Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Zero VGS posted:

Do any VR games have whips? NES Castlevania was relatively slow paced and would probably make a sweet transition to whipping at flying Medusa heads.

One of the Rec Room quests has whips, and they fuckin' whip. Just whip all the enemies, good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whyyyyyyyy are there no aftermarket Rift CV1 cables?

:cry:

Because of a manufacturing misunderstanding causing the production equipment for the specialized connectors to be unavailable and very, very expensive to ramp back up, right as the S was replacing it. California has some sort of law for equipment replacement that means every last unsold or salvaged cable needs to be held in reserve for legitimate support replacements. This is the sort of snafu that only happens once when hardware companies deliver their first big device; future headsets will not have this issue.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whyyyyyyyy are there no aftermarket Rift CV1 cables?

:cry:

Related to this, I'm thinking of selling my CV1 with four sensors setup. Cable is good, though it does have a minor nick in the casing i've electrical taped over. Wouldn't refuse a reasonable offer.

If anyone's interested you can toss me a pm.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If you’re planning on selling the headset I probably wouldn’t split the cable from it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BUT if you do split it I’ll take the cable and a camera or two

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So from the OP, is the Oculus Quest highly recommended over the Rift S? I owned (and sold, because I made a big life change and thought I needed money at the time) a Rift S last year and liked it, but I might decide to get a Quest if the tethered performance is comparable to a Rift S. Like I don't mind some very slight lag since it's streaming off my computer, I just don't want a huge performance hit if that's a factor.

I imagine untethered is fine for like watching movies or whatever, which is the main reason I was considering getting a Quest over the Rift S. It'd be cool to have a portable headset I can take to any room of the house and load up a movie or play some sitting/controller games in bed or whatever. But I also want to be able to play all the Steam VR games I already own at decent framerates.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you’re planning on selling the headset I probably wouldn’t split the cable from it

yeah, if i said it weird i apologize. I could maybe sell two cameras separately (since it comes headset+2 by default)

but i wouldn't want to sell the headset/cable separately unless i had two buyers lined up out of the gate

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

King Vidiot posted:

So from the OP, is the Oculus Quest highly recommended over the Rift S? I owned (and sold, because I made a big life change and thought I needed money at the time) a Rift S last year and liked it, but I might decide to get a Quest if the tethered performance is comparable to a Rift S. Like I don't mind some very slight lag since it's streaming off my computer, I just don't want a huge performance hit if that's a factor.

I imagine untethered is fine for like watching movies or whatever, which is the main reason I was considering getting a Quest over the Rift S. It'd be cool to have a portable headset I can take to any room of the house and load up a movie or play some sitting/controller games in bed or whatever. But I also want to be able to play all the Steam VR games I already own at decent framerates.

I don't like that the OP heavily implies the Rift S has a very niche place which I think is not true. Rift S is the lower-cost option when PC-gaming is your use case, and you fit in the IPD range. I have a CV1, but the games I mostly play I'd need to be tethered anyway. I know two people with Quests and 1 never unplugs it from it's tether and the other rarely does.

HOWEVER

Being able to make it portable is a helluva good deal and the 1 guy who does take his portal has basically decided he's always going to have a portable VR even though that only accounts for like 10% of his playtime. So if you think there's times when you'd really like a portable VR, Quest is your device. However, understand you are going to take a bit of a drop in quality for more money, so balance that against portability.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Its specific to my noggin, but I don't find the two headsets remotely equal on user comfort. I can wear a rift s for an hour or more ok but my face is /dying/ after 4-5 minutes in a quest. It is uncomfortable and hurts like no other HMD I've tried, and I've donned quite a few. Neither portable nor tethering use cases sound really appealing to me versus just having a rift s.

I also am willing to trade LCD black levels and other negative performance for the higher pixel fill ratio too, but that's pretty subjective.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got both a Quest and a Rift S, and the S gets used way more often. I find the Rift S to be more comfortable, especially for longer sessions, and while link works pretty great it's still a little finicky.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I've been using my desktop in my quest for the past few hours, all good here (to be fair I do have a battery counterweight right now, but it doesn't make too much of a difference comfort wise for me)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

King Vidiot posted:

Wireless is fuckin' awesome. Get a Quest.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Lemming posted:

I've been using my desktop in my quest for the past few hours, all good here (to be fair I do have a battery counterweight right now, but it doesn't make too much of a difference comfort wise for me)

I need to experiment some more with counterweights to see if that would adjust it enough so that I can wear it for longer stretches. I have a killer space to play in w/o a desktop computer (or a 25' tether for that matter) that I would really love to get more use out of and the Quest would be perfect if I could get it to fit me comfortably.

Comfort on these things is highly dependent on headshape and a bunch of other factors that are hard to judge from reviews or discussions in dead gay online forums. Every user gets a customized fit, FOV, etc, based on head shape, eye position, and other details and it will always be trash for some folks under a one-size fits all model unfortunately. I think they'd have to sell Quests in a couple of different sizes to really account for population variation, not to mention obvious quality-of-life improvements like putting compute and battery on the back of the HMD strap or even off-head.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
My Index controllers finally became unusable, so I'm back to Vive wands until Valve gets back to me with RMA info. When I first got the Index controllers I thought they were nice, but not that big a step up, but it's one of those steps up that you really feel when you have to step back down, like going from 1440p back to 1080p, or Windows 10 to Windows 7.

These things are huge and heavy and bulky and it sucks having to hold on to them the whole time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some Oculus news

-Oculus Go is now $150
-Facebook has made a patent for what it seems a VR force feedback glove (not that patents are indications of future commercial products)
-Until you Fall is free this weekened
-Path of the Warrior coop mode released (and featuring Cross-Play)
-Rec Room Quest version has released the Laser Tag rooms, before that mode was missing
-Fail Factory! released.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 17, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fail Factory huh? Didn't know this thread was coming out on Oculus Quest

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

King Vidiot posted:

I would stick with the Rift S if you’re primarily going to be playing SteamVR. It’s a solid, comfortable headset, and the Link stuff has some mixed reviews.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

You might not know what you're missing with an untethered headset like the Quest - certainly, we don't know everything coming down the pipeline for it, in terms of hand tracking stuff or new games.

But if your PC is up to it, your IPD is within an acceptable range, and you're confident that PCVR is the way for you the Rift S exceeds the Quest in comfort and display quality. Link might be good enough for you, and the performance hit shouldn't be stark, but everyone's line is different.

I have both and even though Rift S is more comfortable, I personally favor the Quest because it's easier to pick up and take off anytime, as long as I keep it charged.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/kaizerkunkun/status/1218099549387907072?s=21

In the beginning, there was a Big Bang.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The first Strand-Type VR game.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
He's going to use eye tracking to make sure you watch his 4th credits scene all the way to the end

If you don't cry at least three times during the course of the game you won't get the good ending

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Songbearer posted:

He's going to use eye tracking to make sure you watch his 4th credits scene all the way to the end

If you don't cry at least three times during the course of the game you won't get the good ending

Oh please, let's be real here; He's gonna use eye-tracking to see if you're looking at a scantily-clad female character's chest or rear end. And then put an achievement in for doing so.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Well, clearly he's inspecting the pee physics.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Death stranding might actually be entertaining if you had to use your body to balance your packages and if you got to load them on your backpack in VR :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thoom posted:

My Index controllers finally became unusable, so I'm back to Vive wands until Valve gets back to me with RMA info.

As I'm considering an index, can you go into detail on the failure here?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Did a cursory search but no word on Index re-stock?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Did a cursory search but no word on Index re-stock?

Check the steam store, if it’s not in stock literally nobody in the world knows.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

rage-saq posted:

Check the steam store, if it’s not in stock literally nobody in the world knows.

There are literally people who know, they're just not posting because it's their job.

Congratulations I've never actually seen a misuse of the word "literally" in the wild before :golfclap:

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Bad Munki posted:

As I'm considering an index, can you go into detail on the failure here?

Both of them have hosed joysticks, but what actually triggered the RMA was that the right controller stopped charging. When I plug it in, the light flashes orange for a fraction of a second and then goes dark and stays dark.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Hadlock posted:

There are literally people who know, they're just not posting because it's their job.

Congratulations I've never actually seen a misuse of the word "literally" in the wild before :golfclap:

https://www.prdaily.com/dictionaries-add-informal-definition-of-literally/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I do not accept your version of reality

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hadlock posted:

I do not accept your version of reality

You literally have to :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Language evolves deal with it :reject:

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004
Anyone else having rift S issues? Mine keeps crashing with the error of display port is unplugged, doesnt matter the computer its hooked to. Tried reseating the cable in the headset and didnt help. Worked fine for 2 months, now its a $400 turd on my desk.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Talk to Oculus support?

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Csixtyfour posted:

Anyone else having rift S issues? Mine keeps crashing with the error of display port is unplugged, doesnt matter the computer its hooked to. Tried reseating the cable in the headset and didnt help. Worked fine for 2 months, now its a $400 turd on my desk.

It happened to me too a few times, temporarily worked unplugging the USB and display ports then replugging them, got in touch with Oculus Support and they said delete all the files in C:\Users\Username\Appdata\ , \Appdata\Local\ and the rest then delete the Oculus software and reinstall, so far it's working *touches head as wooden object*

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Desdinova posted:

It happened to me too a few times, temporarily worked unplugging the USB and display ports then replugging them, got in touch with Oculus Support and they said delete all the files in C:\Users\Username\Appdata\ , \Appdata\Local\ and the rest then delete the Oculus software and reinstall, so far it's working *touches head as wooden object*

I'm guessing specifically the Oculus files, right? Deleting all files in AppData is gonna cause problems and you should not do that.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

a7m2 posted:

I'm guessing specifically the Oculus files, right? Deleting all files in AppData is gonna cause problems and you should not do that.

I guess he meant Appdata\local\Oculus and Appdata\roaming\Oculus. I checked and both exist.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

I haven't been tracking this thread or PC VR, are we close to 3rd gen headsets yet, or still a year or two out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
There's no real useful definition of "generation" but right now a bunch of headsets came out in the past year so it'll be a while before we get anymore. Right now, the headsets are also all still essentially cell phones in front of your face, and the only new thing there is the tracking technology.

I wouldn't expect to see stuff like eye tracking and foveated rendering, varifocal, or anything fundamentally new in a consumer headset for several years probably.