Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

in space nobody can hear you kinkshame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

This thread is getting too horny.

It's not nearly horny enough. Where are the Chrisjen sex fantasies? We all have them, men and women. Let us stop pretending!

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Now that I think about it maybe that isn't amusing because no other woman on the show challenges her for sexiness, so it's just weird.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Actually you'll find Jon Space is from Montana.

But yeah as others said it's a very diverse show, except that obviously white belters should be nearly non-existent.

human looking belters should be nearly nonexistant
martians too for that matter

VoLaTiLe posted:

It has to be the most diverse show out at the moment, but forget that all the characters are super interesting and the stories cool.

Surely that is all that should matter?
this is accurate.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

human looking belters should be nearly nonexistant
martians too for that matter

That being said, we don't really know what the long term effects of living in one-third gravity are like. One of the big barriers to long-term space colonization is figuring out exactly how much gravity your body needs to keep itself in working order. It could be as high as half a gee, or as low as a tenth, and unfortunately the only way to find out is to actually give it a shot.

Belters used to zero gee would definitely have different skeletomuscular structures than earthers, but I don't think there's any real consensus on what a martian's bones would be like as far as shape goes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

For the purposes of the fiction, the Martians are described as being somewhat taller and lankier like Belters, but not to anywhere near the same level. I don't remember for sure but I don't think they need bone density injections or anything like that.

Bobbie is supposed to be about two meters tall and that isn't remarked on as unusual.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Martians are remarked to be different enough to be able to blend in with the belters, and stand out amongst earthers.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Bobbie's height is absolutely commented as being unusual and a result of being Samoan many times. See the prologue of Cibola Burn where she freaks out a grifter on Mars by standing up before she tells him to gently caress off. If her height weren't unusual for a Martian woman that bit wouldn't make any sense (she makes specific reference to her height freaking people out).

They make a huge deal about how she can never find a set of Goliath armor that will fit her because of how tall and big she is. It's.why she was holding onto a lovely old set forever because it finally fit.

(spoiler because I forget if this was in season 2/3 of the show)
She also didn't fit properly into the gunner's chair on the Roci - a Martian naval vessel - not even close.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 16, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ah yeah, I remember that stuff now. Martians are supposed to be taller than Earthers though, I'm sure I remember that right.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I now want...

bizarre in-setting Martian 6'0" vs Earther 5'11" memes

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Grand Fromage posted:

Ah yeah, I remember that stuff now. Martians are supposed to be taller than Earthers though, I'm sure I remember that right.

Yeah, they are. Belters and maybe Martians call Earthers "squats" as a pejorative.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

This thread is getting too horny.

Amos is the best character because instead of trying to solve ancient mysteries, His first priorities are getting laid and also drinking moonshine at the local belter bar.

Also robs the smug RCE camp of their suppliers and gets away with it when they refused to share resources.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I've been doing a rewatch of this show and I forgot how completely breakneck season 3 is. This show is *even better* on a rewatch because there's so many little details everywhere, I'm completely in love with it. It's probably my favourite show since The Wire, and I want seasons 5-8 to launch tomorrow please

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Burginator posted:

I've been doing a rewatch of this show and I forgot how completely breakneck season 3 is. This show is *even better* on a rewatch because there's so many little details everywhere, I'm completely in love with it. It's probably my favourite show since The Wire, and I want seasons 5-8 to launch tomorrow please

*Space Monkey's Paw curls one finger* it is done, but it's been done by those pregnant elsa spiderman video generators trained on the books

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Jack2142 posted:

Lily Gao is the Pete Buttgieg Stand-In someone who has been calculating a path to the presidency from as young as possible.

To be fair, Lily Gao seems a lot more authentic than Buttgieg. She didn't work for The Expanse equivalent of McKinsey and do a stint in military intelligence as a puff puff resume builder. Campaign funding isn't mentioned, but it doesn't seem like she's a tool of the billionaire elite, she seems to have genuine motivation to help improve the opportunities of people on Basic.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

T-man posted:

*Space Monkey's Paw curls one finger* it is done, but it's been done by those pregnant elsa spiderman video generators trained on the books

The intro is also cursed.

That's bad.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

gfarrell80 posted:

To be fair, Lily Gao seems a lot more authentic than Buttgieg. She didn't work for The Expanse equivalent of McKinsey and do a stint in military intelligence as a puff puff resume builder. Campaign funding isn't mentioned, but it doesn't seem like she's a tool of the billionaire elite, she seems to have genuine motivation to help improve the opportunities of people on Basic.
Yeah, I was going to say, even though I know and like Avasarala and understand where she's coming from, after what we've seen of both of their campaigns... I'd vote for Lily Gao. She honestly won me over.

I don't know what part of her acting we're criticizing. We mostly saw her public persona which felt very much like a politician's public persona. It was perfectly convincing to me.

The plot was super frustrating because Avasarala kept making a bunch of dumb decisions, but they weren't out of character at all. She knows how to get things done directly. When that's not an option, as in her campaign, her instincts are all off. And the fact that she was thinking about the campaign at all when making the call to blow up or board the ship was a blatant (if understandable) indication that she'd completely lost the part of her perspective that made her effective previously. It was a pretty convincingly presented tragedy all around.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Eiba posted:

I don't know what part of her acting we're criticizing. We mostly saw her public persona which felt very much like a politician's public persona. It was perfectly convincing to me.

Agreed. She was given the least opportunity for characterization, and relatively banal scripting. I wouldn't criticize her acting.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The intro is also cursed.

That's bad.

Does it come with your choice of toppings?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

gfarrell80 posted:

Does it come with your choice of toppings?

Yes! But the toppings contain protomolecule.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yes! But the toppings contain protomolecule.

That's good!
-Dresden

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
BANG

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Eiba posted:

Yeah, I was going to say, even though I know and like Avasarala and understand where she's coming from, after what we've seen of both of their campaigns... I'd vote for Lily Gao. She honestly won me over.

The plot was super frustrating because Avasarala kept making a bunch of dumb decisions, but they weren't out of character at all. She knows how to get things done directly. When that's not an option, as in her campaign, her instincts are all off. And the fact that she was thinking about the campaign at all when making the call to blow up or board the ship was a blatant (if understandable) indication that she'd completely lost the part of her perspective that made her effective previously. It was a pretty convincingly presented tragedy all around.

Yeah, the only reason I prefer Avasarala is that gooooooorgeous voice of hers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Look, I love Shohreh, I really do. She's a fantastic actress when she wants to be, and when she's not she's a camp as gently caress diva who really needs a few gay icon roles under her belt. (Remember 24? Behroozh!!!) Avasarala rules.

But does anyone ever get the sense, and I say this acknowledging that this is part of her charm, that she doesn't quite understand what the words she's saying mean?

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Look, I love Shohreh, I really do. She's a fantastic actress when she wants to be, and when she's not she's a camp as gently caress diva who really needs a few gay icon roles under her belt. (Remember 24? Behroozh!!!) Avasarala rules.

But does anyone ever get the sense, and I say this acknowledging that this is part of her charm, that she doesn't quite understand what the words she's saying mean?

It does sound like that a little bit at times, but I don't think it's true. She sounds pretty much the same when she does interviews and stuff, so I think it's just the weird cadence of her voice.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kilson posted:

It does sound like that a little bit at times, but I don't think it's true. She sounds pretty much the same when she does interviews and stuff, so I think it's just the weird cadence of her voice.

Yeah she's got a voice like she's gargling glass cubes. Maybe that's why it feels like her words slip over each other. It's really fantastic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She voices an alien character in Mass Effect and I knew it was her immediately even though the character was talking through a breathing mask.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
She voices Lakshmi-2 in Destiny, aka Robot Warcrimes Mom and the biggest failing of destiny 2 is her being under used

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1kK7uNdCpE

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I take it that with the switch to Amazon, the new season won’t get an iTunes or Blu-ray release?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I liked this season a lot, but it's continuing to debunk the myth that the Expanse could ever be described as "hard" sci-fi, such as when the physics switch is just casually turned off for plot reasons.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Beamed posted:

I liked this season a lot, but it's continuing to debunk the myth that the Expanse could ever be described as "hard" sci-fi, such as when the physics switch is just casually turned off for plot reasons.

It's about when hard sci-fi meets Star Trek-style handwaving bullshit. And it has the good grace to call it as the bullshit it is.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is harder than most TV sci fi just for dealing with gravity

But the PM is pretty much magic, it does whatever the plot needs

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Another random tip is Amazon does has 4K versions of all the seasons.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Easily one of the highlights of the season.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Beamed posted:

The protomolecule being bullshit magic that gets to ignore physics if it wants to has been a major plot point since whichever episode Eros moved in, I'm not particularly upset. It's not like everyone has warp drives, phasers, and inertial dampeners now.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Elias_Maluco posted:

But the PM is pretty much magic, it does whatever the plot needs

For what it's worth, Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham claim to have decided in advance what the Protomolecule builders' technology is and isn't capable of, which should cut down on "Bones invents telepathy drug, never uses it again"-type goofiness.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

So I mentioned once the character ages are never specified and it turns out I am not totally correct about that. Been rereading book 5 and it explicitly states Naomi is 35 in this one. So Dominique Tipper is actually only a couple years younger than Naomi. Book 5 is probably about five years after the first book? Maybe six or seven.

That led me to look if the other ones are in here at all. Alex is also nonspecified. He joined the MCRN at 18 and served his full 20 years, then joined the Canterbury crew. There doesn't seem to be a specific time he was on the Cant, but as of the beginning of the story he's at least 40. This fits since he's always described as being older than the rest of the Roci crew. Cas Anvar doesn't have a publicly known birth year, deep conspiracy.

Holden joined the UNN at 18 and was discharged seven years later. He worked at Pur'n'Kleen for five years before the beginning of the story. Unclear if there was anything else in that timeline, but if we assume no then he's 30 at the beginning of the series. Again, Steven Strait is only a couple years younger.

Amos left Earth around 15 and has been in space for 25 years, so is about 40 at the beginning of the series. Wes Chatham is 41 now so same deal. I also thought all the actors were a lot younger than their book characters but turns out they're only a couple years off.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Realistically all the MCs died like three books ago given the sheer amount of abuse their bodies have healed from and exciting fight scenes where no bullets hit anyone important, Holden should be in a hospital bed slowly and painfully melting into a radiation puddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

T-man posted:

Realistically all the MCs died like three books ago given the sheer amount of abuse their bodies have healed from and exciting fight scenes where no bullets hit anyone important, Holden should be in a hospital bed slowly and painfully melting into a radiation puddle.

Along similar lines, when you think about it, the Rocinante crew -- and especially Holden -- are also the most important people in all of human history. Miller is up there too. Like, Jesus and Julius Caesar were cool, I guess, but neither of them turned mankind into an interstellar species single-handedly. And that's leaving out everything that came before!