Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I need to re-watch Xtro this weekend. What a great way to spend the three day weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
drat. Mill Creek continues to do God’s work. 30 Rock coming to Blu-Ray. Hopefully it’ll be a good transfer. I’m still really impressed by this Shield set.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boywhiz88 posted:

drat. Mill Creek continues to do God’s work. 30 Rock coming to Blu-Ray. Hopefully it’ll be a good transfer. I’m still really impressed by this Shield set.

WHAT?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Boywhiz88 posted:

Sign me the gently caress up

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Could companies stop putting loving stickers on the sleeve of Blu-rays? Like. gently caress. I don't want half the art on the cover being overshadowed by "REDEEM A DIGITAL CODE ON WATCH ANYWHERE". I bought 6 movies today and only 2 of them didn't have a big lovely sticker on them that are a pain to remove. I know it's a weird pet peeve, but I'm gonna buy a heat gun to heat up the adhesive and remove the stickers.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Untrustable posted:

Could companies stop putting loving stickers on the sleeve of Blu-rays? Like. gently caress. I don't want half the art on the cover being overshadowed by "REDEEM A DIGITAL CODE ON WATCH ANYWHERE". I bought 6 movies today and only 2 of them didn't have a big lovely sticker on them that are a pain to remove. I know it's a weird pet peeve, but I'm gonna buy a heat gun to heat up the adhesive and remove the stickers.

Unless it's that really glossy paper you can use rubbing alcohol, unless you soak the thing it's not going to gently caress it up. If it's on thr plastic case use Goo Gone.

edit: Wait are you talking about a slipcover or the actual cover art in the case? Because I've never seen the latter.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 18, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
burn all sleeves, spindles forever

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

BURN THE HERETIC!

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

CPL593H posted:

Unless it's that really glossy paper you can use rubbing alcohol, unless you soak the thing it's not going to gently caress it up. If it's on thr plastic case use Goo Gone.

edit: Wait are you talking about a slipcover or the actual cover art in the case? Because I've never seen the latter.

Slipcover. My friend just throws them away, but I consider them part of the movie.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Untrustable posted:

At least it's not on the cover of a loving book.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

feedmyleg posted:

im actually considering going this direction with my sleeves
https://spacesavingsleeves.com/

Ive already gotten rid of a couple hundred jewel cases from my cd collection and minimized my entire collection to a very small shelf. highly considering a DVD/Blu-Ray/UHD conversion in the future.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

dorium posted:

Ive already gotten rid of a couple hundred jewel cases from my cd collection and minimized my entire collection to a very small shelf. highly considering a DVD/Blu-Ray/UHD conversion in the future.

I buy these, they're way cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JR2V7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Went through a bunch of hullabaloo because of a digital code that didn’t work. But eventually ended up exchanging the set, long story short I have an extra code for

Fast and Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K: UP6H7X4SHZ64WNZ5
Redeem via MoviesAnywhere

Enjoy!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nabbed it. Thanks.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

At least it's not on the cover of a loving book.

Put some GooGone on that before you try messing with the sticker if you even suspect there's going to be an issue.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

those arent too bad at all. I need to do a proper count of my collection and see how much all this is gunna cost me.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A spindle? Oo la la. Stack your discs on your entertainment center like an adult.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Stack? How on earth are you supposed to find your favorite movie that way? Keep 'em in a loose pile of discs on your coffee table for easy browsing.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

I thought Mill Creek had a bad reputation? Or was that just for packaging and the content itself was of good quality?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

Boo! Boo these men!

Doctor Teeth posted:

I thought Mill Creek had a bad reputation? Or was that just for packaging and the content itself was of good quality?

Milk Creek isn't terrible, their discs are just the barest of bones.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Put some GooGone on that before you try messing with the sticker if you even suspect there's going to be an issue.

Goo Gone leaves a residue that needs to be washed with soap and water. Try rubbing alcohol first.

Iron Crowned posted:

Boo! Boo these men!

Milk Creek isn't terrible, their discs are just the barest of bones.

A lot of their transfers are godawful and they just poo poo out whatever they find. That's where the reputation comes from. Plus I'm pretty sure that they were one of those "50 classic horror movies on two discs!" companies in their earlier days which is very looked down upon. Apparently the Ultraman blu-rays are pretty good. Their DVD wasn't. When Egbert Souse gets here I'm sure he'll know way more about this.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 18, 2020

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Doctor Teeth posted:

Mill Creek is fine. The thing is they don't do their own masters, so if they get handed lovely masters, that's what you're going to get. If they get good masters, they look pretty good.

Their packing varies too.

Honestly, they're perfectly fine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cemetry Gator posted:

Mill Creek is fine. The thing is they don't do their own masters, so if they get handed lovely masters, that's what you're going to get. If they get good masters, they look pretty good.

Their packing varies too.

Honestly, they're perfectly fine.

Yeah, the handful I have aren't bad (Krull, The Legend of Billie Jean, Hardbodies, Happy Birthday to Me), but it's literally just the movie, no chapters, no bonus features, no menus.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Doctor Teeth posted:

Mill Creek is always super budget, bare bones, acceptable quality. Never expect Criterion or Shout quality. However, they are great at getting licenses, especially TV. Probably because they are so cheap and bare they make a good profit and get those licenses in the first place.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I have the Community set from Mill Creek and while I'm confident that 30 Rock will look good because NBC has high quality masters, the Community discs have an ad for Mill Creek printed on the disc.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, the handful I have aren't bad (Krull, The Legend of Billie Jean, Hardbodies, Happy Birthday to Me), but it's literally just the movie, no chapters, no bonus features, no menus.

It takes a brave man to admit to owning a physical copy of Hardbodies.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

McSpanky posted:

It takes a brave man to admit to owning a physical copy of Hardbodies.

I mean to be fair, those VHS slipcovers are pretty neat. It's just that that's all they are, slipcovers over top of a standard barebones Mill Creek release. The blu rays themselves don't even have the VHS artwork on them.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mill Creek basically takes whatever masters they get and stay hands-off. TCM Archives released The Lady from Shanghai initially, from Sony's 4K restoration, but botched it twice - the original edition was horribly compressed (MPEG 2 at something like 8 mbps like a DVD) and the replacement disc had hosed up black levels. Mill Creek's edition used the 4K master just downscaled to 1080p with a maxed-out BD-25 (it's less than 90 minutes long) and the image quality is almost identical to the UK Indicator release.

On the other hand, they sniped Criterion with a lovely 16mm-sourced Night of the Living Dead to cash in on George Romero dying, even though everyone knew the 4K restoration was coming.

Their editions of Mothra and Metropolis are really nice, though. They're licensed from Sony, so they have good HD masters and they even have extras, plus steelbook packaging.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The Blu-ray cover art for Joker isn't as good as the DVD art. I'm gonna have to print a new one. I moved my whole collection the other day, and made sure to open all of them to see what's up. A lot of my Wes Anderson Criterions and Studio Gibli movies have neat little posters in them. I should open my movies more often. Also, if this is the place where I throw my Vudu and Watch Anywhere codes I have a ton to drop.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The only Mill Creek things I've experienced are from those old 50 film packs, so any half descent quality would be a shock to me.

e: Just visited their site and they have a mighty attractive looking bunch of classic Ultraman series br sets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fgujSo_pmU
I might need this.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 19, 2020

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Casimir Radon posted:

The stickers that are on books usually come right off, so this was a bit of an unexpected surprise. I want muh rugby books to not have lovely stickers ruining the covers, for gently caress's sake.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

Untrustable posted:

The Blu-ray cover art for Joker isn't as good as the DVD art. I'm gonna have to print a new one. I moved my whole collection the other day, and made sure to open all of them to see what's up. A lot of my Wes Anderson Criterions and Studio Gibli movies have neat little posters in them. I should open my movies more often. Also, if this is the place where I throw my Vudu and Watch Anywhere codes I have a ton to drop.

You can post the codes here or in the blu-ray or digital movie threads in Coupons & Deals.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

The only Mill Creek things I've experienced are from those old 50 film packs, so any half descent quality would be a shock to me.

e: Just visited their site and they have a mighty attractive looking bunch of classic Ultraman series br sets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fgujSo_pmU
I might need this.

I've been getting the Ultraman steelbooks. They're good.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Just discovered that a lot of Arrow and Korean movie releases are a lot cheaper on amazon uk than the US variant. Just got 12 Monkeys for 14 vs the usual 27. Lot of em are A,B for region too. Gonna keep an eye on there from now on and also need to mod my PS3 already.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

ChazTurbo posted:

Just discovered that a lot of Arrow and Korean movie releases are a lot cheaper on amazon uk than the US variant. Just got 12 Monkeys for 14 vs the usual 27. Lot of em are A,B for region too. Gonna keep an eye on there from now on and also need to mod my PS3 already.

Also keep a look out when Arrow UK and Eureka have sales, they're often the cheapest you'll be able to find the discs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
90% of my Arrow collection has been bought at various Fopp sales for £8 or less per movie.

Amazon UK used to be really good for cheap Doctor Who DVDs too since BBC stuff used to be outrageously priced here in the US.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

90% of my Arrow collection has been bought at various Fopp sales for £8 or less per movie.

Amazon UK used to be really good for cheap Doctor Who DVDs too since BBC stuff used to be outrageously priced here in the US.

Oh nice. Any idea how often Fopps sales come around?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ChazTurbo posted:

Oh nice. Any idea how often Fopps sales come around?

At least once a year, usually around summer. The last one was from early July to late August. If you follow Arrow on social media they’re usually pretty good about notifying when the sales start. They do 50% off sales with a handful of retailers beyond Fopp, including Barnes & Noble and a couple of online shops.

Check the brick & mortar Fopps every now and then too. Sometimes they’ll put individual Arrow releases on deep discount outside the usual sale times. I don’t live in the UK, but my dad is over there for work pretty often and he’s a big movie guy so he usually checks the couple of London Fopps when he’s in town. Fopp used to also carry lots of Eureka titles but I don’t remember if those have big sales like Arrow.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Is there an obvious technical reason why The Terminator hasn't had a UHD release yet? Or is it just something to do with the rights?