Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is there a script, automator thing, or application that can turn logs into something a bit more user friendly?

Here's the scenario: I have an admin in a computer lab that wants reports on how long users are logged in to the computer and what applications are being run and for how long.

Jamf gets the info, but there's no way export that history to some sort of file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sounds like something that can be done with some bash scripts. Just grep commands and outputting it to another text file. Maybe some sed/awk if you're feeling fancy.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
This came up: http://www.logtailapp.com/

dunno if u wanna shell out $15 for, yeah, some bash scripts? :shrug:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is there a script, automator thing, or application that can turn logs into something a bit more user friendly?

Here's the scenario: I have an admin in a computer lab that wants reports on how long users are logged in to the computer and what applications are being run and for how long.

Jamf gets the info, but there's no way export that history to some sort of file.

That's pretty much the exact use case for LabStats, and the cost per device is pretty low.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Thanks goons. I’m not gonna write scripts because that would be me doing the work this guy should be doing and because I know zero about shell scripting. I’ll pass those app names to him. If he wants to buy them, he can.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Switzerland posted:

This came up: http://www.logtailapp.com/

dunno if u wanna shell out $15 for, yeah, some bash scripts? :shrug:

Last update was almost a year ago, which is about when the last positive review hit as well.

E: Here's a terminal-based formatter/aggregator that's open source. Not sure if it will fit your person's needs or not.

http://lnav.org

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 18, 2020

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Rick posted:

For whatever reason in the last month, I've been unable to see my external drive when it's plugged in via a firewire/thunderbolt adapter. The drive shows up if instead use a USB A cable.

It doesn't show up in the disk utility when plugged in to the firewire adapter, but at least the adapter shows up in system profile. So my first thought was maybe the firewire cable was bad, so I swapped it out, but nothing. I did notice the thunderbolt adapter is hot, which makes me think it might actually be the problem. But I've also done some googling and apparently with external drives sometimes Mac OS just loses them and eventually it will come back. Anyone else have this experience?

The computer that needed the firewire is long gone, so I think it might be time to replace this drive anyway, and I might do that instead of spending $30 on a thunderbolt adapter (especially since external drives are like $60 for 3TB right now), but, also my macbook only has two USB ports and one has a microphone in it 100% of the time. I have a hub but it's unreliable. So putting that thunderbolt port to work is desirable.

bump because i may be having similar problems

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

UnfurledSails posted:

I remember like 10 years ago there was an option to manually turn off a Macbook's trackpad by pressing the Option key 5 times or something like that. Does that feature still exist? My new Macbook has a much larger trackpad and my hands brush against it causing all sorts of unintended stuff to happen. Whatever automatic disabling there might be is not really working, so I'd like to have the option to manually disable my trackpad with a hotkey.

ControllerMate will be able to do it if nothing else.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this SMB permissions issue that's preventing me from accessing my Shield?

My buddy wants me to figure out that firmware update so I can update to High Sierra and Mojave but he has acknowledged and at least one of you ITT said that SMB handling might be the same or even worse with a newer OS. That Terminal line EL BROMANCE offered didn't work, but is there something similar I can try?

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
Anybody care to clarify or defend this dialogue box from macOS?
It makes no sense to me.

It prevents me from using Image Capture directly and it is launched every time I plug in my CF card.
Photos.app is absolutely non-essential and has no use for me or the operating system that I'm running.
It's as stupid as assuming that I couldn't use a text file without TextEdit or a .csv file without Numbers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

At a guess, it provides essential libraries to other OS apps and services?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'd probably start by looking into why it's launching every time you plug your CF card in. I'd bet there's a relevant setting to prevent it from doing so. How is it preventing you from using Image Capture?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

American McGay posted:

I'd bet there's a relevant setting to prevent it from doing so

Seemingly in true Apple fashion, there's a GUI way to half-rear end it (change the default app for a SPECIFIC card, through Image Capture when the card is inserted) and a CLI way to do it system-wide
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7300987

Provided from link without testing:
code:
defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES
defaults -currentHost write com.apple.Photos disableHotPlug -bool YES

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
How do I tell Safari to stop loving telling me my (Discord) webpages "are using too much energy" on my most-definitely-not-a-laptop Mac Mini?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Discord app is constantly marked as 'not responding' in Activity Monitor, and always has been. No idea why.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Even desktop users should be conscious of the environmental impact they have forcing CPU cycles against inefficient software. Have you considered greener messaging alternatives, like IRC?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
People who use web discord are insane freaks.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Switch to Chrome so all of your tabs use too much energy

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Who uses discord throughout the day?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

People who use web discord are insane freaks.

You're goddamn right I am.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

jokes posted:

Who uses discord throughout the day?

Literally everyone.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I updated my iCloud password and a bunch of my Mac(s) are now under the impression they need to re-upload their entire iCloud photo libraries. FFS.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Are they actually re-uploading photos? Sometimes iCloud Photos gets in a weird state if it's been logged out + logged back where it will say it's updating the library, but it's more like verifying the library is sync'd with iCloud and will prevent itself from uploading duplicates.

If it's uploading a bunch of duplicate images, then idk it's hosed

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Last Chance posted:

Are they actually re-uploading photos? Sometimes iCloud Photos gets in a weird state if it's been logged out + logged back in where it will say it's updating the library, but it's more like verifying the library is sync'd with iCloud and will prevent itself from uploading duplicates.

If it's uploading a bunch of duplicate images, then idk it's hosed

Yeah I've seen this before. It's probably just verifying but still, slow AF. They could just hash everything and check the hashes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Better check if this image is uploaded"

*uploads entire image*

*checks hash via server-side API*

"Cool, it matches, no need to upload. Okay, 1 down, 23,155 to go"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I doubt it uploads the entire image, but it probably does have to compare some kind of stored hash or id from the local Photos database with the iCloud one for each photo.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Last Chance posted:

I doubt it uploads the entire image, but it probably does have to compare some kind of stored hash or id from the local Photos database with the iCloud one for each photo.

Whatever it is, its slow and annoying AF and could be 1000x more efficient.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is it doing it in the foreground or something? Why is it actively annoying you so much?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I want to do stuff with a bunch of recent photos that haven't been synced yet and won't be synced until it uploads everything first.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man my 2016 touchbar MBP13 has been real hot lately. Load averages haven’t dipped below 2 all day today, even with everything closed, and tend to hover around 3-4. Really struggling to figure out what’s going on. Nothing in ‘top’ shows it’s using any sustained CPU, system shows 96% idle.

I wouldn’t care about the load average except it’s physically warm to the touch. I’m contrasting this with my 2019 MBP13 which is ice cold with the same amount of garbage running. Super anecdotal, I know.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Is there a way to add software into the Automation section of the Privacy tab in Security? I want hyperdock to be able to control other applications (mainly Spotify), but it doesn't appear as a default selection.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Having a weird issue where certain software windows want to open on a monitor that's turned off (my TV across the room, which I have connected but rarely use only if I need a big monitor for video editing previews or to watch stuff on VLC). So naturally, when I fire up something like Traktor for example, it opens on the turned-off TV instead of in front of me. I imagine there's some sort of command in Finder to correct this? How do I make the software remember to open on the correct monitor?

Also I'm still at a loss with this Shield/SMB issue. I have a bunch of new movies I want to move over there but no idea how to do it. Nearest solution I can think of is creating a Windows boot partition and booting into that every time I want to use the SMB protocol to transfer movies to the Plex HDDs, but that's... really stupid.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

qutius posted:

Is there a way to add software into the Automation section of the Privacy tab in Security? I want hyperdock to be able to control other applications (mainly Spotify), but it doesn't appear as a default selection.

That is completely and 100% up to the app to provide, if it's not there, the app doesn't support that functionality.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Last Chance posted:

That is completely and 100% up to the app to provide, if it's not there, the app doesn't support that functionality.

Bummer, I suspected as much. Any have another app that has been updated more recently that does HyperDock type poo poo?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
edit: Wrong thread.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 25, 2020

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Downgrading to Mojave. Thought I needed to do Catalina for Xcode stuff but nope. I miss playing the few games I had.

Seriously gently caress dropping 32 bit support.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

lord funk posted:

Downgrading to Mojave. Thought I needed to do Catalina for Xcode stuff but nope. I miss playing the few games I had.

Seriously gently caress dropping 32 bit support.

I don't know, Aleph One seems to be 64-bit.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Are there any good tricks to using multiple Spaces?

Sometimes I’ll be working on something that requires a lot of windows and applications. If the project takes more than a day or so, I like to give it its own Space so I can switch away and work on other stuff too without the clutter.

This mostly seems to work well, except that sometimes a project will be using an app that I’ll need for other things too (Safari and Finder, for example). If I’m looking a blank Space and click the Safari dock icon, it switches to the Space where Safari is open.

I know Mission Control has a setting “When switching to an application, switch to a Space with open windows for the application.” If I uncheck that, then clicking on Safari just focuses Safari but doesn’t do anything else. I have to manually right-click or use the menubar to open a new window in the current Space.

My desired behavior would be that clicking an app will open a new window for that app in the current Space. Basically, behave exactly as if it’s not open in a separate Space. Is there something I’m missing?

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 25, 2020

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

tankadillo posted:

Are there any good tricks to using multiple Spaces?

Sometimes I’ll be working on something that requires a lot of windows and applications. If the project takes more than a day or so, I like to give it its own Space so I can switch away and work on other stuff too without the clutter.

This mostly seems to work well, except that sometimes a project will be using an app that I’ll need for other things too (Safari and Finder, for example). If I’m looking a blank Space and click the Safari dock icon, it switches to the Space where Safari is open.

I know Mission Control has a setting “When switching to an application, switch to a Space with open windows for the application.” If I uncheck that, then clicking on Safari just focuses Safari but doesn’t do anything else. I have to manually right-click or use the menubar to open a new window in the current Space.

My desired behavior would be that clicking an app will open a new window for that app in the current Space. Basically, behave exactly as if it’s not open in a separate Space. Is there something I’m missing?

Yes, you’re missing that this isn’t how it works. Not all applications have multiple-window capabilities, so the functionality you are looking for simply isn’t there.

“When switching to an application, switch to a Space with open windows for the application.” doesn’t mean that if it doesn’t do that, it makes a new window in your current space. It just means that it will change the focused application but not the space in display. This makes what you’re trying to do easier, as you will then have the menu for that application up and be able to use its keyboard shortcut for a new window to open in the currently selected space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

tankadillo posted:

This behavior also baffled me, especially with Firefox. The Chromium browsers are your best bet for “not being so drat annoying”. Can’t help with Finder, though.