Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I’ve gotten a dozen postcards similar to what the op described, that’s just how they market. They’re addressed to Neighbor or something similar but not personalized if I remember right. I just trash them immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

IDK if I'm remembering NextDoor or something similar, but the service I'm thinking of makes you put in an address that corresponds to whatever neighborhood you signed up under, then they send account verification via snail mail.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nextdoor is a local neighborhood chatgroup so they get signups through physical mailings to an address.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The went with 'Nextdoor' after 'Nosyneighbor' didn't test well with the focus groups

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
When I moved into my neighborhood I joined Nextdoor hoping for cookouts and block parties and community gardens. Instead I got people discussing how to drive a local strip club out of business by looking up license plate numbers and harassing its patrons.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation, y'all. I've just never seen any physical junk mail from Nextdoor so I couldn't figure out how someone signing up for an internet service got that crap in their mailbox. I guess because I never tried to sign up!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm perplexed by this. Isn't Nextdoor, as was said, an online thing like FB but for your neighborhood? Why would they be sending physical snail mail? What did the mail say? Was it addressed to you, or just "current resident"?

I've never used it or even seen it, just going on what I learn from these forums.

You can get them to send out up to 10 post cards to addresses in your neighborhood who aren't signed up, and get more for each address that signs up after they send them. It's to get more people on board, but pretty much only the nosy pearl clutching ones are the ones who use it. The ones just there to digitally people watch usually don't bother.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nextdoor is the greatest place on earth to troll people. I like to offer to purchase random cats and dogs that people have found.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Reminder, this is the best nextdoor thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/938972453409140736.html

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
sometimes I wonder if civilization just got to where it is from a massive branch of good rng.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

PhazonLink posted:

sometimes I wonder if civilization just got to where it is from a massive branch of good rng.

oh absolutely not. Satan cheats.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
A guy having everything he owns burned to ashes and all his kids slaughtered because God made a bet with Satan is pretty metal

e: Even more so when the guy says "Why" and God says "Who are you to ask me why son", over like 15 pages

e2: It's also funny that Satan was allowed to kill the guy's wife, but didn't, apparently because he thought his life would be worse with her alive

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 19, 2020

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bird with big dick posted:

Nextdoor is the greatest place on earth to troll people. I like to offer to purchase random cats and dogs that people have found.

I love poo poo posting on nextdoor. It's a whole different world ripe for conquest.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I live in a very liberal city and joined our local Nextdoor page, and it's basically entirely people complaining about lovely auto service businesses, posting about lost pets or keys or whatever, that kind of thing.

Except for one guy. This one guy is a MAGA chud, and every single post he makes is bitching about something the city does. He posts links to news about crime with "the city's soft on crime stance isn't working, we need to do something!" He posts links bitching about construction narrowing some streets to add bike lanes, whining that it "makes it more dangerous for drivers". Every other post he complains about how the city commission is going to lower his property values.

He's also the Lead for the area (meaning you can't report his posts because he's the one that would read the reports).

If you look him up, he owns a local real estate firm specializing in foreclosing on poor people and helping the banks profit from reselling their properties with a minimum of flipping or improvements. There's also one old news story about him that's about him filing repeated alcohol complaints on a local business and pointing out that he's a hypocrite because he tried to open up a topless bar (but the city told him to gently caress off and didn't let him open it).

I troll him a lot and he tried to doxx me once, publicly posted something slyly mentioning my "alternative lifestyle" (given that I'm a cishet white male I have no idea what he's talking about, but I assume it's because I occasionally post on facebook about how trans people should have rights). He also PMed me with my address and threatened to sue me "for liable".

I've even gotten half a dozen other people in the group to troll him regularly too, it's great fun.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm perplexed by this. Isn't Nextdoor, as was said, an online thing like FB but for your neighborhood? Why would they be sending physical snail mail? What did the mail say? Was it addressed to you, or just "current resident"?

Nextdoor only wants people in your local neighborhood to be in your local group, so when you join you have to put in your address to get a postcard delivered with a unique code to verify your location. If you have an account they give you X amount of postcards you can schedule to be delivered. They give you a map with houses on it flagged with a color. Green is houses that already have members living there, yellow means a postcard has been sent there but no one registered yet, and red means no one has sent a postcard (or it expired I suppose).

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012
Dang, glad I didn't fall to this obvious con.

L'all got some stories about this poo poo.

Thanks.

I didn't want to know my neighbors anyways.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

e2: It's also funny that Satan was allowed to kill the guy's wife, but didn't, apparently because he thought his life would be worse with her alive

LOL that hadn't occured to me before but it's spot on

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i joined our nextdoor mostly for lost pets and to sell off old furniture but i stopped checking it months ago because even though i live in a pretty hippy liberal place, it's still nothing but wall to wall retirees whining about noise and non-white people

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

luxury handset posted:

i joined our nextdoor mostly for lost pets and to sell off old furniture but i stopped checking it months ago because even though i live in a pretty hippy liberal place, it's still nothing but wall to wall retirees whining about noise and non-white people

Same here.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

oh absolutely not. Satan cheats.

God doesn’t play dice. Anymore.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
When I was on Nextdoor in Cupertino, CA, there was some old lady complaining about night construction on 280 being a violation of her rights, and threatening to contact the ACLU over it.

Other than that, it was filled with people fighting over whether developers should be allowed to tear down a dead mall, largely because it would provide more housing, meaning their property values would go down. One of these people went on to become the Mayor of Cupertino and promptly made a joke about building a wall to keep the undesirables out.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I always love the people who hate the development of any apartments, because why would we ever support the people who make our lives and industry run with affordable housing? Oh did I say love? I meant to say loathe.

Seriously though it always weirds me out that there are people out there who think I'm sub-human because I rent instead of going bankrupt trying to afford a home.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
that's capitolism for you

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

luxury handset posted:

Mine is 90% stay-at-home parents complaining about "the homeless problem", but in that way where you can tell they're only upset that they have to see homeless people.

None of their solutions have anything to do with actually helping people find shelter, it's all about punishing or humiliating them.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Blue Moonlight posted:

When I was on Nextdoor in Cupertino, CA, there was some old lady complaining about night construction on 280 being a violation of her rights, and threatening to contact the ACLU over it.

Other than that, it was filled with people fighting over whether developers should be allowed to tear down a dead mall, largely because it would provide more housing, meaning their property values would go down. One of these people went on to become the Mayor of Cupertino and promptly made a joke about building a wall to keep the undesirables out.

Wouldn't blighted property in the neighborhood depress property values more than the additional housing?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Alkydere posted:

I always love the people who hate the development of any apartments, because why would we ever support the people who make our lives and industry run with affordable housing? Oh did I say love? I meant to say loathe.

Seriously though it always weirds me out that there are people out there who think I'm sub-human because I rent instead of going bankrupt trying to afford a home.

I had someone tell me completely seriously that apartments weren't fair because Those People don't pay school taxes, and yet their kids get to go to the same schools as homeowners' kids. Because I guess the county just throws up its hands and goes "Oh, an apartment complex? Guess they're exempt from all taxes ever."

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Konstantin posted:

Wouldn't blighted property in the neighborhood depress property values more than the additional housing?

Having cheaper apartments go up mean there might be more affordable options for non-white people. We all know the biggest factor in property prices is proximity to brown people.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Everything is different about real estate in Silicon Valley.

It's cool and good to blow up Vallco Mall imo.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
https://chess2020.com/

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

If I didn't know any better, I would think that was a 12:55am SNL sketch.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Mister Kingdom posted:

If I didn't know any better, I would think that was a 12:55am SNL sketch.

Right time, but it was on the goddamn Weather Channel! x'D

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

hyperhazard posted:

I had someone tell me completely seriously that apartments weren't fair because Those People don't pay school taxes, and yet their kids get to go to the same schools as homeowners' kids. Because I guess the county just throws up its hands and goes "Oh, an apartment complex? Guess they're exempt from all taxes ever."

Uh...doesn't the owner of the apartment complex pay property taxes? Or was that your point?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

BiggerBoat posted:

Uh...doesn't the owner of the apartment complex pay property taxes? Or was that your point?

Yes, and it's included in residents' rent price. The person was being an idiot.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

in my experience, most people who complain about property or sales tax doesn't understand how those taxes are collected, who pays them, or what they pay for

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Read very carefully when you look up a place to rent on Zillow, Trulia, Craigslist, etc. Why? Scam listings are somewhat common.

Assfaces will copy 1-2 pictures and part of the text off a legit listing (say $900/month), create their own listing at a bargain basement price ($500/month) and/or say the house is for sale for a too-good-to-be-true price ($10,000). Then, when you blindly click the "Contact" link to ask for information, you'll get an email saying "We're on a mission trip in (insert plausible third-world country here) but, if you send us a money order or deposit, we'll get you the keys.".

So, John Q. Dumbass doesn't do 15 seconds of due diligence by noticing the description of the place abruptly ends for no apparent reason, sends Mr./Mrs. Assface a deposit, only to show up and find out :lol: the person doesn't actually own the house. For bonus fun, multiple people may show up at the same property at the same time to realize they've all been duped!

So, please, for the love of God, read the description. I know it's easy to do everything online in TYOOL 2020 but, if it says in big letters "CALL, DO NOT EMAIL. EMAIL IS UNMONITORED AND ANY EMAIL YOU RECEIVE ABOUT THIS PROPERTY WITHOUT FIRST CONTACTING (phone number) IS FRAUD", then pick up your portable texting device and call them. You'll know a) the person/company with the listing is real and b) won't show up in a desperate situation with a moving truck but nowhere to put your stuff.

-A property manager.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Some people have been the property side victim of a similar Airbnb scam to the extent where they have a sign outside their door telling the people turning up that they’ve been scammed, not to knock the door at 2am, and who to contact to resolve it.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

We need a Nextdoor thread.

It's literally the only place I've ever defended the police. Some idiot kept posting and bitching about how police were out ticketing people who drove over 30 km/hr in a school zone during the holiday season when "kids aren't even in school". He failed to realize that the signs are clearly posted before every school zone in our city: "30KM/HR | SEPT - JUNE | MONDAY-FRIDAY". Also the school zone in our neighbourhood is one of the only parks for children so it sees constant use.

Dude argued for days and kept getting more and more irate. I would just respond "signs are clearly marked" and he'd bitch about not being able to afford the tickets (can be up to $500 depending on how many times he does it), how he is glad I'm a rich person who can afford money being taken from me (?), how he hopes nothing bad ever happens to my family, how he hopes I never make a mistake in my life, etc. In the end he wanted the last word and left with a "I guess we will just have to agree to disagree".

I kept arguing with him since our area has a huge problem with lovely drivers hitting children. It's a newer area near the edge of the city so people think they can just drive as fast as possible since there are less people around.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I'm sure this has been posted a lot already, but I can't loving sell anything on craigslist anymore. Every post I make only gets the same tired Scammer Reply asking to send me a check + $100 for my troubles to have me mail them the item (regardless if its a car or a snowglobe). Obviously the check is cancelled and funds withdrawn after I send the item (and I'm on the hook for the bounced fee minus the item as well) so its a really stupid and painfully obvious scam. Is craigslist just well and truly dead now?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Last I checked, your Craigslist post didn't get taken down because you got some spam email.

Maybe your poo poo just sucks or is overpriced?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I sold a pretty nice Subaru WRX wagon on CL last summer and it went more smoothly than I ever could have hoped for. I expected a bunch of scam replies, lovely trade offers, and lowballers. Instead I got exactly one response and they made a reasonable offer and I sold the car to them 2 days later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maybe they’re just playing the long con!

E: ok not a con so much as just typical lovely behavior on this one. Email from end of last year from Postmates:

quote:

Then, take your celebration to the next level because when you spend $15 on any order with code TOAST19, you’ll receive $100 in delivery fee credit for 2020.

Fine print: oh by 2020 we actually mean a window of 7 days.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 23, 2020