Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/horrormuseum/status/1213984626198269952

“Tammy and the T-Rex gore restored 4k release” is not a sentence I expected in 2020 or any year really

There was a composite cut of this some fans made from a rough cut and an Italian tv broadcast iirc, but getting the fully restored version was a dream I never thought I'd see until they announced it last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tars Tarkas posted:

There was a composite cut of this some fans made from a rough cut and an Italian tv broadcast iirc, but getting the fully restored version was a dream I never thought I'd see until they announced it last year.

My favorite is when a dude gets smashed into a pancake by the Rex on the sidewalk and someone comes out from the building and rolls him up like a sleeping bag and takes him inside. Like, what???

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Captain Jesus posted:

If you look at the wikipedia list of western films released in the 70s (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Western_films_of_the_1970s) films labeled as "traditional western" are in the minority from the beginning of the decade. "Grim westerns" also didn't begin with High Plains Drifter and not even the american ones (though italian, the grimest western evern, the Great Silence, was released in 1968). I haven't watched the video in question but from the descriptions here it seems as if someone started with a conclusion - Blazing Saddles ended the age of traditional westerns - and then cherry picked arguments that support that conclusion.

It's not like comedy westerns were entirely new either. They Call Me Trinity, Trinity Is Still My Name and My Name Is Nobody were all released before Blazing Saddles.

Leone produced (and directed bits, accounts vary on how much work he did) of My Name Is Nobody essentially because he felt that if anyone was going to make fun of westerns it had better be him.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

RIP 20th Century Fox:

quote:

Disney Drops Fox Name, Will Rebrand as 20th Century Studios, Searchlight Pictures

The mouse has officially killed the fox.

In a move at once unsurprising and highly symbolic, the Walt Disney Company is dropping the “Fox” brand from the 21st Century Fox assets it acquired last March, Variety has learned. The 20th Century Fox film studio will become 20th Century Studios, and Fox Searchlight Pictures will become simply Searchlight Pictures.

On the TV side, however, no final decisions have been made about adjusting the monikers of production units 20th Century Fox Television and Fox 21 Television Studios. Discussions about a possible name change are underway, but no consensus has emerged, according to a source close to the situation.

Disney has already started the process to phase out the Fox name: Email addresses have changed for Searchlight staffers, with the fox.com address replaced with a searchlightpictures.com address. On the poster for Searchlight’s next film “Downhill,” with Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Will Ferrell, the credits begin with “Searchlight Pictures Presents.” The film will be the first Searchlight release to debut with the new logo. “Call of the Wild,” an upcoming family film, will be released under the 20th Century banner, sans Fox.

Those logos won’t be dramatically altered, just updated. The most notable change is that the word “Fox” has been removed from the logo marks. Otherwise, the signature elements — swirling klieg lights, monolith, triumphal fanfare — will remain the same.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/disney-dropping-fox-20th-century-studios-1203470349/

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MrBling posted:

It's not like comedy westerns were entirely new either. They Call Me Trinity, Trinity Is Still My Name and My Name Is Nobody were all released before Blazing Saddles.

Leone produced (and directed bits, accounts vary on how much work he did) of My Name Is Nobody essentially because he felt that if anyone was going to make fun of westerns it had better be him.

Yea but Blazing Saddles was a major hit, it made over 100 million on a budget of only a few million. Kinda like how The Matrix is gonna get most of the credit for the trends that became popular after it's release, even though Dark City had been out there for a year before that. The movie that connects with audiences the most gets the credit.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

MrBling posted:

Heck, Lee Marvin won an Oscar for Cat Ballou! There was also a bunch of old Western series that were obviously supposed to be funny, the Three Mesquiteers had a guy who ran around with a ventriloquist dummy for like the first 15 or so of those films.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Wasnt Doolittle supposed to be RDJs vanity project after retiring from marvel

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Maybe he always wanted to fist a dragon? You don't know him.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

NY Times is reporting that it's to avoid associations with Fox News, though they don't cite a source for that. Makes sense, though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Disney is definitely a name that has no associations with Nazi sympathizers.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

They probably figure there's a PR difference between a historical footnote regarding a dead man and sharing a name with a massive modern white-nationalist propaganda network.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Isn't "Fist the Dragon" already a movie title?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Way of the Fist Entering a Dragon

Edit: Sounds like a Wayans movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Sir Kodiak posted:

They probably figure there's a PR difference between a historical footnote regarding a dead man and sharing a name with a massive modern white-nationalist propaganda network.

Yeah modern disney doesnt care much about skin color, but they actively avoid pro-lgbt representation

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I don't know if I agree that they don't care much about skin color—I'm struggling to think of a notable interracial romance in one of their movies.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They still haven't made "Gay Days" an official event, even though it's been going on in the parks for almost thirty years. They sure as poo poo fill the shops with plenty of rainbow merchandise though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
this is because the venn diagram of fundamentalist christians and people with disney brain spiders is, more or less, a single circle

e: like, fundies claim to hate Disney because of gay, but in practice, if you see someone who's obsessed with Disney (and especially Disney Princesses) who seems way, way too old to be, they're 95% of the time also a hardcore fundie

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't know if I agree that they don't care much about skin color—I'm struggling to think of a notable interracial romance in one of their movies.

There was Finn and Rose before Rose disappeared into the background and was replaced by Dominic Monaghan for some reason.

And uh, yup that's about it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1218263295586701313

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
*without Nic Cage

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

*without Nic Cage

Really? Talk about letting the air out of the balloon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Grendels Dad posted:

*without Nic Cage

WHY!?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

*without Nic Cage
I'm proposing a spiritual sequel where he breaks into a castle he lost in the bankruptcy to retrieve some comic books he had hidden there.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hah, it is Justin Bartha's time to shine now!

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm proposing a spiritual sequel where he breaks into a castle he lost in the bankruptcy to retrieve some comic books he had hidden there.

And a second dinosaur skull.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I'm sorry, I was joking. I have no insight into the whats and whos of National Treasure 3. Cage is probably gonna be in it, what else would he have on his schedule?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

duz posted:

Maybe he always wanted to fist a dragon? You don't know him.

Like a Ben Kingsley in Bloodrayne thing?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm sorry, I was joking. I have no insight into the whats and whos of National Treasure 3. Cage is probably gonna be in it, what else would he have on his schedule?

Between Worlds 2

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but Blazing Saddles was a major hit, it made over 100 million on a budget of only a few million. Kinda like how The Matrix is gonna get most of the credit for the trends that became popular after it's release, even though Dark City had been out there for a year before that. The movie that connects with audiences the most gets the credit.

I mean, if a ton of people see a movie then it will probably have a big influence, even if it doesn't come first. It's harder to be influenced by something you aren't aware of.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

What if the National Treasure was just actor Nicholas Cage?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
A smaller nation inside.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

What if the National Treasure was just actor Nicholas Cage

's castle in Europe?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1218261175764430849

Oscar Isaac typecast as Ex Machina Guy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Gonz posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1218261175764430849

Oscar Isaac typecast as Ex Machina Guy.
When I first saw that he'd been cast in TFA I'd just seen Ex Machina and was a little taken aback because he played that scumbag maybe a little too well. He did a good job in TFA which showed me that he could play a heroic character too, but the next couple of movies had writing that made Poe considerably less likable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's okay because I'm fairly certain you aren't supposed to like the main character of Ex Machina

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

When I first saw that he'd been cast in TFA I'd just seen Ex Machina and was a little taken aback because he played that scumbag maybe a little too well. He did a good job in TFA which showed me that he could play a heroic character too, but the next couple of movies had writing that made Poe considerably less likable.

He was asked during the promotional tour for TROS recently if he’d consider coming back to play Poe down the line in any Disney productions and he started laughing and said “Nope”.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Casimir Radon posted:

After Inside Llewyn Davis, I’ll watch just about anything Oscar Isaac is in without question.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Len posted:

It's okay because I'm fairly certain you aren't supposed to like the main character of Ex Machina
It's more that he was totally believable as a creepy techbro who likes killing humanoid robots.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvYPCNCGEK8

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Len posted:

Hey, Mayor Hundred’s a guy with a tough job, cut him some slack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Holy hell

I'm in a pizzeria and the pizza came uncut but with a pair of scissors

Cobra was a documentary