Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

“wizards” fuckin rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The real magic was the friends we found along the way and also this gun we found along the way

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
this is a masterpiece

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
For what it's worth I loving love Wizards and I always knew it as the Bakshi antifa movie.

The ending is also one of the greatest moments in film history.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

that pipe has tits

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i can't expose this beautiful thing to gbs

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Saddest Rhino posted:

that pipe has tits
Grabbing some titty when blazing my weedpipe :420:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Wizards is the weirdest animated movie I have ever seen.

And I've seen both Fritz the Cat movies.

AND Cats.

Also Strange Magic.

Wizards is weirdly enough, better than all of them. Maybe on par with the first Fritz movie.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Are you going to do Coonskin

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

That pipe is either high as a kite, really smug or giving me a bedroom look.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
e: mod removed by poster request

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 14, 2021

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
e: mod removed by poster request

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 14, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Darth TNT posted:

That pipe is either high as a kite, really smug or giving me a bedroom look.

At least 1 and 3 seem on brand

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
ok ONE MORE THING

after a childhood of media (especially animated, but also other kids' media, i'm looking at you jk) of small-l liberals wanting to talk about big issues using nazi stand-ins as symbolism but being too cowardly to even talk about nazism straight without a veneer of candy-coloured bullshit, this movie was like ice water in the face, in the best possible way. just bakshi laying it all out on the table and saying "this is what loving happened. look at what you did."

i love him

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

Rather than having the good fortune of watching Spiderverse on repeat, I'm now finally getting around to seeing The Good Dinosaur. This movie is so weird that it almost wraps around to being good, but it kind of just falls short of being anything at all. No doubt largely due to all the changes in the creative team.

It's the only animated movie I've ever seen where the environments are so insanely realistic that the characters look greenscreened into their own movie. It feels like they have a totally different lighting model on them (maybe they do), and I actually had to go double check that I wasn't getting confused with Dinosaur which was indeed CGI creatures on real backgrounds.

Story-wise, it's a mess. A lot of threads just get dropped or don't end up being important. Arlo is motivated to get home before winter so he can help his mother, but when he does get home, she seems to already be done with everything. His siblings also end up being largely unnecessary characters. And they assert that he's finally worthy of "making his mark" but all he really did was get lost and then get back home. You could even go so far as to argue that the human character is unnecessary, although I guess that's getting into "Raiders would've played out the same way if Indiana Jones wasn't in it" territory, which somewhat misses the point.

Overall it has the makings of a nice detour from the manic pace and comedy of the usual kids' movie, it just needed some more story work... or perhaps less.

good dinosaur is the movie that convinced me the pursuit of photo realism is an indulgent waste of time

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also please keep posting about bakshi

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
Weathering with You was great.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I saw Weathering With You last night. I liked it, overall. It's more ambitious and complex than Your Name, and it's technically better in every way, but I found Your Name to be more a more emotionally fulfilling experience. There's just something missing from Weathering With You. Still, it's a great movie.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The real magic was the friends we found along the way and also this gun we found along the way

Best use of the Horst-Wessel-Lied since Wenzler's masterpiece Hans Westmar. Einer von vielen. Ein deutsches Schicksal aus dem Jahre 1929.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Looper posted:

good dinosaur is the movie that convinced me the pursuit of photo realism is an indulgent waste of time
I sorta figured that out with video games a while before that

Some degree of stylization is so much more interesting

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shadow Hog posted:

I sorta figured that out with video games a while before that

Some degree of stylization is so much more interesting

I feel like the photorealism is not at all the problem good dinosaur had. I feel like the elements in this photo that don't work are the awful stylized dinosaur and his terrible knees. The background looks great and the kid looks fine.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Wasn't there... scientologist pterodactyls in there somewhere? Or was that a dream I had since I was watching it half-asleep on the plane.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Good Dinosaur's problem is just a sheer lack of cohesion, stylized human, photorealistic background, very cartoony dino - they all look like they're from three different movies.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fartington Butts posted:

Wasn't there... scientologist pterodactyls in there somewhere? Or was that a dream I had since I was watching it half-asleep on the plane.

That's one of the Land Before Time sequels.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The Good Dinosaur had no real reason to use Dinosaurs, there was nothing about the story that could only work with them.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That's one of the Land Before Time sequels.

Wait what? Really?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Fartington Butts posted:

Not really Scientologist specifically, but a cult that worships the storm, yeah.

I'm just gonna link it because the title of the video is a spoiler, in case anyone cares, but this scene is one of the most jarring IMO in terms of characters vs. background. It looks so greenscreened even though obviously it isn't.
https://youtu.be/96lLPwmUhpM

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Not really Scientologist specifically, but a cult that worships the storm, yeah.

I'm just gonna link it because the title of the video is a spoiler, in case anyone cares, but this scene is one of the most jarring IMO in terms of characters vs. background. It looks so greenscreened even though obviously it isn't.

Wow, yeah. They look greenscreened in.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sir Lemming posted:

The whole movie is like that. It's so off-putting. I went with my dad (don't recall why) and we both agreed it was sure an impressive tech demo!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Franchescanado posted:

I saw Weathering With You last night. I liked it, overall. It's more ambitious and complex than Your Name, and it's technically better in every way, but I found Your Name to be more a more emotionally fulfilling experience. There's just something missing from Weathering With You. Still, it's a great movie.

Yeah I pretty much agree with this review, although I think the plotting is worse.

Also, it took me half the movie to recognize Allison Brie's extremely distinctive voice, which was embarrassing. I kept thinking it was Kat Dennings.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I saw Weathering With You. Man, gently caress Tokyo, huh?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I saw Weathering With You. Man, gently caress Tokyo, huh?

My review of Weathering With You: The film sucks because Id kill a whole lotta people for Tokyo

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Tonight I’m going to a Dreamworks Animation concept art exhibition!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
:ohdear: Please don't get arrested for lewd acts in public :ohdear:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Just saw Smallfoot and it was... not bad? Genuinely surprised by the depth of the story. Nice animation, too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

surf rock posted:

Yeah I pretty much agree with this review, although I think the plotting is worse.

Also, it took me half the movie to recognize Allison Brie's extremely distinctive voice, which was embarrassing. I kept thinking it was Kat Dennings.

She actually can vary her voice a bit. You can even see this in some of her live action roles, like Trudy on Mad Men sounded different from Annie on Community.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait what? Really?

yep, i can't find a good youtube but the sorta-kinda-villains of movie #7 are alien dinosaurs sent by Xenu on a comet

unrelatedly, if anyone here likes Lupin III and likes Redline, you owe it to yourself to go watch Goemon's Blood Spray right the gently caress now

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

anatomi posted:

Just saw Smallfoot and it was... not bad? Genuinely surprised by the depth of the story. Nice animation, too.

Smallfoot is firmly OK but has a dope as hell soundtrack

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Channing Tatum's a talented singer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i keep having sad troubled dreams about wizards