Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

D1E posted:

Is a GTX 1080 still a decent video card? Is $200 a fair price for one?

Genuinely asking for thread input:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911375

I'll revise based on feedback. Thanks!

yes it's still good. that price seems low.

edit- i thought you were looking to buy. nvm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm very happy with my 1080 and I think it still holds up, even if it can't give you 60 on ultra on new and unoptimized games. Mine is a couple of years old by this point, sounds like a reasonable price.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
My 970 still holds up well enough for my purposes so I can't imagine 1080 not being at the very least adequate for most people.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Most hype game of 2020 is now something I've already played for 300 hours on PS4.

This but also Death Stranding.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I’ve got an old 660 and have been trying to talk myself into either a 1060/1080 or springing for a 2060s. I miss being able to buy things in the steam sale!

Although I suppose buying games I lack the technical capability for so they sit on a backlog for years is very on-brand steam use.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Lightningproof posted:

If we're getting PS4 exclusives give me Persona 5 you cowards.

Can't be done, Atlus hates PC

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

They also don't like porting games to computers!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

sauer kraut posted:

Cyberpunk's delay absolutely has the smell of wanting to be THE must-have launch title for new consoles and the 2. gen RTX cards, as opposed to some 10 month old game that's already on 50% sale when the time comes.

Now that you mention it it really wouldn't be outside the relm of possibility that Nvidia did reach out them with a deal that would greatly benefit CD Projekt and Nvidia. More time to develop the game/bug fix, new series of cards to sell, hell maybe even a tie in pack of the 3070/3080 series of cards and Cyberpunk 2077.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Fifteen of Many posted:

I’ve got an old 660 and have been trying to talk myself into either a 1060/1080 or springing for a 2060s. I miss being able to buy things in the steam sale!

Although I suppose buying games I lack the technical capability for so they sit on a backlog for years is very on-brand steam use.

I guess I'll have a 1060 to sell after receiving the 1080 from D1E. I jumped from a 660 to a 1060 mid 2018 and it opened a whole new world of games to play.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Reminder that while the 1080 is still top of the line, its still like 4 years old. I recently got a 2060 and it's been fantastic. Similar price points, much newer card, can also do Ray tracing

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've got a 1070 and it can still run most games near-max at 1080p 60, with exceptions. Notably RDR2, though part of that might be my i5 processor. It's getting due for an upgrade/rebuild but I'm kinda waiting for the cards and CPUs that come out after the next wave of consoles.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Here's a weird blast from the past
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIZncEjZoig

Leal posted:

They also don't like porting games to computers!

lmao

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

I am excited for PC gamers to learn about why Ted Faro can get hosed.

I've seen this quote so many times, and now I absolutely want to know.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I have trouble imagining any demand at all for loving Kingpin.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Yeah, I remember it as mediocre at best

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Terminally Bored posted:

Atlus Japan does, Atlus USA has published a bunch of games on steam.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mordja posted:

I've got a 1070 and it can still run most games near-max at 1080p 60, with exceptions. Notably RDR2, though part of that might be my i5 processor. It's getting due for an upgrade/rebuild but I'm kinda waiting for the cards and CPUs that come out after the next wave of consoles.

My main issue now is my ancient i5 3570K. Thinking about the AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, but that also means new motherboard and RAM. I can never justify the latest and greatest for components, because that is just an insane amount of money. $200 for a GTX 1080 is a good bargain that should last quite awhile.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rookersh posted:

It is something you absolutely do not want spoiled. Like a lot of H:ZD.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Kibayasu posted:

I have trouble imagining any demand at all for loving Kingpin.

It was notable for the time because it released with elements like inventory, open levels, and locational damage before the big names for those like Deus Ex and Soldier of Fortune came out. It was also peak sleaze for a period when games were already trying to out-sleaze each other. But yeah, once the more polished and palatable games made it out, there was no reason to go back.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Ah, Kingping, the "Oh no is my graphics card broken?!" game of pulsating fun

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rookersh posted:

don't spoil it

like i know there's a statute of limitations on this stuff and HZD isn't exactly new, but spoiling this one would be absolutely criminal

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

(but not as criminal as loving Ted Faro)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Man, gently caress Ted Faro.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dias posted:

I'm playing DQ Builders 2 and gently caress me, I think I might enjoy Minecraft.

To be fair this game actually has objectives and stuff to work towards and looks cute and all. I think it falls right on my sweet spot of "no pressure but here's some poo poo that needs to be done" instead of being a complete sandbox or having some time pressure even when there's "no pressure".

I'm playing this on Switch but yeah this is exactly why I love the game too. You can absolutely take time and make things pretty and dick around building a 50 foot pixel megaman or whatever if you want to but they give you the objectives and you get to work around those to complete them. "Build a room with a door, a light source, and a bed" is what they give you, as long as you meet those requirements you can do whatever the hell else you want to do with the room. I also like the Animal Crossing-esque parts of the game where you're bringing people into the town over time. It's very fun.

I will say that about 30-40 hours in, after you complete the second island with the miners there's a very unfortunately placed section of the game that is very unfun and almost made me stop playing the game entirely. It's not super long, but does take a few hours to get through and really fuckin' drags.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
DQ Builders 2 is definitely way more engrossing than I would've thought it would be and than its reviews make it sound. For some reason, the journalists decided they really hated that game, but I'm really not sure why.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Man, gently caress Ted Faro.

*looking up to the sky like davy jones in the end of pirates of the caribbean 2* drat you ted faroooooooo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

DQ Builders 2 is definitely way more engrossing than I would've thought it would be and than its reviews make it sound. For some reason, the journalists decided they really hated that game, but I'm really not sure why.

It has 86 on Metacritic so I don't think most of them hated it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Andrast posted:

It has 86 on Metacritic so I don't think most of them hated it
Huh, yeah, you're right. Sorry, guess I must have mixed something up. No idea where I could've gotten that from. Last time I searched for reviews of the game, the result I got was somewhere in the general vicinity of 55%, I do remember that, but maybe it was a typo or something and I just didn't notice.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Baller Time posted:

Ah, Kingping, the "Oh no is my graphics card broken?!" game of pulsating fun

Kingpin, the game of beefy hotdog men.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kanfy posted:

My 970 still holds up well enough for my purposes so I can't imagine 1080 not being at the very least adequate for most people.

Yeah I upgraded my 970 and I've yet to really notice the difference.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unless you need high FPS 4K or do VR, most things over a 1080 are pretty overkill

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wait are 1080's really going for $200 these days? i paid $300 for a 1060 during the bitcoin boom, dammit

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

sebmojo posted:

Yeah I upgraded my 970 and I've yet to really notice the difference.

970s run new games at high settings at 30fps. You might get 60fps on lower settings but I wouldn't count on it.1080's do most games high settings at 60fps. 2060's seem to be more or less on par with 1080's.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 17, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

How's the new Goku game?

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much

Cowcaster posted:

wait are 1080's really going for $200 these days? i paid $300 for a 1060 during the bitcoin boom, dammit

Think it was a kind seller, another 1080 went for $280 a few threads down in SA Mart. I would jump at $200 without thinking twice to replace my RX480.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fifteen of Many posted:

Hard to go wrong with a 1660. It’s two hundo and runs basically everything new maxed at 1080p60 FPS

And as far as “gently caress Ted Faro” goes, I posted that exact phrase without knowing it was a Thing as my first post in the HZD spoiler thread and like eight people replied “One of us, one of us”. gently caress Ted Faro.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I bought HZD like 3 months ago on PSN, guess it's nigh time I actually played it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Protocol7 posted:

I bought HZD like 3 months ago on PSN, guess it's nigh time I actually played it.

It’s probably the best game I played in 2017. You’ll love it unless you have that weird goon allergy to open world games.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

you know what the fun part of the gently caress Ted Faro... meme, i guess... is? there isn't the remotest bit of irony, sarcasm, misdirection or other forms of lying in it

at least not when I type it, but I imagine most here share that feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

You know, I said the open world wasn't much in my initial post about how good HZD was, but when I think about it, some of my favorite moments in the game wouldn't be possible with a linear world.