Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Well what I mean is the new cards that were released weren't showing much of a performance bump over a 1080 or whatever, in terms of what a 1080 could already do, so people weren't compelled to spend all that cash on 5% more FPS or whatever, which ain't good for sales

The real extra performance and capability was kinda gated behind RTX features, which didn't exist to 10xx owners - but by allowing raytracing on those cards, which ran badly, it basically showed everyone what they were missing and how they weren't seeing their games at their full potential. Like unlocking an Ultra setting for everyone that they can't actually use. You can turn it on and get a taste, but now high performance is out of reach, unless you upgrade... :homebrew:

In terms of absolute power, the 2080 Ti is ~66% performance boost over the 1080, but you’d need to be cranking up settings on a 1440p monitor and pair it with a fast cpu or be running at 4K to actually take advantage of the (ridiculously expensive) performance boost. And then you’ll still have the same problem that you’re talking about with the 2060/2070/2080 - RTX reduces performance enough that you’d really need a lower-resolution monitor if you want to maintain settings and higher frame rates.

I agree with your main point though - Pascal cards are totally sufficient for games that are on the market now, and outside of niche folks moving up to the 2080 Ti there wasn’t (and isn’t) much incentive to upgrade if you already have a Pascal card. That goes double for the 1080 and 1080 Ti because the only real upgrade is the 2080 Ti.

Hopefully Ampere (or whatever ends up as the next consumer line) will ditch the tensor cores and shake things up a bit.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Will I like Cossacks 3 if I like old RTS games like Age of Empires 2 and the time period? I've never played one of those and apparently the one on Steam is some sort of remake?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's me, the one person who might be vaguely interested in a Kingpin remaster. But I'm fond of retro FPS games and it at least has some kind of vision and some actual ideas even if it's old and weird and brown.

Daikatana remaster when?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azran posted:

Will I like Cossacks 3 if I like old RTS games like Age of Empires 2 and the time period? I've never played one of those and apparently the one on Steam is some sort of remake?

Cossacks 3 is essentially a remake of Cossacks 1 but also not entirely. The entire history of the series is a bit bizarre, it's definitely a sort of left field Total War-lite meets Age of Empires.

If you're looking for a SP RTS campaign it has a very good one with two caveats;
  • Missions can be absurdly long. Literal hours.
  • The missions occasionally require some level of trial and error, which can be mitigated simply by playing well but you will almost certainly at some point have to restart a mission and they only restart from the beginning, ever.

Cossacks is a series getting made for people who have loved it since the first one, much like Stronghold and it is aggressively uninterested in changing itself to meet modern standards. That said if you like fairly complex RTSes with surprisingly good challenge, it's not bad at all.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

sauer kraut posted:

Could you stop repeating that (and that RTX cores take up all the space, it's about 5% iirc)
The 2080 is a whopping 40% faster on average than a 1080 in conventional games.
You can take umbrage that's it's not sold at a similar price point due to being a massive chip/7nm not being ready or whatever was behind the decision to use a special node.
But the performance bump is absolutely there, and RTX is not a big factor. The 1660ti is just as humongous for a midrange chip, all 12nm Turings are.

What throws it even more is you have consider resolution. For a long time 1080p was the end all be all but now pc user have to consider if they are going to stay at 1080p, move up 2k or hell go all in and play at 4k. I love my 1060 GTX but it's starting to get real long in the tooth once I got a 2k monitor.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'm just going to get a 3080ti because it will probably come with Cyberpunk 2077 anyway and it's time to upgrade this year. That's the only brand loyalty I have, whoever offers me the best game when I build a new system.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BexGu posted:

What throws it even more is you have consider resolution. For a long time 1080p was the end all be all but now pc user have to consider if they are going to stay at 1080p, move up 2k or hell go all in and play at 4k. I love my 1060 GTX but it's starting to get real long in the tooth once I got a 2k monitor.

2k and 1440 are the same thing, right?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Mordja posted:

Yeah. I've priced myself out of anything less then a 2070 now and probably going to do the same thing as Givin.

Then I'm going to go straight back to playing 2d indie games.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

orcane posted:

There are a handful of games where the old generation's relative power to the new card is slightly less than when the RTX generation came out. The difference is nowhere near significant enough unless you're trying to get the last 5% out of a card for high refresh rate e-sports or absurd resolutions at "must never move any slider from the highest option" details. By the time that becomes an actual issue for a GTX 1070 Ti/1080/1080 Ti there will be an even newer generation of GPUs out.

I mean if you just want to dismiss 10-20% more performance that's showing up in newer games and tell people to buy old GPUs because new games will continue to perform like old games, go ahead, but you're wrong. Used 10-series cards are now generally speaking overpriced for the performance they offer in the latest and upcoming games. Trying to frame what I said as "everyone should go out and buy a Turing card right now" is deliberately stupid and you know it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I play at 4k with a 1060 and it's fine for all but like one game a year where it's an Assassin's Creed or a No Mans Sky and I have to actually manually turn things off to get a comfortable framerate.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ghostlight posted:

I play at 4k with a 1060 and it's fine for all but like one game a year where it's an Assassin's Creed or a No Mans Sky and I have to actually manually turn things off to get a comfortable framerate.

Looks like "fine" is gearing up for a strongman competition with all the heavy lifting its doing here.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ever since I got a gsync monitor I haven't really had much desiro to get a new gpu to replace my 1070. Variable refresh rate does a ton of work.

I can definitely work with this for a year or two more

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Andrast posted:

Ever since I got a gsync monitor I haven't really had much desiro to get a new gpu to replace my 1070. Variable refresh rate does a ton of work.

I can definitely work with this for a year or two more

Yeah, GSync is nice, but man I'm feeling that 32-42 avg fps in RDR2 pretty hard and I start getting starry eyed thinking about a card that could run it at a stable 60.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mordja posted:

I figured it was 2.5k.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

As long as we're having this conversation - someone in the computer building thread recommended I upgrade my GTX 960 to 1660 Super / TI as a reasonably priced improvement. Local graphic card experts - opinions?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The 1660 is pretty much the best you can currently get on a price/performance ratio, so that's a solid recommendation. You're likely to get at least a 60-70% performance increase out of that.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 18, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Xander77 posted:

As long as we're having this conversation - someone in the computer building thread recommended I upgrade my GTX 960 to 1660 Super / TI as a reasonably priced improvement. Local graphic card experts - opinions?

In the US, that’s generally great advice for the $200-300 range, and would pretty much double your performance. Don’t pay much more for a Ti than a super, though - they’re very close. New 2060s just dropped in price, too, so it might be worth comparing the price of the cheapest 2060 models. On the lower end, non-suffix 1660s have occasionally been selling for fire sale prices, and they’d still be a big upgrade. Worth considering if they’re sufficiently cheaper than the super.

Whichever you go with, I’d stick to dual or triple-fan models. Single-fan models are hotter and louder and often have reduced performance, so they’re usually not worth it unless you need one to fit a tiny case or they’re really cheap.

E: Here’s some comprehensive gaming benchmarks (ultra/very high settings) for the 1660, 1660 super, and 1660 Ti. Also, the 2060, 5700, and 2060 super.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 18, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's also reasonable to consider that the 960 still has enough value to be worth your time selling it, so now is not a terrible time to upgrade.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Wasn't a new AMD card in the 1660 Super segment supposed to be announced this coming tuesday? Or something like that.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I'm really confused about how the "What's New" section gets its items in the Library View.
It seems to bring back items that I've explicitly removed, or show news from a month back. Thus, it's pretty much 80% garbage consistently.

Meanwhile, the store front had and still has a "Recently Updated" list (but you have to scroll down to see it) that is more succinct, more up to date, and frankly more interesting.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mordja posted:

i hate so much that we abruptly switched fomr using the vertical resolution to the horizontal resolution

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ technically 4K is something else, and you should be saying UHD, but lol marketing industry

2K is 2048x1080, 4K is double that in each dimension

sauer kraut posted:

Could you stop repeating that (and that RTX cores take up all the space, it's about 5% iirc)
The 2080 is a whopping 40% faster on average than a 1080 in conventional games.
You can take umbrage that's it's not sold at a similar price point due to being a massive chip/7nm not being ready or whatever was behind the decision to use a special node.
But the performance bump is absolutely there, and RTX is not a big factor. The 1660ti is just as humongous for a midrange chip, all 12nm Turings are.

hey I don't care personally, I game on a 1050 on a laptop :frogbon:

I'm not talking about specs or how big a thing is, just repeating the general complaint that people had when the stuff came out, that it didn't really provide much of a usable performance increase over the top Pascal cards which were already chewing through games at max settings - so people with those weren't upgrading, and people with slower cards who wanted to trade up were looking at the 1080 as a cheaper option that basically did what they needed. So enabling RTX features on non-RTX hardware was a way to introduce a perceived limitation and generate a bit more interest in the new cards, that's all I was saying!

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 18, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

baka kaba posted:

2K is 2048x1080, 4K is double that in each dimension

Does 1440p have a fancy name? Or is that it? I honestly thought that was 2K til I read that.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Does 1440p have a fancy name? Or is that it? I honestly thought that was 2K til I read that.

WQHD or quad HD.

1440p is easier to understand though imo.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

like basically 2K and 4K are video production standards, they're a little wider than the closest resolutions we use in displays - 2K is 2048 x 1080, so that's almost what we call 1080p/i (officially it's called FHD), but it's not the same. UHD is what we call "4K", but it's different - you basically double the dimensions in each case, so real 4K is still that bit wider

except there's another UHD that's double that so they get called 4K UHD and 8K UHD lol

Sininu posted:

WQHD or quad HD.

1440p is easier to understand though imo.

how much easier do you want it!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

baka kaba posted:

Yeah.. I never use these acronyms myself. I don't know like 90% of them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

baka kaba posted:

like basically 2K and 4K are video production standards, they're a little wider than the closest resolutions we use in displays - 2K is 2048 x 1080, so that's almost what we call 1080p/i (officially it's called FHD), but it's not the same. UHD is what we call "4K", but it's different - you basically double the dimensions in each case, so real 4K is still that bit wider

except there's another UHD that's double that so they get called 4K UHD and 8K UHD lol

I like it when the video game graphics make things go boom :downs:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What resolution is the horse's butthole in RDR2?

Orv
May 4, 2011

What resolution is the horse's butthole in RDR2?

Rectal megatextures.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Gaming above 1080p is bougie, follow LowSpecGamer.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the gently caress kinda resolution is 2048x1080 :psyduck:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

What's a good podcast game? I've been working my way through the Critical Role backlog and I'd like something to occupy my hands and part of my brain while I'm listening. I've been mostly using Dead Cells, but I want to mix it up a bit.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

That's DCI 2K, one of the standards used for digital cinema video. They use a slightly different aspect ratio to consumer displays so DCI 4K is 4096x2160 rather than consumer 4Ks 3840x2160, and likewise for DCI 2K vs consumer 1080p.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Ciaphas posted:

2K, they said right there.

SirSamVimes posted:

What's a good podcast game? I've been working my way through the Critical Role backlog and I'd like something to occupy my hands and part of my brain while I'm listening. I've been mostly using Dead Cells, but I want to mix it up a bit.

I have the worst time trying to concentrate on two things at the same time but the turn-based nature of Slay the Spire helps a lot. I still do some rewinding but its a good enough.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

baka kaba posted:

It doesn't even mention 1440p.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SirSamVimes posted:

I have been podcast fiending on Elite Dangerous and Car Mechanic Sim. And before that Farm Mechanic Sim.

I realize that's going to be a hard sell for most people so maybe pick out some genres, podcast game is more of a type present in most genres than its own by the time you need recommendations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

SirSamVimes posted:

My go-to for Critical Role is Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

repiv posted:

That's DCI 2K, one of the standards used for digital cinema video. They use a slightly different aspect ratio to consumer displays so DCI 4K is 4096x2160 rather than consumer 4Ks 3840x2160, and likewise for DCI 2K vs consumer 1080p.

Huh, neat.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

SirSamVimes posted:

Path of Exile, Stardew Valley, one of the Truck Simulators are my go-tos. Or Coloring Pixels if I'm feeling really fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Path of Exile, Stardew Valley, one of the Truck Simulators are my go-tos. Or Coloring Pixels if I'm feeling really fancy.
I´ve been hankering for a new ARPG, since Diablo 3 has gone a bit stale for me and I´ve had my eyes on Path of Exile but got intimidated by the atlas that is the skilltree and the giant amount of features in the game.