Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
You can't hold more than one of a quest fish at once -- however, go fishing with a full inventory and you can easily get enough of the current day's quest fish to fill a treasure chest, all dropped at your feet. Once the fishing day ends, stand on the pile and stick them in your money trough as they get picked up one by one. You'll never need to fish for that again and are free to do other stuff on days where the fisherman requests it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If you put the fish in your bank and close it, it counts as not having it at all, and then your day’s catch is waiting for you at home. That’s how we did it, anyhow: catch a fish, bank it, repeat. Then just transfer them to the communal fish boxes in the angler’s house upon return.

And you can HOLD multiples, that doesn’t cause any trouble, you just can’t catch another if you’re already holding one.

e: They don’t stack, of course.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 12, 2019

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I don't ever think I'll be a big fishing advocate in any game. I don't have anything against it and more power to the developers that can make it interesting and rewarding, but I got all my fishing done in SNES SUPER BLACK BASS in the 90s and I just don't have time for it in every game. It's like, "hey Samus don't forget to fish for 30 minutes in the fire zone of Norfair" for the best missile upgrade. Terraria is pretty good tho and I will probably try to fish and look up some elite strats at some point.

I mean, there's not even any RumblePAK support

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The advantage of the full inventory thing is you sidestep the inventory rule altogether and don't have to ever stop fishing to do inventory. Money troughing the things one at a time is a pain.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I know everyone hates the one fish a day rule but personally when I actually have to fish it takes all day. 8 minutes to run out a fishing potion, plus time to get to the exact fishing spot in the correct biome, plus time to retrieve my fishing armor/accessories and equip them (and fishing potions and pole and bait...), unequip them when I'm done, open my crates... suddenly another day has started. I never find myself waiting.

If it's a quest fish I've already saved up due to inventory trickery, all the better, because then I just give it to the angler immediately and have the rest of the day to explore and do non-fishing tasks.

The only big consequence of the one-a-day-rule is that it keeps you from cheesing the system entirely -- that is, once you have a chestload of every single quest fish, you can't just walk up to the angler and give him them all at once, obtaining untold treasures for yourself in an instant. There has to be some limit on that or else there'd never be a reason to fish again once you've hit every biome once, for everyone who has the foresight to save up fish.

I can't think of an alternative way the game could have prevented this clearly unintended exploit besides what they went with, and all the mods that get rid of the one-a-day limit could probably be horribly broken economically, just by saving up enough quest fish per day for the first several days.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
For the issue of rare drops, there's a number of mods that add crafting recipes for annoying items.

E.g.:
https://github.com/abluescarab/tModLoader-QualityOfLifeRecipes/wiki/Vanilla-Items
https://calamitymod.gamepedia.com/Vanilla_item_recipes

For fishing quests, I made a bunch of little sheltered fishing huts with teleporters, and yeah, stocking up several copies of the quest fishes.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
What was the Terraria patch that just dropped???

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Mayveena posted:

What was the Terraria patch that just dropped???

Please don't torment those of us waiting for 1.4. Thanks!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

Please don't torment those of us waiting for 1.4. Thanks!

I thought it might be 1.4? Thus the question. Or am I the only one who got the notification??? That's strange.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Bad Munki posted:

We have a group server and set up a bunch of fishing holes in various biomes with a piggy bank by each one, and then half a dozen chests by the angler back at town. Whenever you’d do a quest, you’d pull like four of what he wanted using the piggy bank, and then store it all for the group effort. Didn’t take long until it was like 80% likely on any given day that we’d already have what he was after, made the fishing stuff a lot simpler.

Oh man I forgot you can recatch the quest fish as long as they aren't in your inventory. Good idea.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Mayveena posted:

I thought it might be 1.4? Thus the question. Or am I the only one who got the notification??? That's strange.

I was just joking with you. But no, I have seen no evidence that 1.4 came out.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's nothing about a new patch on the Terraria forums, not in the PC section, nor the console section, nor even the mobile section.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
1.4 would be announced weeks in advance with a YouTube patch trailer and everything. I very sincerely doubt they would surprise launch it... Though it is due out in 2020 according to rumors.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

1.4 would be announced weeks in advance with a YouTube patch trailer and everything. I very sincerely doubt they would surprise launch it... Though it is due out in 2020 according to rumors.

It's been due out every year for the last 5 so we shall see.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Terraria was the favorite and most talked-about showing of a game at the whole AGDQ 2020 event (and not because the speedrun went well!)

Nth Doctor posted:

I want to go back and watch the Terraria run. I missed out on 90% of it and even though it got mercy killed, there have been articles about how infectious the runner's upbeat attitude and enthusiasm were. His run went off the rails and managed a thousand-dollar level gift train at the end.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Here's his revenge run after the AGDQ event to try to re-do it, starting at the 3:13:00 mark:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/533786256?t=03h13m00s

(If it's your first one, watch the one in the previous post instead)

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 16, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

There's nothing about a new patch on the Terraria forums, not in the PC section, nor the console section, nor even the mobile section.
It might be Steam shuffling directx files around or something.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Zereth posted:

It might be Steam shuffling directx files around or something.

Yeah another game that hasn’t announced a patch got 'patched' yesterday so I’m sure it was just me. You folks will let us know when the real patch drops so I’ll just wait (im)patiently.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You'll know if/when an official release date for 1.4 is announced because you'll hop onto the Something Awful Forums Games Forum and notice the Terraria thread has 83 new posts

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

You'll know if/when an official release date for 1.4 is announced because you'll hop onto the Something Awful Forums Games Forum and notice the Terraria thread has 83 new posts

I too eagerly await 2023.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Terraria was the favorite and most talked-about showing of a game at the whole AGDQ 2020 event (and not because the speedrun went well!)

Caught the end of that one. Good example of the runner managing to keep upbeat and positive despite everything that could go wrong going wrong, and the run going up in flames around him.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Very excited to watch it. Ofc I know something goes wrong but not what or when so it’ll be fun!

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Prop Wash posted:

Very excited to watch it. Ofc I know something goes wrong but not what or when so it’ll be fun!

It’s a great watch and the guy’s channel basically exploded as a result of his segment. If anyone else is thinking of watching it but feels like it’s spoiled for you - believe me you’re in for a surprise.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Would you guys be inclined to go Medium or Large world for a dedicated server that would only have 4-6 people tops, and most likely 1-3 at a time?

Have been getting back into Terraria with a group of friends (who all live in different countries/timezones) and thought it'd be good to take me having to be around to host out of the equation. We started with a Medium world which feels roomy (have played about 10 hours on it so far) but would hate to feel constrained down the track. It's already a bit annoying having to split chest loot/life crystals several ways, although I suppose we can get around that by exploiting solo worlds on our own when nobody else is around to play.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the 64 bit mod loader is implementing an extra large world size for the people who are clamoring for that

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Imo 1-2 people is fine for medium but anymore than that you should definitely go large.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Eschenique posted:

Edit: why is bouncy dynamite even a thing? Jesus christ.

One of the mods includes a "Troll Bomb" magic spell. It summons a random explosive. I used it for digging hellevators. Bouncy dynamite is not the worst thing it summons. (The worst thing is a Dungeon Guardian :ssh: )

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

watho posted:

the 64 bit mod loader is implementing an extra large world size for the people who are clamoring for that

Will that be available single-player? Yes it's daft, I don't care.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Extra large is very not daft for single player if you have a lot of mods, but i do recall it being very choppy and just generally running like butt last i tried the 64 bit loader, even on just a large world.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So in that agdq 2020 run, what *did* go wrong there at the end? I know he was trying to get something to spawn but was it just RNG loving him over or did the game glitch out?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

So in that agdq 2020 run, what *did* go wrong there at the end? I know he was trying to get something to spawn but was it just RNG loving him over or did the game glitch out?

He was on thin ice for all the time waste when he missed his night for killing mech bosses and didn't have a good backup. Then for some reason the cultists refused to spawn which I didn't even know was possible once you've beaten Golem.

e: I think what happened is he hadn't killed Skeletron on his main hardmode world, which is apparently a prereq for the cultists spawning.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 17, 2020

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hopefully someone can figure out what happened to make the cultist not spawn because goddamn, that was just the game trying to run a victory lap on him

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The UFO invasion spawning at the very end sealed it because the cultists won't spawn if any event or boss is active.

Reddit seems to think that during his file fuckery panic mode he reverted to a save where he hadn't killed wall of flesh

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 17, 2020

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
He mentioned during his revenge run you also can't spawn the cultists during the first day, so he was doomed from the start in that world.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Garfu posted:

He mentioned during his revenge run you also can't spawn the cultists during the first day, so he was doomed from the start in that world.

Since the mech bosses can only be summoned during the night, and you need to fight Plantera and Golem after the mech trio, it's hard to imagine a way where the cultists are spawned during the first day.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Cat Mattress posted:

Since the mech bosses can only be summoned during the night, and you need to fight Plantera and Golem after the mech trio, it's hard to imagine a way where the cultists are spawned during the first day.

Huh. He and his chatroom sounded so sure of that during his revenge run though. Wonder what they were thinking. It doesn't make much sense for that dummy map to have been on day 1 anyway, as there was already a statue farm set up on it, and like you all said he must have been through both wall of flesh AND a night already.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Crosspost from the speedrun thread, but Badger got an official revenge run today on GDQ's channel: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/550098164

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bad Munki posted:

Any chance of a native OS X 10.15/Catalina update in the foreseeable future?

I don’t have an answer to your question, but in case you were dissuaded by Steam’s warning message about it not working, it seems to work fine for me on Catalina if I launch from Steam. (Launching from shortcuts via not-Quicksilver doesn’t work.) Sometimes it hangs starting up and I have to restart it, but I haven’t had any problems once it’s going.

I just binged this thread over a week or so because I fell back into Terraria when I was home sick for a few days. It was very dramatic seeing Dumb Lowtax lamenting mobile being left behind, knowing that the monkey’s paw would bring them the new control system and other sources of woe. I find the controls really clumsy, perhaps because I need to re-run the tutorial, but generally I’m very bad at twitchy stuff on my phone so maybe it’s not going to work out.

(I don’t remember how long ago I last played, but I don’t recall there being a mini-map or hardmode when I did. There is a lot of stuff now!)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

mfcrocker posted:

Crosspost from the speedrun thread, but Badger got an official revenge run today on GDQ's channel: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/550098164

Skip to 15:10 in this video, FYI. Just started it and holy hell, what an entrance by Banger :eyepop:

Subjunctive posted:

I just binged this thread over a week or so because I fell back into Terraria when I was home sick for a few days. It was very dramatic seeing Dumb Lowtax lamenting mobile being left behind, knowing that the monkey’s paw would bring them the new control system and other sources of woe. I find the controls really clumsy, perhaps because I need to re-run the tutorial, but generally I’m very bad at twitchy stuff on my phone so maybe it’s not going to work out.

Aww, lol. Monkeys paw is a great way to put it. In the end, for me it never ended up getting easier with practice :( Compared to Mobile 1.2 there's just too new many ways for a slightly different finger press to have irreversibly punishing effects.

I wanted to send the dev team a big effortpost that frames what the UI is doing in the right way not to be easy to dismiss, but got too busy and couldn't commit the time and frustration of trying to change minds.

My friends and I stopped playing again a while ago, but I see Badger play and see how easily he uses the hook (menuing and consuming his hearts WHILE hooking) and how easily he aims grenades and I just have to imagine the wonderful possibilities of good controls.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 13, 2020

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Skip to 15:10 in this video, FYI. Just started it and holy hell, what an entrance by Banger :eyepop:

Aww, lol. Monkeys paw is a great way to put it. In the end, for me it never ended up getting easier with practice :( Compared to Mobile 1.2 there's just too new many ways for a slightly different finger press to have irreversibly punishing effects.

I wanted to send the dev team a big effortpost that frames what the UI is doing in the right way not to be easy to dismiss, but got too busy and couldn't commit the time and frustration of trying to change minds.

My friends and I stopped playing again a while ago, but I see Badger play and see how easily he uses the hook (menuing and consuming his hearts WHILE hooking) and how easily he aims grenades and I just have to imagine the wonderful possibilities of good controls.

I really want to like his enthusiasm but god drat I have to keep lowering and turning up the volume. He's keeps shifting to a quiet voice, a normal voice and spazzing out like a five year old.
Good player, but one I'd have to watch on mute and that kills half the enjoyment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Ohhh poo poo his new playthrough is GLITCHLESS. No item duplication. So much more interesting. Excited to watch the optimize route and hear the strategy explained.

e: Oh drat, expert mode this time too

e: Random seed sight unseen. Oh gently caress this is gonna be great

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 13, 2020