Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/koroguchi/status/1214885242051297280

Lookit him go~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just have the balls to let Kong win, Legendary :argh:

Kong already won in the 60's and if humans have proved anything it's that apes suck at being top dog. Give nature back to the nuke reptiles.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Desumaytah posted:

Kong already won in the 60's and if humans have proved anything it's that apes suck at being top dog. Give nature back to the nuke reptiles.

The Super Mario Bros movie shows us that world isn't any better.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Darko posted:

The Super Mario Bros movie shows us that world isn't any better.

This entire series is just a long-form prequel to the Super Mario Bros. reboot.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yeah Godzilla got robbed last time. That ape's gotta go.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mantis42 posted:

Yeah Godzilla got robbed last time. That ape's gotta go.

But electricity makes Kong stronger!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean it feels like it’ll be hard to really build to in the course of one film, but... this is probably the last of this series so gently caress it let’s go wild, make Final Wars but at ten times the budget.

This is my feeling. KotM was insane already, let's just go completely batshit with a huge budget and see where that takes us.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cythereal posted:

This is my feeling. KotM was insane already, let's just go completely batshit with a huge budget and see where that takes us.

Make it a musical

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The parts of Rampage that are just the monsters rampaging are really good. For a PG-13 movie a surprising number of tiny CGI people get brutally owned.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Davros1 posted:

But electricity makes Kong stronger!

It makes Godzilla stronger too and also magnetic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gripweed posted:

The parts of Rampage that are just the monsters rampaging are really good. For a PG-13 movie a surprising number of tiny CGI people get brutally owned.

That being remarkably accurate to the games, where you eat random people to restore health.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Arcsquad12 posted:

It makes Godzilla stronger too and also magnetic.

GvsMG Godzilla would not have any of Kong's poo poo if they ever met again in the showa canon. That is a monster who has conquered his demons and overcome some poo poo.

Hell, he wouldn't need to beat Kong. He'd probably just forgive him.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I would watch this

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Have they said if that Arrow Gamera collection will be released in the US?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Gripweed posted:

Have they said if that Arrow Gamera collection will be released in the US?

I think I saw a tweet from them saying that they plan to release it eventually, but that they don't have a date set yet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched Godzilla King of the Monsters. There was a lot of good stuff in there but holy poo poo is the main guy the worst protagonist in history. Even setting aside how loving terrible and overdone "divorced dad who just wants his family back" is.

He's introduced as a bio-acoustics expert. His skills in bio-acoustics never come up, every time there's some bio-acoustic work to be done one of the other characters does it. Instead Early Edition is useful for his knowledge of military and terrorist tactics, his search and rescue skills, his instinctive understanding of monster behavior, and his ability to open jammed hangar bay doors. loving hell, I thought it was a bit silly when the troop in Godzilla was the only bomb troop available to do the thing, but at least he was a bomb troop and the thing he did involved a bomb.

We are also informed that Early Edition has been completely uninvolved with Monarch for the past five years. He doesn't know anything about their current situation or monsters. Despite that, he easily takes control of whatever situation he's in and everyone simply defers to his judgement, often without a word of complaint. Because I guess they all know he's the main character. So clearly he would know more about troop stuff than the troops, and more about monster behavior than the monster researchers.

The third thing we're told about him is that he hates monsters. Wants them all wiped out. Especially Godzilla, the one that killed his son. Despite that, when other people in the room are saying "let's shoot Godzilla", Early Edition always counsels deescalation, trusting Godzilla, and helping Godzilla. Even the guy whose entire character is "trusts the monsters" is outdone by Early Edition's trusting of monsters. Which ties into my previous point. Early Edition doesn't just take over character's plot agency by telling them what to do, he takes over their loving character traits.

Basically, he's always right, he always has the correct opinion, and all the other characters do what he says. Despite none of that making sense with any of the actual established character traits of any of them

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you mean to tell me KOTM is a bad film....

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
True, but KotM is still on the top of my list when it comes to 2019 films that grasp the zeitgeist in a meaningful manner. I should probably do a write up on that, but until that time I offer a kickass metal cover of the best kaiju's theme.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Stairmaster posted:

you mean to tell me KOTM is a bad film....

I did not say that. I liked it overall. The monster action was great, the redesigns were great, they were willing to just have Masers and the Oxygen Destroyer be things in the movie without being ashamed of the silliness or over explaining them, they even went further by including the hollow earth theory. The Mammoth ape thing was a great new monster design. The only parts I didn't like was when Early Edition was doing stuff.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I still think the way to fix KotM is pretty simple

Cut the dad out of the film, make the main characters Emma and the Serizawa crew.

Emma doesn't want to wipe the kaiju out- she thinks Godzilla isn't a good enough alpha. She wants to put a new king on the throne, and his name is Ghidorah. A King who will rally the kaiju to proper action against humanity and fix this loving planet, instead of only reacting at his leisure.

Give Maddison some more screen time, give Charles Dance more screen time, and have the traditional good guy side be helmed by Sally Fields and Wantabe. Just don't have her get murked by Ghidorah and instead have her and Mothra Twin lady take over after Serizawa sacrifices himself.

Emma realizes that Ghidorah is hazardous to the Earth, not beneficial, and comes full circle by sacrificing herself to protect the true King.

Maddison gets to be an orphan who is adopted by Mothra.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I sort of gave up on trying to game out a more satisfying/coherent/"good" direction for KOTM to take a few days after I first saw it. But I will say that the whole conceit where the movie takes the concept of "kings" and "alphas" perfectly literally never struck me as anything beyond hopelessly stupid and I really wish it wasn't a thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I did rather like that GOZILLA ANIME TRILOGY SPOILERS it looks like they're basically gonna end up at the same place as the Godzilla anime trilogy ending, just a little more peacefully

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

HannibalBarca posted:

I sort of gave up on trying to game out a more satisfying/coherent/"good" direction for KOTM to take a few days after I first saw it. But I will say that the whole conceit where the movie takes the concept of "kings" and "alphas" perfectly literally never struck me as anything beyond hopelessly stupid and I really wish it wasn't a thing.

It's not even a true science any more. The guy who first put the theory forward came out and debunked the whole alpha poo poo and found out that the leaders of a wolf pack were the parents. The word is just something for manchildren to project their insecurities on.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The movie DOES try to say something to that effect from what I remember

But yeah. It's stupid pop science

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Burkion posted:

I still think the way to fix KotM is pretty simple

Cut the dad out of the film, make the main characters Emma and the Serizawa crew.

Emma doesn't want to wipe the kaiju out- she thinks Godzilla isn't a good enough alpha. She wants to put a new king on the throne, and his name is Ghidorah. A King who will rally the kaiju to proper action against humanity and fix this loving planet, instead of only reacting at his leisure.

Give Maddison some more screen time, give Charles Dance more screen time, and have the traditional good guy side be helmed by Sally Fields and Wantabe. Just don't have her get murked by Ghidorah and instead have her and Mothra Twin lady take over after Serizawa sacrifices himself.

Emma realizes that Ghidorah is hazardous to the Earth, not beneficial, and comes full circle by sacrificing herself to protect the true King.

Maddison gets to be an orphan who is adopted by Mothra.

I'm fine with the Flying Nun being a Kaiju now

Real talk, I lost so much interest when Sally Hawkins got merked, she's not in enough movies

Edit: forgot to add I was in Walmart over the weekend and they had some of the KOTM (crappy) toys on clearance for $5, so now my sons have their own little Godzilla & Rodan to play with

brocked fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 22, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Burkion posted:

The movie DOES try to say something to that effect from what I remember

But yeah. It's stupid pop science

I'm okay with it being true for kaiju, I mean they break all the other laws of nature.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Thread.
https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1219481265805590528?s=20

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

I did not say that. I liked it overall. The monster action was great, the redesigns were great, they were willing to just have Masers and the Oxygen Destroyer be things in the movie without being ashamed of the silliness or over explaining them, they even went further by including the hollow earth theory.

Horse-poo poo. Godzilla 2 is a poisonously insincere version of The Avengers, which was itself a debasement of Ishiro Honda’s Atragon. Godzilla 2 does everything in its power to reassure the audience that it’s just another action-comedy about Family. Godzilla 2 is the robot toy in Big that turns into an office building.

You know what’s silly? Attacking Godzilla with a tank. You know what’s not silly? Attacking him with Tony Stark - because now you’re expressing a humiliating equivalence. Independence Day 2 made the same fatal mistake of giving the idiots space-ships instead of fighter jets.

A maser without the ATV it’s clumsily strapped to is just an Adobe Aftereffect - and imagine yukking it up over a perfunctory reference to the vile death weapon in Godzilla 1954. It causes flesh to rapidly dissolve. It’s got a funny name.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

King of the Monsters is the only film this year that mattered.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You best not be talking poo poo about Cats.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
honestly, king of the monsters wasn't even remotely batshit enough. you know what the climax needed? every human on earth simultaneously unleashing a battle cry to resonate with mothra's, not some macguffin that reverbs it with, like, one person's voice. humans aren't the newest kaiju, humanity is the newest kaiju.

also the Argo (the stealth helicarrier) should have been a giant transforming robot

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it should have transformed into a robot and required two pilots, synced together

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Horse-poo poo. Godzilla 2 is a poisonously insincere version of The Avengers, which was itself a debasement of Ishiro Honda’s Atragon. Godzilla 2 does everything in its power to reassure the audience that it’s just another action-comedy about Family. Godzilla 2 is the robot toy in Big that turns into an office building.

You know what’s silly? Attacking Godzilla with a tank. You know what’s not silly? Attacking him with Tony Stark - because now you’re expressing a humiliating equivalence. Independence Day 2 made the same fatal mistake of giving the idiots space-ships instead of fighter jets.

A maser without the ATV it’s clumsily strapped to is just an Adobe Aftereffect - and imagine yukking it up over a perfunctory reference to the vile death weapon in Godzilla 1954. It causes flesh to rapidly dissolve. It’s got a funny name.

Hey I know that you've never let facts get in the way of your analysis but Masers not on tracks have been a thing for a long time in the Japanese movies. There have been Masers on airplanes, Masers on MechaGodzilla, Masers on flying submarines, handheld Maser rifles used by mutant superhumans.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Focusing on this for now, but this sounds like an almost unintentional misreading of of what the film does and its presentation of humanity in nature. The fantasy weapons of KotM cannot be seen outside the context of the first film, in which they were very much absent. Putting your fate in them is like trusting Elon Musk and his ilk to save us from climate change: a particular hubris that speaks to a desire that isn't rooted in denial, but in the unspoken believe that humanity is superior against all odds. Humanity versus nature, so to speak, rather than humanity as a part of it. And just like the believe that we can continue existing in late stage capitalism as long as it gives us all brand new Tesla's to purchase, it's a gruesome misconception that is rooted in the very things that caused our problems to begin with.

Attacking Godzilla with Tony Stark is only serious when it works. What's 'silly' is showing how Iron Man is essentially the same as a tank and equally senseless. Silly humans.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You best not be talking poo poo about Cats.

Cats can eat my rear end

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Cats can eat my rear end

Macavity would, he breaks human laws

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

Hey I know that you've never let facts get in the way of your analysis but Masers not on tracks have been a thing for a long time in the Japanese movies. There have been Masers on airplanes, Masers on MechaGodzilla, Masers on flying submarines, handheld Maser rifles used by mutant superhumans.

I did not write anything about the Japanese movies being superior. As we all know, many of them are not very great at all - but that’s also entirely beside the point.

What I wrote is that masers are not silly. The concept of a microwave weapon isn’t a funny concept. As with any weapon, a maser’s actually a fairly horrifying concept - although the impact is often dulled because a ‘maser beam’ is always presented as just a fairly straightforward ‘glowing line’ effect.

It’s the same as with the ‘Oxygen Destroyer’ reference in Godzilla 2. The concept isn’t remotely funny, while the presentation of it is both unexceptional and perfunctory.

As noted, what is debatably silly is whatever the maser is attached to. In this case, we have an underwater warehouse disguised as an oil rig - but it’s also presented as ‘impressive’, not as silly. I guess it’s silly/dumb that they built the massive empty space underwater for no reason? Or am I expected to just laugh reflexively at the concept of a warehouse?

Sobatchja Morda posted:

The fantasy weapons of KotM cannot be seen outside the context of the first film, in which they were very much absent. Putting your fate in them is like trusting Elon Musk and his ilk to save us from climate change

There’s no critique of capitalism in the film. The stupid futuretech just... exists, even though we can assume it’s built by Lockheed Martin or whatever.

Then it’s used to literally ‘fight pollution’, and it works without any joke.

Contrast this junk with the vastly superior film The Meg, where we actually do get a thinly-veiled Musk caricature.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

Macavity would, he breaks human laws

This is true.

Is rear end eating illegal now?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually I really want to see SMG's take on Cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd watch a Legendary Mothra standalone film where she goes around defending people from rowdy monsters after Kong and Godzilla perish defeating MechaDestroyah.