Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Super cool project and well executed. :golfclap:

Lawen fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Cross-posting from the woodworking thread because I'm very proud of these: I made some cutting boards from cherry, maple, and walnut for Christmas and never got around to posting them. They're my first attempt at cutting boards, and they were a big hit! I burned my initials in the end with an old soldering iron :)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hell yeah you should be proud, they look great. What's your finish of choice?

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Trabant posted:

Hell yeah you should be proud, they look great. What's your finish of choice?

Thanks! I put a couple coats of mineral oil on them and then finished with two coats of mineral oil + beeswax.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

We bought one of these puzzle's in one of our Japan trips. It's translucent, and is designed to be put in a window, or in a lighted frame. They were selling the frames as well from the same vendor, but they were quite expensive and didn't look very good.

After seeing the DIY Perks video on making realistic looking lighting panels, I really wanted to do something similar, rather than just putting it in a window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JrqH2oOTK4

The puzzle is an odd size, and it also needs to be deep enough to accommodate all the required layers, as well as the LED strips. Finding something off the shelf was probably going to be too hard so I made one. It wasn't too difficult to get all the mitres lined up, though I did have to use my shooting board to get them all exact.

Next was putting in all the layers. I'm not exactly sure what each one is called, but it went (in order from front to back, obviously)

- Puzzle
- diffuser sheet
- lens
- diffuser sheet
- thick acrylic with dots
- LED strip
- glossy card
- plywood backing

Overall the effect is quite convincing, and looks way better than just shoving some LEDs in the back. The colour temperature is probably slightly too cool, though the LEDs I got do have good CRI so it's quite pleasing to look at. Comparing the light coming out to the light coming in through the window, I think it's pretty similar, and you can see how it casts a very diffuse shadow/glow.

So don't throw out your old laptop/TV screens! Playing with the lens layers is fun, and there's a bunch of really useful materials in there.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That looks great and it's really cool!

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?
Got my hands on some nice birch 13-ply so I replaced my knackered old workmate tops with it. The holes aren't a standard size; between 19 and 20mm so I left them a little large for the stops. Hopefully it won't cause a problem but it would have been nice to get them right.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ipissedmyself posted:

The holes aren't a standard size; between 19 and 20mm

.......like 3/4”? :confused:

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?

Bad Munki posted:

.......like 3/4”? :confused:

Oh well that explains it then. I only have a metric set of flat heads.. :(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sorry :shobon:

On the plus side, if you went with 20mm, I don't think it'll matter one bit: there's no way the dogs that come with those workmates need that kind of precision. And if they do, you can just make your own to whatever spec you want.

Also, you've gotten way more use out of that thing than I ever did, nice.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
3D printed stops work a treat.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Made a silhouette of our son for Valentines day. Acrylic background with a Tremclad gold and silver spraypaint foreground.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Blistex posted:

Made a silhouette of our son for Valentines day. Acrylic background with a Tremclad gold and silver spraypaint foreground.

Gorgeous! I want one (or two)!

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Staryberry posted:

Gorgeous! I want one (or two)!

Of his son? That's weird.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

JEEVES420 posted:

Of his son? That's weird.

Agreed.

If you want to make your own, do an acrylic (or watercolour, or whatever) background to your liking, take a profile shot of a loved one, cut it out, place it on the canvas, and rattle can the whole thing. Voila! In all honesty, disregarding drying time, ten minutes work.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Just wanted to post that I did my first home DIY project that was more complicated the a couple of screws.

I wanted to install an electronic lock, but wouldn't you know it the door has the old 1-1/2" borehole which can't fit my new schlage keypad lock.

I bought a Ryobi door installation kit, (basically a template with beginner tool bits to start you off with).

Side note on existing doors you really should use the arbor to drill into another piece of wood clamped to the door as this template still torques around too much on an existing borehole. Also clamp the template to the door as it is pretty flimsy. But it's nice to not worry too much with measurements and being off center.

After drilling I had to chisel out the door to accommodate the strike plate. Which I did with a chisel and hammer but it looks like rear end so I might buy the actual tool to cleanly chisel out my doors and door frames considering I still need to do 3 more doors.

But end result I have an electronic door lock! (Next project I'll take more pictures in progress.)

Only took me about 3 hours.... But not bad for baby's first home project.

Still have 2 more little projects to do with this door, repairing the screen door handle, and replacing the door handle with a non-locking one so I don't need keys at all. But I won't bore you guys with the mundane stuff.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nice, those combo locks are fantastic. I have one that gives entry to my garage, and another on my shop. Friends who might be watching the place all have their own codes, as well as family. No keys to worry about.

Tip: program in a throwaway code, and if there's ever an emergency and you need to let a plumber in while you're at work or something, just give them the throwaway code and then delete it from the lock later.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I hope you searched on YouTube for that lock to check if there are any videos of a lawyer bypassing it in three seconds with a Playmobil horse or a digestive biscuit or something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

I hope you searched on YouTube for that lock to check if there are any videos of a lawyer bypassing it in three seconds with a Playmobil horse or a digestive biscuit or something.

Those are good locks and have been around for a while. It's hardly "high security", but it's no worse than any other decent quality deadbolt and a lot better than a lot of others (like LowesDepot Kwikset junk).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'll take that as a "no".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'll take that as a "no".

Yeah, it's not one of those hilarious "bump key in 3 seconds" ones. It's a legit mid-teir Slage lockset, which is about all a normal person would need. The electronics have not been (publicized) to be easily defeatable, it supports proper modern zwave standards, and the construction seems reasonable to me, with only a small hole for the wire to pass through to the keypad side and the important electronics on the "secure" side.

I have one on my back door and one on the barn for about a year now. No drama, they just work providing they were installed properly. If your door/lock isn't aligned correctly I've heard they eat batteries pretty quickly, but that hasn't been an issue for me.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
After watching lockpicking lawyer (where every lock sucks) my consideration on security was that most people won't pick door locks, and while technology hacking is a concern with smart locks. I think the most common entry would be a kicked door/smashed window to access the house since I don't have that much valuable stuff.

I just wanted the convenience of not fumbling with keys to open the door.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Crossposting from the woodworking thread, I just got done finishing the stocks and building out a pair of not-really-NERF dueling pistols for the hell of it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
that's 100% awesome

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Jerry Cotton posted:

<3 lockpicking lawyer.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I made some mesquite fan blades. A relative in town had to remove a tree, and used most of the wood to build an outdoor shower, but he had some extra slivers.

All my pieces started out like the one on the right-- I surface planed them down to about 4mm, used a table saw to cut the edges straight

Then scroll sawed the rounded parts

Sanded them to within 1/10 gram of each other for balance

3 coats of wipe-on oil-based urethane

Installed

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
That looks really nice! How's the balance? That's a project I would be a little intimidated of.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

taqueso posted:

That looks really nice! How's the balance? That's a project I would be a little intimidated of.

The finish didn't throw off the weights too much, ended with them all still being within a couple tenths and there's no wobble.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Qwijib0 posted:

The finish didn't throw off the weights too much, ended with them all still being within a couple tenths and there's no wobble.

Just got the mental image of you turning the fan on and doing what your avatar is doing. :feelsgood:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Latest project I have been working on is a CNC router. Finally got it alive so feel like sharing a picture. It has a working area 48" x 48".

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Next make a CNC music factory

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Hey folks, old forum person, new to DIY. Currently working on bringing up a CNC-ready Taig mill that I was given last year. It sat in my basement for about 9 months until I decided to start on antidepressants and go through my project backlog.

First step was to wire up the motors to DB9 connectors and test the machine with my GF's controller/driver box (which she made for her taig mill). Once that was done, it was time to buy the parts and begin the build in earnest...

Above, testing computer hardware with gf's power and drive setup. First things I bought were the computer hardware and GeckoDrive. Computer is a cheap, low-power mITX mobo (J3455B-ITX) with 4 GB SODIMM and a 32 GB SSD. Monitor is a cheap shenzhen special courtesy of amazon. Electrons provided by a PicoPSU-60 and a 4A, 12V power supply for the computer and monitor. CPU's TDP is 15W if you abuse it, so I figure 48W gives me plenty of headroom.

I installed LinuxCNC 2.8 (Mint 19.3 w/ RTAI kernel) and made some tweaks (cpu core affinity, disabling power-saving states, etc.) Jitter is 15 us, good numbers for software stepping.

The only thing I kept (aside from the mill itself) from the pile of hardware I was given was the mini itx case. I took a pair of shears and a dremel and cut out pretty much everything except the frame. The bottom has *just* enough space for the board and a 48V, 7.3A power supply. I chopped out some of the back as well, screwed on the GeckoDrive, and put pink duct tape to cover up all the sharp edges (I figure this box is temporary till I make something better).

At first, I thought I would try to modify the front panel to add the power switches, power entry connectors, and E-stop, but that didn't quite work out. On my GF's advice, I decided to 3D print something. I've always been kind of leary of 3D printing if it's for more than just trinkets, but I recently discovered carbon-fiber reinforced nylon filament and I'm genuinely impressed. Not that this is the slightest bit load-bearing, but hey, mars always overbuilds.

Next up, I need to tram the head, measure the backlash, and dial in the acceleration. The max velocity is only like 48 in/min (the joys of software stepping), so I'm looking to swap the triangular-profile leadscrews for ballscrews and get potentially quadruple that. Would be nice to get all that torque back as well.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Goddamn that kind of thing makes my brain hurt. And I used to be an electronics engineer.

-------

This is a collaboration with my dad: a build for his latest backyard beehive. The hive will go inside an old wine barrel and the surrounding structure is made of cedar trunks with an OSB + asphalt shingles roof.

The red star is because this is Texas, the Lone Star State.

No, it's because :tito:

I built the roof. People, roofing loving sucks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I feel like that roof is worse than average because it's too small to stand on.

The build looks great though! Nice work!

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Trabant posted:

Goddamn that kind of thing makes my brain hurt. And I used to be an electronics engineer.

-------

This is a collaboration with my dad: a build for his latest backyard beehive. The hive will go inside an old wine barrel and the surrounding structure is made of cedar trunks with an OSB + asphalt shingles roof.

The red star is because this is Texas, the Lone Star State.

No, it's because :tito:

I built the roof. People, roofing loving sucks.

Cute bee house!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I've been making a bike trailer for the last couple weeks, it's fairly rudimentary but well put together

https://youtu.be/zEDjsMOvE-4

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Built a desk today for the basement storage/utility/workout area from some scrap plywood and 2x4s. This will let me get away from the kids for conference calls, etc while I’m wfh indefinitely.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Rearranged the desk a little bit and added a footrest cross beam in the back, I like kicking up my feet. Also added some bracing on the middle leg.

My father had a ton of these GRK screws in his workshop, I had my mom bring them all up to me one trip - they kick rear end.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I like the foot rest idea, Maybe I'll set one up for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

devmd01 posted:

Rearranged the desk a little bit and added a footrest cross beam in the back, I like kicking up my feet. Also added some bracing on the middle leg.

My father had a ton of these GRK screws in his workshop, I had my mom bring them all up to me one trip - they kick rear end.

Nice! I like the updates as the days go on to improve the new normal work space.

Is that tablet live streaming the Coronavirus stats? I don't know that I could handle having that up all the time, but I like the mounting of the tablet.