Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

Who even holds the Digimon license in NA anyways

It was a Saban thing back in the day but I don't think they held the rights to anything recent

The Saban 2.0 that ran Power Rangers in the HD era had a license for Xros Wars, but I think the kit ‘n’ kaboodle is actually owned by Bandai and they just dole out projects to licensors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I have thoughts about the new show: mostly that I’m going to watch it

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I liked Appmon and wish the series could keep going in new directions, but also Digimon Adventure was my first anime and I wanna see it made super pretty.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This isn’t a remake. Like WtW said, it’s set in the real world.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah how good this new version is I think heavily dependent on how much they're willing to change things around from the original

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’m assuming the characters will be very static and have little to no growth. It will also be very kids showy and not in a way that makes it endearing.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Imagine if they made a show like the games where the protagonists are constantly evolving and devolving multiple digimon to get several Mega level partners to faceroll every enemy they encounter.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

Imagine if they made a show like the games where the protagonists are constantly evolving and devolving multiple digimon to get several Mega level partners to faceroll every enemy they encounter.

That would be amazing

Something I thought of

So in the season 2 finale, everyone everywhere has a Digimon. Why not do a series set in that world? A world where EVERYONE has a Digimon, and how it's changed everything? Would it be a bit Pokemon-y? Sure! But you could do more with it. Imagine Devimon running for government. Imagine gang wars between mobsters and Yakuza with Digimon partners.

We know Ken is a Private Investigator with Stingmon as his partner

Show Tai kicking some other country's rear end with WarGreymon

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Burkion posted:

Show Tai kicking some other country's rear end with WarGreymon

Tai ends up in the UN, he would never!

Marcus, on the other hand...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

Imagine gang wars between mobsters and Yakuza with Digimon partners.

Wasn't that the original concept for Savers?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ethiser posted:

I’m assuming the characters will be very static and have little to no growth. It will also be very kids showy and not in a way that makes it endearing.
Ah, the anti-Digimon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, from the sound of it (them being in 5th grade and "solving problems in the real world caused by digimon") it sounds like it'll be more like a vague reboot follow up to Adventure where they have episodic problems. Maybe a "big" plot will happen, but it'll be wholly original rahter than tying up whatever obscure thing us older fans would get hyped about.

I wouldn't be too against this, but we are just coming off the seventh loving Adventure movie. Something I always appreciated about Digimon is that it kept changing, so it sucks seeing it tread back like this. At least the videogames got us.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Unrelated

How many of us are also in the Kingdom Hearts thread now

How much goddamn overlap do these properties have

Alchem
Oct 28, 2007

I have to find her!
Omnimon got norted.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

Unrelated

I don't follow the KH thread but I am a big KH and Digimon fan.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's almost too bad

Army up above has been running through all of the games since August of last year and it's been a ride

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I don't go to the KH thread either, but I absolutely wrote a ton of Kingdom Hearts and Digimon fanfic as a kid and still love both series.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

So Adventure by way of Tamers and also Appmon and maybe some Savers-ish stuff in there? I mean I'm a lifer so I'll watch it, and I'm not completely opposed to a series that plays like the greatest hits of the good seasons but...

On one hand unless this upcoming movie hits it out of the park it's worth remembering there's been exactly 1 (One) iteration of Adventure that was all the way good.

On the other hand if the information is correct it's a hard reboot with a totally different premise and focus then that distance might give enough space to make it new and different despite being Adventure sqrt(1)

On the other other hand if they're going this far away from the original pitch that Adventure is only there to look good on the marquee that suggests someone doesn't have a lot of faith in either the series or the franchise.

On the other other other hand this is going to be season 8 and in Digimon an even number is at least as bad a sign as being a Leomon.

Basically I don't think Adventure Psi has very good omens, but I have been surprised before and I'm more than willing to be surprised again.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Burkion posted:

Unrelated

The 13 Kingdom Hearts users and the 7 DigiDestined

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Don't think I've posted in either, but I follow both.

Honestly Adventure Psi almost has me wondering if (Jojo manga spoilers) Last Evolution is going to end Made in Heaven style, and Psi's going to end up being not just a reboot but an in-setting reboot.

Though considering the plot of Tri literally involved a reboot that'd be one weird decision.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Would honestly probably be for the best considering Tri was a mess and basically no one likes the 02 epilogue either

Also personally I'd love it for a future series to better explore the variability of Digimon evolution*, like the protagonist Digimon all have V-Pet style branching evolution trees, it's basically completely unexplored in the franchise outside of 02 to an extent

*Xros Wars and Appmon don't count in this regard since they use hugely different systems from the other four Anime universes(which while all having their own tweaks still roughly follow the same basic rules at heart)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Bee posted:

Don't think I've posted in either, but I follow both.

Honestly Adventure Psi almost has me wondering if (Jojo manga spoilers) Last Evolution is going to end Made in Heaven style, and Psi's going to end up being not just a reboot but an in-setting reboot.

Though considering the plot of Tri literally involved a reboot that'd be one weird decision.

That's not happening. They're still setting up the 02 epilogue, the few images we have of Last Evolution include one of Yamato studying aerospace engineering which would be completely out of place if it wasn't setting up for his eventual career as an astronaut.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1218536813159231490

"With the Will posted:

A few bits until we have full translations. It mentions Agumon waiting for Taichi.

A quick read of the plot description does seem to say the new show is happening 'now' in 2020, talking about large scale networks in Tokyo, the digital world, etc.

A few key details (assuming I'm reading them correctly), is how Taichi stayed home alone to prepare to go to summer camp that weekend, but can't wait for Hikari any longer to go to Shibuya to do something. He seemingly hurrys there, and while helping a woman gets on a train car and it goes to the digital world and they meet their partner Digimon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Odd title, so how exactly do you pronounce “:”?

As for the show itself, I guess there's still a chance this could turn out decently and it's nice to finally get a new TV show after all these years but literally all Toei's done on the anime side of things since Appmon ended is revisit Adventure. I have to imagine that even the most diehard of fans would start to get bored of that after a while.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 18, 2020

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I am opposed to nostalgia grabbing by continually rebooting the first part of a franchise in general, but this could be okay.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's not happening. They're still setting up the 02 epilogue, the few images we have of Last Evolution include one of Yamato studying aerospace engineering which would be completely out of place if it wasn't setting up for his eventual career as an astronaut.

They are never going to retcon out the epilogue, even I wish they would. That's just not likely, they'd prefer to just... trying and make the square peg fit in the round hole even though people are still going to go "That's bullshit."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

They are never going to retcon out the epilogue, even I wish they would. That's just not likely, they'd prefer to just... trying and make the square peg fit in the round hole even though people are still going to go "That's bullshit."

Well, they have now freed themselves of the board

The Epilogue sure is canon to Digimon Adventure!

But now we're talking about Digimon Adventure:!

I don't know how to feel about this. If this is going to be a back to basics retelling of adventure but with new everything, I really wish we could have just gotten a new cast instead. I'd love for a back to basics, no gimmicks, Digimon series that isn't about the Adventure crew. Because this isn't the Adventure crew- this is the Ultimate Universe Adventure crew. The MCU ones.

Digimon wasn't always immune to this- there have basically been two Tais forever in Digimon lore- but one nice thing about Japanese media used to be that it was free of some of the more annoying aspects of Western media. You didn't have properties that never ended, or constantly reused the same set up and main characters as always. But this has been changing as the years go by, more and more remakes and reboots are successful, and Digimon has apparently taken notice of Transformers and how they keep their evergreen cast, and Power Rangers as of late as well, and decided to follow that route.

I'll give it a shot since it seems like it has potential and won't be the episodic mess we were afraid of yesterday. The animation models look decent, even if I have no idea what kind of top Sora is wearing there. We'll see how the animation is, though they'd have to try real hard to be worse than the original on that front, but trying to capture the lightning in a bottle that the characters and adventure of the original was again...well let's see what happens.

It can't be the worst thing that comes around this franchise

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wonder if this means some of the old VAs will be brought back or if they’ll just continue to stick with the cast from the recent movies.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Burkion posted:

I'll give it a shot since it seems like it has potential and won't be the episodic mess we were afraid of yesterday.
Same. I'm not opposed to it, in principle. The start of a "get to the heart of what made it great" reboot can be pretty good (see: Ultimate Spider-Man), as long as the writers actually know what it is they want to recreate. Hopefully, they do.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Admittedly it would be pretty funny if they retconned the epilogue but only to take out all the Digimon. Just Matt, on mars, alone.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

I wonder if this means some of the old VAs will be brought back or if they’ll just continue to stick with the cast from the recent movies.

I'm guessing that every original Adventure VA but Mizutani Yuko (RIP) and Konishi Hiroko (retired) will come back to reprise their roles. The VA changes in Tri were because they are now older teenagers so having every kid voiced by women would be rather out of place, but the opposite would happen here with the Tri VAs.

PMush Perfect posted:

Same. I'm not opposed to it, in principle. The start of a "get to the heart of what made it great" reboot can be pretty good (see: Ultimate Spider-Man), as long as the writers actually know what it is they want to recreate. Hopefully, they do.

I find it really hard to believe they do after every continuation of Adventure failed to get what made Adventure enjoyable and were also some of the biggest messes in the franchise. That this is very blatantly moved by nothing but seeking nostalgia money doesn't help, especially after Appmon made a genuine attempt to break free from Adventure's rules and do its own thing and it was amazing for it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TheHan posted:

Admittedly it would be pretty funny if they retconned the epilogue but only to take out all the Digimon. Just Matt, on mars, alone.

"I prefer the stillness here. I am tired of Earth. These people. I’m tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm guessing that every original Adventure VA but Mizutani Yuko (RIP) and Konishi Hiroko (retired) will come back to reprise their roles.

Toshiko Fujita died about a year ago, as well.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 18, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Craptacular! posted:

Toshiko Fujita died about a year ago, as well.

I forgot about her. That's actually a pretty big one to replace since that's, you know, the main character of the show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I forgot about her. That's actually a pretty big one to replace since that's, you know, the main character of the show.

Taichi was voiced by Megumi Han in a PSP game from a while back so it’s possible that she may wind up reprising the role in this series as well.

Edit: Nevermind, that was Takeru/TK

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Translated plot summary for Digimon Adventure Colon (or however you’re supposed to say the name of the new series):

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Interesting

So either everyone only meets in the Digital World, or they're all on that train car. And this does prove that Tai will end up stuck in the digital world like the original. Okay

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's gonna be hosed up when the dub for this isn't as perfectly irreverent as the original was.

Also like half the cast doesn't do non-union stuff anymore so.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Funky Valentine posted:

It's gonna be hosed up when the dub for this isn't as perfectly irreverent as the original was.

Also like half the cast doesn't do non-union stuff anymore so.

We don't even know who'd get the license at this point

If there's going to be one thing I'm going to miss from the original dub, its how much character the Digimon were given that they didn't have in the original. Just little gags and jokes that were added in that gave them flavor.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If there's no plethora of secondary Digimon who are celebrity impersonations, then what is the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I for one am perfectly happy with the idea that the dub will more likely be things like accurate, and not prone to making up poo poo that doesn’t exist or fit the characters.