Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You're allowed to splice in camp in your horror. The juxtaposition can help sell horror later down the line, or keep things from being overly awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Chin Strap posted:

Yeah so does Nic Cage in Mandy. You going to say that is campy too?

You mean the movie where he snorts a giant pile of coke off a glass shard after killing a drugged out demon-biker? Yeah, Mandy is camp as gently caress.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

DatonKallandor posted:

You mean the movie where he snorts a giant pile of coke off a glass shard after killing a drugged out demon-biker? Yeah, Mandy is camp as gently caress.

Sarcasm is hard on the internet

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

God drat you loving SteamLink. After last month's update you started randomly desyncing with the network, and then last week's update caused you to randomly degrade in video quality, and as of this morning's update you can't even load video.

Edit: Oh, fixed by switching out of beta. Didn't even realize I was on that. :v:

credburn fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 16, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Pwnstar posted:

I think what jars people is that the tone in RE7 isn't consistent. There are extended stretches where nothing is funny or goofy and you are expected to be engaging seriously with the characters.
I mean, I wouldn't disagree with that? This isn't actually wrong. On the other hand, if that bothers someone, maybe Resident Evil as a series just isn't for them, because horror interspersed with occasional moments of levity and humor is just what Resident Evil does. At first more unintentionally, maybe, but then very definitely by design.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Chin Strap posted:

Yeah so does Nic Cage in Mandy. You going to say that is campy too?

As an aside I'd never heard of this movie and I just looked it up and :stare:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Anyone else have fond memories of playing Motocross Madness and Motocross Madness 2? Especially the second one.. doing checkpoint races or crazy stunts to rack up points. The games are around 20 years old now.. it's a shame that they never got any newer sequels. As well as Monster Truck Madness 2...

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

big red racing is where its at

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

queeb posted:

big red racing is where its at

We had so much fun playing that one multiplayer.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pwnstar posted:

I think what jars people is that the tone in RE7 isn't consistent. There are extended stretches where nothing is funny or goofy and you are expected to be engaging seriously with the characters.

This is also true of RE4 though.

Also literally every other RE

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Resident Evil is anime. Of course it's campy and also expects you to take it seriously.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

Resident Evil is anime. Of course it's campy and also expects you to take it seriously.

Does it become more or less anime/camp from OG RE1 voice acting to current era RE voice acting?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Chris Redfield punching a boulder.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The word camp doesnt mean much these days.... but my understanding of it involved exaggerated, over the top reactions which RE doesnt have, RE is more people mostly downplaying the seriousness/craziness of what's going on (the claire Leon interactions in RE2Remake being my best example).

"Hey, it's that dog" being an example of RE4 humor. Or the galleon room in general.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 16, 2020

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I can afford one of the Atelier games. Which one should I get between Roronoa, Meruru, Totori?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Irritated Goat posted:

I can afford one of the Atelier games. Which one should I get between Roronoa, Meruru, Totori?

The OP of the Atelier thread says Rorona.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Leal posted:

Does it become more or less anime/camp from OG RE1 voice acting to current era RE voice acting?
Minimally less. Like, the Jill Sandwich like is still in the game, just with less broken English.

No Wave posted:

The word camp doesnt mean much these days.... but my understanding of it involved exaggerated, over the top reactions which RE doesnt have, RE is more people mostly downplaying the seriousness/craziness of what's going on (the claire Leon interactions in RE2Remake being the best example).
If "secret weapon time" and "chew on that, you overgrown son of a bitch" aren't campy, I'm not really sure I know what the word means. RE2make is incredibly cheesy.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
womp womp

https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/1217861009446182912

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

lol of course.

Did Witcher 3 get delayed or should I be DX: Mankind Divided worried?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Ambaire posted:

Anyone else have fond memories of playing Motocross Madness and Motocross Madness 2? Especially the second one.. doing checkpoint races or crazy stunts to rack up points. The games are around 20 years old now.. it's a shame that they never got any newer sequels. As well as Monster Truck Madness 2...

There was a sequel on the Xbox 360. I vaguely remember it being fun but the framerate may have had problems or something.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Look Sir Droids posted:

lol of course.

Did Witcher 3 get delayed or should I be DX: Mankind Divided worried?

Witcher 3 had a 3 month delay a couple months before it was supposed to come out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Welp, guess I've got more time to finish Red Dead 2.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

God dammit, I was looking forwards to that. Though I was holding off on preordering Doom Eternal since Cyberpunk was coming out right after, so I guess I’ll go do that now.

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

So is Doom Eternal the only big Spring release that hasn't been delayed at this point?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Just in time for the 3000 series RTX cards to come out over the summer.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Nullset posted:

So is Doom Eternal the only big Spring release that hasn't been delayed at this point?

Don't jinx it bitch...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

StrixNebulosa posted:

The OP of the Atelier thread says Rorona.

I'm not the OP of the Atelier thread but I also say Rorona.

Nullset posted:

It was already delayed from last year to March.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Nullset posted:

Doom Eternal was delayed from last year into Spring so it already had a delay.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Animal Crossing hasn't been delayed. (knock on wood)

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

MagusDraco posted:

Witcher 3 had a 3 month delay a couple months before it was supposed to come out.

Cool. I'm not worried then. Although I assume this delay is because of the late push for multiplayer. Which is actually good. Should mean the core game is fine and good to go.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm fine with the delay. I'm excited, yes, but CDPR is a stable enough entity that I doubt there's anything to worry about.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

As an aside I'd never heard of this movie and I just looked it up and :stare:

hey motherfucker go watch Mandie. ok?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Great. Delayed to a weekend in September I'm extremely busy on. Ah well.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Delays are almost never the cause of or related to a game being bad if it ends up bad, don't worry about it.

E: To clarify, because goons, most games that are bad - especially at a CDPR/EA/Ubi/whomever level of dev - are bad from the bottom up. A delay can be good for tech or to add content but if the game design is rotten that isn't going to change.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 16, 2020

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

delayed until my birthday :3:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The 2020 release schedule is absolutely desolate, or am I just uninformed? Is Humankind supposed to come out this year? That, Cyberpunk, a game freed from exclusivity (Outer Wilds), and a port of a 2019 game (Death Stranding) are all I have on my 2020 radar.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1217884242857877505

Sony's after that steam money

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Now do Bloodborne.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

The 2020 release schedule is absolutely desolate, or am I just uninformed? Is Humankind supposed to come out this year? That, Cyberpunk, a game freed from exclusivity (Outer Wilds), and a port of a 2019 game (Death Stranding) are all I have on my 2020 radar.

Just things in general that people are probably excited for;

Nioh 2, DOOM Eternal, FF7 Remake, Last of Us 2, Bravely Default II, Crusader Kings 3, Elden Ring, Dying Light 2, Hollow Knight: Silksong, VTM:B 2.

That said, I definitely bought the least new releases of a year in years last year (christ what a sentence) and I'll likely do the same here. Hard to say if it's a declining interest, though I don't think so or just a weirdly skint couple of years.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cool. I mean, I don't really want to actually play it or anything, but cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mordja posted:

Cool. I mean, I don't really want to actually play it or anything, but cool.

Did you already play it on PS4? It was a goddamn blast, I really enjoyed it. Shooting bits off of robots was so satisfying. It was like Monster Hunter but fun.