Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Kids today are unable to appreciate the feat of strength that is tearing a phone book in half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Doing it quickly is difficult but if you use your thumbnail to dig a groove into the top and then just keep twisting back and forth, even goons of average goon strength could tear apart a medium sized phone book.

when the anime club went to a greek party in college one rear end in a top hat challenged us to do just that and sure, it took me 7 solid minutes, but at the end i did it, then the rear end in a top hat knocked the pages out of my hand, yelled at me for making a mess and said my cat ears looked stupid even though actually they look tottemo kawaii.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Um

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the delightful film Gizmo! has a guy tearing phone books in half, a dude who drags ships and aircraft around by his teeth, and this old man who completely rules who bites a nail in half and then explains that the source of his strength is that he doesn't breathe oxygen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0l01o2-X3A&t=248s

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Punt, for those curious.

I guess it doesn't show up in modern media but european christians also spent ages convinced, probably by a hoax letter, that there was a whole other realm of embattled christians in India/Africa/somewhere. When they first heard of the mongols loving up muslims, they thought it might be the eastern christians coming for revenge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prester_John

In modern times I think we agree Ethiopia was probably the basis for the legend.

e: "India" being a specific country and not a vague word for "everything Over There besides the muslim lands" might actually be a similar thing that confuses modern audiences exposed to old timey european stuff.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 14, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Modern American Christians are still hugely invested in the oppressed foreign ministry narrative. there's an amazing grift to be had operating gospel radio stations in the fuckoff middle of nowhere if you tell people you're bringing G-d's word to the ignorant masses and being punished for it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

The Zombie Guy posted:

When Elmer Fudd was trying his best to shoot Bugs Bunny, Bugs would sarcastically say "Nice shooting, Nimrod." Lots of people (myself included) assumed Nimrod was just an insult, since It sounds like one of those old-timey sayings like numb-skull or clod. To actually get Bugs' sarcastic reference, you'd have to know that Nimrod is a Biblical figure, known as a great hunter. So Bugs isn't just calling Elmer names, he's really knocking on his accuracy and hunting ability.

I was very confused by this while watching the 90s Xmen cartoon, all because of this:

Platystemon posted:

Bugs Bunny made “nimrod” a general‐purpose insult. It’s in the dictionary now.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

ulmont posted:

Yeah, the rabbit test was a common euphemism.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_test

Cutting up mice and bunnies to find out if you're pregnant :psyduck:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Modern American Christians are still hugely invested in the oppressed foreign ministry narrative. there's an amazing grift to be had operating gospel radio stations in the fuckoff middle of nowhere if you tell people you're bringing G-d's word to the ignorant masses and being punished for it.

It all depends where you go, but missionary work isn't necessarily the safest or easiest job. I have a friend who does missionary work in China, which has historically been a nice sized can of worms.

A lot of it is grift though, like when the Duggars went to Central America. Also evangelicals never seem even remotely perturbed when a Christian church gets massacred in an African nation. There has to be a reason white, but I can't put my finger on it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

slinkimalinki posted:

Yeah I think in a lot of countries this is the norm. I only really get cash out if I'm going to a craft market or something. I'm kind of curious about how kids' pocket money is going to work in about 10 years or so.

In Stockholm an increasing number of businesses (mostly, hotels, bars, and restaurants) have some sign along these lines

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I always carry a small amount of cash because I like to tip in cash, also I'm old.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

JcDent posted:

Cutting up mice and bunnies to find out if you're pregnant :psyduck:

Wait until you find out why beavers almost went extinct while becoming a euphemism for female genitals!

Link might be not work safe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkin

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ceiling fan posted:

Wait until you find out why beavers almost went extinct while becoming a euphemism for female genitals!

Link might be not work safe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkin

Beaver furs were used for hats and coats and stuff too, it wasn't just merkin manufacturing. And it wasn't just slapping a hat together out of whole skins, either: the fur was used for felting and beaver fur felt was in huge demand for all sorts of hats.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

In Stockholm an increasing number of businesses (mostly, hotels, bars, and restaurants) have some sign along these lines

A solid majority of my purchases of anything is credit or Swish, a payment system here. I use cash once a month, if that. Maybe half of the places here take cash, but I’ve never seen a cash only place for the past 3ish years I’ve been here.

Now when visiting my mom in the US - entirely different and kind of annoying!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There used to be a tiny corner shop in my hometown that not only didn't accept cards but if you tried to pay with one the owner would scream at you about the evils of credit cards.

He closed down the shop after he was robbed a few times times in a row by several different people who knew that there'd be plenty of cash in the till.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 18, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

teen witch posted:

A solid majority of my purchases of anything is credit or Swish, a payment system here. I use cash once a month, if that. Maybe half of the places here take cash, but I’ve never seen a cash only place for the past 3ish years I’ve been here.

I've heard this a few times and it always confuses me. Where in the US requires cash payment besides like laundromats and slumlord rent? I've been more or less entirely cashless for the past half decade and I don't live in an especially big US city.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Some bars, food trucks sometimes, and other things without much infrastructure, though that’s becoming less and less common each year with things like square card readers and such.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

teen witch posted:

kind of upset swish isn't an app where i can geolocate folks in my neighborhood looking for a pickup game of basketball

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

Terrible Opinions posted:

I've heard this a few times and it always confuses me. Where in the US requires cash payment besides like laundromats and slumlord rent? I've been more or less entirely cashless for the past half decade and I don't live in an especially big US city.

When I lived in San Francisco I had to use cash a lot more than I was used to, so I don’t think it’s something specific to smaller cities. It may even be predominant in bigger cities with smaller, independent stores.

It almost felt like I always needed to have cash on me. A lot of bars and smaller restaurants seemed like they were cash only. Most if the smaller neighborhood stores—especially older ones—had minimum purchase amounts for credit cards. If I popped around the corner to a hardware store for just a few things, I usually ended up having to use cash.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I use cash sometimes to save a small business from a $5 charge from the credit card processor.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Credit card processors charge a fee to handle a credit card transaction so depending on what the store’s margin is on a given sale they can see no profit or sometimes even lose money on a small sale paid by credit card. For a long time many cash only places did it for speed but that’s much less of a concern today. It’s also much easier to cheat on taxes, launder money, or otherwise gently caress around with the numbers when you have cash rather than credit card transactions or checks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Flea markets and rummage sales and street food vendors and fruit by the side of the road sellers

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Leperflesh posted:

Flea markets and rummage sales

Here in Canada almost everyone accepts debit or credit. I honestly can't remember the last time I was somewhere that only took cash. Flea markets or garage sales not withstanding.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My experience working for tips is that it's a hell of a lot easier to live almost cash-only in Canada than in the US. And that eradicating physical currency isn't necessarily a good thing. It's kind sorta elitist and bullshit and locks people out of paying for things they by all rights should be able to pay for.

If I paid rent from my bank account and then went to buy something with my hard legal tender from last night's shift and saw a loving "CASH FREE ZONE" sign anywhere it'd take all my strength to not come back later and molotov the place.

In a just world you should be able to hand over a pile of hundreds to pay rent if that drat well works for you.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 18, 2020

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Here in Canada almost everyone accepts debit or credit. I honestly can't remember the last time I was somewhere that only took cash. Flea markets or garage sales not withstanding.

The barber shop I go to only takes cash and checks. They've been around for over 40 years, so I guess they know what they're doing.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I can still think of a number of cash only restaurants or bars in Toronto.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
It's against the merchants card holder agreements to accept a minimum payment and if reported they can lose their privilege to use cards.

The fees from cards drive up costs on all their products and is why some offer a cash discount for paying that way.

I pay cash whenever I can for Mom and pops, but I imagine servers who only ever get cash and underreport are going to have a ride awakening when they retire. It'll reduce their social security payout.

I learned all of this from the forum so I hope it's true.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

It's against the merchants card holder agreements to accept a minimum payment and if reported they can lose their privilege to use cards.

I think that changed recently but can't find a source because looking for "minimum credit card payment" turns up too many sites explaining that yes, you do have to make a payment every month.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Original_Z posted:

Yeah, old copies used to be made from something called a ditto machine which made very low quality but very cheap copies at a time when copiers or printers were very expensive for schools. They apparently had a distinct smell when freshly copied.

When I was in school we already had proper copiers but the teachers would still refer to the handouts as “dittos”, I just assumed it was slang for a handout and much later learned that it referred to copies made on those old machine. I guess the word lasted longer than the technology, although I doubt it’s still in use in schools today.
This is at least partially preserved by ZFS, because it contains a facility whereby you can replicate data by using what's internally referred to as ditto-blocks - because unlike proper mirroring or distributed raid, there's no guarantee they'll work well.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Isn't that because they hope to avoid being robbed and thieved, because robbers and thieves are less likely to try something if they think there's no cash to be had?

Also, I seem to have lost it, but someone mentioned William Gibson musing about the problems of predicting the future; the corollary to that must be to do like Douglas Adams and predict The Hitchhikers Guide To The GalaxyWikipedia on a e-ink device.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 18, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

The fees from cards drive up costs on all their products and is why some offer a cash discount for paying that way.

I pay cash whenever I can for Mom and pops, but I imagine servers who only ever get cash and underreport are going to have a ride awakening when they retire. It'll reduce their social security payout.

I learned all of this from the forum so I hope it's true.

Don't worry we will never retire and never get a social security payout.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The US will always use more cash because we’re a tipping society. Sky Cap checks your bags? That’s $5 a bag. Bartender hands you a drink? $2. You can add the tip to your card bill for pizza delivery, but there are plenty other circumstances where the only way to tip someone is cash in your pocket.

Other countries don’t have the tipping custom so it’s a heck of a lot easier to go cashless.

And no, that doesn’t explain Canada because they tip and are still mostly cashless. My theories don’t often hold up to examination.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I used to be all-in on a cashless society, it seemed so cool and futuristic.

Then I realized that every single transaction I make will be logged, tracked and probably used to build some kind of profile on me, and I get depressed over how humanity will always turn everything cool into poo poo for profit.

Paying in cash for online purchases is basically impossible, though. Don't ever but anything online, I guess.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My experience working for tips is that it's a hell of a lot easier to live almost cash-only in Canada than in the US. And that eradicating physical currency isn't necessarily a good thing. It's kind sorta elitist and bullshit and locks people out of paying for things they by all rights should be able to pay for.

If I paid rent from my bank account and then went to buy something with my hard legal tender from last night's shift and saw a loving "CASH FREE ZONE" sign anywhere it'd take all my strength to not come back later and molotov the place.

In a just world you should be able to hand over a pile of hundreds to pay rent if that drat well works for you.

bUt THAT mOnEY coULD HAVe CoMe FRoM DrUg dEaLinG

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I saw someone describe TV episode as a real who's who of x and I was thinking weren't there literal books called that? Turns out yeah. Listings of notable persons. Such a Sherlock Holmes era type thing in my mind.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When I worked in retail back in college I always assumed anyone paying cash was either dealing drugs or worse a contractor and that was more than a decade ago.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And that eradicating physical currency isn't necessarily a good thing. It's kind sorta elitist and bullshit and locks people out of paying for things they by all rights should be able to pay for.

To expand on this a bit. Many non-cash options that aren't simple charge cards require a bank account. To get a bank account in the US you need a SSN/ITIN, proof of a permanent address, and probably a phone number. I'm guessing there's more than just a few people that can't or don't want to provide at least one of those things. And for a lot of elderly people words like "app" or "smartphone" are pretty difficult.

I think Sweden is the case study here, the government has tried some things to include these kinds of people in the cashless society. Dunno how successful they were though.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 19, 2020

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

And no, that doesn’t explain Canada because they tip and are still mostly cashless. My theories don’t often hold up to examination.

It's been years since I've seen a point of sale system up here that doesn't automatically ask for tip AND calculate it for you based on whatever percentage you want (with suggested ones pre-calculated of usually 18-25%).

It helps that every debit/credit card it also tap to pay now so for a bar it's usually faster to just let people tap than to fumble with change.

It's pretty funny whenever I travel to the US because on most card machines down there tap works but since like no cards down there support it, confuses the hell out of cashiers.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is a SSN not something you get automatically upon birth?

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is a SSN not something you get automatically upon birth?

From what I recall, your parents have to specifically send in a set of forms to get you an SSN. This comes as a rude surprise for kids whose parents have gone off-grid, because they might not have anything to prove they really exist legally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sounds like America has a lot of instances of things being made needlessly complicated.

e:
Presumably to inconvenience the poor.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 19, 2020