Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Heners_UK posted:

This thread taught me what MMX actually was.

Now I feel justified in desiring it back then.

Yeah but combination of 2GB hard drive + dial up speeds to download MPEG2 video meant you could store 1.5 movies + windows and that was it, if you managed to download those in less than six weeks over dial up you were in pretty good shape.

Of course, BitTorrent, Napster, gnutella (later limewire) wouldn't be invented for four years, and divx/mp4 (grandfather of h.264, what your Chromebook supports) came about around the same time

MPEG2 was cool for doing real-time DVD playback on wheezy Pentium 166 where the DVD drive didn't have the built in decoding

TL;DR watching video on computers wasn't exactly practical until about 2002/3/4 and my age is showing

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you still have to use a program like PowerDVD to watch DVDs on a computer?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cojawfee posted:

VLC will do it just fine

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Rhyno posted:

The really nice ASUS C425 is down to $380 and has been as low as $320 this week. I bought one but it wouldn't retain a charge so I returned it and am pondering if I want to buy another.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VT254P6?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=MCJXNQ3R2TVPG4PEB7X4

It's down to $330 right now, and even though I just spent about that much on an HP x360 I'm curious as to how the two compare.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Hadlock posted:

Yeah but combination of 2GB hard drive + dial up speeds to download MPEG2 video meant you could store 1.5 movies + windows and that was it, if you managed to download those in less than six weeks over dial up you were in pretty good shape.

Of course, BitTorrent, Napster, gnutella (later limewire) wouldn't be invented for four years, and divx/mp4 (grandfather of h.264, what your Chromebook supports) came about around the same time

MPEG2 was cool for doing real-time DVD playback on wheezy Pentium 166 where the DVD drive didn't have the built in decoding

TL;DR watching video on computers wasn't exactly practical until about 2002/3/4 and my age is showing

God drat I remember teenage me being flabbergasted at how much of a pain in the dick watching a DVD was

Bitch just let me see the matrix again for the 30th time it's my only dvd

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Brydge out of stock in the google store. :(

I think I may jump at this deal with the slate keyboard anyway.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

fondue posted:

Brydge out of stock in the google store. :(

I think I may jump at this deal with the slate keyboard anyway.

Buy it with the Slate keyboard, by the Brydge elsewhere, flip the Slate keyboard.

You'll probably break even at least.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Just got the chromebook. I'm writing this post on it. You guys are right the display situation is pretty rough. Also it is pretty slow but streaming video is working great.

I also really like the keyboard and trackpad. I'm glad that the keyboard is pretty much full sized and has a decent feel to it. I type really fast (140wpm) so I'm usually pretty picky about laptop keyboards (and keyboards in general) and for a small laptop like this it's very much acceptable, esepcially considering I'm bought this thing primarily to shitpost from my couch/bed.

For a little bit over $100 it's totally worth it but I would never pay the MSRP suggested $250 for this thing. I would honestly feel ripped off. For about $120 you really can't go wrong.

I'll make a followup post about the battery life. The system is estimating about 9 hours after a top up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

It's down to $330 right now, and even though I just spent about that much on an HP x360 I'm curious as to how the two compare.

On that I am no help. I will probably grab another one after the holidays.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wish I could find one in a store to try out. It's almost a full pound lighter than this HP, and I'm guessing the m3 will keep things quieter than the i3.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah once the "encryption" was broken any open source app could decode it

Also the patents on MPEG2 expired so commercial software doesn't have to pay a licensing fee to those German fucks anymore to decode it

Open source used to be a lot more crufty and you would go to CompUSA or best buy and get a commercial cardboard box with a CD in it, and that price included the MPEG2 decode license fee etc etc

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Got the Pixel Slate combo on Black Friday but unfortunately too big for me, so selling at a discount here if anyone's interested:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905621

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My Dad's Toshiba Chromebook 2 (I know there were two generations but don't remember the years, this one is the 1080p variant of the original generation) battery seems to have died, it basically won't work unless connected to AC. It's battered as hell and time for a replacement.

I got a Pixel 4 XL which, in the UK, came with a free Chromebook but it seems to be some hot garbage thing. It's specifically listed as the "HP 14-DB0003NA 14" AMD A4 Chromebook". The touchpad is squidgy as hell and the screen is 1080p turns out it's 768p but really dull. The keyboard is, surprisingly, not too bad. I've also read that the performance isn't very good. Overal it somehow manages to feel like a downgrade over his five year old Toshiba.

If he decides he doesn't like it, what's a good Chromebook I can buy in the UK that's around the same screen size, has a decent 1080p panel like the Toshiba (touchscreen not needed), has Android app support, and isn't stupidly flimsy? Budget would ideally be around the same as the Toshiba was (~£250ish I think) but I think that'll be a tough find so not a hard limit. Specs don't need to be high, he mostly only uses it for basic web browsing and video streaming, though would like to play some relatively basic Android games like Zen pinball as well.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 9, 2019

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

asecondduck posted:

Buy it with the Slate keyboard, by the Brydge elsewhere, flip the Slate keyboard.

You'll probably break even at least.

Is the Brydge that much better? Why is it less expensive?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Tunga posted:

(touchscreen not needed)

I completely get why you say this. I don't think a touchscreen is truly needed, but I do find that, if I have it, I use it, especially one Chrome OS. The first point withstanding, you might find it desirable, especially if Android apps are in use, which generally assume direct input.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

fondue posted:

Is the Brydge that much better? Why is it less expensive?

The Brydge essentially turns the Slate into a Pixelbook. It uses Bluetooth, but it connects almost immediately and from what I can tell is actually smart enough to send the last keypress before it connects. You do have to keep it charged, but it comes with a C-C cable that you can plug directly into the Slate to charge it.

As for why it's less expensive, I couldn't really tell you, but it's half off on their website right now probably because the Pixel Slate failed.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

So what does everyone do with their pen? Does someone sell a holder?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I lost mine

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Heners_UK posted:

I completely get why you say this. I don't think a touchscreen is truly needed, but I do find that, if I have it, I use it, especially one Chrome OS. The first point withstanding, you might find it desirable, especially if Android apps are in use, which generally assume direct input.
I have a Pixelbook myself so I totally get this, I wouldn't dream of owning a Chromebook without a touchscreen. But trust me when I say that my dad doesn't want or need a touchscreen, nor is he willing to pay the price of anything that has one. He doesn't even understand what an Android app is, he just wants to play pinball with physical tactile buttons and watch Sky Go, both of which happens require Play Store access to achieve on Chrome OS.

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

asecondduck posted:

The Brydge essentially turns the Slate into a Pixelbook. It uses Bluetooth, but it connects almost immediately and from what I can tell is actually smart enough to send the last keypress before it connects. You do have to keep it charged, but it comes with a C-C cable that you can plug directly into the Slate to charge it.

As for why it's less expensive, I couldn't really tell you, but it's half off on their website right now probably because the Pixel Slate failed.

Isn’t the base model Slate much slower than the base Pixelbook?

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus
I found myself a couple dozen bad boys sold as scrap for pretty cheap. I did some schooling for electronics engineering so I've got all the equipment and technical knowledge for fixing those I can and parting the others. But does anyone have any recomendations for compatible off brand 11.6" and 10.1" touchscreen displays? I talked with my usual vendor and the cheapest he could source was ~45/unit.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I was using CloudReady last week and like it a lot. I'll do a full write up on it later, but suffice it to say for now, if you have a spare laptop or desktop (especially one with a touchscreen), it's a great option for keeping it useful.

However, I had a question that may apply more broadly, has anyone either installed Steam or otherwise used Steam Link using the Linux apps functions (not the Android app) on a Chromebook? Ideally on CloudReady but anywhere is useful. I was able to install it last week and run Steam Home Streaming to my gaming vm, but performance on the clientside was unusuable (1-5fps at a guess, with lots of tearing). Guess is that the Chrome Linux VM cannot access any hardware acceleration. By contrast, Xubuntu + Steam on the same machine has been excellent (just a little tearing, XFCE issue). Furthermore, Steam Link on my (Android) phone has been flawless to.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 11, 2019

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
$449 Pixel Slate with free pen and Brydge keyboard back on at the Google Store, fyi

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Is there a better low cost flip chrome book like this one? Or a newer version? The one I am referencing below is the Asus c101 flip.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075KFFMZS/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_i_djM.DbAS55RTC

I have this one and its great but was gonna get one for a relative and haven't kept up with upgrades.

Or is there a different alternative that's better now?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

https://www.cnet.com/news/lenovo-doubles-up-on-2-in-1-chromebooks-at-ces-2020/

That flex 5 might be interesting

The Samsung Galaxy one is .4 inch lol

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I don't know how many of these they have in stock, but for ~$265 this HP X2 detachable CB has great specs!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Bummer I don't need one tbh. Solid find.

12 is a good size too imo

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

Bummer I don't need one tbh. Solid find.

12 is a good size too imo

That's what she said.... :smugdog:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ok, here's a legitimate, good, cheap-as-possible CB: Dell 13 (7310) for $100. It's got a Broadwell Celeron (dual-core, but based on the 5th-gen Core microarch so it's like a low-end i3 without HT,) 4 GB RAM, 13" FHD display, and is supported through 6/2021. As always, the Woot listing is good for 24 hours.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Atomizer posted:

Ok, here's a legitimate, good, cheap-as-possible CB: Dell 13 (7310) for $100.

Well, that's gone. Would have driven to the states to get it too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently, Intel is partnering with Google to bring their Project Athena to Chromebooks as well.

https://chromeunboxed.com/google-intel-project-athena-chromebooks-samsung-asus/

The Samsung Galaxy Chromebook and ASUS Chromebook Flip C436 are the first two Project Athena chromebooks. Project Athena imposes minimum hardware standards for devices.

Here are the minimum standards for devices

quote:

quickly waking from sleep in less than a second
biometric login options
Core i5 or i7
at least 8GB of RAM
at least 256GB of NVMe storage
9+ hours of battery with real world usage
16+ hours of battery on looped local video playback
quick charge to 4 hours of battery in less than 30 minutes
Thunderbolt 3
WiFi 6
LTE options
ultra thin 2-in-1 and clamshell designs
12-15″ 1080P touch displays (or better)
narrow bezels
backlit keyboards
great trackpads
pen support

Some of it seems a little overkill for chromebooks, but it's also an easy way to know if the device you are looking at has one of these specs.

This seems to dovetail nicely with this:
https://9to5google.com/2020/01/17/report-google-steam-chromebook-official-support/

Since running steam games will of course require some baseline hardware requirements.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

Well, that's gone. Would have driven to the states to get it too.

Yup, looks like it sold out within 3 hours, and I managed to grab one when I realized it's the 2015 professional/business model, which is very nice and built like a tank. Excellent keyboard, touchpad, display, battery life; I don't think the display is the touchscreen and I'm not sure if the keyboard is backlit, but even if not it's a good deal, as evidenced by 70% of purchasers buying at least 3 of them! :eyepop: It's pretty much the perfect "throw it in your bag and haul it with you just in case" cheap CB.

Also, for anyone who hasn't purchased anything like this with variable specs (particularly laptops) from Woot, it's entirely possible for there to be some higher-spec'd variants (like with the touchscreen, better CPU, etc.,) mixed in and sent instead to some lucky buyers, as I've received these before (e.g. a Razer Blade Stealth, the HP 13 CB I regularly use, etc.) and they're not going to list 12 different variants of which they only have a handful when they mainly are selling a bunch of the base variant.

bull3964 posted:

Apparently, Intel is partnering with Google to bring their Project Athena to Chromebooks as well.

https://chromeunboxed.com/google-intel-project-athena-chromebooks-samsung-asus/

The Samsung Galaxy Chromebook and ASUS Chromebook Flip C436 are the first two Project Athena chromebooks. Project Athena imposes minimum hardware standards for devices.

Here are the minimum standards for devices

Some of it seems a little overkill for chromebooks, but it's also an easy way to know if the device you are looking at has one of these specs.

This seems to dovetail nicely with this:
https://9to5google.com/2020/01/17/report-google-steam-chromebook-official-support/

Since running steam games will of course require some baseline hardware requirements.

I agree that some of the specs are overkill, like an i7, a large amount of NVMe storage, TB3, as the main draw of CBs is good performance on modest hardware at affordable prices. The only real need for the higher-end specs would be to add greater offline software support (e.g. for gaming, although a dGPU is then going to be a requirement and additional cost, or multimedia transcoding, etc.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ice lake is surprisingly competent for indy games.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Yeah unless you're playing shooty mcgunface 2022 @ 144hz @4k in ultra mode, integrated graphics got good around 2013 and they've gotten pretty great since then

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Atomizer posted:

Yup, looks like it sold out within 3 hours, and I managed to grab one when I realized it's the 2015 professional/business model, which is very nice and built like a tank. Excellent keyboard, touchpad, display, battery life; I don't think the display is the touchscreen and I'm not sure if the keyboard is backlit, but even if not it's a good deal, as evidenced by 70% of purchasers buying at least 3 of them! :eyepop: It's pretty much the perfect "throw it in your bag and haul it with you just in case" cheap CB.

Also, for anyone who hasn't purchased anything like this with variable specs (particularly laptops) from Woot, it's entirely possible for there to be some higher-spec'd variants (like with the touchscreen, better CPU, etc.,) mixed in and sent instead to some lucky buyers, as I've received these before (e.g. a Razer Blade Stealth, the HP 13 CB I regularly use, etc.) and they're not going to list 12 different variants of which they only have a handful when they mainly are selling a bunch of the base variant.

I agree that some of the specs are overkill, like an i7, a large amount of NVMe storage, TB3, as the main draw of CBs is good performance on modest hardware at affordable prices. The only real need for the higher-end specs would be to add greater offline software support (e.g. for gaming, although a dGPU is then going to be a requirement and additional cost, or multimedia transcoding, etc.)

Yeah, I'm sad I missed that woot deal, just like I'm sad I missed a ~$200-250 deal on the same chromebooks when dell stopped making them a couple of years ago. IIRC that model (or maybe just the higher end i3/i5 version?) had removable storage

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Eh, "can play indie games" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement considering basically any Intel iGPU can do that. That means these likely higher-end CBs would be able to play some Linux-compatible games almost as well as a cheaper entry-level Windows laptop can. I mean it's better than nothing, but it's not "good."

Hadlock posted:

Yeah unless you're playing shooty mcgunface 2022 @ 144hz @4k in ultra mode, integrated graphics got good around 2013 and they've gotten pretty great since then

Intel iGPUs are definitely better than they were in the GMA900 days, but I'd call them "passable" rather than "pretty great."

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, I'm sad I missed that woot deal, just like I'm sad I missed a ~$200-250 deal on the same chromebooks when dell stopped making them a couple of years ago. IIRC that model (or maybe just the higher end i3/i5 version?) had removable storage

Oh I believe you're right; the Dell 13 takes a m.2 2242 SATA SSD! I actually have a 128 GB one from the GPD WIN 2, although it's DRAMless, and I don't know if I'd bother doing an "upgrade" since I don't really use CBs' internal storage, but it's nice to know it's an option. I might be inclined to pop it open and take a look inside anyways, though. It already shipped earlier today, which seems like pretty quick turnaround time for Woot!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Atomizer posted:

Eh, "can play indie games" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement considering basically any Intel iGPU can do that.

How about this. My Ice Lake XPS 13 2:1 can play Doom 2016 at 720p on ultra at about 45fps.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's great in my book. Great is very subjective depending on the user and various factors. I bet it plays fortnite like tits, which is all my coworker's three little brothers care about on their hand-me-down laptop. :pcgaming:

If you already own a $2200 gaming laptop with rainbow led keyboard you might actually piss on an XPS out of spite. While wearing VR goggles :vrfrog:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

How about this. My Ice Lake XPS 13 2:1 can play Doom 2016 at 720p on ultra at about 45fps.

Yeah, but can it play Crysis? :smugdog:

Also, Doom 2016 isn't exactly a tough game to run well, although if I were in your position I wouldn't be running it on Ultra settings; I'd rather lower the details and get 60+ FPS. As it stands, if I want to play a low-fidelity version of that game I'd do it on the $200 Switch (Lite). How much did your XPS 13 cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, but can it play Crysis? :smugdog:

Also, Doom 2016 isn't exactly a tough game to run well, although if I were in your position I wouldn't be running it on Ultra settings; I'd rather lower the details and get 60+ FPS. As it stands, if I want to play a low-fidelity version of that game I'd do it on the $200 Switch (Lite). How much did your XPS 13 cost?

I wasn't really going for the best gaming for the buck here nor eeking the best performance out of it, only representing that Ice Lake graphics represent a pretty big jump over the last generation of integrated Intel and makes the prospect of Steam on a Chromebook a lot more useful. I didn't buy the XPS13 to game on, but I did want to see what it could do.

On top of that, we're going to start seeing a lot more AMD APUs in Chromebooks with similar capability.

My main point is that we don't have to wait for dGPU Chromebooks to have a huge library of PC games playable on the hardware.