Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Vox are garbage, out for clicks
An expert explains why Burberry, H&M, Nike, and Urban Outfitters destroy unsold merch — and what it says about consumer culture. https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/9/17/17852294/fashion-bra...
If you're totally freaked out about wheat products on a second hand product (Yes, it was bought as new and looks gross) your great grand parents would be ashamed of you, that's privilege.
Just return it if you must. This one story is not worth the millions of views it's getting.
A working product should be destroyed because it had old food on it? That's fine, but don't pretend next week you are an amazing human who recycles.
Humans still work at Amazon and they make mistakes do we really need blood on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

power botton posted:

proven and efficient hyperloops in every major city.

well there's your problem

joking aside, "take all the coal money" really is something we need to do

The US coal industry (and UK and a lot of other countries) literally can't sustain itself without government subsidy. Since everyone wants capitalism, that should be removed and the coal industry be allowed to fail, right? Regardless of your philosophy, if that were removed, the assets of those industries seized, and the resources put towards putting sustainable research into practice, rolling out carbon scrubbers, etc. etc. Things would immediately be better on that front.

It feels like Freddie Kruger is walking up the driveway, the phone lines are cut, etc. etc. and everyone's fussing about what to do, but ignoring the girl in the corner that says, just take the occupant's gun from the box in the kitchen, load it, and shoot him. And nobody wants to do that because they don't want to take the home owner's property, or they don't want to kill someone, or a billion other excuses.

Well one day Freddie Kruger's reaching that door, and people are going to die.

Anyway, something on-topic:

quote:

A potential way to solve this is randomness. Instead of every customer paying $3 per month, every customer has a 10% chance of paying $30 per month.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 19, 2020

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

asdff 19 minutes ago [-]

Any basic budget advice says to cut starbucks out of your life and make your $5 latte at home, but why stop there?

Caffeine pills work out to $0.05/cup-equivalent, aren't going to make you take bathroom trips, aren't going to give you bad breath, and aren't going to stain your teeth. I usually keep a few in my pocket in case I get randomly drowsy in a meeting or if I'm driving far. I haven't looked back, and I used to pull my own espresso and roast my beans.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

soylent user spotted

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're gonna start taking a go pill might as well just switch to amphetamines

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

MononcQc posted:

asdff 19 minutes ago [-]

Any basic budget advice says to cut starbucks out of your life and make your $5 latte at home, but why stop there?

Caffeine pills work out to $0.05/cup-equivalent, aren't going to make you take bathroom trips, aren't going to give you bad breath, and aren't going to stain your teeth. I usually keep a few in my pocket in case I get randomly drowsy in a meeting or if I'm driving far. I haven't looked back, and I used to pull my own espresso and roast my beans.

oof i did that in college and it taught me about mania

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

sounds scary but exciting, jesse

mystes
May 31, 2006

I like coffee but honestly the idea that drinking coffee for caffeine is good but taking caffeine pills is bad doesn't really make sense.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
it's really loving easy to od on caffeine pills compared to with coffee

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

MononcQc posted:

I usually keep a few in my pocket in case I get randomly drowsy in a meeting

you won't believe how much more of the cause is fixing these side effects!

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

works even better if you chop them up and snort them

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

im a fan of the guy seemingly roasting his own coffee at home, but it was all a cost-saving measure undone by pills

mystes
May 31, 2006

After the Tariff Act of 1883 taxed vegetables (but not fruits), produce seller John Nix — no relation to the package manager — sued to get tomatoes classified as a fruit.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

mystes posted:

After the Tariff Act of 1883 taxed vegetables (but not fruits), produce seller John Nix — no relation to the package manager — sued to get tomatoes classified as a fruit.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Jabor posted:

If you're gonna start taking a go pill might as well just switch to amphetamines

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jabor posted:

and you can make your insurance pay for it

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

xvector 1 hour ago [-]

I cannot wait until we cure aging so we can die on our own terms. The right to death should be as inalienable as the right to life, and nothing short of the heat death should be allowed to make this decision for a sentient being.

FeepingCreature 3 minutes ago [-]

Gonna be honest - once we have backups, I'm totally intending to go into seriously risky behaviors. So this is 100% the opposite of how I intend to live my life.

xvector 7 minutes ago [-]

I do not see this as a bad thing. I would rather live happily ever after than take life-ending risks.
That said, I disagree with the premise. Any true form of immortality would virtualize us. As individuals we would be able to take risks as never before. Paragliding through dangerous canyons? Why not? Worst case scenario your fleshy avatar dies, and you wait a few weeks in a virtual utopia as a new one is printed.

And even that is only if we choose to continue to confine ourselves to human qualia. Being virtualized would enable us to experience the universe in whole new ways - who would want to constrict themselves to mere human experiences ever again?

I think this short story explains these concept really well. Don’t worry about the cliche romance backstory - it was written in 1989: http://www.skyhunter.com/marcs/GentleSeduction.html

Whole lotta JavaScript monkeys who think magical computer immortality is just around the corner like their fsd robotaxi Teslas.

I mean I don't really.know anything about biology but I am willing to start the wiki!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
they thought the Culture novels were prognostication and not fantasy

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

mrmcd posted:

Whole lotta JavaScript monkeys who think magical computer immortality is just around the corner like their fsd robotaxi Teslas.

I mean I don't really.know anything about biology but I am willing to start the wiki!

Upload your brain to the blockchain. gently caress starting a wiki, let's get an Indiegogo Flexible funding going asap!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they thought the Culture novels were prognostication and not fantasy

if morphing into other species and genders isn't on the long term game plan for humanity then what's even the point of science

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
or religion for that matter

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
without a sharp uptick in computer security and a substantial curtailment of capitalism, brain uploads and custom-grown replacement bodies would be dystopian as gently caress

injured? buy a new body resembling your old one for 1.8 million dollars, or purchase one of our ad-supported standard models in exchange for 20% 50% 90% of your waking hours of slave labor for the next 40 years. clones with functioning tear ducts are an optional add-on. clones with genitals are an optional add-on. clones that do not experience seizures upon witnessing the logo of our competitors are an optional add-on. clones that do not have advertisements tattooed on their flesh are an optional add-on. clones that do not livestream their experiences for continuous customer feedback are an optional add-on

wanna exist in cyberspace? that'll be $20,000 a month for premium real-time mode, or save money by running at slower rates. sell parts of your memory or entire copies of your corpus to research projects for quick and easy cash! if you can't afford brain-hosting we'll keep you in cold storage for 1 year, during which time you become the legal property of anyone who pays your back-fees. rent any virtual environment you can afford, or use one of our subsidized worlds in which literally every object, texture, printed word, taste or smell is an advertisement

the amazon brain cloud regretfully announces that 80% of our customers have been hacked and illegally copied; we will strive to do better in the future

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

fit2rule 21 hours ago [-]

Medieval Italian artisans had their free market: the wealthy lords and the church. Competition among themselves for these resources produced innovation.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Internet Janitor posted:

without a sharp uptick in computer security and a substantial curtailment of capitalism, brain uploads and custom-grown replacement bodies would be dystopian as gently caress

injured? buy a new body resembling your old one for 1.8 million dollars, or purchase one of our ad-supported standard models in exchange for 20% 50% 90% of your waking hours of slave labor for the next 40 years. clones with functioning tear ducts are an optional add-on. clones with genitals are an optional add-on. clones that do not experience seizures upon witnessing the logo of our competitors are an optional add-on. clones that do not have advertisements tattooed on their flesh are an optional add-on. clones that do not livestream their experiences for continuous customer feedback are an optional add-on

wanna exist in cyberspace? that'll be $20,000 a month for premium real-time mode, or save money by running at slower rates. sell parts of your memory or entire copies of your corpus to research projects for quick and easy cash! if you can't afford brain-hosting we'll keep you in cold storage for 1 year, during which time you become the legal property of anyone who pays your back-fees. rent any virtual environment you can afford, or use one of our subsidized worlds in which literally every object, texture, printed word, taste or smell is an advertisement

the amazon brain cloud regretfully announces that 80% of our customers have been hacked and illegally copied; we will strive to do better in the future

Pretty fuckin much

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

imagine what you could do with this technology! *lists a bunch of stupid frivolities that would only benefit the rich*

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

fritz posted:

fit2rule 21 hours ago [-]

Medieval Italian artisans had their free market: the wealthy lords and the church. Competition among themselves for these resources produced innovation.

this incorrecting nuclear take just flew past DC and hit Indianapolis

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

lancemantis posted:

this incorrecting nuclear take just flew past DC and hit Indianapolis
good

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the demands and limitations of said elite literally stifle artistic expression

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

The Turkish education ministry announced a bold new initiative: They will be buying licenses and course material for 1 million trade school students for Delphi, a OO also ran from the 1990s.

The hackers are split into two tribes: Turkish expats laughing and wondering what government administrator got bribed this time, and Eurohackers just ripping the mask off and praising the move, because now those poor backward Turks will now be able to learn a bit of computer touching but not actually have marketable skills to compete with them for sweet figgie jobs in the EU.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

epicgiga 5 hours ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: Burnout: 'Sick and tired of feeling sick and tired...

A lot of companies are actively factoring this into their HR model.
Their model is to hire fresh people and burn them out.

Increasingly this is the direction western corporations are moving. Their ideal model is: place performance quotas above long term sustainability, people then burn themselves out, you then fire them for performance reasons, and you have them on an aggressive noncompete and threaten them with it when they try to work elsewhere after. Totally consume them. Basically institutionalised "f--k you", gleefully chewing up other human beings.

In some ways we're moving to something worse than slavery. At least with slaves they were seen as "assets" rather than "temporary rentals". They had to take care of them out of necessity, so their evil had that limit on it.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
woah this is the thread for bad takes thank you

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
no that post is entirely appropriate itt

the idea that slaves were well taken care of is revisionist lost-cause mythology / bullshit

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

also the people on hn are mostly white dudes making around six figures while complaining that they have it worse than slaves

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Jose Valasquez posted:

also the people on hn are mostly white dudes making around six figures while complaining that they have it worse than slaves

yospos is it u??

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the six figgie fucktards in the pos, the ones who admit to it anyway, generally admit they have it really good. such as me. I’m a fucktard but get a comfortable life anyway. everyone should have it this good. equality of outcome, not opportunity

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
all those slaves throughout history that lived long and healthy lives lmao

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it's because hn posters have so deeply entangled their identities with the capitalist mode of production that the only way they can describe alienation from their work is analogy to slavery

there is no other rhetoric left in their empty, newspeak-ridden brains

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nomnom Cookie posted:

the six figgie fucktards in the pos, the ones who admit to it anyway, generally admit they have it really good. such as me. I’m a fucktard but get a comfortable life anyway. everyone should have it this good. equality of outcome, not opportunity

this term is deprecated, find a new one

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
my bosses arent terribly interested in my long term health and well being, which is in a lot of ways worse than being raped and beaten and having my child taken from me and sold away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Xik posted:

all those slaves throughout history that lived long and healthy lives lmao
George Washington's slaves had a great dental plan!