Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

SuperKlaus posted:

1) are three color decks a bad idea
2) how long do I have until these ravnica cards I'm enjoying in the Rakdos and dmir sample decks rotate
3) I found out about free packs for codes what else might a newbie miss and need to know to get a good jump in
1) The mana base is very supportive of 3 colour decks right now (edit: but if you're forced to use a lot of non-rare lands that come into play tapped, it can be harder)
2) This October
3) There's more codes here if you haven't gotten them: https://cardgamebase.com/mtg-arena-codes/

Funkdreamer fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

1) are three color decks a bad idea
2) how long do I have until these ravnica cards I'm enjoying in the Rakdos and dmir sample decks rotate
3) I found out about free packs for codes what else might a newbie miss and need to know to get a good jump in

1) Not necessarily, especially if you have the manabase
2) like next this september october i think?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

So I'm running a sealed and I'm like 89% sure I should be in B/G here but I just wanted to double check exact card choices:

Current Deck:

Full Pool:
https://imgur.com/a/VemJEZz

e: Nyx Lotus seems a bit iffy; maybe I replace it with the second 4G give dudes trample dude or something idk.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil posted:

Help me goons, I have no idea what I should cut. I'm thinking cut at least one Grim Physician and maybe one of my mana fixing artifacts.

I'm also debating swapping a Nyxborn Courser for a Nyxborn Marauder but I'm worried it'll mess up my curve.

Aspect of Lamprey isn't that exciting either but given that I want to focus on enchantments to get good value from Archon of Sun's Grace and Aspect of Lamprey's discard synergizing with Enemy of Enlightenment I thought it an okay include. I can also tutor it up with Heliod's Pilgrim.

My other color options were pretty terrible so I think Orzhov colors are my only play.

Ended up going 5-3 but I disconnected on my last game so I filed a support ticket. I'm hoping I can get a refund because I was winning that 8th match.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks! I actually had missed some of those codes!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

And then mono-red be like "gently caress you I'll build my own regisaur and he'll have satyrs and his name will literally be AN AX"

Deck isn't good but I wanted to slay someone with an Anax

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Look Around You posted:

So I'm running a sealed and I'm like 89% sure I should be in B/G here but I just wanted to double check exact card choices:

Current Deck:

Full Pool:
https://imgur.com/a/VemJEZz

e: Nyx Lotus seems a bit iffy; maybe I replace it with the second 4G give dudes trample dude or something idk.

Nyx Lotus barely does anything here, you'd be better off with another 5/3, and Nessian Wanderer is really good and should be in your deck too, and I think I'd want the vanilla 4/3 since it's another enchantment? Not sure what I'd cut though, I haven't had a chance to play the format myself since Arena is such an unstable mess right now. Maybe the Charger and Setessan Training??

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Picked up the Mastery Pass but didn't get the ranked draft token. Did that happen to anyone else?

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Rhaegar posted:

Picked up the Mastery Pass but didn't get the ranked draft token. Did that happen to anyone else?

It unlocks at Level 30...

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Oceanbound posted:

It unlocks at Level 30...

Oh my bad, missed that on the track. Thanks.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Jesus Grayara is hideous. It's an absurd amount of reach for two cards on the board, and it's going to be an absolute nightmare for any aggro deck to compete with.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
After some testing I ended up with this for Black Devotion.

Deck
20 Swamp (ELD) 261
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
4 Cauldron Familiar (ELD) 81
2 Tymaret, Chosen from Death (THB) 119
4 Ayara, First of Locthwain (ELD) 75
4 Lazotep Reaver (WAR) 96
4 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
2 Erebos, Bleak-Hearted (THB) 93
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel (THB) 99
4 Nightmare Shepherd (THB) 108
4 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
4 Witch's Oven (ELD) 237

I tried Bolas's Citadel but it was too expensive/too late almost all of the time to matter, and the few games that went long where it'd have been really nice I just kept hitting Castle Lochtwain instead. Lazotep Reaver was a late swap in instead of the Fenlurkers; the dream of one-drop, Fenlurker, Ayara, Nightmare Shepard and then Gary basically never happens and losing the one B off the devotion seems worth it for getting better bodies.

The testing was in low Platinum since I hadn't played much ladder after the reset; the deck seems to do well against Rakdos Knights/Aggro and Sacrifice, mostly due to holding removal for the angry T-Rex and hosing cats/having Ayara respectively. Gruul aggro is a pretty solid matchup but less favorable than Rakdos, and mono-Green and mono-Red beat this deck up and take its lunch money. RDW matches are probably better since I swapped the Fenlurkers out, but Big Green just gets bigger much faster than this deck does.

I think this deck has potential but I'm definitely open to other ideas or tips from what people have been messing around with.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
mono-white is exactly as i feared: it goldfishes at a ludicrous rate if it gets to go healer's hawk -> pridemate/daxos -> linden/heliod, but it absolutely falls apart if anything so much as looks at it and can't generate actual card advantage, just make very large creatures that don't protect themselves

its interaction is actually not that bad, however, since giant killer is quite good and conclave tribunal is still a great catchall. also gods willing was in m20 and that is a sweet card even if it's not actually particularly powerful

oh the deck can't ever beat cauldron familiar though so you want that 1 mana artifact in the sideboard and/or to splash black for kunoros and basically nothing else

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah I think you need to run black. And Hushbringer.

And probably Dawn of Hope or whatever. You can probably stomp on rakdos knights and run enough enchantment removal to really gently caress with fires I guess?

Core white cards feel like they were designed eight years ago and never updated.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah I think you need to run black. And Hushbringer.

And probably Dawn of Hope or whatever. You can probably stomp on rakdos knights and run enough enchantment removal to really gently caress with fires I guess?

Core white cards feel like they were designed eight years ago and never updated.

See also about half the green cards. Some of them are absurd, and some of them, particularly the green intervention are just... wut?!

E: I'm wondering about Krakens and associated stuff as a keyword to focus a deck around. It doesn't feel properly Tribal but Serpent of Yawning Depths is a ludicrously powerful finisher (suddenly my everything is unblockable, unless you immediately remove this), and Nadir Kraken can hold the board long enough to get it down, perhaps.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 17, 2020

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

RPZip posted:

After some testing I ended up with this for Black Devotion.

Deck
20 Swamp (ELD) 261
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
4 Cauldron Familiar (ELD) 81
2 Tymaret, Chosen from Death (THB) 119
4 Ayara, First of Locthwain (ELD) 75
4 Lazotep Reaver (WAR) 96
4 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
2 Erebos, Bleak-Hearted (THB) 93
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel (THB) 99
4 Nightmare Shepherd (THB) 108
4 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
4 Witch's Oven (ELD) 237

I tried Bolas's Citadel but it was too expensive/too late almost all of the time to matter, and the few games that went long where it'd have been really nice I just kept hitting Castle Lochtwain instead. Lazotep Reaver was a late swap in instead of the Fenlurkers; the dream of one-drop, Fenlurker, Ayara, Nightmare Shepard and then Gary basically never happens and losing the one B off the devotion seems worth it for getting better bodies.

The testing was in low Platinum since I hadn't played much ladder after the reset; the deck seems to do well against Rakdos Knights/Aggro and Sacrifice, mostly due to holding removal for the angry T-Rex and hosing cats/having Ayara respectively. Gruul aggro is a pretty solid matchup but less favorable than Rakdos, and mono-Green and mono-Red beat this deck up and take its lunch money. RDW matches are probably better since I swapped the Fenlurkers out, but Big Green just gets bigger much faster than this deck does.

I think this deck has potential but I'm definitely open to other ideas or tips from what people have been messing around with.

The draw a card on death zombie is a tempting add but I'm not sure what to add your ,list looks better than what I was trying. Nightmare Shepherd was a real MVP for me last night, it just feels unbeatable without removal in the mirror (there were a lot of mirrors). IDK how good this deck can be in the meta as hushbringer is so good against it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I have way too few wildcards to work out what to do with them. There are so many things I want to try, but when each one costs a (four) wildcards, it's a lot to try to test when you only have single figures of each type except common.

It feels like monoblack devotion is going to be first on the chopping block out of the gates, I'm genuinely not sure how you beat it other than pure creature removal, given that it only needs to get to turn 4 to start getting absurd amounts of drain without needing to attack or block. And it gets a 4/4 for 4 flyer into the bargain what on earth was the logic behind the pricing of that card when a 3/3 for 4 flyer with no other text is a very solid card.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So just letting you know but the previous mono black devotion deck had an Oko-level presence for something like six months.

Also if you need WCs then don't blow them. You'll eventually be established and have all the cards to brew with.

Granted I just put Stinging lionfish in a deck and beat the poo poo out of someone with Callaphe so I dunno I'm sketchy

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Hey remember when I was like "you can hold control when you toss a lethal burn spell at someone's head and they'll have to stare at it until they decide to manually concede" and then some goon was like "well ackshully it's you who's the jerk because the concede option disappears in that condition"?

Turns out he's wrong and those players were just stubborn assholes! The game removes the option symbol when someone swings in with guaranteed lethal, but not for a Full Control lethal Fling for 56. So suck it, I'm gonna keep doing my cool mic drop to people who bm me.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Hey remember when I was like "you can hold control when you toss a lethal burn spell at someone's head and they'll have to stare at it until they decide to manually concede" and then some goon was like "well ackshully it's you who's the jerk because the concede option disappears in that condition"?

Turns out he's wrong and those players were just stubborn assholes! The game removes the option symbol when someone swings in with guaranteed lethal, but not for a Full Control lethal Fling for 56. So suck it, I'm gonna keep doing my cool mic drop to people who bm me.

wtf why would you do that and not think you're the jerk

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

pointsofdata posted:

wtf why would you do that and not think you're the jerk

All they have to do is admit defeat. I'm teaching them an important lesson in humility.

Also, reprint Humility.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm considering just buying into monoblack devotion. It only costs 4 rare and 4 uncommon to get the important bits, and some of those are useful in other decks of mine anyway (Nightmare Shepherd feels like it will fit admirably into my Orzhov Knights Worthy/Corpse ping deck, for instance).

Everything else can be sourced from Eldraine and earlier if necessary, and it's a super strong deck, but... IDK I want to gently caress with more interesting stuff.

Worth noting that the code LevelUp still works if you haven't used it yet, to get some early Mastery pass ticks.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Zero VGS posted:

So you're doing it to be rude, but it's fine because it isn't rude?

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
want to try a deck that insta-loses to Hushbringer, but grinds out against almost everything else being tested at the moment? try my UW Blinky deck!

Deck
4 Charming Prince (ELD) 8
4 Island (MIR) 336
1 Agent of Treachery (M20) 43
6 Plains (MIR) 331
2 Cavalier of Dawn (M20) 10
2 Prison Realm (WAR) 26
3 Thassa, Deep-Dwelling (THB) 71
4 Fblthp, the Lost (WAR) 50
2 Cavalier of Gales (M20) 52
4 Elite Guardmage (WAR) 195
2 Dream Trawler (THB) 214
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
3 The Birth of Meletis (THB) 5
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Thassa's Oracle (THB) 73
4 Temple of Enlightenment (THB) 246
4 Shatter the Sky (THB) 37
1 Kiora Bests the Sea God (THB) 52

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Castle Gary's Brig makes 18 mana with Nick bloom elder

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Well I just drew Kiora Bests the Sea God guess I know what I'm doing with any deck I have that has blue in it because this card is absurd.

E: ahahahaa nyxbloom in Temur Elementals is stupid as poo poo.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 17, 2020

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Just ban Cat Oven ffs

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
If you destroy an Entrancing Lyre while it's tapping your creature, that creature never gets untapped...wish I'd thought of that before casting Return to Nature!

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Does the draft token from the mastery pass go away when the mastery pass leaves or can I save it for Ikoria?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

If you destroy an Entrancing Lyre while it's tapping your creature, that creature never gets untapped...wish I'd thought of that before casting Return to Nature!

Oooh nice. Is there a way to flicker Lyre?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Is that right? It seems like a bug given how the card is worded.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Just had the worst sealed ever, 4C goodstuff with poo poo like Kiora Bests the Sea God at the top-end, lots of good enchantments and multiple Lagonna-Band Storytellers. Went 0 - 3. Wouldn't even complain that much if I lost to greed, not getting my fixing or being overrun without early-drops and poo poo. But every single game I stalled poo poo out and never drew any of my good cards. Seriously two of the games went to me being <10 cards, and Kiora Bests the Sea God didn't even show up once. The third game my opponent just got a poo poo flier out and had counterspells for my couple removals while I didn't draw any of my 4 fliers for 8 turns and died. Worst part is, every single game I got my fixing in order fast (15 total lands + 2 amulets and 2 Caryatids so not super high on lands) and could play whatever I drew, and every game I got boots on the ground and clogged things with 2-drops and 3-drops in preparation for my bombs...no dice.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OK yeah monoblack devotion is going bonkers. And by devotion I mean Gray Merchant.

Even when I don't draw Gary it's a really strong deck, just NIghtmare Shepherd on its own is extremely strong with the number of black cards that just don't care about being turned into a 1/1.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I really like that the client seems to know when it disconnects from the server now and gives you the option to reconnect. I used to drop and just have to guess that something went wrong when my opponent wasn't doing anything for a while, which was frustrating.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Where do I submit a ticket for network problems?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Insurrectionist posted:

That's a bug. A card that's not i play is not tapped. Report it.

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Entrancing%20Lyre

gatherer posted:

If Entrancing Lyre leaves the battlefield, it’s no longer tapped, so the creature is free to untap as usual.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Where do I submit a ticket for network problems?

https://mtgarena-support.wizards.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I submitted a ticket last night for my disconnect in my elimination match. Do you need to explicitly request a refund or is just submitting the ticket good enough?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

axeil posted:

I submitted a ticket last night for my disconnect in my elimination match. Do you need to explicitly request a refund or is just submitting the ticket good enough?

Just submitting the ticket is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
RNG is really liking me so far this season.