Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Touhou isn't 'associated with the alt-right' and pretending it is is just letting them claim a work of art via a few idiots spamming contextless memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Touhou is associated with the alt-right insofar that Touhou is popular with weeaboos. Nothing particularly strong there.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The GDQ thread hates Touhou so I’m unsurprised someone would just drop that statement unchallenged

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, to be perfectly fair I watched the Touhou Luna Nights run but the instant someone said "I should probably explain the lore" I immediately panicked and muted the audio for the rest of the video. I mean, maybe it was okay but I'm not taking any chances.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I think it's very fitting that the alt-right weeaboos represent themselves as an angry white thing that never leaves home and does whatever it's told.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I have no idea what you're talking about but I can only assume it is an insult to Momiji???

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i will not let nazis have touhou

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

El Burbo posted:

The GDQ thread hates Touhou so I’m unsurprised someone would just drop that statement unchallenged

How can one hate Touhou

Not interested yeah, but

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

a cartoon duck posted:

i will not let nazis have touhou

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

How can one hate Touhou

Not interested yeah, but

probably because they saw a touhou at a GDQ 8 years ago and hated it ever since or something

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Ammat The Ankh posted:

This is the first I'm hearing of it, though I also don't hang out in the same places as the Alt-Right.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's not much of a story if it's what i'm thinking about. There was a bullet hell run at GDQ and the runner was an alt-right guy and someone in the SA thread posted about how bullet hell fans are alt-right because of Touhou. And nobody bothered to reply.

It was this, yeah.

I guess I'm just overestimating things, then.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
fellas this might be a controversial statement but here it is:

touhou is good

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nages posted:

touhou is good

if I'm gonna die on a hill, I'd make it this one

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nages posted:

touhou is good

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1217681623677722625

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Clarste posted:

I mean, to be perfectly fair I watched the Touhou Luna Nights run but the instant someone said "I should probably explain the lore" I immediately panicked and muted the audio for the rest of the video. I mean, maybe it was okay but I'm not taking any chances.

He just explained the basic plot of the fangame, which is as throwaway as can be anyway.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nages posted:

touhou is good

hosed up, but agreed

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

touhou is strong and real and you are all my friends :unsmith:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Now that alt-right chat is out of the way:

leather fedora posted:

Ever wanted to play Puzzle Bobble with Touhou characters? Taito has you covered this Februrary.

https://www.taito.co.jp/touhouSB

As you'd expect it only has EoSD through SA characters, because heaven forbid we put The Crown Prince into a fangame. And not even the best EoSD through SA characters. Where're Meiling, Okuu, Yuuka, Yuugi, and dancing meme Orin?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

As you'd expect it only has EoSD through SA characters, because heaven forbid we put The Crown Prince into a fangame.
i'm working on it

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

lightrook posted:

touhou is strong and real and you are all my friends :unsmith:

that's the real spellcard we claimed along the way :unsmith:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A large, famous, long-lived publisher developing a fangame of an indie shmup developed by a solitary beer enthusiast. Videogames are weird.

Although I suppose it makes sense that it's Taito, since Zun worked there for a while before his games really took off.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The Kins posted:

Although I suppose it makes sense that it's Taito, since Zun worked there for a while before his games really took off.

didn't ZUN leave taito on bad terms because he committed the unforgivable crime of leaving your job on time and not saying for an extra three hours, so they swamped him with work as punishment until he said gently caress this poo poo and made Touhou instead? or was that a different developer?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
As far as I'm aware, he just wasn't satisfied with the way a larger game dev company worked. He wanted more general involvement in their creation but the nature of the beast is to be assigned to a specific area, so he worked on a few projected then bounced, presumably on amicable terms.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

didn't ZUN leave taito on bad terms because he committed the unforgivable crime of leaving your job on time and not saying for an extra three hours, so they swamped him with work as punishment until he said gently caress this poo poo and made Touhou instead? or was that a different developer?
To go write manga, a job famous for its light workload and lenient deadlines?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

To go write manga, a job famous for its light workload and lenient deadlines?

Aren't all his mangas in monthly and quarterly magazines

not to say its a light work load but I imagine it is less intensive than like a shonen jump series, especially since he's not also drawing them

Unless I've completely missed what mangas Zun writes outside of touhou. Which, possible

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
More specifically, if I remember right, he was also on board as the head programmer for a project that got canned after like a full year of development or something, and the cancellation of all of that work as just wasted effort disillusioned him from large-scale game development. I don't remember where I read this, but it's stuck in my head for ages.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I saw recently (I think at something he did at TGS) that ZUN worked on Graffiti Kingdom and it blew my mind because I remember playing it way back when at a friend's place and never thought about it since.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah, Reimu actually makes a cameo in that as "Flying Maiden".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mdct posted:

More specifically, if I remember right, he was also on board as the head programmer for a project that got canned after like a full year of development or something, and the cancellation of all of that work as just wasted effort disillusioned him from large-scale game development. I don't remember where I read this, but it's stuck in my head for ages.
ZUN talks about this in that Untold History Of Japanese Game Developers book that was kind of a mess. Basically, Touhou got big enough that he no longer needed to maintain his day job at Taito, so he decided he'd leave after his next project, which was for the PS3. That got cancelled after about a year of development, which stunk, but he stayed around because a colleague got their concept for a Wii U project approved. When that also got cancelled, he jumped ship. It was basically a two year stretch with no releases or career movement, so it wasn't fun anymore.

Apparently, at one point, much earlier, Taito asked ZUN to do a Touhou arcade game under the Taito brand. He flat-out refused because he didn't want to lose control of his baby. So this Switch game is pretty interesting from a couple of historical perspectives...

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
3peso's been posting screenshots of Labyrinth of Touhou 3 on twitter.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Finally, a third chance to try to get people to call it "Touhou Labyrinth" instead.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am excited for labyrinth of touhou 3

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I too am interested in Etrian Gensokyo

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Golden Battler posted:

hell yes

FractalSandwich posted:

Finally, a third chance to try to get people to call it "Touhou Labyrinth" instead.
hell no

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Even though the official website abbreviates it as "THL"? Blind fools...

Be at peace, Fake English Gentlemen. I understand your true genius...

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Golden Battler posted:

gently caress YESSSSS

Yet another Team 9 playthrough, here I come!

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Snooze Cruise posted:

I am excited for labyrinth of touhou 3

Labyrinth of Touhou ftw.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gensokyo Odyssey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Golden Battler posted:

Hell yeah, this is good news. Although my understanding is this might be a while away cause they're assisting/working on some other game right now?
Also I've seen rumors of a Steam rerelease of 1 and 2 but I can't find anything about that at all. Guessing it was just rumors.