Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
ctps: yesterday I fixed a race condition by reordering members in a c++ class.

initializing the first member started a thread that touched the other members. that thread raced with with the initialization of the other members. solution: make the thread member the last member of the class. C++ is a really dumb language sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

turns out the worst race condition was the human race!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pile Of Garbage posted:

turns out the worst race condition was the human race!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slgt skal flge slgters gang

heres a bad idea:
https://ctan.org/pkg/texplate

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

my tip for avoiding latex boilerplate:

put all your preamble poo poo in a bunch of .sty files in the local tex tree like mytables.sty, myfonts.sty, etc and then you can include only the ones you need for a given document! and it will be all clean and neat! wow!

matti
Mar 31, 2019

so if i were to write a c++ linux software how hosed would i be if i used visual studio? definitely not going to bang none of that in a terminal

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
Use vim op

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
do you mean visual studio or visual studio code? because i dont know how visual studio could possibly work.

if you really want a decent c++ ide on linux just pay the $89 or whatever it is for CLion https://www.jetbrains.com/clion/

matti
Mar 31, 2019

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

do you mean visual studio or visual studio code? because i dont know how visual studio could possibly work.

if you really want a decent c++ ide on linux just pay the $89 or whatever it is for CLion https://www.jetbrains.com/clion/

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/cppblog/linux-development-with-c-in-visual-studio/

its a thing

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

dont

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

If you are like me and use 2 Jetbrains IDE's (Pycharm and CLion) then the everything pack is the best deal.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

yeah clion in actual non WSL linux is the alternative, i've heard its quite good

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
WSL2 (currently insider ring only) seems p good

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Is clion pronounced like Cleon from The Warriors?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

more like clioff

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

CPColin posted:

like the fat whiskered animal

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Walrus?? Andy Reid??

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

gonadic io posted:

WSL2 (currently insider ring only) seems p good

It's extremely good. Doesn't have the file system fuckery that comes with wsl 1, and having everything running on top of an actual kernel is very cool. Oh, and also much better vscode integration.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

It's extremely good. Doesn't have the file system fuckery that comes with wsl 1, and having everything running on top of an actual kernel is very cool. Oh, and also much better vscode integration.

So WSL is just a VM.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

CPColin posted:

Walrus?? Andy Reid??

speaking of, andy reid at 13:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

matti posted:

yeah clion in actual non WSL linux is the alternative, i've heard its quite good

clion is good. better than msvc now imo (particularly when it comes to refactoring tools, there is absolutely no comparison) and getting better with every release, as opposed to visual studio which seems to be getting worse every year

don't write software in msvc if you want someone to be able to build it with clang/gcc or you will spend hours fixing warnings and errors because microsoft's compiler still lets you get away with things that clang and gcc don't

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 16, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

So WSL is just a VM.
WSL2 is a very lightweight VM. WSL1 was a kernel translation layer.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

The_Franz posted:

clion is good. better than msvc now imo (particularly when it comes to refactoring tools, there is absolutely no comparison) and getting better with every release, as opposed to visual studio which seems to be getting worse every year

don't write software in msvc if you want someone to be able to build it with clang/gcc or you will spend hours fixing warnings and errors because microsoft's compiler still lets you get away with things that clang and gcc don't

i assume this is c++ specific advise since in c _GNUC_ is far more permissive and flexible

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
microsoft's compiler doesn't even support all of c99 yet.

gcc/clang have flags that will prevent you from doing dumb things even in C

matti
Mar 31, 2019

cl.exe c99 has been fine for good couple years now at least

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

matti posted:

Only 19 years late!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
just use clion if you want an ide for c++ on linux. dont loving bother with ms poo poo at all.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

no don't worry i asked i'm taking the advise

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

matti posted:

they supported just enough to build projects like ffmpeg, it's still not 100% compliant and it only took them until 2015 or so

to give them credit, they are much better about keeping up with new c++ language standards now. previously msvc being many years behind the spec was the norm. clang supports windows natively now though, so why bother with anything else?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

just use clion if you want an ide for c++ on linux. dont loving bother with ms poo poo at all.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

well yeah, but i figured people would be more apt to believe me if i didnt just hand wave all the ms stuff.

i just recently bought a personal clion license for projects and it's so much nicer than dealing with anything else, really. plus it makes cmake much easier to use.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

CPColin posted:

it's pronounced cly-on

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Since the "C" stands for "C", it should be "sly-on"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

speaking of, andy reid at 13:

i feel this so hard. I skipped from 7th grade straight to high school but I was already 6 feet and 200 pounds at age 12 so nobody knew I was younger and a lot of people picked fights with me to prove how tough they were.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
was it a gland/hormone thing? i can't imagine having that much physical strength at that age.

were you into sports? i feel like you would feel like superman/woman up until probably college in athletics. i'm guessing andy reid did, at least.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
debugging distributed systems is hard but have you ever tried counting irony parity and inferring the original content of some alluded-to weak take from just a lovely self-satisfied vague twitter thread

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Sapozhnik posted:

debugging distributed systems is hard but have you ever tried counting irony parity and inferring the original content of some alluded-to weak take from just a lovely self-satisfied vague twitter thread

what are you implying

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

was it a gland/hormone thing? i can't imagine having that much physical strength at that age.

were you into sports? i feel like you would feel like superman/woman up until probably college in athletics. i'm guessing andy reid did, at least.

Nah just genetically really big I guess.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

vscode on linux is a pretty good experience

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
I guess if youre writing p langs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

cee plus plus, motherfucker. slap my cmake/ninja calls straight into tasks.json. 420 export compile commands every day.