Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'll be nice and give him a C for trying to draw varied backgrounds.

Then move it to a D+ for the terrible crotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I’m more entranced by his nonsense monster foot than his ridickulous package.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TheHan posted:

Wanna stamp a big F on this page. No sense of relation between these panels and Snout journeying through them.

Mookie is terribly lazy, so when he expends a little bit of actual effort drawing a landscape, he needs to make sure he'll never need to draw the same landscape again.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

See, THERE'S that No Man's Sky influence. But yeah, he only got creative during a travel montage so he wouldn't have to draw them again. I guess Snout just lived in the really lame part of the wild edge...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rotten Red Rod posted:

See, THERE'S that No Man's Sky influence. But yeah, he only got creative during a travel montage so he wouldn't have to draw them again. I guess Snout just lived in the really lame part of the wild edge...

The mild edge

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mikl posted:

My son's name is also Bort.

Nice to meet you, Nart.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Nice travel montage. Very unique for Mookie.

Can't help but feel it's a "here's backgrounds that will never appear again."

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I have no sense of scale for the wild edge. He has his sad bindle over his shoulder and is just casually walking. Has he been walking for an hour, and the magic of the wild edge is such that the landscape changes like a Minecraft map? Has he been walking for a day? A week?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

No, but there was Bort, who might be Snout's ancestor.

Instead of having a hosed-up tail, Bort had a hosed-up face.

These two comics are noticeably more interesting to read than anything in legacy, but I really can't put my finger on why exactly

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
They actually move the story along, instead of spending 3-4 panels to depict a single action.

Maybe his plan with Legacy was to make us all compliment the OG series in comparison?

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 14, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elysiume posted:

I have no sense of scale for the wild edge. He has his sad bindle over his shoulder and is just casually walking. Has he been walking for an hour, and the magic of the wild edge is such that the landscape changes like a Minecraft map? Has he been walking for a day? A week?

He literally only has a clump of berries for food so he's probably been gone for five minutes.

He's worse prepared than that goon who tried hiking across America with a baby stroller.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ague Proof posted:

The bard will have a sign-language interpreter and subtitles.

I remember an extended piano sequence in Quiet Man that was completely useless because there was no goddamn loving sound.

Can't wait to see how they do that in pictures!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Hahahaha thanks for reminding me that exists.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Come on man this is exactly the page we got Monday. We only get 3 pages a week why twist the knife.

At least this time Snout is interacting with the locales.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Well, he did blog that it was going to be a week of walking

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Come now everyone, get your fill of backgrounds for the year.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

how large is the wild edge

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

maltesh posted:

Good golly god :psyduck:. That blog contains everything wrong with this comic but drat I’m at least glad he’s passionate about it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Someone has to be.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I mean... I guess? Words are cheap. We can see the passion on the page in the effort expended on creating the comic and improving his skill. I know a few people here are commending him for getting outside his comfort zone with a few things in this comic, but I'm not really impressed, as it appears to mostly be the first time he's tried to do these this with no real understanding of how to do them well, instead of practicing and honing his craft before creating and committing to a final version.

I mean, sure, we see a lot of first-timer webcomics where the art improves as time goes on and the artist gets better, but Mookie has been doing this for over ten years. You'd expect him to put in SOME practice and learning in between then and now, but he still mostly appears to be winging it when it comes to the new elements.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Oh I’m sure he’s practicing, Mookie’s just got a different idea of it I think. He’s probly not looking at building up shapes or how limbs connect and junk, but more about seeing things he likes and copying that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

There's no evidence he's actually practicing though. I get the feeling his very first landscape attempts are the ones we see here and the few he did on Twitter during Inktober. I think what we're seeing here are the first draft, practice attempts.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

He says in the blog post that these are just cribbed off of Moebius art.

E: And at the risk of sounding snooty, I do find it funny that Mookie talks about only recently discovering the works of one of the most famous comic illustrators of all time. I get that he's more of figure of the Franco-Belgian BD world, but like Jesus Mookie take an interest in the medium.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 15, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There's no evidence he's actually practicing though. I get the feeling his very first landscape attempts are the ones we see here and the few he did on Twitter during Inktober. I think what we're seeing here are the first draft, practice attempts.

Ah, see that I believe. Mookie’s never seemed like the type of artist with the gland that pumps out the self-doubt that would keep them from jumping right into techniques and concepts they aren’t equipped for.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hey, I'm fine with the "inspired by/lifted from Moebius" part. I'm composing electronic music for the first time ever, and most of my tracks so far outright steal elements from other songs I like - key signatures, basslines, structure, beats, etc. It'd be crazy NOT to build on what others have done, it's how we learn.

It'd be nice if he took MORE influence from Moebius. His incredible attention to detail that somehow meshes with the stark simplicity of his lines, in particular. Moebius excelled at creating a sense of place and scale, and he was a master of using perspective. Mookie is copying the surface level parts only, and not employing ANY of those techniques or skill. His perspective is all off, there's little to no sense of scale, some of the plants and other elements barely read as what they're supposed to be, and overall everything was obviously sketched out as quickly as possible. Look how sloppy that tree is in the last panel and please tell me how Moebius influenced that at all.

Mookie calls this sequence "dreamlike", which is apparently what he took from Moebius. I wouldn't use that to describe Moebius' art at all - the settings and plot, maybe, and some of the imaginative designs, but the drawings themselves were always very stark and grounded. Kind of the polar opposite of Mookie's white void.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 15, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

maltesh posted:

The thing about that blog is how Mookie claims to be challenging himself and going out of his comfort zone with the Snout's "Dialogless" Snoutventures.

Also Moebius has been hugely influential outside of euro comics. He worked for Marvel for a while, drew some Silver Surfer albums. People like Mike Mignola, Neil Gaiman, or Hayao Miyazaki all cited him as huge influences on their own work. And he's made concept art for cinema, too, like the costumes for Alien. For Mookie to just discover him now betrays an impressive lack of curiosity -- especially for one claiming to be a nerd about fantasy, superheroes, manga, and horror.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I mean, you need to complement Mookie in a bubble. If you come at this from the angle that he's been doing this for 12+ years, then yeah, that's no improvement at all. But if you understand and come from the idea that Mookie will never ever learn, then simple differences in the day to day are praise worthy. He'll forget what he did in a week, but at this point, as a reader you should expect that. He doesn't plan this comic, and he comes at pages from day to day.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hey, I'm fine with the "inspired by/lifted from Moebius" part. I'm composing electronic music for the first time ever, and most of my tracks so far outright steal elements from other songs I like - key signatures, basslines, structure, beats, etc. It'd be crazy NOT to build on what others have done, it's how we learn.

It'd be nice if he took MORE influence from Moebius. His incredible attention to detail that somehow meshes with the stark simplicity of his lines, in particular. Moebius excelled at creating a sense of place and scale, and he was a master of using perspective. Mookie is copying the surface level parts only, and not employing ANY of those techniques or skill. His perspective is all off, there's little to no sense of scale, some of the plants and other elements barely read as what they're supposed to be, and overall everything was obviously sketched out as quickly as possible. Look how sloppy that tree is in the last panel and please tell me how Moebius influenced that at all.

Mookie calls this sequence "dreamlike", which is apparently what he took from Moebius. I wouldn't use that to describe Moebius' art at all - the settings and plot, maybe, and some of the imaginative designs, but the drawings themselves were always very stark and grounded. Kind of the polar opposite of Mookie's white void.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if it wasn't for the fact that these are the only backgrounds and landscapes that Mookie has drawn so far. It's just weird to say and admit that the only times he bothers putting in things like this is when he's directly imitating another's work. this is compounded by the fact that none of these locations mean anything or will be seen again, and the next place that snout will be will definitely be another white void. It doesn't feel like inspiration out exploration so much as lazy self-indulgence.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That and he claims to be taking a risk creating a comic where he can't hide the background with text bubbles, while:

A) there's plenty of webcomics, both old and new, that figured out you don't need to stick to the newspaper style and can have as much space to draw backgrounds as you want, even with a ton of text, and
B) he's STILL avoiding drawing backgrounds with many updates that are walls of text ANYWAY!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah this sequence is a bad idea. All you have is the possibility of visual spectacle, and Mookie just isn't at a level where he can deliver that. It's all still very simple, schematic line drawings with no sense of depth or lighting or anything else that would convey atmosphere. This should be cinematic, it's a montage, it's big sweeping helicopter shots and widescreen vistas, but he just never learned how to draw cool landscapes so here we are.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Mookie has been doing this for over ten years.

Almost twenty :v:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Well let’s get this waste of a week over with.

The Wild Edge contains no less than 9 unique ecosystems but none of which we got to explore in our time there.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And again, as has already been pointed out, there’s next to no sense of a progression of time. We have no idea if this was all in one day, or if it’s been weeks or even months since Snout began his journey. All we’ll ever have to go on for that is the inevitable :words: journal entry that doesn’t even attempt to make itself look like it’s not addressing the audience directly.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Ok. I was fine with the first day of these, but Snout standing on a rock jutting out into Wild Niagra Falls is self-indulgent masterbation.

To borrow from others...How big is the Wild Edge?!

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 16, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I have nothing else to say except to reiterate, if the wild edge was this interesting, why are we only seeing it now?

Regalingualius posted:

And again, as has already been pointed out, there’s next to no sense of a progression of time. We have no idea if this was all in one day, or if it’s been weeks or even months since Snout began his journey. All we’ll ever have to go on for that is the inevitable :words: journal entry that doesn’t even attempt to make itself look like it’s not addressing the audience directly.

Eh that's fine, travel montages are pretty common in comics and other media, the exact length of time or distance isn't really important to the story. I'm actually on board with the concept and presentation of this sequence - it's the technique and the juxtaposition to previous comics that bothers me.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 16, 2020

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That waterfall landscape isn't terrible. There's something approaching a sense of scale there

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

ninjewtsu posted:

That waterfall landscape isn't terrible. There's something approaching a sense of scale there

I’ll agree to that, though it would absolutely be better served with some coloring. It took me a moment to figure out that it was that, and not just some random crater.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I recognized it as a waterfall but the mist and splashing looks more like treetops than his actual treetops.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I did not parse it as a waterfall until it was mentioned as such in this thread. I saw it as a big crater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

TheHan posted:

Well let’s get this waste of a week over with.

The Wild Edge contains no less than 9 unique ecosystems but none of which we got to explore in our time there.

Impressive goatse in panel 2