Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Transformers has a pretty long tradition of using designs with or without permission, though the cartoon designs tend to be non-specific vehicles or plausibly deniable.

The live action movies are all co-branded with the car designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Dolittle's going to be the next hilarious cinematic disaster that doesn't involve CGI cat-people, though it'll probably be big in Korea. It's going to be fodder for essays as to how movie-producers can easily draw millions in funding yet at the same-time lack any sense of self-awareness or the ability to read the market. The fact that the movie is the second big-budget take on Dr Dolittle, when the 1967 attempt bombed, shows how little people care about history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynO_BPkA2uQ

It better include this

https://mobile.twitter.com/_katiestebbins_/status/1173776725177786369

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dolittle's going to be the next hilarious cinematic disaster that doesn't involve CGI cat-people, though it'll probably be big in Korea. It's going to be fodder for essays as to how movie-producers can easily draw millions in funding yet at the same-time lack any sense of self-awareness or the ability to read the market. The fact that the movie is the second big-budget take on Dr Dolittle, when the 1967 attempt bombed, shows how little people care about history.

The 1967 film was nominated for nine Academy awards (including Best Picture) and won two of them :colbert:

(20th Century Fox spent a ton of money rigging the nominations)
The film's IMDB trivia page is a hell of a ride: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061584/trivia?ref_=tt_ql_2

Sammy Davis Jr campaigned hard for the role of Bumpo in the film but star Rex Harrison vetoed him on account of him being an "entertainer" (ie: someone who could actually sing and would definitely show him up) but SDJ got his revenge by releasing a hit album where he covered all the songs in the film.

Edit: ah ha ha ha ha the new RDJ film only opened yesterday here in Australia but all the cinemas in my area have already dropped the prices on every session

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 17, 2020

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Doolittle is tracking for a 20 million opening on a 175 million budget

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Dolittle does little.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dolittle does less.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The 1967 film was nominated for nine Academy awards (including Best Picture) and won two of them :colbert:

The film's IMDB trivia page is a hell of a ride: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061584/trivia?ref_=tt_ql_2

Sammy Davis Jr campaigned hard for the role of Bumpo in the film but star Rex Harrison vetoed him on account of him being an "entertainer" (ie: someone who could actually sing and would definitely show him up) but SDJ got his revenge by releasing a hit album where he covered all the songs in the film.

Edit: ah ha ha ha ha the new RDJ film only opened yesterday here in Australia but all the cinemas in my area have already dropped the prices on every session

Variable pricing? Woahhhh

Is doolittle a bigger trainwreck than Cats?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The theatrical release is only 90 minutes long. No live-action movie that expensive is ever that short. There must have been an entire hour meant for the final cut.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Didn't think they could make something worse than the Eddie Murphy version.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

got any sevens posted:

Is doolittle a bigger trainwreck than Cats?

Cats had a $6.6m opening on a $95m production budget, Dolittle would have to make less than $12m on opening to be doing comparatively worse.

Stink Billyums posted:

Doolittle is tracking for a 20 million opening on a 175 million budget

Woodchip posted:

Hey now that made money and had four sequels, even if threeo of them were direct-to-DVD. They also launched Norm Macdonald's lucrative VO career!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_Dog

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The theatrical release is only 90 minutes long. No live-action movie that expensive is ever that short. There must have been an entire hour meant for the final cut.

Slicing the gently caress out of a Dr Dolittle film to make it bearable for audiences is a venerated Hollywood tradition! The '67 film rated really poorly with the first test audiences who complained that it was too long so they ripped out chunks of it, but test audiences still complained it was too long so they ripped out a few more chunks, then the third batch of test audiences went "Uh it's fine I guess?" so they went with that relatively trim 152 minute cut.

Even TV shows that have ridiculously overstayed their welcome rag on it for dragging things out :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV2UE31vSgU&t=23s

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I watched a very good chunk of the '67 on when I was a kid. Mostly I was intrigued that it was on 2 VHS tapes. I thought it was good at the time, and I dunno, I still like goofy movies of that period. Never did have high hopes for this one though.

On an interesting side note. Ranulph Fiennes tried to blow up the dam they built for the town in the original one with plastique he'd neglected to turn in. And because this was the 60s, didn't go to prison for it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Even TV shows that have ridiculously overstayed their welcome rag on it for dragging things out :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV2UE31vSgU&t=23s

I knew they would show the seal scene.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Your theaters drop prices :stare:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

I double checked and you have to be a member of their Hoyts Rewards program to get the lower price, which would be $15 instead of $22 for the "Xtremescreen super saver"

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

The video we're talking around notes that the glut of the "Wholesome West" serials was during the 50s and 60s. All the kids who grew up watching the shitload of Western TV series were just the right age when Blazing Saddles came out and put a stake through the heart once and for all. It notes the beginnings of grim Westerns, specifically High Plains Drifter coming out the year before, but that Blazing Saddles really feels like the mark where everyone just gave up on trying to farm any nostalgia out of the genre and you saw the permanent switch to grittier Western movies.

If you look at the wikipedia list of western films released in the 70s (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Western_films_of_the_1970s) films labeled as "traditional western" are in the minority from the beginning of the decade. "Grim westerns" also didn't begin with High Plains Drifter and not even the american ones (though italian, the grimest western evern, the Great Silence, was released in 1968). I haven't watched the video in question but from the descriptions here it seems as if someone started with a conclusion - Blazing Saddles ended the age of traditional westerns - and then cherry picked arguments that support that conclusion.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just read the plot of The Great Silence and its incredible, like a person setting out to give you the bleakest tale possible

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Jesus posted:

If you look at the wikipedia list of western films released in the 70s (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Western_films_of_the_1970s) films labeled as "traditional western" are in the minority from the beginning of the decade. "Grim westerns" also didn't begin with High Plains Drifter and not even the american ones (though italian, the grimest western evern, the Great Silence, was released in 1968). I haven't watched the video in question but from the descriptions here it seems as if someone started with a conclusion - Blazing Saddles ended the age of traditional westerns - and then cherry picked arguments that support that conclusion.

Nah his argument is more "Revisionist/grim Westerns were already a thing but Blazing Saddles signalled the final end of the sanitized "wholesome" Western"

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Barudak posted:

I just read the plot of The Great Silence and its incredible, like a person setting out to give you the bleakest tale possible

I caught it randomly on TV once without knowing anything about it and the ending was really shocking. I caught it randomly on TV once without knowing anything about it and the ending was really shocking. You keep expecting the protagonis to win somehow but then they just murder him and everybody else.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/horrormuseum/status/1213984626198269952

“Tammy and the T-Rex gore restored 4k release” is not a sentence I expected in 2020 or any year really

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

got any sevens posted:

Ya, no women noms for director either :thermidor::d2a:

The Academy Awards will never get anywhere close to representing women. Hell, if there wasn't a Best Actor / Best Actress split then the award would 100% go to a man every time.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

im sure next year will be the "sorry women" year

which is a shame cuz the movies they pick will be mediocre if "oscar apology years" are anything to go by

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alan Smithee posted:

“Tammy and the T-Rex gore restored 4k release” is not a sentence I expected in 2020 or any year really

I've had a copy since December, get on my level

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ok, am I the only one who got that movie confused with Theodore Rex and thought this was a weird ironic remake posing as a remaster?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks like Shane Carruth is getting out of the game after his next project. Can't say I'm surprised based on his success rate in the industry, it's got to be incredibly frustrating to battle uphill agains the Hollywood franchise machine and lack of mid-budget greenlights if you're a guy who just wants to make small, interesting, and thoughtful genre flicks. It's especially a shame that A Topiary had such a low budget and still couldn't find funding (even if I found the script fairly impenetrable a few years ago), but it's always notable to see when these sorts of guys burn out of the industry.

At least he seems to have a good head on his shoulders when it comes to what he wants to do with the rest of his life

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

Ok, am I the only one who got that movie confused with Theodore Rex and thought this was a weird ironic remake posing as a remaster?

judging by reddit no

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Bumpo

Alan Smithee posted:

I think just a few weeks ago, Regal dropped prices on the Playmobil movie to $5 a ticket. Don’t know how much history there is for the practice.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Alan Smithee posted:

The movie is great and absolutely deserves it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Woodchip posted:

Doesn't he drink a coffee cup full of hamster poo poo?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I've had a copy since December, get on my level

How

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
They went up for purchase in November.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

I confused it with Theodore Rex, but didn’t think it was an irony thing, just a lot of very impressive editing to get a PG movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The movie itself doesn't quite know what it is, the opening credits have the title as "Tanny and the Teenage T-Rex"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The original 1920s Dr Dolittle novels were hella racist. When the '67 film was in pre-production they originally included that character but they eventually decided to drop him.
https://blog.plover.com/book/Dolittle.html

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I mean, not inaccurate to Victorian era attitudes.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The only Doolittle movie I want to see is one about the making of the original. It would be great if the writers of Ed Wood/My Name is Dolemite tackled this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Barudak posted:

The Great Silence is in fact my favorite western ever and imo one of the best movies ever made, I strongly recommend everyone in this thread track it down and see it in some way. Sergio Corbucci has said MLK Jr. and Malcom X both being assassinated is what inspired him to make it. It's insane to me that the guy that directed The Great Silence and Django also directed some incomphrensibly bad stuff like The White, The Yellow, and the Black/Samurai and stuff like that.

I'd try to get it with the Italian dub with English subtitles. The English dub is very accurate but some of the voice choices just feel kind of off.

Folks here might also dig Four of the Apocalypse, one of three westerns directed by Lucio Fulci.

Also after you watch The Great Silence, look up the alternate ending on YouTube because :laffo: a sad last ditch attempt to try to get it released in the US. It ended up not officially coming out in the US until 2001!

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 17, 2020

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Neo Rasa posted:

Folks here might also dig Four of the Apocalypse, one of three westerns directed by Lucio Fulci.

Fulci also did Massacre Time, right? I saw a clip from that where a guy runs a cart into a barrier behind which three dudes are shooting at him, and once the cart hits the barrier it launches him over it and he shoots all three in the back

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I posted about The Great Silence in the Western thread a few weeks ago, I just recently saw it for the first time. There are plenty of Westerns that have relatively bleak endings but nothing like that. It was seriously impressive actually, the nerve required to go through with that ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Fulci also did Massacre Time, right? I saw a clip from that where a guy runs a cart into a barrier behind which three dudes are shooting at him, and once the cart hits the barrier it launches him over it and he shoots all three in the back

Yeah he did three, Massacre Time, Four of the Apocalypse, and Silver Saddle. The latter is probably the weakest and least interesting, but also has some good squibs and a couple of decently shot shootouts. I'd say they're all worth checking out on some level.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I posted about The Great Silence in the Western thread a few weeks ago, I just recently saw it for the first time. There are plenty of Westerns that have relatively bleak endings but nothing like that. It was seriously impressive actually, the nerve required to go through with that ending.

It's so loving good, also refreshing to see a genuinely leftist movie, I mean the the "bandits" everyone's so worried about are unarmed poor people. I mean they're Mormons also but still, like, drat.

Everyone should watch that movie, it's so well shot, incredible soundtrack, performances are all great, and the writing is pretty drat good too and it's paced really well which are two things you don't necessarily expect from a spaghetti western.

Also...hold my beer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p13gKTOpPc0