Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There are, and they're loving terrible.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39516346/ns/us_news-life/t/no-pay-no-spray-firefighters-let-home-burn/ posted:

Firefighters in rural Tennessee let a home burn to the ground last week because the homeowner hadn't paid a $75 fee.

Gene Cranick of Obion County and his family lost all of their possessions in the Sept. 29 fire, along with three dogs and a cat. 

"They could have been saved if they had put water on it, but they didn't do it," Cranick told MSNBC's Keith Olbermann.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39516346/ns/us_news-life/t/no-pay-no-spray-firefighters-let-home-burn/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Feel like we're one step away from firefighters offering to buy your house and only putting the fire out if you sell to them, Crassus style

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Is that the story where the put out a fire two times and each time said "next time you really have to have paid first" or a different one?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Ika posted:

Is that the story where the put out a fire two times and each time said "next time you really have to have paid first" or a different one?

No, this is the one where the fire department comes to put out the fire on the fence because the neighbors were paid up, but let this familys' house burn because of a $75 fee that wasn't paid.

One of the owners' sons was arrested for attacking the fire chief, who was present, for letting it burn.

Tennessee is a loving shithole on par with Florida and Mississippi. Don't ever move there.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The tragedy is that most homeowner's insurance will pay a fire department fee as part of indemnifying a homeowner's claim involving fire dept/EMS.

These fuckwad fire departments should know that.

Wobbulated
Apr 24, 2007

by sebmojo

DandyLion posted:

Yeah this was my though as well.

Microburst. I doubt they would have been able to touch down smoothly at the end if they had a hydraulic failure.

Nothing about any part of that landing was smooth even discounting everything before the car fell off the helicopter. You can land a lot smoother than that boost off.

Wobbulated fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 16, 2020

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm kind of wondering what kind of person doesnt pay the fire dept fee if you are in a county like that tho

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

PainterofCrap posted:

The tragedy is that most homeowner's insurance will pay a fire department fee as part of indemnifying a homeowner's claim involving fire dept/EMS.

These fuckwad fire departments should know that.

quote:

Cranick says he told the operator he would pay whatever is necessary to have the fire put out.

His offer wasn't accepted, he said.
South Fulton's mayor said that the fire department can't let homeowners pay the fee on the spot, because the only people who would pay would be those whose homes are on fire.
I guess the idea of having a higher on the spot fee is just too complicated for the extortionate firefighters of Tennessee.

KoRMaK posted:

I'm kind of wondering what kind of person doesnt pay the fire dept fee if you are in a county like that tho
I think that article paints a good picture:

quote:

The fire started when the Cranicks' grandson was burning trash near the family home. As it grew out of control, the Cranicks called 911, but the fire department from the nearby city of South Fulton would not respond.

"We wasn't on their list," he said the operators told him.

Cranick, who lives outside the city limits, admits he "forgot" to pay the annual $75 fee.
"Insurance is going to pay for what money I had on the policy, looks like. But like everything else, I didn't have enough."
Old man who's losing it and can't keep track of bills and doesn't know how much a dollar is now, or just plain idiot? Probably a bit of both.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 16, 2020

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
They let it burn as a warning to others. Y'know, like the mafia.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

KoRMaK posted:

One part poor people, one part freeman on the land.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Holy poo poo. I was going to just post the pics from this dump that I hadn’t seen in this thread yet, but then I had like two dozen pics to post and, well, just go look, there’s a lot here, some really ace work:

https://imgur.com/gallery/hTB8tx1

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Tennessee is a loving shithole on par with Florida and Mississippi. Don't ever move there.

My coworkers keep telling me that they want to move there because it's "the #1 state in the country", by which I assume they mean has the lowest taxes. They never bring up what those taxes could be paying for.

quote:

South Fulton's mayor said that the fire department can't let homeowners pay the fee on the spot, because the only people who would pay would be those whose homes are on fire.

What if, hear me out, we made it a law that everybody automatically paid into a general fund that would pay for the fire department for the entire community.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ Tennessee doesn't have a state income tax, like Florida and some other shithole states. They have 9.25% sales tax in the majority of their counties, though.

E: also Tennessee made it so you can barter with your doctor over payment a few years back. "Here doc, take my 1987 Chevy Celebrity for fixin ma bunion."

KoRMaK posted:

Well, being Tennessee, it was the product of a piss poor public education, probably with a confederate flag on his lawn and a bunch of "don't tread on me" poo poo on his truck.

Given the time period, I wager he had at least two tea party stickers on his truck too.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 16, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I think that article paints a good picture:

Old man who's losing it and can't keep track of bills and doesn't know how much a dollar is now, or just plain idiot? Probably a bit of both.

Who gives a gently caress, though? He could be the Prince of rear end in a top hat Mountain, but whoever has the means to put out his fire and just sits there while his pets and property burn is the loving King.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ra-89078#238a2952

Toggle the satellite map, zoom in on the destination airfield really hard, and scroll through the last few seconds of the flight. Observe the state of the runway.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Uthor posted:

My coworkers keep telling me that they want to move there because it's "the #1 state in the country", by which I assume they mean has the lowest taxes. They never bring up what those taxes could be paying for.

What if, hear me out, we made it a law that everybody automatically paid into a general fund that would pay for the fire department for the entire community.
Opt in fire protection is one of those ideas I can't even fathom. It's intrinsically social, fires spread. Poor socialized fire protection has leveled cities. You can be the freest market motherfucker around and should still think "oh hmm maybe we should socialize fire protection." You can't buy an absence of fires on a market, I don't even understand how it becomes a question.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zedprime posted:

Opt in fire protection is one of those ideas I can't even fathom. It's intrinsically social, fires spread. Poor socialized fire protection has leveled cities. You can be the freest market motherfucker around and should still think "oh hmm maybe we should socialize fire protection." You can't buy an absence of fires on a market, I don't even understand how it becomes a question.

For the same reason that people don't think they need health insurance: "I'm careful, I'm responsible, I'm not going to be the idiot who burns down his house."

People in this thread are aware that poo poo just happens. Squirrels chew up your electrical. A kid does something dumb. You have a human moment of failing and gently caress up with a grease fire and make it way worse.

There's a certain sort of person who believes that pretty much everything bad in the world can be prevented by being smart or clever enough, that all misfortune is ultimately deserved because the person was dumb or negligent.

This is dumb and idiotic, but I've met way too many people who don't think they need liability insurance because they're too safe a driver to hurt anyone or don't need health insurance because they're young and a non-smoker etc.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki posted:

Holy poo poo. I was going to just post the pics from this dump that I hadn’t seen in this thread yet, but then I had like two dozen pics to post and, well, just go look, there’s a lot here, some really ace work:

https://imgur.com/gallery/hTB8tx1

Just as a preview:

There's more, a lot more.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Scrolling from the top down on this it just keeps getting worse

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Who gives a gently caress, though? He could be the Prince of rear end in a top hat Mountain, but whoever has the means to put out his fire and just sits there while his pets and property burn is the loving King.
he could also be the kind of guy who would screw others out of social services by not paying his fair share too

if its an old man that forgot thats really terrible. if its some libertarian or sov cit that thinks paying taxes (or fees to support social services) is for idiots then gently caress em

Wobbulated
Apr 24, 2007

by sebmojo

SelenicMartian posted:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ra-89078#238a2952

Toggle the satellite map, zoom in on the destination airfield really hard, and scroll through the last few seconds of the flight. Observe the state of the runway.

The old "Runway Under Construction" trick

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Scrolling from the top down on this it just keeps getting worse

I don't know this guy's set up seems pretty structurally sound. Maybe there's a chance he slips or something, but I don't see it collapsing like so many of the others are at risk to.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cyrano4747 posted:

For the same reason that people don't think they need health insurance: "I'm careful, I'm responsible, I'm not going to be the idiot who burns down his house."

People in this thread are aware that poo poo just happens. Squirrels chew up your electrical. A kid does something dumb. You have a human moment of failing and gently caress up with a grease fire and make it way worse.

There's a certain sort of person who believes that pretty much everything bad in the world can be prevented by being smart or clever enough, that all misfortune is ultimately deserved because the person was dumb or negligent.

This is dumb and idiotic, but I've met way too many people who don't think they need liability insurance because they're too safe a driver to hurt anyone or don't need health insurance because they're young and a non-smoker etc.
The risk is external though. Short of living on the moon, something on fire completely unrelated to you can threaten you. There is nothing you can buy on a market to help it (short of your personal moon base).

It's not libertarian to prefer opt in fire protection, it's contrarian.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't know this guy's set up seems pretty structurally sound. Maybe there's a chance he slips or something, but I don't see it collapsing like so many of the others are at risk to.

You know he's just doing it for the pose, gotta work that OSHA booty

hard hat firm butt climb that ladder giddyup

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I'd like to know how he got the ladders in there in the first place.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yep, one of the last interactions I had on Facebook before I deleted it was arguing with a high school friend over Obamacare and that was his position. "Why should I be forced to pay for health insurance when I'm healthy and don't need it?"

He was in the army :bravo:

Anyway re. the fire, I'm sure that if Tennessee wants to stay in their libertarian hell world of paying no taxes and hiring private fire departments, any actuary could quickly come up with a figure to charge for on-the-spot firefighting that would compensate for the lost $75 up front. Ten thousand dollars? Twenty? Still cheaper than a new house.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

One rung at a time, obviously.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The door behind the ladder on the left.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/xSgQkAs.mp4

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
(mario jump boing immediately sounds in head)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

zedprime posted:

I listened to a story about a town that went full libertarian, removing garbage cans from parks and turning off street lights, etc. The more affluent areas paid to bring those things back on a street by street basis. They ended up paying more than they ever did in taxes (plus covering only their street, not the entire town), but were happy cause it was their choice and "freeloaders".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Uthor posted:

I listened to a story about a town that went full libertarian, removing garbage cans from parks and turning off street lights, etc. The more affluent areas paid to bring those things back on a street by street basis. They ended up paying more than they ever did in taxes (plus covering only their street, not the entire town), but were happy cause it was their choice and "freeloaders".

That town is called Colorado Springs

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Uthor posted:

This is literally the US healthcare system.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Iron Crowned posted:

That town is called Colorado Springs

Yes. And it sucks here too.

But we have weed and mountains, so that makes up enough for me. And the Springs sits higher in elevation that any "mountain" in Tennessee. I'm physically and physiologically higher here than anyone in Tennessee.

I spent 15 years in Tennessee so maybe I'm just biased. It's a garbage state.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

No, this is the one where the fire department comes to put out the fire on the fence because the neighbors were paid up, but let this familys' house burn because of a $75 fee that wasn't paid.

Left unsaid was that this fire occurred outside the the town being serviced by the volunteer fire department. The town had long said to areas of the surrounding county "If you want to subscribe to our volunteer fire department, you can, it's $75/year to cover the additional costs of responding to calls that aren't even in their area of responsibility."

Given that they'd already responded to the call and were *right there* it's pretty dumb and totally indefensible that they didn't put the fire out until it spread beyond the property boundary, but it's a volunteer force, it exists to serve the town. It costs money to respond to calls, and if the firefighters are out responding to a call out of town what happens when the'res a call in the town? To cover a larger area costs more money, the pool of money and volunteers comes from the residents of the town. The town can't just tax the people who don't live in the town to pay for fire protection and hire more dudes, because those people don't live in the town. What would you rather the town do? Just withdraw the offer completely and stop offering the subscription service?

Sagebrush posted:

Anyway re. the fire, I'm sure that if Tennessee wants to stay in their libertarian hell world of paying no taxes and hiring private fire departments,

Again: This was not a private or for-profit fire department. It was a volunteer fire department, just like most of the rest of them in most of the towns across the country.

FWIW, the town changed things so that their department will respond to all calls within 5 miles of the city limits. If it turns out you don't have the subscription and they need to put your house out, they will, but it'll cost $3500:

https://www.npr.org/2012/03/18/148858042/tenn-town-fights-fire-with-money

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 16, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Uthor posted:

Things like this and the Nestle stance on water I can see how a hosed up brain can arrive at that conclusion. Markets good. Marketize everything, better.

But you can't put "not getting set on fire by a peasant" on a market. It's a simple obvious gap.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phanatic posted:

FWIW, the town changed things so that their department will respond to all calls within 5 miles of the city limits. If it turns out you don't have the subscription and they need to put your house out, they will, but it'll cost $3500:

That seems fair to me if you live in a place where a tax-funded municipal fire department wouldn't work and you choose not to buy the "insurance"/subscription. At 75 dollars a year, the $3500 fee covers 47 years of fire service, and one fire call per ~50 years per house sounds like it's in the right ballpark. Sounds like they did hire an actuary after all!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Phanatic posted:

Left unsaid was that this fire occurred outside the the town being serviced by the volunteer fire department. The town had long said to areas of the surrounding county "If you want to subscribe to our volunteer fire department, you can, it's $75/year to cover the additional costs of responding to calls that aren't even in their area of responsibility."

Given that they'd already responded to the call and were *right there* it's pretty dumb and totally indefensible that they didn't put the fire out until it spread beyond the property boundary, but it's a volunteer force, it exists to serve the town. It costs money to respond to calls, and if the firefighters are out responding to a call out of town what happens when the'res a call in the town? To cover a larger area costs more money, the pool of money and volunteers comes from the residents of the town. The town can't just tax the people who don't live in the town to pay for fire protection and hire more dudes, because those people don't live in the town. What would you rather the town do? Just withdraw the offer completely and stop offering the subscription service?

Again: This was not a private or for-profit fire department. It was a volunteer fire department, just like most of the rest of them in most of the towns across the country.

https://www.npr.org/2012/03/18/148858042/tenn-town-fights-fire-with-money

Yeah that still doesn't make any sense, because they're still within a boundary that determines that their house was within X township. Even when I lived 8 miles from a town in Buttfuck, Illinois, we were still considered part of the closest township in terms of emergency services and general mapping. Our fire departments were volunteer. Yeah, they'd have a hard time making it to the fire, but when you live that far out, you shouldn't expect much to be able to be done.

My grandparents' house burnt down in the late 80s, about 9 miles from town. Everyone and all animals escaped fine, but by the time the fire department got there, wasn't poo poo to save. That town got a cut of the taxes paid to the county to service rural properties, just like every other little town around it. But Illinois isn't Tennessee.

And if you're worried that there won't be a truck to respond because the main truck is on a farm somewhere putting out a grain bin fire or whatever, that's why there are more towns. It wasn't uncommon to see pump trucks come from other townships to help put poo poo out, because the county had the tax revenue to hand out. It was especially common to see multiple township departments during crop fires, but then, it was also common for all the local farmers to see the smoke and haul rear end over to help put it out, or harvest what could be pulled before the fire eats it.

Tennessee as a state is just a bunch of greedy fucks with an annoyingly misinterpreted as friendly accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah that still doesn't make any sense, because they're still within a boundary that determines that their house was within X township. Even when I lived 8 miles from a town in Buttfuck, Illinois, we were still considered part of the closest township in terms of emergency services and general mapping. Our fire departments were volunteer. Yeah, they'd have a hard time making it to the fire, but when you live that far out, you shouldn't expect much to be able to be done.

My grandparents' house burnt down in the late 80s, about 9 miles from town. Everyone and all animals escaped fine, but by the time the fire department got there, wasn't poo poo to save. That town got a cut of the taxes paid to the county to service rural properties, just like every other little town around it. But Illinois isn't Tennessee.

And if you're worried that there won't be a truck to respond because the main truck is on a farm somewhere putting out a grain bin fire or whatever, that's why there are more towns. It wasn't uncommon to see pump trucks come from other townships to help put poo poo out, because the county had the tax revenue to hand out. It was especially common to see multiple township departments during crop fires, but then, it was also common for all the local farmers to see the smoke and haul rear end over to help put it out, or harvest what could be pulled before the fire eats it.

Tennessee as a state is just a bunch of greedy fucks with an annoyingly misinterpreted as friendly accent.

So what I'm getting is that the state sucks, but the town itself did nothing wrong.