Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

:golfclap:
I've been hoping for a system like this for ages. The idea of having a bulky duffel bag or rucksack that I can just dump on the floor in preperation for melee combat is something I've wanted for about as long as I've been playing the game. I hate that if I wear a bag that interferes with bashing the fashzombies, I can drop it but then random poo poo in my inventory just spills out on the ground uncontrollably until I'm no longer overburdened.

Also, played the experimental for the first time in a long time and goddamn am I grateful for the improvements to shelters and their contents. Having first aid kits available means wether I survive my first day or so is no longer entirely a dice roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What the gently caress, this all sounds good and helpful? Where is my horrible tedium disguised as “realism”?

Seriously though, I’m looking forward to this, thanks for mentioning it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What the gently caress, this all sounds good and helpful? Where is my horrible tedium disguised as “realism”?

Seriously though, I’m looking forward to this, thanks for mentioning it.

That comes in as 'tuning' since those same pedantic fucks lack the drive to make positive longterm additions since it requires vision in place of spite.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah like half of that changelog is essentially the opposite of what I would normally expect from the CDDA crew. Real pleased to see this stuff getting attention.

Does your weight still fluctuate like crazy just from remaining reasonably well-fed? The last time I booted this up, my guy got super fat in like a week, just from eating stale sandwiches and boiled noodles.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Inglonias posted:

[*] Being high up vastly increases the distance you can see. This means that radio towers are a good find. Not only will you occasionally find a sniper perch up there, but you can explore the surrounding area in an instant.

Wait, does this mean you can start shooting at other Z levels now? Because that could be kind of a nightmare.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Caidin posted:

Wait, does this mean you can start shooting at other Z levels now? Because that could be kind of a nightmare.

Zombies don't tend to shoot anything so you should be good.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

Zombies don't tend to shoot anything so you should be good.

I'm more concerned they're going to start dropping turrets on top of police stations or shops or something.

Or just making bumbling into the range of a prick with a sniper rifle an issue.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

How do people survive leaving lab starts? I tried one for a change of pace and couldn't escape because the entrance is, as per usual, guarded by a turret and I got swiss cheesed

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The most important question is: when will we be able to bodge wings, propellers, and a pair of V8 engines onto a houseboat to create a glorious flying survivormobile

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Angry Diplomat posted:

The most important question is: when will we be able to bodge wings, propellers, and a pair of V8 engines onto a houseboat to create a glorious flying survivormobile

No idea if you're joking or not, but sooner than you may think

Caidin posted:

You can. Z-level vision is in the game, but it slows things to a crawl so it's not advisable.

EDIT: I now realize what you meant. Let me clarify.

No, nobody will start shooting at you. The sniper you find up there is already dead.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 17, 2020

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

PiCroft posted:

How do people survive leaving lab starts? I tried one for a change of pace and couldn't escape because the entrance is, as per usual, guarded by a turret and I got swiss cheesed

It kind of depends on the lab but I have a lot of luck with subway exits and basement lab entrances that mercifully leave the turrets in an adjoining room so you at least have a chance to swipe the drat card.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Caidin posted:

I'm more concerned they're going to start dropping turrets on top of police stations or shops or something.

Or just making bumbling into the range of a prick with a sniper rifle an issue.

See, devs? You see what you've done? Even this positive thing is now perverted by your twisted philosophy.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Pfft, amature. Just make your car tall enough to reach every z level and you don't need to fly

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Caidin posted:

It kind of depends on the lab but I have a lot of luck with subway exits and basement lab entrances that mercifully leave the turrets in an adjoining room so you at least have a chance to swipe the drat card.

If you can hide behind furniture the turret can't see you.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

Pfft, amature. Just make your car tall enough to reach every z level and you don't need to fly

Build the Treehouse from Brigador!

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Bug Squash posted:

Build the Treehouse from Brigador!

I can't decide if the devs working on new vehicle related features are geniuses or crazy people. Maybe both. I dunno. Vehicles in this game are not exactly easy to deal with.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

PiCroft posted:

The turret can't see you in the shadows when you stand on the stairs, so I usually dismantle furniture and craft a jillion throwing sticks. You won't damage the turret at all until your throwing levels up to 2, and then you'll only damage the turret on a crit but throwing sticks just cost wood and you can get basically infinite of that from dismantling beds and wardrobes in the lab bedrooms.

Throwing sticks might be added by one of the built-in mods that adds more survival recipes for woods livin', not sure. This strategy worked 1 year ago, no idea if they've changed the mechanics to make it undoable.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

Ah yes, the iconic dozen-decker bus

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

To be fair rolling around the wastes in some kind've siege tower of vehicles starting with a battle tank and ending with a tiny tricycle is both hillarious and thematic, bonus points if the driver has to pilot it by peddling the tricycle.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So this z-level stuff being hyped about, like radio towers, isn't something we should probably actually play with yet, right? Does the increased view distance still affect radio towers if we have experimental z-levels turned off, or does that reduce them back to flat 1-level structures?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Inglonias posted:

If you can hide behind furniture the turret can't see you.

This combined with grabbing & moving sounds like fun. Sneak a dresser right up to a turret, light the dresser on fire, then retreat while crouched so it can't see you.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Nevets posted:

This combined with grabbing & moving sounds like fun. Sneak a dresser right up to a turret, light the dresser on fire, then retreat while crouched so it can't see you.
This was actually a valid escape tactic already, it turns out! A friend of mine had a small safe pool of shadow at the top of the stairs and he lugged material up there, built a wooden, wheeled vehicle which was basically just a frame and a curtain, and rolled past the turret like it was a saturday morning cartoon.
Now that turrets have night vision I'm not sure that could work.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

So this z-level stuff being hyped about, like radio towers, isn't something we should probably actually play with yet, right? Does the increased view distance still affect radio towers if we have experimental z-levels turned off, or does that reduce them back to flat 1-level structures?

The Z level thing has been in the last few experimentals I played since November I think. I assume it's been tweaked some but standing on the ledge of any second story or higher building would give a fairly large chunk of revealed map that's magnified by things like binoculars and the Scout mutation to extent of mapping out most of a large city just by standing on somebody's porch roof. How high you actually were didn't seem to increase the affect though.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I def climbed up a radio tower a week or so ago and found a bedroll, a survivior telescope, and a radio so i think it is in now.

Also fun fact, buildings now have roofs with poo poo on them that you can climb up using the drainpipe (which also acts as a deployed funnel, making collecting water super loving easy). Roofs will often have vents and satellites dishes and poo poo you can dissemble, as wells as those unique landscaope things like dead bodies or last stand barricades with sand bags and casings.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

This was actually a valid escape tactic already, it turns out! A friend of mine had a small safe pool of shadow at the top of the stairs and he lugged material up there, built a wooden, wheeled vehicle which was basically just a frame and a curtain, and rolled past the turret like it was a saturday morning cartoon.
Now that turrets have night vision I'm not sure that could work.

I'm mentally picturing a hastily drawn on in permanent marker picture of a crappy robot, the turret watching it as it goes past like the lamp from the pixar logo in a vaguely suspicious manner.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Did they ever implement the 'biomes' system or whatever it was called?

Many years ago a contributor was adding things like fungus infested or pre-looted towns.
They put in some work and then it stalled or got rejected by Kevin Grognard? I don't remember and haven't played since to check.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Well fungal towers definitely exist so I'll just ramble about them for a bit. They will more often than not spread the fungal infection into the town proper and in fact for very VERY short periods of time, such as on the first day, regular zombies pathological hatred for fungal zombies can be used as a good chaos buffer to get some otherwise inaccessible looting done.

That said unless something major has changed the fungal towers can be destroyed but not cleansed from the soil and thus in the long term it's untenable to live anywhere near one because of FPS death, can't sleep due to poofing noise etc.

Also your character can and will be infected by getting too close to the fungal spores without 'proper' environmental coverage. What's environmental coverage? Like dust masks and rubber shoes and stuff. It's represented by a single number under an item's description between 1 and 7 iirc? 7 is better. What is enough protection to avoid fungal infection? Good question I think I spent like an hour while drunk trying to Google this out, and now of course I don't remember. I think it has to be full body protection though so you need environmental coverage on your shoes legs waist arms head and hands, a hazmat suit can work for this, though if you get in a real fight or zombies pass diagonally through your supercar walls then the encumbrance makes you a dead man.

Finally if you do get fungal infected you start puking spores so you can't sleep (how fun) then you have to find antifungal medicine from a pharmacy or whatever. Unlike 20 use antibiotic iirc you get 5 uses of this. Plan well.

Some unanswered questions I have re: environmental coverage, if you have a hazmat suit on I'm pretty sure it counts as a helmet, does that protect the player's mouth by default or does the player need a gas mask/dustmask as well?

What is the minimum environmental coverage to not get fungal infected?

What would be the best outfit for both not dying to weird diseases and occasionally fighting a zombie out of your car.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 18, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Survivor armor probably covers this because I've never been infected with a full set on, but I've never stuck around in a fungal area longer than driving through it at high speed so I'm not 100% sure on that.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Survivor armor probably covers this because I've never been infected with a full set on, but I've never stuck around in a fungal area longer than driving through it at high speed so I'm not 100% sure on that.

I wandered into a few fungal zones with survivor armor on as of the core .D release and with survivor armor I could literally go walk up to the core with a sword of some kind and beat it to death without getting a fungal infection most of the time. I think I got one... once? Note, I was also a strange plant being who was uncomfortable with hats crushing my lovely head flowers so I may not have had a hat on.

Long story short, though, fungal infection is not that common with a bare minimum of environmental protection. With that said, things could have changed since then- I played an experimental version a little and fungus spreads on terrain way the hell faster now, so the chance of a fungal infection could've changed with whatever updated that.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
More so than the fact that fungal infection chance is particularly high I rate them as must avoid simply because in the off chance that you do get one it's so damned annoying to actually get healthy again.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Is it? I don't really play but i watch a lot of LPs and iirc every time someone gets fungus they are instantly cured after taking an antifungal pill.

Not at all like actual infection-infections, after you take enough antibiotics (to not die) and beat it there's a pretty grim post-infection recovery phase.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Well apparently item spawns have been significantly increased so maybe it is gonna eventually be no big deal but in older builds by the time you have easy access to anti fungal pills it often meant you have the means of visiting a good number of pharmacies/hospitals and usually by that point if you're so inclined you can usually just drive far around the fungal towers anyway. For me the annoyance is when there is a fungal tower near your starting town and thus you don't have any of those means and if you get infected your odds of putting a proper car together and getting lucky on your first pharmacy were pretty low. Those pharmacies usually had a ton of strong zombies around on day one (another welcome change is that with the new builds apparently we'll be seeing fewer of these early on) it was no peach to tackle more than one or two pharmacies in short bursts on the first day anyway so you really couldn't expect to raid and have certainty of sucess. Once you can adequately supply yourself you are correct that it's not annoying at all, other than the fact that getting a fungal infection in the first place means you willingly spent time in an area where your processor was slowly choking itself to death on fungal spore calculations and if you can adequately supply yourself with fungal medicine you probably didn't need to be in 'fungal town' as I call it to begin with.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 18, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Meanwhile an actual infection infection does have the recovery phase but there are also more than one way of cleansing it from your body. Specifically you can try and boost your health stat with multivitamins and those occasional syringes you can find that just say 'injecting this makes you feel tough!' when you use them. There is an option for putting a strong immune system on your character during character generation which increases your chances of recovering without actually having to do anything, and of course all survivors have a baseline chance of just getting better without doing anything at all. IIRC this is not so for fungal infections. The penalties for recovering from having a regular infection are also mostly just pain and nausea which while annoying probably won't result in the kind of annoyance that puking up fungal spores in the middle of trying to craft or sleep or drive will. (specifically the annoyance me having hit the button to re initiate sleep/whatever every two seconds)

Basically if there was some kinda fungus tea I could make that would keep the symptoms down I'd be a lot less down on fungal starts in general. Infection can be almost entirely avoided if you are a bit savvy to how the game tracks health and worst case if you are really really sure that you won't find any kind of disinfectant (another good change, medkits now have disinfectant which makes them worth less when fully infected but worth way more as preventative because instead of two uses on a deep bite you get ten, also happy to hear some of these will start in survivor shelters) but if you are certain there is none around or whatever you can just start a fire and cauterize the wound and take a half-decent shot at fixing the problem entirely at the cost of a ton of pain and if it doesn't work the wound gets way way worse much faster. Thus Regular infections have things you can do about them from day one with nothing more than what you start with in your pockets. A fungal infection has as best I know exactly one cure. Maybe two if you count eating fungicide which I honestly don't remember if that works. Finding one specific item in a game so dependent on random number generation is a pain and I'd much rather be exhibiting symptoms of a regular infection if I had to make a choice than a fungal one especially if I have to actually travel to find locations I'd expect to see antifungal medication.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 18, 2020

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
I looked through git and found what I was thinking of.
Seems people did take a look at it in the intervening years, but like most things Cataclysm, it was on a road to nowhere.

Original: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/7892
A second attempt: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/24489

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This all sounds really cool, is there any timeline on when all these feature-frozen features will be ready in the next stable release? E, I think?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Motherfucker posted:

I'm mentally picturing a hastily drawn on in permanent marker picture of a crappy robot, the turret watching it as it goes past like the lamp from the pixar logo in a vaguely suspicious manner.

i was imagining something like the scene in the beginning of goldeneye where bond escapes from a bunch of russian guards by awkwardly walking across a room behind a tiny pushcart full of barrels

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLF3XDHKm9Y&t=374s

President Ark fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 18, 2020

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

This all sounds really cool, is there any timeline on when all these feature-frozen features will be ready in the next stable release? E, I think?

Anything marked as "feature freeze" for 0.E means that it will NOT be merged into the 0.E branch. If you're waiting for a stable release with the feature frozen PRs, you'll be waiting a while. The only things being merged into 0.E are non-code changes (new maps, fixing typos, etc.) and bug fixes.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Honestly the “houses have house things in them” update is huge. Also multi tools not being super rare. Getting your ankle sheaths filled with a multitool and butcher/hunting knife used to be late game but now you can do it D1. Once you find an ice axe (still rare but not unobtanium like before), you can butcher corpses and furniture alike for ~1L of inventory space.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

On the downside it looks like EMP grenades got nerfed out of existance so turrets are more threatening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Phone posting but I’ve got a post up thread about running over roadblocks and never needing 5.56mm again.