Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mokinokaro posted:

Bloodborne is such a technical nightmare on PS4

It is? I never saw any problems in my playthrough. Maybe I just got lucky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

Bloodborne is such a technical nightmare on PS4 I fear what a PC port would be like. Probably worse than the original DS1 port.

The PS4 is basically a cheap PC, as is the XBox1, so porting to PC is waaaay easier than it was in the PS3 Cell architecture days.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Mokinokaro posted:

Bloodborne is such a technical nightmare on PS4 I fear what a PC port would be like. Probably worse than the original DS1 port.

That's what modders are for.

I mean lol, this is not a reason to not bring BB to PC at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've probably played through Horizon six times already on PS4, but who can possibly resist seeing it maxed out at 60fps? Hell ya :pcgaming:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Gort posted:

It is? I never saw any problems in my playthrough. Maybe I just got lucky?

the only thing that ever really bothered me was this

quote:

Though its 30fps average is technically correct, Bloodborne often produces two unique frames followed by two duplicates - rather than one after another - creating a perception of frame-rate drops throughout

even when the game is running at 30 it stutters because of this.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

bad framepacing is a persistent problem with fromsofts console games, but the pc versions never seem to be affected :iiam:

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Looks like "World of Horror" is finally coming out on February 20th.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/913740/WORLD_OF_HORROR/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-RojolTesY

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

was it always going to be early access :geno:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Look Sir Droids posted:

That's what modders are for.

I mean lol, this is not a reason to not bring BB to PC at all.

I'm just saying to not expect a great port if it comes.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just port every console game so I can finally stop bothering with consoles all together.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Leal posted:

Just port every console game so I can finally stop bothering with consoles all together.

Good news if this thing about HZD is true we may finally be at that point, between Microsoft having done it already and Sony on the way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I don't think Sony will make it a common practice, but porting Horizon to PC is a smart move when you're at the end of a console's lifespan and want to drum up hype for the PS5 with Horizon One Noon.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I finally beat Doom 2016 after playing the first half or two thirds of it like four times across two platforms (PC and Switch) and it turns out the bits that I hadn't played weren't really anything special. On one hand the map design starts to feel a bit more like classic Doom map design which is nice, but it also starts to feel like the same encounter over and over again: some imps and a Hell Knight spawn, then a few more Hell Knights and Pinkies, then a revenant or two, then a mancubus, then some more revenants and mancubi, then a couple of cyber-mancubi, then a couple of barons, then Checkpoint Reached. By this point I had pretty much nailed down a strategy for any given enemy plus they aren't stingy with BFG ammo so there were no real difficulty issues on Ultra-Violence. The boss battles were challenging but pretty easy to master and the only one I died to was the final boss for a reason I'm not really clear on. I was jumping backwards on those pillars that spawn around the arena and suddenly died. I might have just not been paying attention to my health I guess, but I didn't get any health low indicator so whatever hit me must have been a doozy.

Also I just watched that Noclip interview with Hugo Martin, and I'm more hyped for Doom Eternal now than ever. It sounds like he's totally aware of all the issues I had with Doom 2016 and has made it his personal mission to fix them.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Leal posted:

This. Would love to free up some space in the theater room.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Stickman posted:

I would never wish PSNow Bloodborne on anyone. It’s a decent introduction/demo but it has too much input lag to play seriously. Just buy a used ps4 for $80 instead - it’s worth it.

Also, no Old Hunters...

Where in the hell can I get a used PS4 for $80? I wanted one for the FF7 Remake.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ragequit posted:

Where in the hell can I get a used PS4 for $80? I wanted one for the FF7 Remake.

No, you want one for Bloodborne. FF7 is just a nice bonus.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Edmond Dantes posted:

No, you want one for Bloodborne. FF7 is just a nice bonus.

I’m unfortunately not a fan of any Souls-type gameplay

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ragequit posted:

I’m unfortunately not a fan of any Souls-type gameplay

Fair enough. Bloodborne's combat plays quite a bit differently from the actual souls games because of the rally mechanic and lack of shields. Not trying to convince you, mind, it probably won't change the experience enough for you to like it if you just don't enjoy the general gameplay.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bloodborne is generally better than Souls because the health vials + rally mechanic mean you can fight back and still keep going rather than taking 3 sips from your estus flask and being good as dead because there's no way you'll reach the next bonfire now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think Sony will make it a common practice, but porting Horizon to PC is a smart move when you're at the end of a console's lifespan and want to drum up hype for the PS5 with Horizon One Noon.

I don't expect that we'll see like, an actual end to console exclusives but we might see an end to platform exclusives. Putting things on Your Console and PC is only more money, depending on the relative costs of the dual development and Microsoft appears to have learned that and hopefully Sony follows suit.

E: Though it would be very Microsoft for them to have really oversold this whole "And PC too!" thing as a result of their testing PC Game Pass only to decide that PC Game Pass is costing them too many sales and go back to console only releases.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I got kinda excited the other day when I heard there's a Werewolf: The Apocalypse game in the works.

Then I saw it's being developed by loving Cyanide Studios. God damnit.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

explosivo posted:

I tried Bloodborne on the free trial for PS Now and it was definitely awful. The input lag was terrible from clicking around the menu but I never even got to play the game because PS Now only supports Playstation controllers from what I can tell which I do not have.

AFAIK PS Now supports basically all USB controllers you'd expect it to, but for obvious (and somewhat petty) reasons they are loath to actually come right out and say you can use a 360 or Xbone pad or whatever. There's a support article buried on their site that explains this (along with a warning that other controllers won't be able to use trackpad and gyro features, oh no! :derp:).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm playing DQ Builders 2 and gently caress me, I think I might enjoy Minecraft.

To be fair this game actually has objectives and stuff to work towards and looks cute and all. I think it falls right on my sweet spot of "no pressure but here's some poo poo that needs to be done" instead of being a complete sandbox or having some time pressure even when there's "no pressure".

look im not done with my farming yet don't knock me the gently caress out stardew valley i'm trying to make this poo poo ~pretty~

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/australia-fire-relief

25$ nets you a bunch of games including Hollow Knight!!

I sorta want this mainly for Void Bastards--which is it's normal asking price, and like a bajillion games i'm not itching to play. What's wrong with me :ohdear:

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

Mokinokaro posted:

yea i got a black friday ps4 when it was 200 bucks and that game is like 25 fps in most instances and has horrendous input lag just playing locally on a console. can't imagine what it's like through playstation now.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

The original DS1 port was still by far the best way to play DS1 before the remaster

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

man

gently caress ted faro

i can't wait to relive how repulsive he is in 60fps

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It wasn't even really a bad way to play DS1, considering it was the first PC port that From ever made. With DSfix on top, there's really nothing wrong with it at all. They've managed fine with every port since.

I don't know how much more technically complicated Bloodborne is, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cardiovorax posted:

They've managed fine with every port since.

Except the 60fps durability thing in DS2 which went unfixed for a long time and the bonfire crashes in DS3

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ciaphas posted:

man

gently caress ted faro

i can't wait to relive how repulsive he is in 60fps

I am excited for PC gamers to learn about why Ted Faro can get hosed.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

I am excited for PC gamers to learn about why Ted Faro can get hosed.

I love all the impressions in the thread going "I mean, I don't get how this guy is that bad" and the inevitable post a week or a month later going "gently caress ted faro"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Speaking as someone who has beaten Bloodborne like 6 times and just started up a new character this week , Bloodborne does not run very well on PS4 lol. This is my first time playing it on a Pro and it's definitely better at keeping a consistent 30fps but it's still just 30fps . It's probably my favorite game of the decade nonetheless but I would kill for a PC or PS5 port or whatever

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Except the 60fps durability thing in DS2 which went unfixed for a long time and the bonfire crashes in DS3
Yeah, but all things considered, those are pretty minor issues that don't all affect everyone equally and the games are otherwise pretty stable and well-ported. Personally, I didn't ever get those bonfire crashes at all, for example. If you compare that to something like Monster Hunter World where just getting it to run at all can feel like voodoo magic, I don't really have any complaints.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Andrast posted:

The original DS1 port was still by far the best way to play DS1 before the remaster

Yeah Dsfix came out, what, three days after release? Four? It was absolutely hosed before that, granted.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Kennel posted:

Anyone who buys this: don't skip Mr. Shifty. It's looks pretty generic but is really solid.

Seconding this. It's the perfect example of doing a lot with a little.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

HZD owns fukken bones. Graphics, story, worldbuilding, combat. Open world is not much to speak about, but everything else is lovely.

gently caress TED FARO

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 17, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Most hype game of 2020 is now something I've already played for 300 hours on PS4.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

If we're getting PS4 exclusives give me Persona 5 you cowards.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Is a GTX 1080 still a decent video card? Is $200 a fair price for one?

Genuinely asking for thread input:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911375

I'll revise based on feedback. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

D1E posted:

Is a GTX 1080 still a decent video card? Is $200 a fair price for one?

Genuinely asking for thread input:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911375

I'll revise based on feedback. Thanks!

I paid that for a new 1060 not that long ago. Seems like a good price. I might be interested!