Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CopperHound posted:

I like that the new office, when it is actually working correctly, allows versioning and collaborative document editing kind of like gSuite without having the potential to hold all my work hostage that Google has.

I think that is all the good stuff I have to say about it.

E: I don't actually have any basis for my looming fear of relying on Google for everything.

It’s really good

I used it a bunch to do collab stuff for school. The google suite is clunky trash and web apps were a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Fallom posted:

It’s really good

I used it a bunch to do collab stuff for school. The google suite is clunky trash and web apps were a mistake

oh absolutely. talk about bad compatibility, the google suite makes almost every document look totally different from how it should in some notable way

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Boomers love HOAs

https://twitter.com/thenewstribune/status/1217547970033410049

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
HoA are for people who want to move black people to camps hth

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Play posted:

oh absolutely. talk about bad compatibility, the google suite makes almost every document look totally different from how it should in some notable way

Haha, oh no. My company bought another last year and they decided to integrate the bought company's google colab environment. I'm insulated being in the "buy this gpu from 2002" part of the company, but it'll hit soon enough.

Also, for the boomer-as-mindset crowd, I work with a guy who saves all excel files as excel 97, which fucks everything up, and he's last-year gen x.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
If you have your own lawn you're basically a war criminal.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Beachcomber posted:

If you have your own lawn you're basically a war criminal.

gently caress you my lawn is awesome. i have literally never mowed once. it's basically a 4 foot tall solid barrier of queen annes lace and blue stem flowering grasses. more bunnies than you can gently caress a stick at.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
sorry im osrryy beachcomber i shouldnt have said you should eff yourself, this was not an appropriate eff word scenario i'm just sore and cranky about Things.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

sorry im osrryy beachcomber i shouldnt have said you should eff yourself, this was not an appropriate eff word scenario i'm just sore and cranky about Things.

No worries, it sounds more like you have a meadow than a lawn. Please post a picture.

I am very much in favor of xeriscaping and/or native plants. Even interesting rocks.

The industry that does this:

Is what I'm railing against.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Beachcomber posted:

The industry that does this:
Is what I'm railing against.

I want my house to look as fake, sterile, and lacking all the same amount of humanity as the ones I see on TV sit coms and soap operas.

If I can not manage my life is failure.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I loving hate the concept of grass so much.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
My crazy as gently caress boomer boss owns a restaurant, so you know he's already mentally unstable. In between keeping the whole FoH staff there repeatedly on a Sat waiting to get paid for hours while he blasts lovely classic rock and he and some rich boomer he wants to look cool in front of by inviting them up to the bar after closing so they can all talk about how totally cool they were back in the day and bitch about all the younger generations who don't know anything about work ethic etc while telling one of exactly 7 stories he has, and his amazing ability to be the world's only angry stoner (things have become rough since he discovered vape pens) he's a magical pile of all the shittiest parts of that generation. He also texts like a 13 year old girl, with emojis everywhere and no punctuation/capitalization. I will give him credit on 100% having his employees back when it comes to personal/family emergencies, and if he hears you're in some kind of bind is more than happy to loan you whatever you need to be paid back in like $20-50 installments from paychecks or whatever, but it doesn't quite make up for the little emperor syndrome and the conspiracy theories.

Also to add to grass chat, but there was a quote that always stuck with me that future generations will look on suburban lawn care in the same way we look at Mayan blood rituals

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Mayan blood rituals are loving rad af actually. if capitalism was an actual blood ritual rather than just a simulated one i would be its biggest proponent

also i would post photos of my yard but it's ganuary. everything is dead. there's nothing pretty at all going on rn.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

gently caress you my lawn is awesome. i have literally never mowed once. it's basically a 4 foot tall solid barrier of queen annes lace and blue stem flowering grasses. more bunnies than you can gently caress a stick at.

But your neighbor’s property values! [[[clutches pearls]]]

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
lol my brother and his wife went out of town after moving to a new house and his neighbors came by to ask that they let them know when they'll be out of town so they can keep the lawn mowed

https://michaelpollan.com/articles-archive/why-mow-the-case-against-lawns/

quote:

Mowing the lawn, I felt like I was battling the earth rather than working it; each week it sent forth a green army and each week I beat it back with my infernal machine. Unlike every other plant in my garden, the grasses were anonymous, massified, deprived of any change or development whatsoever, not to mention any semblance of self-determination. I ruled a totalitarian landscape.

Hot monotonous hours behind the mower gave rise to existential speculations. I spent part of one afternoon trying to decide who, in the absurdist drama of lawn mowing, was Sisyphus. Me? A case could certainly be made. Or was it the grass, pushing up through the soil every week, one layer of cells at a time, only to be cut down and then, perversely, encouraged (with fertilizer, lime, etc.) to start the whole doomed process over again? Another day it occurred to me that time as we know it doesn’t exist in the lawn, since grass never dies or is allowed to flower and set seed. Lawns are nature purged of sex and death. No wonder Americans like them so much.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

bobjr posted:

This would be older than boomer but a professor at my college who was in his 80’s when I was there refused to learn email, and would have someone print it out, he would hand write a response, and then someone else would send it as an email. My job has a lot of new things to learn and adjust to, so I think it would be weird if I just dug my foot in and went “no I’m doing it this way like it or not” and would only have myself to blame if it lost me my job or made me unable to get another because I didn’t learn that thing.

I had a boomer boss who had been working in her heavily computer reliant field for decades, and didn't know you could sort tabular data in Excel, a program she used every day. There is a loving button for it. She had been working with tabular data on a daily basis for decades, and she did not know this was a thing you could do.

She had her boss thinking she was hot poo poo because she'd won a bunch of awards. Turns out that was because they were based on statistics about her department. Ones which, as the manager, she self reported. Yeah turned out when I checked the most recent stats two thirds were lies.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Methanar posted:

I loving hate the concept of grass so much.

preach, it's the loving worst. i've been lured into a surburban hellscape where i have so much of it and people around me will get mad if i don't do something about it. i'm leaving soon and that's a big part of why. it's totally insane and wasteful that people have tiny golf courses in the front and back of their homes, and they mostly serve no purpose but for their neighbors to judge.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

preach, it's the loving worst. i've been lured into a surburban hellscape where i have so much of it and people around me will get mad if i don't do something about it. i'm leaving soon and that's a big part of why. it's totally insane and wasteful that people have tiny golf courses in the front and back of their homes, and they mostly serve no purpose but for their neighbors to judge.

gently caress mowing, and gently caress people who care/call the cops about it. I'm glad I made sure to get a no hoa/block charter area to live in, but I still have poo poo boomer hypocrite neighbors who have no idea what reality is

E: I made sure when I moved in to let them know my past and that I'm white trash because gently caress their standards. They don't complain to me anymore because

A: I help around the neighborhood

B: I coach youth league wrestling while they do Jack poo poo for their spawn/grandspawn

C: I point out their bullshit and that hurts fee fees because gently caress or "elders" that are boomers

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 17, 2020

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
I think it's also a geographic thing. Where I grew up in the midwest there was a lot of pride in lawns. Big, empty, perfectly manicured lawns that never got used.

In Puget Sound theres less land and lots of hills. Yards are smaller and there are way more trees and shrubs. I see more people gardening here than I ever did in the midwest and a much wider variety of plant life in people's yards.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I guess I'd like a back yard-area to, like, have space (like a patio or a shed for painting)? But yeah gently caress front-yard lawns.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Schadenboner posted:

I guess I'd like a back yard-area to, like, have space (like a patio or a shed for painting)? But yeah gently caress front-yard lawns.

I'm going to put a big dog run in my back yard, just not walling the whole yard off so I don't have to deal with getting the city and neighbors involved and it'll be cheaper

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
When I worked tree removal I had to deal with such insufferable poo poo in regards to lawns. Boomer MBA types thinking I can get a dozen dead trees out of a backyard without a hint of wear and tear on the grass. A guy threatening to withhold payment on a massive removal, threatening that he "knows a lot of people" because the grass got thinned out in one spot completely out of sight. Mental breakdowns over loving grass all the drat time. Meanwhile it's hard manual labor and you're just happy you didn't get injured today.

I have a million boomer complaints working in that business; I was on the forefront.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

20 Blunts posted:

When I worked tree removal I had to deal with such insufferable poo poo in regards to lawns. Boomer MBA types thinking I can get a dozen dead trees out of a backyard without a hint of wear and tear on the grass. A guy threatening to withhold payment on a massive removal, threatening that he "knows a lot of people" because the grass got thinned out in one spot completely out of sight. Mental breakdowns over loving grass all the drat time. Meanwhile it's hard manual labor and you're just happy you didn't get injured today.

I have a million boomer complaints working in that business; I was on the forefront.

:suspense:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PathAsc posted:

I'm going to put a big dog run in my back yard, just not walling the whole yard off so I don't have to deal with getting the city and neighbors involved and it'll be cheaper

Nah, I'd go full Wilson-Plus on whomever my bitch-rear end neighbors would be.

Might even get historical and make it Berlin Wall-themed?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

RobotDogPolice posted:

I think it's also a geographic thing. Where I grew up in the midwest there was a lot of pride in lawns. Big, empty, perfectly manicured lawns that never got used.

In Puget Sound theres less land and lots of hills. Yards are smaller and there are way more trees and shrubs. I see more people gardening here than I ever did in the midwest and a much wider variety of plant life in people's yards.

This is so loving true. I have plans of turning my small front yard into a causal orchard, and the larger back yard has fruit bushes, sunflowers, the start of a japanese maple grove (with a whole bunch of nativars!) and raised beds with veggies. If I had gently caress you money I'd have a massive glass greenhouse to grow citrus and throw parties in.

gently caress grass. gently caress lawns. Every drat thing I plant is another part of the lawn that gets dug up and ruined and I have tons of insects to show for it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

My city must have gotten someone new on this job, where lawns that might have gone a couple weeks without mowing get a few big “MOW YOUR LAWN OR BE FINED” signs planted in them, when before I only saw them in places that looked like it had gone for months.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Boomer gaming rig

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One of those screens should be on Drudge Report.

Also tons of browsers windows instead of tabs.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Also tons of browsers windows instead of in addition to tons of tabs.

Boomers love keeping every website they've visited in the last month open at all times so they don't "lose" it.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

VideoTapir posted:

I had a boomer boss who had been working in her heavily computer reliant field for decades, and didn't know you could sort tabular data in Excel, a program she used every day. There is a loving button for it. She had been working with tabular data on a daily basis for decades, and she did not know this was a thing you could do.

She had her boss thinking she was hot poo poo because she'd won a bunch of awards. Turns out that was because they were based on statistics about her department. Ones which, as the manager, she self reported. Yeah turned out when I checked the most recent stats two thirds were lies.

I had a boss that used microsoft word for creating tables and then she would print them and calculate changes on paper with pen and pocket calculator, when i created a table in excel i got told to made identical one in word so she can print it and then she would ask me every ten minutes for some change in both tables so then she could print them and change something else with her pen so i can rewrite entire thing again.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

RustyKnight posted:

I had a boss that used microsoft word for creating tables and then she would print them and calculate changes on paper with pen and pocket calculator, when i created a table in excel i got told to made identical one in word so she can print it and then she would ask me every ten minutes for some change in both tables so then she could print them and change something else with her pen so i can rewrite entire thing again.

This is violence and deserves all the worst things.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The military is the most boomer environment there is. Senior leadership is a bunch of authoritarian and inflexible olds who will gladly flush countless hours and dollars down the toilet because "that's how we do things, you dont get paid to think."

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Elderbean posted:

The military is the most boomer environment there is. Senior leadership is a bunch of authoritarian and inflexible olds who will gladly flush countless hours and dollars down the toilet because "that's how we do things, you dont get paid to think."

flushing money down the toilet is the point of the military

they are doing everyone a good service by wasting time (hopefully not killing people) imo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

How boomers envision a man who "likes to run": *effeminate version of Lance Armstrong. Short and wiry, comically lean, one testicle*

How boomers envision a man who lifts: *montage of the male Gears of War cast*

A Boomer I know has the utmost respect and reverence for any warrior trained in the mystical fighting arts of "them ones that know car-ought-eee" or Taekwondo, as if they were trained assassins

I blame 80's action movies

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Fried Watermelon posted:

they are doing everyone a good service by wasting time (hopefully not killing people) imo

the us military by itself produces more pollution than the entire country of portugal

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Schadenboner posted:

Nah, I'd go full Wilson-Plus on whomever my bitch-rear end neighbors would be.

Might even get historical and make it Berlin Wall-themed?

I mean, my family did come from Hanover for the most part, up in the hills. "Hill people" explains a lot lol.

I don't care that much to make a privacy fence. We're getting goats next year and starting an apiary, so I don't want the animals just loving with poo poo in the entire yard. I've got plenty of room and that's good enough.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bonzo posted:

Boomer gaming rig

I'm not buying it. A boomer at the last place I worked refused to use even a second screen. This was at a payroll company where you were constantly juggling PDF's and Excels.

In a strange way I envy them for their tranquility, in the same situation I would have died of stress, frustration, and anxiety

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Apparently you’ve never met a Microsoft Flight Simulator obsessed Boomer fan.

Imagine that, but it’s CRT’s.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Play posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Never heard about it

The kind of music he made was invented and played by black people. Most of them never made any money off and and especially didn't become the kind of mega star that he did. A lot of his stuff was covers of old rhythm and blues which is the early form of rock. Basically whitey was afraid to listen to that stuff until he came along. "Jungle music" is often how R&B/early rock was referred to.

Fried Watermelon posted:

They suck up many times the amount of money that medicare for all and various other important social programs would cost. They never stop killing people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

A Boomer I know has the utmost respect and reverence for any warrior trained in the mystical fighting arts of "them ones that know car-ought-eee" or Taekwondo, as if they were trained assassins

I blame 80's action movies

In the 70s/80s there was a lot of fake martial art gyms that trained you by pretending to be like Bruce Lee.
It is no wonder its in the mindset of some now still.