Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pick posted:

Yeah you couldn't have imagined a nastier bomb to drop at the time. Also not fake since it was sourced so people couldn't pretend it was faux shitstirring. Among other things I think the person came out after already going to prison or something? Huge mess.

The thread was a general fabgoon trans discussion thread, someone came in to post a memoriam/opinion piece about Jane doe, a MTF transwoman who commited suicide in jail.

There was evidence and issues that jane doe had been misgendered and harassed in jail, that her gender identiy was ignored and in general she had a rough time.

It was a screed about the trauma inflicted on trans people in the prison system and how it is contributing to the problem.

Someone then found out Jane doe was a convicted child rapist who recorded herself raping her young child child on multiple occasions. The thread then spilt into 2 distinct camps the goons who went "yeah, convicted pedophile rapist, but can we focus on how she was misgendered" and the others who said "gently caress that person they deserved every bad thing that happened to them"

It got pretty messy when camp 1 started accusing camp 2 of trans-hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There were people refusing to address her as "she" on the basis that someone that vile deserved no respect whatsoever, gender or otherwise, and that the pushes to respect chosen pronouns seems like a defense of a sexuality that severely victimizes a child rather than the notion of respecting pronouns as a matter of conduct irrespective of the crimes. Which wasn't the case, but it was literally the worst possible use case to explore that idea since that particular person was the worst sort of human being. People are much more amenable to the idea of respecting pronouns as a matter of course nowadays, but that was a hell of a thread at the time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Its the same kind of thing as not attacking someone for their weight just because they're a crap person (eg Chris Christie). They're discrete matters but it's a consistent issue that they don't stay discrete when a person appears to be open for attack. However, I am not going to put much effort in defending Chris Christie.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

It was a screed about the trauma inflicted on trans people in the prison system and how it is contributing to the problem.

If it had just been that it probably wouldn't have blown up quite as much. But it was also a paean to said child rapist, talked about how her strength was an inspiration and generally said a lot more nice things about a child molester than is considered appropriate.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

All this and no links? I wanna see where the penny drops.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Thanks to some x-treme forums archaeology by QCS, the long lost Duke Nukem Forever release thread has been unburied and goldmined.

Flipping through this thread and it just keeps giving: one of the shittier defenders of the game is the guy who would go on to create Ion Fury, a throwback Duke Nukem style FPS that came out last year and got in a lot of trouble for being publicly transphobic and then doubling down as a free speech warrior over it. The whole thread is an amazing artifact and I'm glad it exists again because it's like a perfect split between the reasonable people and the gamers who would spend the next decade flaming out and becoming chuds.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

DemoneeHo posted:

Does anyone else remember a thread where OP's roommate and his girlfriend were openly into bdsm to the point where they had a human sized cage in the living room, and everyone else was trying to watch TV while the girlfriend sat silently in the cage?
They were watching the Hitler movie, if I recall

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Flipping through this thread and it just keeps giving: one of the shittier defenders of the game is the guy who would go on to create Ion Fury, a throwback Duke Nukem style FPS that came out last year and got in a lot of trouble for being publicly transphobic and then doubling down as a free speech warrior over it. The whole thread is an amazing artifact and I'm glad it exists again because it's like a perfect split between the reasonable people and the gamers who would spend the next decade flaming out and becoming chuds.

ugh

I didn't realize that

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Inceltown posted:

It's probably still there because it's load bearing cancer.

I've been seeing these "load bearing" jokes a fair bit recently, but no idea what they're referring to. My thought is like a Groverhaus/beatmstrj kinda colossal DIY fuckup, that I just missed like a dumbass, but it's always been too recently for it to be either of those two specifically.

Maybe I'm just dense and in this case the joke is simply "radium's code is shite" though. :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dragonatrix posted:

I've been seeing these "load bearing" jokes a fair bit recently, but no idea what they're referring to. My thought is like a Groverhaus/beatmstrj kinda colossal DIY fuckup, that I just missed like a dumbass.

Radiums code has "f*****" in it And when Jeffrey tried to remove it, it made it impossible to log into your account.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

I've been seeing these "load bearing" jokes a fair bit recently, but no idea what they're referring to. My thought is like a Groverhaus/beatmstrj kinda colossal DIY fuckup, that I just missed like a dumbass, but it's always been too recently for it to be either of those two specifically.

Maybe I'm just dense and in this case the joke is simply "radium's code is shite" though. :v:

Because if you try to get rid of them something in radium's code will critically gently caress up and take down the forums again.

I feel like this has happened more than once.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DemoneeHo posted:

Does anyone else remember a thread where OP's roommate and his girlfriend were openly into bdsm to the point where they had a human sized cage in the living room, and everyone else was trying to watch TV while the girlfriend sat silently in the cage?

I skimmed through the goldmine and didn't see it, so i might be confusing it with a reddit relationships post.

I read this much and thought it was going to be the story where the OP asked in the thread "when should I get worried about my roommate being maybe dead?" And then a follow-up post about the roommate being dead

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Moon Slayer posted:

I asked this a couple times in the old sagas thread and only a few people vaguely remembered it, but maybe I'll have more luck in the new sagas thread!

Many years ago there was a thread, I'm 90% sure in GBS version 1, about someone teaching in rural China, and somehow he was doing an assignment where the students had to write questions that they had for LGBT people, and he posted those questions in the thread. The questions were about what you would expect from a rural conservative society with no sex education and only second- or third-hand experience with openly gay people, stuff like "why did you choose to like men" or "aren't your parents angry you won't give them grandkids" or "I read that gay people get AIDS, aren't you worried about AIDS?" Innocently ignorant stuff. This being the bad old days of GBS there were plenty of earnest replies but there was also a very vocal minority posting "hey OP, give this to your students: 'dear student, how loving dare you. How can you be so stupid, it's not our job to educate you ...'" I think the thread was closed or gassed because it devolved into a slap fight.
I think there might have been a couple of these threads. At least one was in A/T.

Iirc like 75% of the answers were positive, but of the anger there was, I think the focus of the irritation was less "gently caress your students" and more "why are you making us write this instead of just telling them we don't all have AIDS?"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Xarbala posted:

Because if you try to get rid of them something in radium's code will critically gently caress up and take down the forums again.

I feel like this has happened more than once.

It's happened dozens of times over this website's history. It's a testament to JEFF's coding prowess that he has been able to do more in a few months than our last coders like ZDR did in years.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

Radiums code has "f*****" in it And when Jeffrey tried to remove it, it made it impossible to log into your account.
I want to say that it was even user-facing, I think that it would call you "unregistered f*****" if you tried to view certain pages without logging in.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Pick posted:

...Of all the things I was expecting, that definitely wasn't on the list.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

I read this much and thought it was going to be the story where the OP asked in the thread "when should I get worried about my roommate being maybe dead?" And then a follow-up post about the roommate being dead
There was a goon whose girlfriend had been passed out for thirty hours on Phenazapam and he was like "I mean, she woke up a little twelve hours ago and I gave her some water" while he was liveposting during a football game in another thread.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dragonatrix posted:

No there literally was a slur in the code that hosed up the website when it was replaced. It was just a few weeks ago that this was discovered as we're finally going through the decades old cobwebs of this place and taking out the slurs and various "this was funny in 2003" stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dragonatrix posted:

I've taken it as just a general "this is important" like how if you take out a load bearing wall your house can cave in

Or if you destroy Mother Bain in Metroid Zebes explodes

Or if you remove slurs from the forum code you can't log in

Load bearing

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I think it comes from Groverhaus, I think one of the many wonders of the house was a stretch of load bearing drywall?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

barbecue at the folks posted:

I think it comes from Groverhaus, I think one of the many wonders of the house was a stretch of load bearing drywall?

It specifically wasn't load bearing

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

barbecue at the folks posted:

In the Groverhaus thread, someone made a joke post that used the phrase and it has gained meme-status here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxGN8UhpVo&t=170s

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 17, 2020

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Len posted:

It specifically wasn't load bearing

LIES!!!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

link? :randpop:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

There was never load-bearing drywall in Groverhaus it was a comedic exaggeration that everyone thought wasn't a joke because the rest of that house was so ridiculous

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

It was in one of the ladygoon/feminism chat threads years and years ago

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The term "load-bearing <whatever>" predates groverhaus by like 20 years or more, it's a common expression in construction or DIY circles. For example, the Simpsons episode where they build Flanders a new house - there's a load-bearing Krusty the Klown poster. It generally denotes crappy construction of any variety, but is often used to specifically note actual cases where someone has hosed Up Badly in creating something such that a part that ought to be safely removable, isn't. This is why it's penetrated the software development lexicon as well; "Load bearing code" is an oldish term in the industry too.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had a load bearing Speed 2 VHS holding up the back of the lower shelf of a bookcase one. It was originally I'm Gonna Git You, Sucka, then we remembered we liked and watched that movie

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://youtu.be/QRVExJZKIT8

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Schmeichy posted:

It was in one of the ladygoon/feminism chat threads years and years ago

I'm gonna say about 2014

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

purple death ray posted:

This is common when you're full of radium.

:classiclol:
:golfclap:

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

slinkimalinki posted:

I'm gonna say about 2014

good memory

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585136&userid=109351#post431520391

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Inceltown posted:

It's probably still there because it's load bearing cancer.

Makes me wonder if the code for hellbanning is still there or if it was long enough ago that it's one of the broken things that radium actually removed

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

Who knew that Radium was the same guy who built TempleOS?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Booourns posted:

Makes me wonder if the code for hellbanning is still there or if it was long enough ago that it's one of the broken things that radium actually removed

The admins have a button to delete posts that they can't use or have removed because it breaks things in horrible ways.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Who knew that Radium was the same guy who built TempleOS?

That’s not really fair, TempleOS guy was a hardcore schizophrenic who no-poo poo thought slurs were the only way he wouldn’t be spied on. By all accounts he wasn’t actually a hateful dude, just incredibly mentally ill.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

After seeing that dead guy post I just realized avashlom has been permabanned for two years now. My how time flys

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sometimes I can still hear her voice...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I swear she came back briefly more recently than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I swear she came back briefly more recently than that?

She lives on in all of our hearts