Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Willsun posted:

The world is chopped into tiny diamond-shaped cells (level 17 cells) that only allow for one Pokestop/gym to be on it at a time. And as long as the portal placements are 20 meters apart from other portals, it will become a stop in Pokemon Go. Sponsored stops like Starbucks/Sprint/Boost Mobile don't follow these rules.

My local Discord group's map kindly has these chopped up into the larger diamond cells (level 14 cells) that tell you where gyms are created. Only 3 gyms can be created in a level 14 cell, and they take the respective number of Pokestops to be made before another the next gym is made: 2, 6, 20. Some people download an Ingress map overlay that shows a circle radius of 20 meters when planning portal/stop nominations so that they're not too close. Ingress doesn't care how close each portal is as long as they're in their own level 17 cell. Pokemon Go, however, will simply not have the newer one show up if it's within 20 meters of another stop.

You're mostly correct:

- Every existing wayspot will appear in Ingress as portals, and in HPWU as something. The "one POI per s17 cell" rule only applies to PoGo; the oldest existing wayspot in the cell will appear as a stop/gym.

- The 20m submission radius applies once a new wayspot is approved. If it's less than 20m from another wayspot, it will be thrown out. This applies to all the games.

Long ago there was no minimum submission distance, so sometimes you will see wayspots really close to one another that were grandfathered in from this. Also, you can get around the 20m limitation by editing the location of existing wayspots in-game, but edits can take several months to complete review.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Very cool, thank you for the information! This new one should be >20m from the existing stops and gyms around it so fingers crossed I get a desk stop!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Willsun posted:

I sadly didn't do this when I first started playing with Wayfarer and a good stop is lost forever because I didn't try to nudge it far enough away from another stop.
Don't worry, the reviewers would have moved into an inconvenient spot anyway.

I tried to make a gym by submitting two spots that are pretty close to each other, in a rural area with nothing else around for miles. Both are on opposite edges of a cell, so I'm careful to place the first one outside of that cell. It gets accepted, but reviewers moved it into the middle cell. Then I try the second one. I place it just outside of the cell that is now already occupied, but again the reviewers move it in! The pin wasn't even off, it was a bridge touching both cells. So now this rural location that had no stops, has only one stop, instead of a stop and a gym. And there's nothing else interesting enough in that cell that I can use to make it a gym. Thanks reviewers!

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Yeah I really wish we knew what the criteria is for people moving your nomination's location. Like, is it an aggregate average of a few people's proposed moves? If only one reviewer moved it, does it just take that new location no questions asked? On the other hand, if they did confirm it doesn't take much to get a nomination location moved, it would motivate trolls to do it more often.

I only ever move the location if there's no other existing stops around it that would contend with possible cell placement, or actually help someone if their location was placed less than 20 meters from another one and I want it to appear in the game for them.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yo, X13fen (sic?), we are one gift away from best buddies I think. Are we coordinating to open eggs?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Willsun posted:

Yeah I really wish we knew what the criteria is for people moving your nomination's location. Like, is it an aggregate average of a few people's proposed moves? If only one reviewer moved it, does it just take that new location no questions asked? On the other hand, if they did confirm it doesn't take much to get a nomination location moved, it would motivate trolls to do it more often.

I only ever move the location if there's no other existing stops around it that would contend with possible cell placement, or actually help someone if their location was placed less than 20 meters from another one and I want it to appear in the game for them.

I’ve seen many “what’s the best location for this stop” reviews, I assume those are “the original and any suggested alternate locations” and it takes whatever people agree on via that

Since those never give context on nearby stops, all it takes is one reviewer of the original submission to “well actually” to likely undo any clever tweaking. Likewise, if you helpfully move a submission’s location off of the obvious point to help the submitter, followup confirmation reviews are likely to go with the original visually-correct location and all you’ll get out of it is a disagreement.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Saoshyant posted:

Yo, X13fen (sic?), we are one gift away from best buddies I think. Are we coordinating to open eggs?

I'm glad I checked the thread today. Yeah, if you open I'll remember to pop an egg next time I log in :)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

X13Fen posted:

I'm glad I checked the thread today. Yeah, if you open I'll remember to pop an egg next time I log in :)

Neat, thanks. I'll be opening it up later today, which should be tomorrow for you. 23:40 UTC.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
What should I be prepared for in an EX raid? I got an EX raid pass to one today

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Have some psychic counters ready. There should be enough people that you'll be just fine

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

pathetic little tramp posted:

At least where I’m at people tend to start the raid as soon as the egg hatches so it’s best to get there 5-10 minutes early to get your phone up and ready to go. It should be pretty easy to catch with golden razz+great throws. Are the ex raids still regigigas or did niantic do a stealth announcement I missed?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I completely forgot Regi got rotated into EX raids.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Neat, thanks. I'll be opening it up later today, which should be tomorrow for you. 23:40 UTC.

No worries!

Coffee_Break
Apr 30, 2008
Okay, it took me forever but I finally beat Arlo and this week found Giovanni and beat him as well. Yay. They did nerf Arlo as I'd been at it for weeks and had to wait to build up revives to try again. And the quest starts again....
Though I am thrilled to have party hat wurmple as my buddy as he's AMAZING!! :D

Thanks again to all my friends through SA, you're all the best!

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

I'm probably too late but Regigigas is just normal type so get all your strong fighting types and throw them at it. Its charge attacks are normal/fighting/electric type and they're all big one-bar hitters so if you care about dodging them they should be easy but there's no moveset Regigigas can have that would make you have to reconsider fighting types against it.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Womp womp

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

As glad as I am to see the party hat mon gently caress right off, I did hatch a shiny hat wurmple which was cool.

PanicRelicanth, you and I are set to become BEST FRIENDZ in two days; if you trip it would you please give me the heads up so I can pop an egg when I log in, thanks!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Latios and Latias raid weekend. Whee. Not many are interested. People want new shinies, like Diagla!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cowslips Warren posted:

Latios and Latias raid weekend. Whee. Not many are interested. People want new shinies, like Diagla!

where the gently caress is my shiny altered origin giratina gently caress

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 17, 2020

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Didn't we have shiny altered already? I want my shiny originsssss

Also I guess it's not above Niantic to do more rounds of already-shiny legendaries while other ones haven't gotten shiny releases yet.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
EX raid was indeed Regigigas. Don't tell Niantic, but my friend couldn't make it so I played for her with her credentials on my old phone, tsk tsk.

Caught regigigas for her after one throw; on my own I went through 7 golden razz, every throw a curved great or better and it still fled, hahaha. Terrible drat luck.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

As glad as I am to see the party hat mon gently caress right off, I did hatch a shiny hat wurmple which was cool.

PanicRelicanth, you and I are set to become BEST FRIENDZ in two days; if you trip it would you please give me the heads up so I can pop an egg when I log in, thanks!

I just opened your gift so I think you should be good to pop an egg next time you log in!

Jealous of everyone who actually got party worms :(

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
My raid battle was interrupted for WARNING: THERE'S WEATHER. LOOK OUT FOR WEATHER. THESE TYPES ARE BOOSTED..."

Every five minutes. I swear. gently caress off with that poo poo.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Today I walked a mile in freezing rain in the dark to a child's playground to catch a pokemon. halp

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

My raid battle was interrupted for WARNING: THERE'S WEATHER. LOOK OUT FOR WEATHER. THESE TYPES ARE BOOSTED..."

Every five minutes. I swear. gently caress off with that poo poo.

Brisbane was doing that a few weeks ago when the air quality got low because the wind blew some of the bushfire smoke in. It didn't care much about the 46 degree heat back home though.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

CubeTheory posted:

Today I walked a mile in freezing rain in the dark to a child's playground to catch a pokemon. halp

What was it

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Feebas. First one I've seen in my area. Milotic is one of my favorite pokemon.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Hardcore resolve, but Feebas also hatches from 10km eggs so you'll be seeing plenty of it in the future. But, at least you've got a buddy to work up candy with now! Good luck to you.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Panic Restaurant posted:

I just opened your gift so I think you should be good to pop an egg next time you log in!

Jealous of everyone who actually got party worms :(

So I ended up tripping it, please pop an egg when you log in next!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

where the gently caress is my shiny altered origin giratina gently caress

or palkia or dialga

jfc I just want some poo poo that’s actually useful and that I don’t already have a bunch of

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I can finally take down Heatran with just my main account and alt account. :woop:

Back in the T5 game in this otherwise PoGo desolate neighborhood.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Hardcore resolve, but Feebas also hatches from 10km eggs so you'll be seeing plenty of it in the future. But, at least you've got a buddy to work up candy with now! Good luck to you.

Of course I hatched one this morning. Great IVs though, so I'm not exactly upset.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hatching them from eggs gives you a hell of a lot of candy, so it’s not useless regardless of IVs!

But I’m sitting on 800 feebas candy from so many hatches soooooooo

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

X13Fen posted:

No worries!

Hey you! We just became lucky friends somehow! That means you have to come visit my country so I can get the guaranteed lucky trade! And I won't hear any words to the contrary.

CubeTheory posted:

Feebas. First one I've seen in my area. Milotic is one of my favorite pokemon.

Don't evolve it til you get the quest for it, or you'll looove spending the extra year collecting candy for that mission.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I can finally take down Heatran with just my main account and alt account. :woop:

What mons are you using and what are their levels?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Bestbuddy111111, I'm going to open your present at the start of the CD around here, which is a bit more than 9 hours from now.

Also, it took me way longer than it should have because I usually spent my daily passes on legendary raids, but I started soloing Machamps this week. Feels good to be finally able to do this, though it seems I'm already at the point where they're a pushover.

L35 Guardevoir, a Honchkrow and 3 Espeons at L30. The last one is an Alakazam, but the fights don't last that long.

I guess when you can reliably beat tier 3 raids and Rocket bosses, that's about it for solo PvE content, right? I guess I now I'll grind levels to see how much tougher Rocket fights get with scaling.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

What mons are you using and what are their levels?

For duoing Heatran, my main is using the following party:
* Garchomp (Level 40, 93% IVs, CP 3928, Mud Shot/Earthquake)
* Excadrill (Level 40, 98% IVs, CP 3237, Mud-Slap/Drill Run)
* Groudon (Level 37, 93% IVs, CP 3903 Mud Shot/Earthquake)
* Rhyperior (Level 40, 98% IVs, CP 3719, Mud-Slap/Earthquake)
* Golem (Level 40, 96% IVs, CP 2935, Mud-Slap/Earthquake)
* Golurk (Level 40, 87% IVs, CP 2813, Mud-Slap/Earth Power)

At the time of my clear, my alt was using the following:
* Rhyperior (Level 33, ??? IVs, CP 3151, Mud-Slap/Earthquake)
* Rhyperior (Level 30, ??? IVs, CP 3145, Mud-Slap/Earthquake)
* Rhyperior (Level 28.5, ??? IVs, CP 2970, Mud-Slap/Earthquake)
* Mamoswine (Level 30, ??? IVs, CP 2765, Mud-Slap/Bulldoze)
* Machamp (Level 30, ??? IVs, CP 2413, Counter/Dynamic Punch)
* Machamp (Level 28, ??? IVs, CP 2335, Counter/Dynamic Punch)

I try to aim for only powering up high IV 'mon on my main, but for my alt I took the sane approach: getting just enough candy to evolve something once on my alt to reduce the trading cost, then trading over whatever high level/poor IV spares I had available on my main for a very tiny stardust cost, or using whatever highest level one I had. IVs are largely ignored on my alt.

When Heatran came back to raids, I knew it could be taken down with a duo that had good ground attackers, which I had ready on my main, but I only had one decent ground counter on my alt: a Mamoswine that I had evolved to let me transfer over some from my main for doing Dragonite duos. I needed more than just one Mamoswine, though, so I kept building up my counters: I started off by taking down a Breloom T2 raid then trading over a half dozen Breloom w/Grass Knot to my alt so that I had proper counters for duoing the Rhydon/Golem T4 raids. Then I followed up with taking down a T3 Machamp raid to be able to transfer over some Machamp to let me duo the T4 Excadrill raids.

That got me a good head start on candy, but it wasn't quite enough to finish building up a set of counters. Thankfully my alt has some outrageous luck when it comes to getting rare candies as raid rewards (often getting several times more per raid than my main account does) so I was able to dump a ton to let me evolve a Rhyperior, which I was then able to pass over two more from my main account. The Machamp have been replaced by two Excadrill that I caught since then, but I'm still building up some extra candy to power them up because I've got no high level hand-me-downs I can send over from my main.

Note: it was still a pretty close duo that required my main to re-lobby once and my alt twice. Took it down with ten seconds left on the clock. I'm hoping the two Excadrill I have now will be able to provide some extra wiggle room once they're leveled up, but if Heatran has a fire charge move they're going to melt in one hit regardless so we'll see how that goes. :toot:

I am eager for more double weakness T5 raids coming. Landorus is going to be a hoot: double weak to ice and my main will have a 6x level 40 Mamoswine army ready for it, and my alt will have a bunch of level level 30 Mamoswine/Weavile/Glaceon too from my Dragonite duos. If they don't give it T6 HP it should go down just as easily.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 19, 2020

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Hey you! We just became lucky friends somehow! That means you have to come visit my country so I can get the guaranteed lucky trade! And I won't hear any words to the contrary.

Again??

Okay

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Do I get any cool club patches or badges for being stopped and hassled by the police? Or does it have to happen ten times before I get the badge?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

CubeTheory posted:

Do I get any cool club patches or badges for being stopped and hassled by the police? Or does it have to happen ten times before I get the badge?

The local cops know me by name and recognize my car from how often i've been questioned at this point. I think i've even converted a few into playing :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The PoGo group I used to raid with one apartment/city ago had a guy threaten to call the cops on us once. We were gathering for a raid at a local elderly community.

The tenants of the community told the guy off because they played the game too and wouldn't be able to do raids at the gym there without the rest of us gathering to help.

Man I miss that community so much.