Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nuebot posted:

It comes up pretty constantly. In another thread on these same forums the podcast came up and I stated my reasoning for not liking it and was immediately met with "You just don't like it because they're women."

EDIT: Just going to say that I started listening to Case Files and I'm totally digging it so far. I started with episode one and it's very much a dry read of the case and the events around it but I love that kind of thing as much as I like a more comical take at times. Thanks for the recommend, those who did. I'll be listening to the other two mentioned earlier later on as well.

Yeah. Idk, I just never cared about mfm. I’d have to listen to them more but what I remember, the first 20 min of the episode was just the was just them talking about random stuff and not even ads. Plus the name feels tone deaf which is a dumb thing to write but eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Also unrelated but I saw 1917. Great movie but obviously intense and depressing. I recommend people seeing it.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

failing forward posted:

They also claim to know a lot about serial killers, while being true crime buffs and not actual "experts", just like the MFM ladies. They are so similar that really the only key difference is one podcast is men and the other is women.

To me the big difference between MFM and LPOTL is MFM barely does any research. They frequently joke about how they couldn’t be bothered to look stuff up, and that if you’re looking for well researched info don’t listen. MFM and the Dollop are true brother/sister podcasts; they’re both more about the hosts’ bits and personalities and the research is sometimes just paraphrasing a documentary they watched the night before.

LPOTL really turned me off initially; I started with the Heaven’s Gate episode and they blamed Applewhite’s homosexual self-loathing which is... oversimplified and maybe homophobic? (I later found a podcast hosted by Glynn Washington called Heaven’s Gate that’s PHENOMENAL) Recently I’ve tried some later episodes and their research is much more thorough. Still not super into the humor but idk, personal preference.

Edit: Whoops yeah MFM not MLM

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 18, 2020

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You're post really confused me until I realized you weren't talking about multi-level marketing scams.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MiddleOne posted:

You're post really confused me until I realized you weren't talking about multi-level marketing scams.

If you don't respect Nutrisystem you're a misogynist.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Crocobile posted:

LPOTL really turned me off initially; I started with the Heaven’s Gate episode and they blamed Applewhite’s homosexual self-loathing which is... oversimplified and maybe homophobic? (I later found a podcast hosted by Glynn Washington called Heaven’s Gate that’s PHENOMENAL) Recently I’ve tried some later episodes and their research is much more thorough. Still not super into the humor but idk, personal preference.

Well, they've been talking about for a while about revisiting some of their older episodes; Marcus isn't proud of the level of research and takes that went into some of the early episodes... and they're finally getting to it with this week's episode on Heaven's Gate: https://www.lastpodcastnetwork.com/blog/2020/1/17/episode-397-heavens-gate-part-i-a-cabo-or-a-wabo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
oh sweet I'm glad they're starting there. Yea their original episode wasn't terrible but stuff like 'and Applewhite was a self hating gay man' is a bit reductionist and lazy at best, for sure a product of their older and more lax research days. Looking forward to listening to them redo it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Crocobile posted:

To me the big difference between MFM and LPOTL is MFM barely does any research. They frequently joke about how they couldn’t be bothered to look stuff up, and that if you’re looking for well researched info don’t listen. MFM and the Dollop are true brother/sister podcasts; they’re both more about the hosts’ bits and personalities and the research is sometimes just paraphrasing a documentary they watched the night before.

yeah. i noticed that about MFM too. it was just them giggling about crimes and saying random lady jokes. with LPOTL, its not for everyone and their early stuff is a massive mixed bag and like the poster above me said, they arnt proud of alot of it. you can tell the early days were just them loving around as friends until it became a real thing.

sexpig by night posted:

oh sweet I'm glad they're starting there. Yea their original episode wasn't terrible but stuff like 'and Applewhite was a self hating gay man' is a bit reductionist and lazy at best, for sure a product of their older and more lax research days. Looking forward to listening to them redo it.

yeah. i am still on their berdella episode.

another podcast i have to recommend is lions led by donkeys. its kinda LPOTL but a lefty military history podcast by some vets.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Shinji2015 posted:

Well, they've been talking about for a while about revisiting some of their older episodes; Marcus isn't proud of the level of research and takes that went into some of the early episodes... and they're finally getting to it with this week's episode on Heaven's Gate: https://www.lastpodcastnetwork.com/blog/2020/1/17/episode-397-heavens-gate-part-i-a-cabo-or-a-wabo

Yeah their original episodes on Jonestown were mostly just 'let's play the horrible tapes of the event in full' and then they revisited it and did it a lot more justice. Marcus really is the core of that show, Henry is there for conspiracy theories and dumb but hilarious takes and Ben... Is also there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah their original episodes on Jonestown were mostly just 'let's play the horrible tapes of the event in full' and then they revisited it and did it a lot more justice. Marcus really is the core of that show, Henry is there for conspiracy theories and dumb but hilarious takes and Ben... Is also there.

henry has some good takes and its interesting/dumb perspectives sometimes with alien/conspiracy poo poo. ben just reminds me of my dad so he is funny enough. plus the "bens german grandpa" jokes always makes me giggle.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

henry has some good takes and its interesting/dumb perspectives sometimes with alien/conspiracy poo poo. ben just reminds me of my dad so he is funny enough. plus the "bens german grandpa" jokes always makes me giggle.

Ben has the highest proportion of "killing a bit dead with a joke that doesn't work" of the three. He seems affable enough and when he's facilitating the chat he's fine.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ben functions as a wildcard because he’s low key the craziest one there, he’s just better at hiding it than Henry or Marcus

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

ArfJason posted:

New bunnyhop and its a very good one.
https://youtu.be/4aTp4mliP9I
That "average top 100" game sounds so weird that it could be interesting to play. 11-year-old me would have thrown a fit if Nintendo developed a game for another console, though, even though I had a Gamecube and a Playstation 2.

Edit: Here's an LGR video about the Y2K bug and the widespread panic it caused, not helped by sensationalist news media: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm5OiB3CPxg

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 18, 2020

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

The thing is you’d think a website full of people all ostensibly interested in filmmaking and media who were actually making money would approach making a movie with just a tiny bit more effort and tact than they approach sitting on the sofa and talking about a comic book

why?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Ben functions as a wildcard because he’s low key the craziest one there, he’s just better at hiding it than Henry or Marcus

yea Ben is 100% the most brainbusted of the three and when that comes out in drips it's absolutely amazing. Henry and Marcus are more consistently great but boy when Ben just casually slips in some 'oh poo poo what' stuff it's golden. It helps that he's a friendly enough guy that when his jokes don't work it's just 'haha well moving on then'.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

If I was looking to start LPOTL, where would one recommend starting? It sounds like the early stuff wasn't great, so what do people think is a good jumping on point?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was kinda surprised the Last Podcast guys left out the grossest crime of Donald Gaskins. I was dreading it coming up.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

dancingbears posted:

If I was looking to start LPOTL, where would one recommend starting? It sounds like the early stuff wasn't great, so what do people think is a good jumping on point?

That depends. Are you more interested in true crime, ghost stories, alien encounters, or cult poo poo?

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Alaois posted:

big ups to the "only men can possibly hate these women" bullshit that has a 100% appearance rate in every conversation like this, it's fully sick as hell

Rereading my original post I get why this came across as my main point. Sorry about that. I just meant I felt like when MEN don't like them, it's because they're women. I don't like them as much as I like LPOTL and I don't listen to their live eps, and I am a woman. I prefer LPOTL for the reasons others have stated.

However while LPOTL does do a shitload more research, that doesn't make them experts in serial killers, and I am loathe to call anyone in true crime that.

Edit: my main gripe was that people's initial critiques of MFM could have easily been made about LPOTL: bad ads, dark humor, etc. But the other critiques that have come out after that initial wave are legit--not that I am the arbiter of that 🤷

Edit2: also if no one has listened to Dark Poutine please do. I like them because they are funny and also because they don't kowtow to cops every ep

don longjohns fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 18, 2020

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was kinda surprised the Last Podcast guys left out the grossest crime of Donald Gaskins. I was dreading it coming up.

They've been cutting back on the really gory stuff at times.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

They mention it but they don’t deep dive it. Which I am ok with. They have enough “gold star” moments plus they think gaskins made it up.

dancingbears posted:

Depends what you’re looking for.

failing forward posted:

Rereading my original post I get why this came across as my main point. Sorry about that. I just meant I felt like when MEN don't like them, it's because they're women. I don't like them as much as I like LPOTL and I don't listen to their live eps, and I am a woman. I prefer LPOTL for the reasons others have stated.

However while LPOTL does do a shitload more research, that doesn't make them experts in serial killers, and I am loathe to call anyone in true crime that.

Edit: my main gripe was that people's initial critiques of MFM could have easily been made about LPOTL: bad ads, dark humor, etc. But the other critiques that have come out after that initial wave are legit--not that I am the arbiter of that 🤷

Edit2: also if no one has listened to Dark Poutine please do. I like them because they are funny and also because they don't kowtow to cops every ep

True. No one is really an expert. But I think there are some good writers about it and most of the best ones did other stuff before hand, schecter, Jeff guinn and Jack olsen are my favorites. The first two both write more as a history and public reactions and stuff. Olsen was an journalist who started writing about survivors and stuff. One that’s what good for reading in these times is doc the rape of a town. It talks about how this chud doctor goes into a Mormon town and takes advantage of the various systems and status quos to do horrible stuff and the aftermath. He goes to jail but it’s a blood boiler.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

That sounds really interesting. I will check it out. I haven't read much true crime and I want to. I think I have only read The Devil in the White City, which was really good.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

That depends. Are you more interested in true crime, ghost stories, alien encounters, or cult poo poo?

The true crime, I think.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg2Y5rxlg-M

:wtc:

EDIT: lol

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I gave Bad Guy by Billie English a shot. It's not really clicking for me.

Like...I think it's that the sone keeps starting amd stopping. And then the breakdown feels like a totally different song.

Oh dear god why!?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Already making my 25 hour rebuttal video.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

I mean, if you're going to spend a 7 hours talking about a piece of media, it better be something as packed full of stuff like a Kojima game than Star Wars or a Dark Souls review.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

BigRed0427 posted:

Like...I think it's that the sone keeps starting amd stopping. And then the breakdown feels like a totally different song.

Oh dear god why!?

It's not really a great song but I'm a grumpy rear end in a top hat who thinks almost all pop that plays on the radio is something I could do without.
I like what billie eillish represents too, a lady gaga for the next generation but even more counter to the adult's culture. If kids are listening to her they're alright.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

BigRed0427 posted:

I actually gave her a shot after the Todd video and I really like the album. Bad Guy is super basic and pared down but it works for me, I'm a punk guy after all. But yeah, it's very quiet-loud-quiet in its aesthetics and if you're used to modern pop music which is LOUD LOUD LOUD it can be jarring.

you should see me in a crown is dope tho

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Archer666 posted:

I mean, if you're going to spend a 7 hours talking about a piece of media, it better be something as packed full of stuff like a Kojima game than Star Wars or a Dark Souls review.

Every souls game is far deeper than anything Kojima could ever produce.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Dias posted:

I actually gave her a shot after the Todd video and I really like the album. Bad Guy is super basic and pared down but it works for me, I'm a punk guy after all. But yeah, it's very quiet-loud-quiet in its aesthetics and if you're used to modern pop music which is LOUD LOUD LOUD it can be jarring.

you should see me in a crown is dope tho

Yeah, I like the song but I really didn't expect Bad Guy to be the song of her's that blew up enough to take the #1 spot. You Should See Me in a Crown and All the Good Girls go to Hell are my top picks from that album.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

The level of fart huffing someone has to do to get to the point where they post this is next level.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'd say they are about comparatively deep but Kojima games are more accessible. For Dark Souls you really have to dig deep to get anything that becomes recognizably cognizant of contemporary politics while Kojima stuff is just much more obviously on the nose from the get go even if it is a lot of Left Wing Tom Clancy cargoculting.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Piecing the plot together from scraps and bottles like you're making an Iron Man suit out of lore doesn't make it deep. And I like the Souls plots/lore.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The level of fart huffing someone has to do to get to the point where they post this is next level.

Kojima is fart huffing how'd you get it that backwards lmao

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'd say they are about comparatively deep but Kojima games are more accessible. For Dark Souls you really have to dig deep to get anything that becomes recognizably cognizant of contemporary politics while Kojima stuff is just much more obviously on the nose from the get go even if it is a lot of Left Wing Tom Clancy cargoculting.

Plus, Miyazaki does a lot of subtle storytelling with item placement; finding a certain item in a certain place can tell you a lot about what may have happened there. Kojima is going to hit you over the head with his storytelling, and you're going to sit through this cut scene and like it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Souls lore is deep

Deep in the item menu!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Mauler, you know what you must do

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Kojima is fart huffing how'd you get it that backwards lmao

I'm sure Forums User Groovelord Neato is a very impartial judge on the fart huffing-ness of 'and then they were sad and died' souls lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Narrative and thematic "deepness" aren't the same thing. The Souls series is amazing at doing environmental narrative, but thematically they're not really anything special. Kojima is very blunt about his themes but his work is extremely focused on them. Both approaches are valid, ain't no one knocking Bong Joon-Ho for spelling out what Parasite is about (although Kojima goes kinda TOO far into that territory).