Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
4/4 fliers for 4 need significant upsides to be standard playable and this one already has the upside/downside of being an enchantment

for example, doom whisperer is a 4/4 flier for 4, and its upside is that it is actually a 6/6, and its downside is that it costs 5 mana. (it also has a useful activated ability)

[the actual joke is that doom whisperer is like desecration demon and abyssal persecutor where it's a 6/6 flier with trample for 4 with a downside, except its downside is that it costs 5)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Like, Shepherd could be a 0/1 for 4 and it would still be absolutely worth casting for 4. It could be a non-creature enchantment and it would be worth it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
pro tip: kill the nightmare shepherd first

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I prefer playing it personally ;)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

I reiterate: who the gently caress made Nightmare SHepherd 4 mana?!

E: I am not remotely regretting my choice to craft 4 of them as my first rares from the set.

Who made Thassia 4 mana, for that manner? Free blink every turn and it's indestructible?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Who made Thassia 4 mana, for that manner? Free blink every turn and it's indestructible?

Not if you make them sac it it's not. Had that work already today.

There definitely are some very weird costs in this set thoguh.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

thespaceinvader posted:

Like, Shepherd could be a 0/1 for 4 and it would still be absolutely worth casting for 4. It could be a non-creature enchantment and it would be worth it.

stop posting

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Is there something wrong with what I said?

This is from experience in play, where most of the value of Shepherd has been in its text, not its stats.

I would be perfectly happy with that text on a smaller creature, or not a creature, at 4 mana.

Am I wrong in thinking that? If so, please do explain why.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

thespaceinvader posted:

This is from experience in play, where most of the value of Shepherd has been in its text, not its stats.

I would be perfectly happy with that text on a smaller creature, or not a creature, at 4 mana.

It's valuable for the text and body but if it was any smaller it'd be too easy to kill with damage removal. A non-creature enchantment version for the same price would be mostly unplayable even as a sideboard card against control decks. And while the card is valuable for the text, also presenting a body that can fly over the enemy is pretty key.

It's a good card but not an oppressively good one, I think.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

thespaceinvader posted:

It can already potentially trade down with 2-3 mana removal without affecting the board, if it was a 0/1 that would go down to 1 mana removal (technically that's already possible with mystic repeal, as a result of another one of Sheperd's downsides).

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
Dream Trawler was really undervalued going in to this set and it is absolutely over performing. Uro is definitely not the new Oko, but both it and Kroxa are really loving good when you pair them with Lazav.

This is my current Sultai Uro deck that I'm having good success with:

Deck
4 Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath (THB) 229
3 Island (MIR) 336
2 Swamp (MIR) 340
4 Lazav, the Multifarious (GRN) 184
2 Forest (MIR) 347
4 Arboreal Grazer (WAR) 149
4 Dryad of the Ilysian Grove (THB) 169
4 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
3 Cavalier of Night (M20) 94
3 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
4 Discovery // Dispersal (GRN) 223
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
1 Temple of Malady (M20) 254
1 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
1 Temple of Deceit (THB) 245

The only thing I'm considering changing at the moment is the Arboreal Grazer / Dryad / Growth Spiral, because it's a lot of redundancy.

seizure later fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 18, 2020

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

A Moose posted:

. I just beat Izzet Flash without a sideboard in Bo3.

OK so I got to account level 25 and got another batch of precon decks unlocked and the Izzet League one looks like extremely my jam. Card draws and copies and blasting away and bizarre combos. So I would like to know what this competitive Izzet deck is, TIA.

Kinda mad I can't punch the bot for my quests any more though :mad:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SuperKlaus posted:

OK so I got to account level 25 and got another batch of precon decks unlocked and the Izzet League one looks like extremely my jam. Card draws and copies and blasting away and bizarre combos. So I would like to know what this competitive Izzet deck is, TIA.

Kinda mad I can't punch the bot for my quests any more though :mad:

something like this but it's a tier 2 (or worse?) deck before the new set that just came out, and this list doesn't have any of the new cards in it.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Nyxbloom Ancient + Nyx Lotus is the funniest loving thing I have seen in this game. Why yes, I would like to Finale of Devastation for 40, thank you.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
So I finally got a chance to mess around with Theros and decided to be a basic bitch and slam together a mono-B aggro/devotion pile without much thought and just won 5 straight. Lol black devotion might be good ya'll.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Lone Goat posted:

something like this but it's a tier 2 (or worse?) deck before the new set that just came out, and this list doesn't have any of the new cards in it.

I don't think any of the new cards really fit into Izzet Flash except for Thessa's Intervention, although there is the pseudo-Wrath. There is also Izzet Phoenix/Izzet Dredge, which is I think closer to the precon deck, that did actually get some nice tools from this set. It wasn't very competitive before since it was inconsistent but it might be now, with the new Phoenix, escape cards in general, and being a great use case for Underworld Breach in Standard. I kind of want to try the Izzet Dredge deck but I don't have any of the older rares for it or the lands.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

RPZip posted:

I don't think any of the new cards really fit into Izzet Flash except for Thessa's Intervention, although there is the pseudo-Wrath. There is also Izzet Phoenix/Izzet Dredge, which is I think closer to the precon deck, that did actually get some nice tools from this set. It wasn't very competitive before since it was inconsistent but it might be now, with the new Phoenix, escape cards in general, and being a great use case for Underworld Breach in Standard. I kind of want to try the Izzet Dredge deck but I don't have any of the older rares for it or the lands.

Micheivous Chimera is OK i think?

And maybe the flash 4/5 flying giant?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Izzet is inherently disadvantaged in the Enchantments Matter set because it's the only colour combo that can't interact with resolved Enchantments short of Bounce -> Counter for the sweet self 2 for 1. It also lacks hard removal so anything that has a bigger butt than 4 Toughness or is one of the many Indestructibles will blank Red's damage based removal. Basically for Izzet to function your gameplan will revolve around delaying your opponent from getting anything scary on the board as long as you can to put together whatever it is you need to deal 20 to the face.

Alternatively you can play Temur Reclamation which combines Blue draw and Red burn with Green mana ramp so you can pop someone in the head for 16 damage off 6 lands.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ManMythLegend posted:

So I finally got a chance to mess around with Theros and decided to be a basic bitch and slam together a mono-B aggro/devotion pile without much thought and just won 5 straight. Lol black devotion might be good ya'll.

I’m really not seeing anything on the power level of Mono-B devotion right now. All of your cards play so well together in any combination and everything you do floes over the top of CatFood strats, Nightmare Shepherds and Gray Merchants are very safe pick ups

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

So that's what Nessian Boar is for

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Thassa Elementals deck is real as hell

https://www.streamdecker.com/deck/nrgD1SkaG

Risen Reef is back bois

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ah, I see Izzet refers to blue/red decks in general. I was just having a blast with the precon firing off draw and copy and ping combos that I didn't even understand. Also having been away from Magic for a long time it's been nice coming back to see such high-quality artwork and theming all around. This izzet precon is lightning techowizards and the Rakdos deck I like is death carnival cultists and it's all quite cool. Outstanding representations of PoC too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

Ah, I see Izzet refers to blue/red decks in general. I was just having a blast with the precon firing off draw and copy and ping combos that I didn't even understand. Also having been away from Magic for a long time it's been nice coming back to see such high-quality artwork and theming all around. This izzet precon is lightning techowizards and the Rakdos deck I like is death carnival cultists and it's all quite cool. Outstanding representations of PoC too.

Check the OP for all the colour combo jargon, it's super useful.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

SuperKlaus posted:

If you want an Izzet deck with an unusual playstyle, Izzet Phoenix is back in Standard with a few of the new Theros cards. It's (comparatively) light on rares/mythics so it could be something to upgrade towards.

If you haven't seen the deck, the idea is to dump your Phoenixes into your graveyard with self-mill/self-discard and then endlessly yank them out with cantrips. It's difficult for your opponents to interact with once it gets going, although in Best of 3 you'll have to fight through graveyard-hate.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I REALLY love MTG_Joe budget series. He works on the same deck and has a low, mid and high cost variant. Here's the first one for Theros, Mono B Devotion:

https://aetherhub.com/Article/Budget-Build-Series---Mono-Black-Devotion

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I forgot to post about it, but good job Arena thread - the mono white pile we drafted went 6-3! I'll do the same when I get around to theros draft, it was nice to see some people have good discussion about the early picks

Liquid Banjo
Dec 23, 2009

full of mama's homemade pemmican
Gruul deckers, what do we think about Gallia and Klothys? Any slotting out for them?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I haven't been paying attention to most of what's been going on in the latter half of Eldraine or anything in this new set, I kind of want to jump back in but it also seems like a lot of effort.

I got two Thassa's Oracles in my PlayTheros packs so maybe I see if my current Sultai self-mill deck might be viable with a few tweaks lol

Also the owl is unfortunately not as cool as previous pets but oh well

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Liquid Banjo posted:

Gruul deckers, what do we think about Gallia and Klothys? Any slotting out for them?

I'm with whoever aswered when I made the same suggestion - I'm dubious about Gallia, I'm not sure there are enough satyrs to actually make her work, and without any other synergies around the keyword, it's not going to work that well when you don't draw her or she gets removed.

Klothys is... interesting. Without your own graveyard filling (and other than just casting instants and sorceeries, there aren't many in the colours that will be out early enough to matter, and almost none that will put lands there specifically except fetch lands and maybe Cavalier of Thorns), you're going to struggle to reliably use the power, but if you do build around it, it can be solid ramp - but there are plenty of ramp creatures/enchants/artifacts with less strict requirements and usage limits. Definitely low on the list of goodness for gods, for me, though. But, still a cheap indestructible 4/5 is nothing to be sniffed at if you can meet the devotion requirement, which you plausibly could the turn after you play it.

I suspect Renata, Nylea and Purphoros are all better for the gruul deck than either, and even those are not outstanding.

Gruul definitely got some interesting goodies, but I suspect the best ones are things like Ox of Agonas, Terror of Mount Velus, Destiny Spinner (in particular, a cheap 2/3 that makes your creatures uncounterable is excellent), Arasta of the Endless Web, and the wide range of interesting auras along with Storm Herald (Setessan Training, Impending Doom, Mantle of the Wolf, and Warbriar's Blessing are all interesting to me).

There'a a lot of goodness in red and green in the new set but I don't think Gallia or Klothys are it. The only Gruul-specific card that might be is Warden of the Chained, which is another in the list of generally efficient gruul creatures, but not as good as, say, Spellbreaker.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 18, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Liquid Banjo posted:

Klothys is absolutely the bomb-rear end 3 drop Gruul has been dreaming of. There are just so many draws where she’s online and immediately beating face. I think she’s very strong in that setup and she’s absolutely fine if you never attack with her.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

I'm new enough to playing white that I assumed Shatter wouldn't kill Nissa lands.

Between that happy surprise and Dream Trawler being absolutely filthy, today has been fun.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lost a couple of games but then I won off a shame concede when someone cracked a Fabled Passage into my Ashiok. I might just jump back into this.

Since Theros has a bunch of graveyard plays there must be some new tools for this Jace-Tamiyo-Ashiok core I have, right

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Since Theros has a bunch of graveyard plays there must be some new tools for this Jace-Tamiyo-Ashiok core I have, right
You can probably combo Lavaz with the new titan while your walkers mill you sure

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Haven't had too much of this new set spoiled but I'm kind of disappointed wi-

I...must....make.....four

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

If you Nightmare Shepherd Polukranos, does the copy come into play with the 1/1 tokens...?

Yes! Except now it's a 1/1 with 6 growth counters instead of a 0/0 with 6 growth counters.

I just got run over by a Sultai deck featuring Polukranos and Thassa and lots and lots of ETB poo poo for Thassa to abuse.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I've been testing Clackbridge Troll as a sideboard card for Mono-B vs aggro decks and it has been putting up some good results. Massacre Girl competes for that slot but more often than not I've found MG to not be able to drop a board wipe, and troll just ends up gaining me a bunch of life until I get Gary or something else

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
Staggering insight made me want to try an Azorious tempo deck along the lines of the old mono blue tempo. Alseid of life's bounty can (mostly) do the same job as siren stormtamer, you get to use Teferi and brazen borrower works well, but not having spell pierce hurts, and so does the key enchantment being more expensive. Has anyone else tried this?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Gruulchat: Phoenix of Ash is a decent include (just watch out for that double-red requirement, Hylea is not. It's hard to creaturize her if you're not pretty green heavy and her activated ability isn't worth it on its own.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Staggering insight made me want to try an Azorious tempo deck along the lines of the old mono blue tempo. Alseid of life's bounty can (mostly) do the same job as siren stormtamer, you get to use Teferi and brazen borrower works well, but not having spell pierce hurts, and so does the key enchantment being more expensive. Has anyone else tried this?
Yeah I tooled around with it, you run Vandal as well but you're kinda lacking critical mass for fliers it works well with. There's probably something there since the key group of cards don't rotate but it felt like you really needed to line things up correctly.

Insight is an unreal beating. If you untap and slap it on a borrower it's an insanely fast clock you can protect from cheap removal with god's willing and alseid. So there might be something there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I haven't played since the mid 90's and during a brief loss of sanity, I started playing this. I have to say it's not to bad. Used all the free codes I could find for packs and then got the starter kit and battle pass. I have a passable white weenie deck that I am slowly filling out. I am looking at playing a sealed deck soon any tips?

Raged fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 19, 2020