Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fabricated posted:

Kimura is so gonna lose. The eternal jobbers in this series never really catch a break for long.

Big question is, what round is the big kabosh that ends it all gonna be delivered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I still dont know who the homeless guy is

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I don't think we're supposed to recognize them.

Sextro posted:

Man this manga is actually really good when it's actually boxing.

I think as a whole Ippo has been good since the Guevara fight.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I still dont know who the homeless guy is

I assumed he's some kind of prodigy boxer who lost his way, but he got Takamura's True ChampionTM sense tingling and that's why he seems to like him. My thought was that he would either get rehabbed by Takamura and start boxing again, or start coaching Ippo for his comback because his style and talents just happen to perfectly compliment Ippo's.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1287 is out.

I...I still believe in Kimura. Even if he has become a lich.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Kimura is a great boxer

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1288 is out

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Is Kimura going to win by doing his move backwards.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Is Kimura going to win by doing his move backwards.

Ippo will have a revelation.

He just needs to reverse the Dempsey roll.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I think I would go to a stage production of HnI...

Out of the ones where you can't see the name on their trunks, I can only identify Date and Mashiba. I assume the one behind Ippo's left side is Miyata, maybe behind him is Volg and Ippo's right is Sendo? If Kimura is opposite Aoki then who's the guy in front of him?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The person to the right of Takuma is Hayami.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....that has got to be the least-convincing Kamogawa ever.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

A stage show instead of another anime season? :cmon:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
is there a different culture around these stage performance things in japan. it always feels like some weird discount product that i can't ever imagine getting excited over

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
"Ippo, our fighter is dying from dehydration, one punch could cause severe brain damage to him, what do we do, your call"

"...what would coach do? oh sure! SEND HIM BACK AND LET GOD DECIDE"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

legit surprised ippo hasn't gotten a live action film. Seems like a no brainer.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tbp posted:

is there a different culture around these stage performance things in japan. it always feels like some weird discount product that i can't ever imagine getting excited over
They're pretty loving awesome, in my experience. Especially if they're musicals. According to a friend who went, the Takarazuka Revue's stage play of Legend of the Galactic Heroes was off the loving hook. Like a Meshuggah concert, but consisting only of badass ladies dancing, singing and plotting of conquest.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Wark Say posted:

They're pretty loving awesome, in my experience. Especially if they're musicals. According to a friend who went, the Takarazuka Revue's stage play of Legend of the Galactic Heroes was off the loving hook. Like a Meshuggah concert, but consisting only of badass ladies dancing, singing and plotting of conquest.

i shall accept that my preconceptions were likely wrong in this case!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dias posted:

"Ippo, our fighter is dying from dehydration, one punch could cause severe brain damage to him, what do we do, your call"

"...what would coach do? oh sure! SEND HIM BACK AND LET GOD DECIDE"
Kamogawa is somewhere out there, and suddenly finds himself nodding sagely

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

legit surprised ippo hasn't gotten a live action film. Seems like a no brainer.

Seems like it would be really hard to do anything shounen live action (well, at least). Such a big part of the format is slowing down or straight up freezing time while people have giant internal monologues to explain what they're thinking and what's going on so the reader/viewer understands the stakes. Would be pretty awkward to do a close up of a person's face then freeze frame and throw a color filter over it while he explains what the other guy is trying to do and what he's about to do to try and counter it. Having it be a musical, and therefore inherently divorced from reality, would probably actually help.

But yeah that skull cap / hair curl is poo poo tier. Seeing hair just growing out of a person's forehead like that looks cancerous :gonk:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

they put it TOO LOW

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1289

Kimura wins but I don't think Ippo learned the right lesson.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1290
Its Itagaki and Aoki's turn.
Rest In Peace Aoki's anus

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1291

Ippo is going to Mexico!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

Chapter 1291

Ippo is going to Mexico!

Sendo is 10,000% going to die. RIP. He was a cool dude.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
how did his hair grow back so quickly

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Centzon Totochtin posted:

how did his hair grow back so quickly

Probably wasn't quickly. Seems like the hair is convenient way to show a little time skip.

And yeah, tons of unspecified death flags all around.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 25, 2020

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

think we're FINALLY getting to the end game of the retirement arc

he said for the ninth time.

Picnic Lunch
May 1, 2006

Damn tailgaters
Biscuit Hider
I don’t understand where this is going to go. Sendo is going to win the first fight and then die against Ricardo? And then Ippo just challenges Ricardo? Or do we spend 5 years building up to the Ricardo fight?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tbp posted:

think we're FINALLY getting to the end game of the retirement arc

he said for the ninth time.
Turns out Oda is just a chumpy scrub. Morikawa is the real king of the "Is this still going?"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sendo is hosed if he gets his fight with Ricardo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Incidentally, what would redeem (or "redeem") the series in your eyes?

-Woli is revealed to have jobbed horridly to some future opponent
-Takamura's eyeball flies out during a match
-Aoki or Kimura win a belt

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fabricated posted:

The Woli fight being animated. :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If the series ends with a filthy joke, it'd have been fully redeemed.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Fabricated posted:

-Woli is revealed to have jobbed horridly to some future opponent
-Takamura's eyeball flies out during a match
-Aoki or Kimura win a belt

i think the series is really good rn!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Huzzah! posted:

Sendo is 10,000% going to die. RIP. He was a cool dude.

For real. The only thing that can get ippo back into the ring indeed

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yeah it's a different kind of slow right now but it feels like it's getting to a home stretch

because 'ippo gets back in the ring' can only be followed by 'ippo ascends to godhood'

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The series is okay now. Ippo retiring was a good thing even though he's definitely coming back, the lovely thing was the holding pattern with dumber and dumber fights.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What did he have like 10 drat title defenses? At least a decade wasted right there :(

Leaked footage of the Ippo stage production:

https://i.imgur.com/Hsq3rH5.mp4

That was Gonzalez after jobbing the Dempsy Roll :v:

I had to go to a wiki to look up which Mexican name was which and apparently we're in the Dream Match in Mexico Arc which is the forty-fourth story arc in the series and the fourth in the Bold Retirement Saga :stare: Now I want to see a flowchart chronology of all the little story names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1292 is out.
Hmmm, some obligation to get Ippo back in the ring thats more important than just seeing Sendo's match.
:magemage: