Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Steve Yun posted:

Fuckups are the truest Death Stranding experience

Imagine me trying to deliver fragile cargo to Cosplayer only to run face first into a truck right next her doorstep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Imagine missing a two foot long jump on a motorcycle, falling twenty feet and as you get up to pick up your packages, have the motorcycle explode in your face

That canyon was the cause of a lot of tears

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Imagine me trying to deliver fragile cargo to Cosplayer only to run face first into a truck right next her doorstep

Lol I literally just got around to that outpost and Austin Powered a truck in her front doorway

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

freebooter posted:

Lol I literally just got around to that outpost and Austin Powered a truck in her front doorway

Just dismantle them. By the time you get there you can find trucks everywhere and build one if you need one.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Imagine missing a two foot long jump on a motorcycle, falling twenty feet and as you get up to pick up your packages, have the motorcycle explode in your face

That canyon was the cause of a lot of tears

This was pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0c3Ym5edls I dunno if it would save packages but at least the bike survived.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

skooma512 posted:

:same: actually. DS is pointedly not combat oriented at all.

The combat is in fact the worst part if it, and I honestly wish any fighting was restricted only to boss fights or the big BTs that can spawn. I wish Mules weren't a thing, I wish the terrorists REALLY weren't a thing. Any time it's just Sam alone trying to make his away across the landscape is the best

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Whaaaat I love the melee fighting, it's really smooth once you figure out how to do the dodge move and stuff. I don't mind the gameplay being changed up every now and again (especially when they give you the choice to either do it or not), if it was ALL traversing mountains and crouchwalking around BTs it'd get very monotonous.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Macaluso posted:

The combat is in fact the worst part if it, and I honestly wish any fighting was restricted only to boss fights or the big BTs that can spawn. I wish Mules weren't a thing, I wish the terrorists REALLY weren't a thing. Any time it's just Sam alone trying to make his away across the landscape is the best

I just wish the mules in that area didn't become terrorists for basically no reason after you get to those mountains.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

CJacobs posted:

Whaaaat I love the melee fighting, it's really smooth once you figure out how to do the dodge move and stuff. I don't mind the gameplay being changed up every now and again (especially when they give you the choice to either do it or not), if it was ALL traversing mountains and crouchwalking around BTs it'd get very monotonous.

how do you do the dodge move, i know its listed in a loading screen tip but it doesn't seem to do anything for me at all when i tried what was it, both shoulder buttons and x? like whats the process to make it work

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

rabidsquid posted:

how do you do the dodge move, i know its listed in a loading screen tip but it doesn't seem to do anything for me at all when i tried what was it, both shoulder buttons and x? like whats the process to make it work

L2 + R2 and press (not hold) X while holding a direction. If an attack is coming Sam will juke it in the direction you press with tons of i-frames. Then you can press square to do a haymaker followup attack. You also can just hold L2 + R2 + X normally while walking around to automatically climb stuff with a side shuffle move type thing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CJacobs posted:

I don't feel combat, at least against faceless whatever human dudes, really belonged in Death Stranding. And besides that the combat just didn't feel good to me.

night slime
May 14, 2014
I feel like Kojima didn´t want combat but they shoehorned it in since it would make the game an even harder sell. That said I don't mind the small amounts of it peppered around.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
On the combat, I loved that the game gave you insanely effective lethal weapons and then immediately punishes you severely for using them. It really drives home the point that humans can't afford to be killing each other in this future when you have to dispose of literally every body you create.

I never got a voidout in my game, does it actually create a crater in the game world?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In all likelyhood he didn't want combat, not against humans anyway- in fact the story goes Lindsay Wagner only hopped on the Death Stranding train because the game was originally in part about pacifism.

quote:

“Games have a 30-something-year history that has evolved over time, but games are still about sticks, about guns,” Kojima told Variety. “…What I explained to her is that while this game will have sticks — that the player will be able to use sticks — that is not the concept of the game.”

Kojima invoked mankind’s evolution of a violent toolset of increasing sophistication to persuade Wagner that themes of violence can be explored seriously within a game’s story. All of culture, he told Wagner, developed from the stick — a potentially violent tool — and the rope, which typically serves the opposite function of binding things together and drawing them closer.

“The aim of the game is for the player to use ropes,” Kojima said. “I am making the game in such a way that this comes natural to the player, this alternative, of using ropes. And I went into detail on how I intend to do that.”

It’s an explanation that must have struck the right chord with Wagner, because Kojima said the veteran actor was visibly moved and even welled up with tears during the course of their lengthy talk.

Which is a little different of a philosophy than the game we have that gives you a lock on quad rocket launcher that fires blood rockets at ghosts!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Talorat posted:

On the combat, I loved that the game gave you insanely effective lethal weapons and then immediately punishes you severely for using them. It really drives home the point that humans can't afford to be killing each other in this future when you have to dispose of literally every body you create.

I never got a voidout in my game, does it actually create a crater in the game world?

It does yeah. If Sam dies you have two options, reviving which doesn't make a crater and repatriating which does leave one. If you get eaten by BTs you always leave a crater, sometimes small and sometimes really big depending on where it happens. You can't go near the crater, a weird wind forcefield pushes you back, so if you died in a real lovely spot you now have a new obstacle to walk around every time after that.

edit: If a voidout happens because you killed someone, you just get a non-standard game over and it rewinds to your last save when you swim to Sam's body.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 19, 2020

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Midjack posted:

Just dismantle them. By the time you get there you can find trucks everywhere and build one if you need one.

Haha I didn't want to because it had about ten loads of materials for South Knot that I CBF unloading. So I spent a good ten minutes jumping around trying to get it out of there. I only drove it down in the first place because I forgot the delivery the truck was for wasn't for the cosplayer.

I do agree that the best part of this game is the traversal of the landscape and the little ordeals and stories you create for yourself when you gently caress up. The game really clicked for me after I first got to the timefall farm and then had a non-essential delivery to get up towards the distro centre in the middle of that map. (Actually I think it was just materials because I wanted to build a road.) I went down into the waterfall valley, realised I couldn't cross, realised I couldn't bridge it (other side wasn't on the network), realised I couldn't get back up either, waited out a timefall in a cave. Then I thought maybe I could glide across on a floating carrier and ended up pawing at the water like Marty McFly in Back to the Future II, and hosed up and lost my cargo by splashing into the drink and washing up halfway downstream. And I figured the cargo would drift down into the wreckage across the river further downstream, so I ran down, scaled the ruined concrete, got to the other side and tried to wade out to retrieve it but the water kept knocking me down. That was when I realised your stamina affects how much water you can handle, so I had a little rest by the side of the river, stripped off all the other cargo and equipment I was carrying, and managed to wade out deep to retrieve it all.

That sounds simple and boring but it was half an hour of gameplay, entirely caused by my own gently caress-up (I could have just turned left instead of thinking I might be able to cross a river below a waterfall!) and I loved it. I loved having to solve a problem that was thrown up by my own decisions, to have to slow down and think and figure out what I might be able to do. That's when this game is at its best. Figuring out how to traverse the landscape with all your crap, or figuring out how to "beat" the landscape with your tech. (Is there anything more satisfying than building a zipline network across a mountain between depots?) The storyline is absolute garbage and I spend the cutscenes scrolling through Twitter, but the gameplay is definitely something unique, addictive and special.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I did not like when terrorists showed up. This isn’t MSG5 where I have a traq sniper rifle and dog to show me all enemy locations or can have Quiet do the work for me.

Everytime I’d get chased and shot up by those fuckers just trying to pass through their camps. The only way win is to drive or use smoke and move fast.

The mules were fun because you could fight back easily. Terrorists though just shoot, much less interesting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just go around 'em! You're mountain climbing guy, climb the mountain instead!

edit: They do have a few more tricks up their sleeves besides shooting you but they don't really use em unfortunately. Each camp (or most of them) has a different 'loadout'. The guys near the Timefall Farm shoot at you with non-lethal rounds and knock you out. The guys near the Lake Knot Distro are wearing heavy coats and have sticky guns. The terrorists obv all have armor and take extra punishment, and they also have smoke and frag grenades but I've only seen them used once. The only two that have actual kill-you guns that I can remember are the ones between the Mountain Waystation and Distro, and the one near Edge Knot.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 19, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I enjoyed the terrorists even when I didn’t engage with them because the stress of sneaking around them and hoping you don’t get noticed while in a new area was fun

night slime
May 14, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Just go around 'em! You're mountain climbing guy, climb the mountain instead!

edit: They do have a few more tricks up their sleeves besides shooting you but they don't really use em unfortunately. Each camp (or most of them) has a different 'loadout'. The guys near the Timefall Farm shoot at you with non-lethal rounds and knock you out. The guys near the Lake Knot Distro are wearing heavy coats and have sticky guns. The terrorists obv all have armor and take extra punishment, and they also have smoke and frag grenades but I've only seen them used once. The only two that have actual kill-you guns that I can remember are the ones between the Mountain Waystation and Distro, and the one near Edge Knot.

Dunno why but eventually in my game a guy at the timefall farm equipped a real shotgun, I guess like when they put on helmets in MGSV if you headshot them too much. Just wants to defend his unopened Real Gorilla Action Figures 8ct package I guess.

Does the voidout wind forcefield ever dissolve? I assumed it would over time but I always reset after voidouts so I never knew.

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you

night slime posted:

Does the voidout wind forcefield ever dissolve? I assumed it would over time but I always reset after voidouts so I never knew.

The whole crater will heal eventually, seems to take a pretty long time though.

night slime
May 14, 2014
You should have to deliver dirt to the voidout before it heals

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

night slime posted:

You should have to deliver dirt to the voidout before it heals

That would be a good excuse to use the gigantic semi-trucks just sitting around at some of the DC's.

Has anyone modded the Death Stranding trucks into Mudrunner yet? I wish for two things from DS trucking: 1. Spintires/MudRunner truck and environment physics. 2. Every truck you drive should be hosed up in some way. This one pulls to the left because some rear end in a top hat kept on running over the near curb, that one's engine dies during hard left turns, headlights don't work on another, etc. It would really mirror real-life delivery trucks, you know?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CJacobs posted:

Honestly I havent figured out the dodge move and I still love driving into a MULE camp, whipping a box at someone, and Royal Rumble-ing the lot of them when the alarm goes up. Brawling with Sam loving rules

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Danaru posted:

Honestly I havent figured out the dodge move and I still love driving into a MULE camp, whipping a box at someone, and Royal Rumble-ing the lot of them when the alarm goes up. Brawling with Sam loving rules

Bolas and non lethal guns make it easy but punching a dude into unconsciousness and yeeting his cargo into the face of the next dude over is just so satisfying

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I like the dialogue when you unlock the power gloves. Like "They could also punch someone pretty hard, but please don't. They're not for that."

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Roach Warehouse posted:

I like the dialogue when you unlock the power gloves. Like "They could also punch someone pretty hard, but please don't. They're not for that."

Sam has learned from the best, his grandfather Big Boss.

Miller did not appreciate when he found out BB was using company funds to knock out enemy snipers with 60k supply drops.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Oh my god. It IS a time loop!

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

The sticky gun has crazy range. A MULE stole my pizza from across the river.

night slime
May 14, 2014

madeintaipei posted:

That would be a good excuse to use the gigantic semi-trucks just sitting around at some of the DC's.

Has anyone modded the Death Stranding trucks into Mudrunner yet? I wish for two things from DS trucking: 1. Spintires/MudRunner truck and environment physics. 2. Every truck you drive should be hosed up in some way. This one pulls to the left because some rear end in a top hat kept on running over the near curb, that one's engine dies during hard left turns, headlights don't work on another, etc. It would really mirror real-life delivery trucks, you know?

My controller has a hosed up L2 that I have to hold down to allow for 360 movement so I kind of already have this, it impacts Sam's regular movement more than trucks though.

I hope in Death Stranding 2 they have more elaborate stuff to do with the trucks, for some reason I really enjoyed the missions from Owen Southwick where you just haul a bunch of metal from the bottom of the map and deliver it. Wouldn't have really expected it to be fun but it was. Not really sure something like those truck simulator games would have the same feel either.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Seen at the art supply store today:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
This game reminds me of Battlestar Galactica and I wonder if it’s intentional.

A female president dying of cancer while trying to lead her people out of a crisis, and a blond woman in a red dress who is trying to make humanity go extinct. In fact I’m surprised Amelie isn’t played by Tricia Helfer, she looks and sounds just like her.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The notification area on the left side of the screen is starting to grate on me. I wish the game had more UI options to fiddle with, that's one of the only major complaints I have about it. Being able to change which notifications pop up would be great, there are few things more annoying than the constant stream of "connected/disconnected from power grid" when using a motorcycle on the highway.

edit: Huh, I just noticed something I hadn't really paid attention to until now. Enabling sprint with the All-Terrain Skeleton in snow doesn't actually make you go faster. It doesn't change the speed or animation at all in fact. So I guess if you're trying to sprint through snow, save your battery, Sam already basically moves at sprinting speed!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 22, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I thought the All-Terrain Sprint ability was to slow stamina drain which otherwise plummets in snow

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought the All-Terrain Sprint ability was to slow stamina drain which otherwise plummets in snow

This. It basically converts battery to stamina.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Level 3 makes it so you don't use endurance at all (light blue bar) when you're doing stuff like running uphill, removing the need to hoist your shoulders and move slower to stay stable. Stamina (dark blue bar) doesn't seem to be affected by it though which makes it a bit less useful.

Also, endurance and stamina really should have their names swapped.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 23, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I did a huge playthrough to finish the game before taking it back to the library and chapter 14 made me think higgs was right and humanity needs to go extinct

God drat. Also I didn't get a single skeleton past level 1 and only got the rifle to level 3, I wonder how much easier things could've been

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Upgrading the skeletons increases how much bonus carry weight they give you, so probably a whole lot easier! They do make the game kinda trivial though. The all terrain skeleton lv 3 pretty much eliminates the heavy weight movement aspect of the game.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I mostly upgraded them so they'd only take up a small cargo space. Nice to have your alternate skeleton attached to your suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Plus without a fully upgraded power skeleton you can't sprint around with a 20 foot tall stack as god intended