Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
https://avherald.com/h?article=4d1de8cc&opt=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Anyone ever slept in the crew rest compartment on an airliner?

They look a bit claustrophobic.

They’re not terrible on the 747s, especially the ones that were built as freighters versus converted, none of our 767s have them though, which sucks.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

The brave pilots had to open the side window to clean z windshield to land the plane.( un official report)

Wow.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

e.pilot posted:

They’re not terrible on the 747s, especially the ones that were built as freighters versus converted, none of our 767s have them though, which sucks.

Lots of times when I would sleep back there the slight nose high deck angle would trick my inner ear into thinking I was falling over backwards just as I started to fall asleep. I actually slept better in the seats in the back.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I'm probably missing something obvious, but why would they need to clean the windshield? Couldn't they do an instrument landing?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Craptacular posted:

I'm probably missing something obvious, but why would they need to clean the windshield? Couldn't they do an instrument landing?

Can't see the runway at minimums if the windshield is covered

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

Can't see the runway at minimums if the windshield is covered

Not seeing the runway hasn't stopped Jerry. :colbert:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I thought it was possible to do instrument landings now with no visibility at all (?).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Craptacular posted:

I thought it was possible to do instrument landings now with no visibility at all (?).

I don't think ils cat iiic exists in the real world?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

F-14s can do it on a carrier :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

F-14s can do it on a carrier :colbert:

Carriers actually have a bespoke radar system for that.

Had, anyway, that spectrum (CBRS) is now being freed up for private LTE networks.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dumb question, and while sorta MCAS related but...

AoA sensors, one would better than two right? Three would be good, otherwise you get to the split-brain problem. As in, which sensor do you trust or do you take a vote scenario.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Dumb question, and while sorta MCAS related but...

AoA sensors, one would better than two right? Three would be good, otherwise you get to the split-brain problem. As in, which sensor do you trust or do you take a vote scenario.

yeah think about it like this, if we save a few bucks by skipping on an aoa sensor the ceo's bonus will be a bit larger

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I think a lot of single redundant systems will compare results to what the computer thinks should be reasonable, like if you maybe have your two AoA sensors disagreeing and your inertial navigation says you going in a straight line, your VSI says your altitude isn't changing, your ASI is reading reasonable speed, etc, it might decide the one sensor saying you're stalling is faulty and stop paying attention to it.

I pretty much work on Pipers and King Airs though, so take a few grains of salt

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm pretty sure there was a crash caused by two AoA sensors going bad simultaneously, so 3 is good for redundancy but don't solve with a vote.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I think a lot of single redundant systems will compare results to what the computer thinks should be reasonable, like if you maybe have your two AoA sensors disagreeing and your inertial navigation says you going in a straight line, your VSI says your altitude isn't changing, your ASI is reading reasonable speed, etc, it might decide the one sensor saying you're stalling is faulty and stop paying attention to it.

I pretty much work on Pipers and King Airs though, so take a few grains of salt

Also remember to turn on the (optional) red light that says the sensors disagree.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm pretty sure there was a crash caused by two AoA sensors going bad simultaneously, so 3 is good for redundancy but don't solve with a vote.

There are 2 AoA sensors, one for the captain's instruments, one for the F/O's instruments. The problem is that if the captain's failed while the F/O's was ok MCAS would go nuts and a "AoA disagree" warning would show up ( but only if you had the instrument panel AoA indicators turned on )

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
MCAS sure is something. I've been listening through back episodes of an aviation podcast (Airline Pilot Guy) and am up to the ones in late 2018. The Lion air plane has crashed and they've been talking about it a bit, some blame directed at Boeing but also a lot directed at the pilots for not disconnecting the electric stabilizer trim and recovering the airplane. Very curious to see if that changes as time goes on and Ethiopian 302 goes down followed by the MAX being grounded.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

hobbesmaster posted:

There are 2 AoA sensors, one for the captain's instruments, one for the F/O's instruments. The problem is that if the captain's failed while the F/O's was ok MCAS would go nuts and a "AoA disagree" warning would show up ( but only if you had the instrument panel AoA indicators turned on )

Ah poo poo, had a dumbass attack with this one. Was thinking of one instead of two pilots and getting the proper reading. Automotive pedal type values and readings type thing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The real problem is that MCAS is a garbage system designed by idiots who were cutting corners to solve a problem that shouldn't have needed solving but for the fact airlines are whiny and cheap, which itself comes back to the fact that the vast majority of consumers have no idea what air travel actually costs to do properly and would kill their own mother to save $10 on a fare.

On a related note, one of our ULCCs had another incident in Mexico where a flight got cancelled and they handled it in an ultra-low-cost manner and now everyone is pissed. Where do these people think the ultra-low-cost comes from?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 17, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah, if you have three sensors and one is known to be failed, then when your two remaining ones disagree you're stuck. Obviously you need four sensors so that you can put one out of service and still vote with the remaining three.

This is the GPC (general purpose computer) status readout in the space shuttle:

The shuttle had four identical computer systems running the same flight control software, constantly comparing against each other and voting. If there was a failure or consistent disagreement in one of the systems the commander would be alerted through this panel and he could manually take that system out of the loop, while leaving three to continue voting.

But what if all four computers failed simultaneously? They're all identical and running the same software, so it's possible that an unknown hardware or software error could take them all out at once. In that case the commander can switch in #5, the backup flight computer, which is immune to the errors in the first four computers because it uses completely different hardware and software built by a different contractor, and which only contains the logic required to get the shuttle in and out of orbit.

Anything less is basically criminal

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Maybe manufacturers should just build planes that someone can fly with their hands and feet and poo poo without involving a "should I dive at the ground??? Y/N" computer

also what PT6A said

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Maybe manufacturers should just build planes that someone can fly with their hands and feet and poo poo without involving a "should I dive at the ground??? Y/N" computer

Let's not go too far. MCAS was definitely a problem, but computerization is essential in being able to run a huge and complex system like a modern transport aircraft with a flight crew of two, and have a decent chance of not dying if one pilot is incapacitated. It is, in essence, a flight control in its own right at this point, and a faulty system like MCAS is no different from a poorly engineered mechanical system that has an obvious and severe failure mode.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sanchez posted:

MCAS sure is something. I've been listening through back episodes of an aviation podcast (Airline Pilot Guy) and am up to the ones in late 2018. The Lion air plane has crashed and they've been talking about it a bit, some blame directed at Boeing but also a lot directed at the pilots for not disconnecting the electric stabilizer trim and recovering the airplane. Very curious to see if that changes as time goes on and Ethiopian 302 goes down followed by the MAX being grounded.

Ultimately it's the swiss cheese model:

This is a standard model for understanding process risk. Engineering controls attempt to prevent the risks by engineering them out of existence. Administrative controls prohibit actions or decisions that increase the risk. Behavioral controls teach the user how to operate the system safely and correctly. When an error gets through all of those, it becomes an incident, and then you have physical barriers (failsafes, shields, etc) that try to stop the damage. If those too fail, you have a catastrophe.

In this case no single factor was entirely responsible for crashes, and changing any one would be enough to prevent them.

- The plane was designed with less than optimal handling characteristics in the first place. (engineering)
- There was not enough physical redundancy in the AoA system. (engineering)
- There was no standard warning system to indicate a failure in the AoA system to the pilots. (administrative/enginerering)
- The MCAS system was not designed with much thought put into its ergonomics or the consequences of its failure. (engineering/behavioral)
- The MCAS system and its effects on the airplane's flight characteristics was poorly documented. (administrative)
- The Boeing lobbyists managed to get simulator conversion training waived when it really should have been required. (administrative/behavioral)
- The training that was given, in the case of Lion Air at least, was probably insufficient in the first place. (behavioral)

Change any one of those factors and things probably would have been different. The people blaming the pilots for not disconnecting the trim are focusing on the "mitigate" step in the image above, where the error has already happened and it's now up to the pilot to correct it in the moment. It's true that that could have saved the planes; there were indeed dozens of cases of probably MCAS-related "runaway trim" with the 737 MAX before the two crashes, where the pilots disconnected it in time and flew the rest of the flight uneventfully. But focusing on mitigation ignores all the other factors that had to line up to let it get that far.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 17, 2020

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PT6A posted:

Let's not go too far. MCAS was definitely a problem, but computerization is essential in being able to run a huge and complex system like a modern transport aircraft with a flight crew of two, and have a decent chance of not dying if one pilot is incapacitated. It is, in essence, a flight control in its own right at this point, and a faulty system like MCAS is no different from a poorly engineered mechanical system that has an obvious and severe failure mode.

Yeah, for sure, I was being flip. Not implying we need to ditch computerization, but if your design involves literally a "point it at the ground" computer you have hosed up.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I want to be able to fly a 737 with an Xbox controller.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Charles posted:

I want to be able to fly a 737 with an Xbox controller.

join the navy, become a submariner.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Yeah, for sure, I was being flip. Not implying we need to ditch computerization, but if your design involves literally a "point it at the ground" computer you have hosed up.

You're at the same point in your flight training as me; you should know that an airplane's fundamental layout is designed to make "point it at the ground" (gently) the stable default state :eng101:

Anti-stall computers are a great invention. I would agree that the specific implementation of MCAS is bad, of course.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

PT6A posted:

On a related note, one of our ULCCs had another incident in Mexico where a flight got cancelled and they handled it in an ultra-low-cost manner and now everyone is pissed. Where do these people think the ultra-low-cost comes from?
Just read that too. I understand people wanting to save money but it I wouldn't fly one of those ULCC unless I had to, especially on a flight out of country or more than a couple hours.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SeaborneClink posted:

"Stop pissing, Yuri. Give me an Elite Series 2 and a map and I'll fly the Alps in a plane with no windows."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

slidebite posted:

Just read that too. I understand people wanting to save money but it I wouldn't fly one of those ULCC unless I had to, especially on a flight out of country or more than a couple hours.

ULCCs open up the possibility of flying anywhere to a huge number of Americans.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, if you have three sensors and one is known to be failed, then when your two remaining ones disagree you're stuck. Obviously you need four sensors so that you can put one out of service and still vote with the remaining three.

If you have 2 that disagree you have to turn off the system that uses it for decision making.

For example on an airbus if these instruments were disagreeing it would kick over to an alternate law mode and automation would be off. Then you’d only crash if one of the pilots command full nose up or full nose down, which surely would never... oh

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Meanwhile, over yon'

quote:

COMAC engineers miscalculated the forces that would be placed on the plane’s twin engines in flight - known in the industry as loads - and sent inaccurate data to the engine manufacturer, CFM International, four people familiar with the matter told Reuters
China's bid to challenge Boeing and Airbus falters

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sagebrush posted:

This is a standard model for understanding process risk. Engineering controls attempt to prevent the risks by engineering them out of existence. Administrative controls prohibit actions or decisions that increase the risk. Behavioral controls teach the user how to operate the system safely and correctly. When an error gets through all of those, it becomes an incident, and then you have physical barriers (failsafes, shields, etc) that try to stop the damage. If those too fail, you have a catastrophe.

In this case no single factor was entirely responsible for crashes, and changing any one would be enough to prevent them.

- The plane was designed with less than optimal handling characteristics in the first place. (engineering)
- There was no standard warning system to indicate a failure in the AoA system to the pilots. (administrative/enginerering)
- The MCAS system was not designed with much thought put into its ergonomics or the consequences of its failure. (engineering/behavioral)
- The MCAS system and its effects on the airplane's flight characteristics was poorly documented. (administrative)
- The Boeing lobbyists managed to get simulator conversion training waived when it really should have been required. (administrative/behavioral)
- The training that was given, in the case of Lion Air at least, was probably insufficient in the first place. (behavioral)

Change any one of those factors and things probably would have been different. The people blaming the pilots for not disconnecting the trim are focusing on the "mitigate" step in the image above, where the error has already happened and it's now up to the pilot to correct it in the moment. It's true that that could have saved the planes; there were indeed dozens of cases of probably MCAS-related "runaway trim" with the 737 MAX before the two crashes, where the pilots disconnected it in time and flew the rest of the flight uneventfully. But focusing on mitigation ignores all the other factors that had to line up to let it get that far.

10/10 post :golfclap:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Just throw some coins in em

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

The only reason this doesn’t happen in north America is that locusts were inadvertently eradicated there.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Came back from a break a little while ago and one sector was completely down the shitter with ufo reports. "A string of like 16 lights" getting reported by 15 aircraft. I walk back out to find out where the starlink satellites are. It's them. Thanks Elon.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fknlo posted:

Came back from a break a little while ago and one sector was completely down the shitter with ufo reports. "A string of like 16 lights" getting reported by 15 aircraft. I walk back out to find out where the starlink satellites are. It's them. Thanks Elon.

Those things are pretty hard to miss once its pointed out.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ULCCs open up the possibility of flying anywhere to a huge number of Americans.

I agree in principle, but it's always a tradeoff. It probably wouldn't be a problem if you flew to some place in Canada or the US which is reasonably safe and you can easily manage a disruption. Less so when it's Cancun, and there's a bunch of shady poo poo and you don't speak the language.

I mean, fly them if you want, but be ready and able to eat the consequences when something goes wrong. It's a great option for visiting family or something like that, less so for visiting a foreign country you obviously don't feel at all comfortable in. There's only so much you can possibly cut in flight, the rest of the savings come from being perfectly willing to leave you exactly as far up poo poo creek as legally allowed when things go awry.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sagebrush posted:

This is a great post, I'd like to address MCAS based on engineering principles alone as a safety system.

Redundancy should be baked into any life safety system anywhere, in my field how we address this is having either 2/3, or more commonly 3/4 redundancy.

Basically, let's say you have a minimum of 3 sensors, if 1/3 sensors trip a "bad" value (we're assuming one sensor is hosed from the start, in this case stuck at 0⁰ AoA, so 2/3 is all that's required to trip), a warning is displayed, giving the operator a chance to cut the bad value out of the loop and engaging 1/2 redundancy, this means if one of the remaining sensors registers a "bad" value (in this case an AoA approaching stall) the automatic safety feature actuates, again it sounds a warning concurrent with the actuation, giving the operator the ability to cut out the remaining bad value, along with the lone operational sensor, returning the safety feature (trim) to a default value (whatever it normally is during level flight) disengaging any automatic override and returning control to the operator, this shoul be controlling trim with the electric actuators as the normal method, with manual control as a backup.

Inherent in this system is a minimum of two independent computing systems, i.e. each sensor has one set of mechanical linkages and two electronic paths, this allows the operator to select away from a faulted electronic signal path.

Automatic safety features are critical to any modern system that is vital to maintaining human life, old-school full manual controls are too prone to operator error, and too slow, it's been born out time and time gain that automatic safety's beat out human responses 9 times out of 10, but this requires a properly designed system, and a safety system that's not covering for an inherent design flaw, as Sagebrush said. Anyone in a field of engineering critical to human life can tell you how the "swiss cheese model" (what Sagebrush posted) or "pyramid model" (wide base of redundancy leads to stability) are essential to preventing failure.

Operator training and control is the first layer of blocks in the pyramid, and the last piece of swiss cheese in the diagram, which is why it's unacceptable for Boeing to not provide training on their new poorly engineered system.

SeaborneClink posted:

In case anyone wondering he's not kidding, XBOX controllers are not used to drive submarines, but are used for a variety of critical functions onboard, because they're more reliable and cheaper than bespoke controllers and talk güd with windows computers.

The joysticks used to drive a modern submarine are like $50,000.