Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
My rabbit has been struggling to get up and falling over a lot recently, so we brought her to the vet. The doctor said it was arthritis and is having her put on metacam, but wanted to do a blood test in case it was anything more serious.

It turns out she’s anemic and her kidneys are failing. So on top of having cancer and having an eye removed due to a tumor there is also this.

I have never had to have a pet put down and I have no idea how to even make that decision. Fortunately she is acting normally otherwise and seems to have responded positively to the metacam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm very sorry. While there's no cure for it, I know some shelter rabbits that continue to have good quality of life for months, maybe over a year at this point, after being diagnosed. It's a good sign if she's responding positively to the Metacam.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I LOVE MY RABBIT

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/3X8jgVG.mp4

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

How is this even possible? I saw this earlier and just could not stop watching.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

listen here, you little poo poo

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
My fiancée’s coworker has a rabbit and apparently she can put a leash on him and walk him around and takes him to the beach and stuff.

If I tried to put a leash on Ajax he would 100% attack me

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
My wife got a leash for our rabbit years ago. She tried it once and the experience was so bad she never tried it again.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i've learned over the last year that he's EXTREMELY chill unless you try and restrict him in some way, at which point he becomes a terror

he's basically a lap dog now, he's started laying on my chest if i lay down on the sofa and play video games :3:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

The actual body is pretty small under the floof.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Cythereal posted:

The actual body is pretty small under the floof.

I'm pretty sure it's a sentient pom-pom

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

God help us all if Harriet ever tries this

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Rabbits can fit through any space the size of their heads, but they can be hurt doing it, especially long-term.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rabbits can fit through any space the size of their heads, but they can be hurt doing it, especially long-term.

Yep. This is the same thing with rodents being able to dislocate their bones and flatten/squeeze their skulls and rib cages to fit through cracks and holes and under doors.

They can do it if their instincts/limited animal judgment tell them that the alternative is potentially being eaten/starving/being trapped forever but it’s a good way to tear something or do internal damage, and generally the last thing you want for your pet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Lucy and Moose got adopted!

Shadow is shy

Milo, less so

Finally a decent shot of Jareth

Didn't get a shot of Truffles

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

My Dad and I built a toy tree for Harriet, Here's a video of her playing with it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Adorable. It's funny, I was cleaning up after a bunch of rabbits yesterday because someone else had to spend half an hour trimming and brushing Norma. How do you keep up with an Angora?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I had to give my rabbit a bath yesterday and it was unpleasant for everyone involved

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Adorable. It's funny, I was cleaning up after a bunch of rabbits yesterday because someone else had to spend half an hour trimming and brushing Norma. How do you keep up with an Angora?

I actually have a grooming glove, so, when I pet Harriet it pulls loose hair off. Also, my fiance and I both brush her daily

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Deadite posted:

I had to give my rabbit a bath yesterday and it was unpleasant for everyone involved

why did you have to do that?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

The Walrus posted:

why did you have to do that?

Her back legs don’t really work anymore so she has been lying down in her litter box a lot getting dirty. Since she can’t support herself on her hind legs she also can’t groom herself anymore.

I should say her legs don’t seem to work until she’s in the sink, and then suddenly she able to launch herself out of there and kick dirty water all over the countertop

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i thought you weren't supposed to give rabbits baths because their fur doesn't have a good time with water

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
We don’t submerge her, we just put a little water in the bottom of the sink and rinse her off. Her vet told us to use cat shampoo.

I’d love to not have to give her baths, but I’d love even more to not have to deal with urine scald

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
understandable

is the water lukewarm? I have to clean off ajax's eyes a few times a week because he's got permanent weepy eye for some reason and if the water is cold he absolutely hates it but if it's room temperature he's mostly okay with it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Anybody going to their regional Bunfest this year? Mid-Atlantic Bunfest is March 7th in Richmond, and I'm going to volunteer.

I was helping the shelter sort their merch. (Very popular battleship-shaped one not pictured)

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

excuse me can these battleships be sent elsewhere in the country tia

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Remora posted:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

i thought you weren't supposed to give rabbits baths because their fur doesn't have a good time with water

I’ve had to sink-bathe rabbits. They loving hate it but it’s necessary at times.

One time, Marfa (fuzzy lop with tons of hair) had diarrhea in her litter box and then proceeded to immediately try to dig it out.

And I had to bathe Jareth and Spock when Jareth was really sick for similar reasons.

Sometimes rabbits get stuff on them and you don’t want them licking it up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You move 16 tons and whaddaya get
You get too tired to write a parody
No seriously I just stacked exactly 16 tons of hay

Remora posted:

Probably, but the shipping would be murder. I just learned Bunny Lu goes all over the country for Bunfests, at least the Southeast and Midwest ones, so you can probably pick one up. Finally found a good picture.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

You move 16 tons and whaddaya get
You get too tired to write a parody
No seriously I just stacked exactly 16 tons of hay

Probably, but the shipping would be murder. I just learned Bunny Lu goes all over the country for Bunfests, at least the Southeast and Midwest ones, so you can probably pick one up. Finally found a good picture.

Not a fan of those corners or that entrance tbh. Looks like a hazard for those big bulbous bun eyes

Otherwise it rules and I’d own one if I currently had rabbits

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/606479787334172676/673051916967870465/video0.mov

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Why the hell does this insist on opening in iTunes U?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
uh it seems to want to download it for some reason instead of just opening it. ill just put it on youtube, hang on

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNvYD3Khzsk

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I haven't posted here in a while, so let me just sum it up.

October 2018, we rescued 25 rabbits (!!!) from a breeder. Our porch was jam-packed. Gave us a total of 28 when you added in our 3 that we already had. Couldn't let the breeder sell them as meat or dog bait. Then we rescued 2 more from bad situations, for a total of 30 at once. We lost three, gave one to the Humane Society to adopt out, we've adopted out about half a dozen ourselves, and we gave half a dozen to a nearby sister rescue to adopt out.

Not a one of them was fixed, and until we had a local Humane Society volunteer help us out, we had boys in with girls. Most were a year or under but we had a couple of older ones.

Now, almost a year and a half later, we decided to keep one of the later rescues, for a total of 4-5 (we haven't quite decided on one of them yet) to keep and 7-8 more to adopt out. Oh, and we found a wild baby bunny next to the road that had been jumped by a dog (not injured) that was in shock. It rode home in my wife's cleavage and she took it to a wild animal rescue, and at that rescue got to meet a capybara and made friends with the owners.

What a wild loving journey this has been. Thank God for Oxbow donating 5 cases (yes, cases of Garden Select adult rabbit food, a total of like 150 pounds), and Kaytee donating a dozen bowls and water bottles, along with all the support we've received and continue to receive on GoFundMe.

No longer do we buy bedding and hay from Walmart, or even online. Sometimes we go to Tractor Supply for bedding and Standlee hay, but more often than not lately I've been going to a mom-and-pop feed store near my work for bales and bedding. Little more expensive but they're local. I don't even want to think about how much loving money we've spent on hay and bedding.

I'd post pics but I don't have a good phone for it anymore.

EDIT: gently caress it, I'll at least list the current rescues.
Henry: Dwarf Hotot. Horny as gently caress. Humps the poo poo out of his teddy - my 5 year old giggles because "Henry is jumping up and down really fast".
Pongo: English Spot. Lazy and hungry.
Maya, Angie, Cleo, Silvie: Havana/Silver Fox mixes - more Havana than Silver Fox. All skittish and don't like their cages cleaned. Silvie is named for Sil, one of the bunnies we lost and who we're pretty sure is the girls' father.
Jobie: Our biggest, a New Zealand. He won't let anyone but me pet him, and he's come around majorly since he came here. Unfortunately, he hasn't been quite the same since Sil died; they were caged together in the beginning and lived near each other after.
Nathaniel (a.k.a. Nae Nae, or Shanaenae): Dutch. One of the latter rescues, a high-energy sweetheart.
Perdita: English Spot. Used to have a cagemate named Penny (a Rex), who I found dying one morning when I woke up. She died in my arms, and we're not quite sure why; she had a small nosebleed but that was it. Perdita hasn't been the same since either. Deety used to lay on top of Penny, then they'd groom each other; they were best friends and it made me so sad to lose Penny.

We used to have Onyx, a Havana. One night when I did her cage, I noticed she was down in the back. No emergency vets that saw rabbits, so by the time we were on our way to the vet the next day, she died in my arms in the car. She was the first we lost.

Shortly after she passed, I noticed that Sil (full name Silvio) was down in the back as well - he was caged next to her. We got him to the vet in time and he had a bad ear mite infestation, but they weren't quite sure why he was having the paresis. With lots of supportive care (sub Q fluids, Critical Care,etc.), he pulled through, started eating and gaining weight again. Still had ear mite problems even after curing the infection; but eventually he succumbed too. He died in my wife's arms two months after his first vet visit.

Oh, and after Sil passed, I noticed that one of our bunnies from before (an English Spot named Agatha) was having major discharge from her right eye. We ended up spending over a grand in vet bills over the next month and a half only to find out her top teeth were growing backwards; the X-rays were awful. Twice a day, I sucked her nose clean of discharge and gave her a topical eye solution and eye drops to help the eye infection. We have her sub Q fluids for a week while she was having a lot of trouble eating and drinking, but with metacam and Baytril, it helped.

We had to get her to a vet 2 hours away near the end, so I packed an Igloo cooler with a small litterbox, hay, and water for my wife to take her. One of my favorite - and the saddest - pictures of her is on the way home, when Agatha has her front paws up on the side and is looking out the window. When she got home, she was hopping around like nothing ever happened. That was the last good day. She passed the next evening while I was petting her; I came out of the bathroom and my wife came to me and told me Agatha was dying. After she passed, our youngest cat laid next to her for hours and wouldn't let us move her.

I still have such a hard time dealing with Agatha. Sil and Onyx and Penny sucked, but...Agatha was ours.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 4, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
drat, you're doing the Lord's work.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I'm so sorry to hear about Agatha. Thank you for doing what you did to help all of those rabbits, and the lengths you went to for yours. There's nothing else I can say.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh my goodness. thank you. it breaks my heart to think of all the neglected or abused rabbits out there. so many people do it not out of cruelty but stupidity or ignorance. all those little basements buns sitting by themselves in their cages forever and ever. makes me want to cry.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

The Walrus posted:

oh my goodness. thank you. it breaks my heart to think of all the neglected or abused rabbits out there. so many people do it not out of cruelty but stupidity or ignorance. all those little basements buns sitting by themselves in their cages forever and ever. makes me want to cry.

They were in worse shape. They were in stacked wire-walled and wire-floor cages with J feeders, in with two dozen chickens. We had to pretend we wanted them for meat and breeding because she didn't want to sell to a rescue. So here we were, packing two dozen bunnies into eighteen cardboard carriers from the Humane Society, pretending we weren't horrified. It loving sucked.

One of the most rewarding things though was when we went to pick up Mr. Bunny (the surrendering couple named him, not us). We had to turn his hutch on its side to fit in our Traverse, so I had to get him out to ride in a hamster cage on my lap. They said he wouldn't let anyone touch him or get near him.

He let me pet him and pick him up with no issues. :gbsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
now you've made me feel like an rear end in a top hat for not caring as much about the chickens, and a hypocrite for eating chicken every other day.