Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/BBCAMERICA/status/1217986066852012032

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm sorry, DISCWORLD???

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, they've cast Anna Chancellor as Vetinari, which is just inspired IMO.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

Anyone seen Netflix's Messiah?

This review I read just savages it.
Spoiler warning.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-mysteries/amp/
I tried watching the pilot, fell asleep halfway through, and haven’t felt the need to revisit it.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, they've cast Anna Chancellor as Vetinari, which is just inspired IMO.

Marama Corlett is also a good choice for Angua. And I don't know the guy who plays Vimes, but he looks spot-on for the part on that photo.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Outsider is making me think that there's no reason to adapt King to film (Ok, Dr Sleep was way better than it has any right to be) but to TV instead. Not his novels, though, the man has so many goddamn insanely good short stories you could make a 60 episode show called Skeleton Crew or whatever that just adapts his best shorts into hourlong episodes. You have things like the Jaunt, Survivor Type, Everything's Eventual, Man in the Black Suit, All That You Love Will Be Carried away, and so on. The longer novella type stuff? Make it a two-parter.Hell, do a Bachman book or two.

It's been attempted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmares_%26_Dreamscapes:_From_the_Stories_of_Stephen_King

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Man, I haven't thought of this in a while. I remember liking Umney's Last Case and Battleground, and thinking Ron Livingstone was good in End of the Whole Mess, but everything else being a writeoff.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
TBH that Discworld stuff looks pretty dire.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Watched the Outsider eps already released and this show kicks rear end. I don't know that I've ever seen Ben Mendelsohn play a good guy before

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Megazver posted:

TBH that Discworld stuff looks pretty dire.

I certainly was expecting a more traditional fantasy aesthetic than... that. I don't think it looks bad in a vacuum, but it implies a tonal shift that feels wrong for the material.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Watched the Outsider eps already released and this show kicks rear end. I don't know that I've ever seen Ben Mendelsohn play a good guy before

Uh, Captain Marvel.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Uh, Captain Marvel.

Ha, good point.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I need this so bad

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I haven't gotten around to watching Carnival Row, but all the adverts that Twitch showed me makes me think that The Watch's pre-production team took a lot of notes from CR's production team.

Discworld has a load of anachronisms, I could see gas lights being a thing, and individual premises having an imp power a crude electromagnet to power some shop lights, but electric lamps are a bit too out of place, and I'm not keen on making Sybil Ramkin conventionally attractive (young, thin, etc) and perhaps there's something to unpack regarding the casting of Carcer.

Perhaps they're going for a "Vimes wants revenge for Carcer killing John Keel sometime in the past", and since Keel, Vimes' mentor, is also portrayed by a black man it isn't as bad as a situation.

Tudor/Elizabethian With Knobs On is what I expect from Discworld, not this Victorian stuff.

My greatest dislike is how Vimes wears a badge like every cop in every American cop movie set somewhere in the vicinity of California wears their badge. It looks ridiculous on him, even if it's short hand for a thick audience of what they ought to expect from him.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Open Source Idiom posted:

they cancelled ... The Son

TIL. Dammit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Little America on Apple TV+ is really goddamn good.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

What does 'legalized crime' even mean?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gentlemen it is a new century, and we must update our new division to reflect that

https://twitter.com/adambvary/status/1218216711154847744

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Let's just go ahead and draw a curtain over this "giving Fox News billions of dollars" issue and never talk about it again.

ashpanash posted:

Have you been following the impeachment coverage?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

feedmyleg posted:

Have you been following the impeachment coverage?

There's a difference between 'ignored' and 'legalized'

Edit:

I guess you could argue that technically, the legal marijuana industry in the us is a 'legalized crime.'

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ashpanash posted:

Exactly what it sounds like. The Assassin's Guild can legally kill people, the Thieves Guild can legally rob people, and lawyers exist.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope the Discworld show is good but I’m not looking forward to legions of insufferable Discworld fans coming into the forum

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ashpanash posted:

License to kill? :shrug:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I signed up for Hulu when they were doing their $2/month Black Friday deal and dear, sweet Jesus, I love Letterkenny.

...but am I wrong in being at the point where I'm hoping there's an episode where the Skids get hit by Riley and Jonesy in their Jeep? Jesus gently caress, they can be grating.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The core premise of the first Watch novel is that the Watch is basically obsolete because Vetinari, the Patrician of Ankh-Morpork, (pretty correctly) surmised that the only way to deal with all the loving crime was to effectively legalize it through the Guilds. The Thieves' Guild runs all the thievery (though you can pay them a fee to not get robbed). the Assassins' Guild runs all the murder, etc. Any thievery or assassination done by non-guild members is strictly punished by the Guilds.

Alternatively:

https://twitter.com/thomas_violence/status/473334014061707265?lang=en

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The Watch books are cool and I would be ecstatic if they ever did Feet of Clay. WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN :cry:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

I hope the Discworld show is good but I’m not looking forward to legions of insufferable Discworld fans coming into the forum

Can't be worse than the insufferable GoT fans

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rarity posted:

Can't be worse than the insufferable GoT fans

Discworld fans: hold our collective beers

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Captain Invictus posted:

Fair enough. I do hope it's something along the lines of this fan-made cartoon TAZ intro-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3k6uxJ6yYs

Or something relatively similar, but suitably cartoony at least.

I enjoyed it at the time but them continuously mining the one good campaign they did as if its an actual epic story worthy of being lovingly adapted across multiple media formats and not some guys telling jokes as they mash pop culture up with D&D and getting a little too into it is only more depressing considering how bad every campaign they've done since then has been. Without the lowered expectations of being a dumb comedy show by guys who never played the game before they wouldn't have been able to sneak actual pathos into it under everyone's defenses and now that they're actively trying to craft more epic storylines they never do actual jokes anymore and instead the DM just monologues exposition for most of the show.

I can't begrudge them being so enamoured with the idea of creating their own original fiction when all the rest of their extended family content mill is just riffing on and reacting to other things but they really can't put that lightning back in the bottle.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Circle is like a tacky SyFy adaptation of Neal Stephenson writing a short story intended to parody a William Gibson short story, only it's real and now I hate everything lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

There are a shitload of Discworld fans here already, just not really the bad kind. Tbh, at least in America, i've never really encountered the bad kind of Discworld fan.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only people I've met who have even read Discworld are turbonerds, but non of them have been particularly maladjusted in the way I assume super fans of the books are.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Everybody I know who reads discworld is super chill

But its probably less obscure in the UK and you maybe run into more weirdos there?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

But its probably less obscure in the UK and you maybe run into more weirdos there?

I think that's part of it. Same with Harry potter, as bad as American Harry potter fans are, holy poo poo have you seen the British fans lol

Edit: and Dr who, and Sherlock

Really British people are just the worst

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Holy loving poo poo is anyone watching evil? cause the ending to the latest episode went from 3 to 11 balls to wall insane, depending on your interpretation of things.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

This is exactly it. Just like, oh, Pratchett is the most genius writer ever because he’s wry, said hundreds of pretentious men with beards

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Holy loving poo poo is anyone watching evil? cause the ending to the latest episode went from 3 to 11 balls to wall insane, depending on your interpretation of things.

It's definitely an uneven show overall but yeah their willingness to go full bonkers is what keeps me watching.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Director Krennick did nothing wrong.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

zoux posted:

Captain Marvel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gonz posted:

Captain Marvel

AHEM

Rhyno posted:

Uh, Captain Marvel.