Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I went asking about a chill dog that's easy to take care of in 2011 and a greyhound was recommended. Best decision I ever made. Abby is 11 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

actionjackson posted:

I went asking about a chill dog that's easy to take care of in 2011 and a greyhound was recommended. Best decision I ever made. Abby is 11 now.

The link to your proof seems to be tragically missing. I'm sure it's just a simple oversight and will be resolved with all due taste.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that's true, here is some evidence

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

actionjackson posted:

that's true, here is some evidence

Yisssssssss. So lanky

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Took mine to work the other day.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

:stwoon:

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

:swoon: such a happy pup!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
Everyone meet Koda the currently tiny big ol doggo I'm picking up from the shelter tomorrow.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

Griffball posted:

Everyone meet Koda the currently tiny big ol doggo I'm picking up from the shelter tomorrow.

I wuv him

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I would die for Koda

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Stopping by to throw my support for Koda

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

I love Koda.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:3: She'll be 12 on January 17th if she makes it. She's on the first page of this thread. She was just 3 years old back then.

My good girl. I got her the biggest drat worm I could find.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:3: She'll be 12 on January 17th if she makes it. She's on the first page of this thread. She was just 3 years old back then.

My good girl. I got her the biggest drat worm I could find.

She seems like the goodest girl and I'm glad this thread is part of her legacy. I hope she likes yon nidhoggr.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Rough housing with a blanket over her head is one of her favourite games...here she got her favourite frisbee as well. (One of the floppy kong ones..she's had since she was 4 months old.)

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 13, 2019

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Rough housing with a blanket over her head is one of her favourite games...here she got her favourite frisbee as well. (One of the floppy kong ones..she's had since she was 4 months old.)

My mastiff rips any blankets I get within the week. She likes rope toys and tearing things in general... My poor st Bernard can't keep any blankets anymore because she rips them all up.

I've resorted to just buying yards of fabric to give them because any more expensive blankets aren't worth it.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
My wolfhound is afraid of blankets and hates being covered. Not sure how that started.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Morning yoga

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

gorgeous brindle scythetail snugglepuppin

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

In the five minute gaps when he isn't dangling from my wrist by his teeth, I love him too.

Kidding aside, he's settled in nicely, sleeping through the night, 3 weeks of puppy school where he was properly dominated by a GSD puppy during a bitey puppy play with no poor reactions, overall I think he's doing well, and going to grow into those paws.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Griffball posted:

In the five minute gaps when he isn't dangling from my wrist by his teeth, I love him too.

Kidding aside, he's settled in nicely, sleeping through the night, 3 weeks of puppy school where he was properly dominated by a GSD puppy during a bitey puppy play with no poor reactions, overall I think he's doing well, and going to grow into those paws.

Now I just have this mental image that he's dangling with his jaw around your wrist while you were typing that post.

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now I just have this mental image that he's dangling with his jaw around your wrist while you were typing that post.

This is not far from the truth. That staffy jaw strength is no joke.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

With big dogs comes big sticks...

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019
Hates water, loves sniffing around in the snow

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

ImplicitAssembler posted:

With big dogs comes big sticks...

Caption delivered.

:3:

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

It's -40 degrees Celsius with the windchill, but ol' Gil would rather be outside.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:3: I have a 12 year old great dane now.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Good for you! No sarcasm, that's awesome and I love to hear when danes get to lead long lives.

Our GD is 4.5 years old now and I've discovered that this is the age where everybody starts mentioning how short their life expectancy is whenever you tell them your dog's age. It's kind of hosed up to be honest. Like I know they have good intentions but it gets a little old to have this conversation:

Oh he's so handsome! How old is he?
He'll be 5 in May :-)
Oh, wow you better make the best of the next year or two huh?

Like jesus christ we don't need to discuss my dog's impending death. He's in as good of health as he can be (for a big dog with IBD) but I know his life expectancy is probably lower than most other dogs and probably many other danes. I already know that! Thanks for reminding me. Obviously instead of saying that I just let them know that yes many big dogs and pure breeds have shorter lives, but with improvements in veterinary care and practices and blah blah blah we can can hope for a fair bit more than 6 years of loving our dog, Egon.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Inspector 34 posted:

Good for you! No sarcasm, that's awesome and I love to hear when danes get to lead long lives.

Our GD is 4.5 years old now and I've discovered that this is the age where everybody starts mentioning how short their life expectancy is whenever you tell them your dog's age. It's kind of hosed up to be honest. Like I know they have good intentions but it gets a little old to have this conversation:

Like jesus christ we don't need to discuss my dog's impending death. He's in as good of health as he can be (for a big dog with IBD) but I know his life expectancy is probably lower than most other dogs and probably many other danes. I already know that! Thanks for reminding me. Obviously instead of saying that I just let them know that yes many big dogs and pure breeds have shorter lives, but with improvements in veterinary care and practices and blah blah blah we can can hope for a fair bit more than 6 years of loving our dog, Egon.

Archer just turned 9 a few months ago

Sure his hips are starting to bother him a little more and he doesn't get zoomies quite as often as he used to, but he's still a big goofy giant 115 pound good doggo whose going to live forever and I'll hear none of this short life span crap!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Inspector 34 posted:

People did this to Balen when he was 7. He was just 9 days away from his 12th birthday when he passed.

Amy, the one who turned 12 today (and is on the 1st page of this thread as a 3 year old), has been hearing that kind of stunned language for years now, too.

Given that Lu, the new dane/kid on the block, is 24% related to Amy (according to Embark), I hope to see similar numbers from him, too. Meri, the newfie, has grandparents and great-grandparents reaching 11-13 in his background. His grandparents are still robust in that age range, too.

mattfl posted:

Archer just turned 9 a few months ago

Sure his hips are starting to bother him a little more and he doesn't get zoomies quite as often as he used to, but he's still a big goofy giant 115 pound good doggo whose going to live forever and I'll hear none of this short life span crap!

Archer is going to be 90 when he goes. Because you keep him fit, trim, and awesome as gently caress.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hana's mom is 10 and going strong, her dad is 8, so at least I have high hopes.
Archer looks awesome!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Edison and Frankenstein

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's been about a year to the month since we lost Harry "Hairy" Harrison-- our 11 year-old Great Dane. He lived a long full life, and we were happy to have him. Dumb as a post and soft as banana pudding. Not a single day has gone by where I haven't missed him terribly.

In memoriam:

Fun fact-- he's the baby of the house in that final pic. All the tiny dogs were older than him.

Also don't @ me about the ears. They weren't my choice. My parents did it, I literally wasn't there when they made the choice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

He was clearly a Very Good Boy.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Also don't @ me about the ears. They weren't my choice. My parents did it, I literally wasn't there when they made the choice.

cropped ears are fine

He looks like he was a joy. And don't feel too weird about it. Balen's been dead almost 3 years and it still blows.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Tree Dude posted:

Edison and Frankenstein

I really, really love your name choices.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Edison is the dog, right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tree Dude posted:

Edison and Frankenstein

And why, pray, is your child not named Igor? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Take your Frank to work day

e: sorry the picture was giant before. posting on mobile is always a crapshoot for me

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 1, 2020