Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Tuvix was like the third the best character on Voyager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I never watched Voyager, but they loving murdered Tuvix, holy poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GaryMLevin/status/1217901171722997761

Huh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's kind of a shame, Lindelof said he wanted other people to be able to play in that space

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Well dang. Probably for the best though tbh

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For how good it was I'm fine with them not letting someone else cock things up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Well dang. Probably for the best though tbh

Yeah, good on HBO for not going after the dollars I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Peacock (the NBC streaming service) is doing a The Adventure Zone animated series. Hopefully they got a better deal on that than the MBMBaM series, which somehow ended up with them getting absolutely no money from digital purchases.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

:hmmyes: but also :fuckoff:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Also :lol: at Harry Kim looking like every 90s video game character...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

muscles like this! posted:

Peacock (the NBC streaming service) is doing a The Adventure Zone animated series. Hopefully they got a better deal on that than the MBMBaM series, which somehow ended up with them getting absolutely no money from digital purchases.

I'll put that as one more check mark in the "con" list on getting Peacock.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Aww man that's a bummer (not getting cash for digital I mean). I checked out of TAZ after it got weird. It was right when Griffin said he was gonna let another brother GM. I wonder if it got better.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

Aww man that's a bummer (not getting cash for digital I mean). I checked out of TAZ after it got weird. It was right when Griffin said he was gonna let another brother GM. I wonder if it got better.

I cannot stand any of the McElroy's podcasts, I've tried several of them including TAZ, and they just really grate on me. I just get this vibe of forced monkey-cheese and that just doesn't work for me. Plus they have some really annoying voices on top of it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/jormataccone/status/1217904762387140608?s=20

MacGruber getting a show on NBC's streaming service

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If Peacock can recapture the magic of their late 2000s Thursday night block in this service, I will be happy. The MacGruber movie holds up well.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Always leave 'em wanting more

i want more

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Outsider is making me think that there's no reason to adapt King to film (Ok, Dr Sleep was way better than it has any right to be) but to TV instead. Not his novels, though, the man has so many goddamn insanely good short stories you could make a 60 episode show called Skeleton Crew or whatever that just adapts his best shorts into hourlong episodes. You have things like the Jaunt, Survivor Type, Everything's Eventual, Man in the Black Suit, All That You Love Will Be Carried away, and so on. The longer novella type stuff? Make it a two-parter.Hell, do a Bachman book or two.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Croatoan posted:

He still has good will with me for Dark City, the Dark Knight Trilogy and Terminator Dark Fate. Maybe they could just call it Foundation: Dark Non Political Drama Bullshit

Dark Fate was one of the worst movies produced last year, and Goyer's involvement in the Dark Knight Trilogy is greatly misunderstood. He did write Batman Begins (the best of the series by a country mile), but even then Jonah and Chris Nolan both took passes at the script before shooting began. Goyer wrote a draft of The Dark Knight before the Nolan brothers took over, and with Rises, he basically emailed some story ideas to Jonah Nolan before he left the project to start working full-time on Man of Steel. Just FYI.

Iron Crowned posted:

I cannot stand any of the McElroy's podcasts, I've tried several of them including TAZ, and they just really grate on me. I just get this vibe of forced monkey-cheese and that just doesn't work for me. Plus they have some really annoying voices on top of it.

Early MBMBaM and early TAZ are both loving awful. With My Brother, it wasn't until maybe episode 70-75 or so that they got rid of the random lol monkeycheese bullshit. Every now and again they still have an issue with one of the brothers (usually Justin) insisting on dragging out a joke well beyond the point of exhaustion and to the point that the other two get noticeably pissed-off about it, but the show's a lot better than it used to be.

With TAZ, it definitely started out rough, because Griffin is a D&D turbonerd and the other two brothers and their dad had absolutely no loving clue what was going on. The first quest in the Balance arc, Here There Be Gerblins--which I think comprises the first six episodes of the show--is just dreadful. They really started to get rolling with the second quest, Murder on the Rockport Limited, and the Petals to the Metal quest is just loving amazing. The show definitely dipped a bit after the Balance Arc, when they started rotating the DM / GM role between the brothers and Clint and doing the mini-arcs. I tapped out during the Dust arc. However, I did try giving the new Graduation arc a shot since they're back to being D&D-based (5E) and it's actually really very good. They've only done like five or six episodes so far, so it's still early to jump in.

Anyway, the best McElroy podcast is Sawbones.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

According to Carla Gugino, Cinemax has cancelled "Jett", and on top of that Cinemax will no longer be making original programming.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

According to Carla Gugino, Cinemax has cancelled "Jett", and on top of that Cinemax will no longer be making original programming.

Yep, called it. Fuckers. Well it was good while it lasted. One more season of Warrior, one more season of Strike Back.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Don't gently caress With Cats:

:dogbutton:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Anyone seen Netflix's Messiah?

This review I read just savages it.
Spoiler warning.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-mysteries/amp/

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Psych_USA/status/1217928319506608129?s=20

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Charlz Guybon posted:

Anyone seen Netflix's Messiah?

This review I read just savages it.
Spoiler warning.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-mysteries/amp/

Watched the first two eps and didn’t find it interesting/unique enough to continue

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Davros1 posted:

https://twitter.com/jormataccone/status/1217904762387140608?s=20

MacGruber getting a show on NBC's streaming service

Whelp, guess I'm putting another app on my iPad.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Davros1 posted:

That really sucks. :negative: I hope Warrior was given some notice so they can end the show in a satisfying way.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Doomsday Preppers is officially no longer fun because the guy in this episode is a dead-eyed 15-year old future school shooter who spends his free time making “maceball bats” and getting his mom to buy him guns.

:yikes:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Timby posted:

Dark Fate was one of the worst movies produced last year

It's got a 70% fresh tomatoes rating. Not amazing but I believe you're using a bit of hyperbole.

Timby posted:

However, I did try giving the new Graduation arc a shot since they're back to being D&D-based (5E) and it's actually really very good. They've only done like five or six episodes so far, so it's still early to jump in.

Cool, thanks for the heads up!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hey maybe cinemax won't do anymore original programming because it's all being rebranded as HBO Max all the shows are dead

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

HBO is learning from True Detective's mistake. Good for them!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In advance of the new season starting AMC has announced that they've renewed Better Call Saul for a sixth season which will be its last.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

precision posted:

Don't gently caress With Cats:

:dogbutton:

Do you think they showed too much of the cat videos? I had to skip some of it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

In advance of the new season starting AMC has announced that they've renewed Better Call Saul for a sixth season which will be its last.

Thank God. There was very little chance it that wouldn't be renewed to finality, but if the show had premiered even two or one years later, this wouldn't be happening. AMC's midlife crisis is gonna kill than channel faster than the ratings magic bullet it's searching for will fix it. Last year, they cancelled their only other two good shows (Lodge 49 and The Son) and slammed The Terror into the ground faster than a pilot slams a plane after losing his erection. Oh, and they cancelled their mental health pilot by the people who made Halt and Catch Fire.

Oh, but NOS482 got rewewed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve enjoyed very season of BCS thus far quite a bit :shrug:

I don’t really get the folks who complain about the Gus and Mike stuff. It’s a Breaking Bad prequel, of course they were always going to touch on those characters. Mike especially has been one of the better parts of the show. The stuff about his son in season 1 was excellent.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Do you think they showed too much of the cat videos? I had to skip some of it.

Yes.

The more I think of that show, the less I like it to be honest. It was an interesting story that I only knew part of, but it just wasn’t a well produced show at all.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve enjoyed very season of BCS thus far quite a bit :shrug:

I don’t really get the folks who complain about the Gus and Mike stuff. It’s a Breaking Bad prequel, of course they were always going to touch on those characters. Mike especially has been one of the better parts of the show. The stuff about his son in season 1 was excellent.

I'm one of those people who would prefer a lot less of the Gus and Mike stuff. It's less that that stuff is bad, it's that the Jimmy story is extremely good and the two don't really mesh all that well for me. They feel like two different shows crammed together artificially, and one of them is a slightly-worse version of a show I've already seen.

It was more palatable when it was just the adventures of Mike getting involved in shadier stuff, because at least Mike was initially introduced as knowing Saul and being a part of his orbit. You could include him in the premise as "how these two unlikely friends came to work together before Walt showed up and changed everything" and it works. But Gus and the secret lab and the cartel politics all just reeks of playing the hits for nostalgia.

Of course I'm unusual among those I talk to in that I straight-up prefer BCS to BB as a show in general, so that probably affects things.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

ShakeZula posted:

Of course I'm unusual among those I talk to in that I straight-up prefer BCS to BB as a show in general, so that probably affects things.

I feel the same way (and it's not as if I *didn't* like BB a lot) - and it isn't really a surprise that the best episode of the show (Chicanery) was 100% Jimmy story.

That said, it's not like the Gus/Mike stuff is bad or anything. It's just not quite as compelling to me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TAZ: The Balance Arc is one of my favorite stories of all time, something I never thought I'd ugly cry multiple times at, please please please don't gently caress it up NBC

Have they posted any teasers or preview images or anything?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Captain Invictus posted:

TAZ: The Balance Arc is one of my favorite stories of all time, something I never thought I'd ugly cry multiple times at, please please please don't gently caress it up NBC

Have they posted any teasers or preview images or anything?
I get the feeling the reason Justin had no more information to give was due to the fact they only just closed the deal, not because of an NDA. As such, production hasn't even begun so there's nothing to show.

But then again, since it was a bundled announcement of stuff, I could be completely wrong.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Fair enough. I do hope it's something along the lines of this fan-made cartoon TAZ intro-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3k6uxJ6yYs

Or something relatively similar, but suitably cartoony at least.