Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I put on my woe and my wizards hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
simultaneously the best, saddest and funniest (!!) scene in wizards is the bit with the two elf rabbis in the temple, i didn't screenshot it because it needs to be seen in full motion to be believed, by which i mean you should all go out and buy a copy of wizards right now. if you've seen it before, you need to see it again, not from the viewpoint of weird horny acid movie, but as a raw scream of antifa energy and one of the last surviving artefacts of a beautiful culture that has vanished almost entirely from the face of the earth.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

anatomi posted:

Channing Tatum's a talented singer!

He is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiUIH37NhVQ

The only song I outright dislike is the one the human sings where he just basically sings Under Pressure. That didn't work for me at ALL.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Apparently Dr. Dolittle is next-level bad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Apparently the climax is removing impacted bagpipes from a dragons rear end in a top hat not a joke.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Double Toasted tore this movie up and their review of that part is absolutely hilarious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7eP5Zmfnk8&t=1548s

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
It's not money that's for sure...so WHY is RDJ in this? What were the shooting locations for this film?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Probably the 'do something for the kids' though Iron Man is pretty kid-friendly.

But yeah, the jokes were virtually non-existent in the trailer and the cgi animals looked awful - the tiger in particularly looked like one of those FAO Schwarz plushes that was ran through the wash one too many times and dried badly.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Didn't all of the advertising have him look really bored?

Actually, thinking about it now the guy never seems to smile. In movies at least.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Robindaybird posted:

Probably the 'do something for the kids' though Iron Man is pretty kid-friendly.

But yeah, the jokes were virtually non-existent in the trailer and the cgi animals looked awful - the tiger in particularly looked like one of those FAO Schwarz plushes that was ran through the wash one too many times and dried badly.

Yeah his kids should be a bit older now anyway and the Iron Man movies are decently kid friendly as you said. The other logic is paid vacation to some nice exotic places hence the shooting locations question.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

It's the second film from his production company, so I think he was trying to scale up from his last effort (The Judge, which wasn't a great film, but there were things to like about it and it basically broke even), with a bigger budget and larger release. I think he was expecting a funny kids movie would be the safest option to show he can do his own big, CGI-heavy projects. And I would think that being the top star for Disney's MCU probably made him very aware that the biggest piece of the pie doesn't go to the actors, and he wanted to move into a production role.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
this isn't new news, but I don't remember anyone mentioning this

https://twitter.com/SpiderVerse/status/1190373194374377472

hope they can live up to the first one

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

starkebn posted:

this isn't new news, but I don't remember anyone mentioning this

https://twitter.com/SpiderVerse/status/1190373194374377472

hope they can live up to the first one

It's in the OP actually! But more talk of Spider-Man fills my nerd heart with glee.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I wonder if there's any other western animation team out there that has seen Spiderverse and is angling to do something as interesting

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wow, just watcjed Toy Story 4. What a loving waste of everybody's time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If they had creative freedom in a similar vein, I’d love to see DC do something wild with the Super-Sons, Jon Kent and Damian Wayne.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

Wow, just watcjed Toy Story 4. What a loving waste of everybody's time.

Keanu Reeves got a paycheck for being Canadian so I think that was probably a good use of his day.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Keanu Reeves got a paycheck for being Canadian so I think that was probably a good use of his day.

tim allen got to show up to have nothing for his character to do again

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Remember in Toy Story 3 where he's been "re-set" most of the film for lazy Hispanic jokes? And then you're like "oh yeah" because that wasn't memorable really at all, and it just... consumed runtime on purpose... while shelving Buzz because they didn't know what to do with him? And you're like, wow, that's definitely the peak of not knowing what to do with Buzz Lightyear. ... cue Toy Story 4!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

starkebn posted:

I wonder if there's any other western animation team out there that has seen Spiderverse and is angling to do something as interesting

NPR (non photorealistic rendering) is the big new thing for studio rnd teams now that we’ve basically broken through the uncanny valley. Mikros, Reel FX, and DNEGs feature division are all trying various styles and tv studios are trying to ape more budget-friendly versions of those styles. Orange and Marza in Japan have been the most successful but many of the technical directors at those studios are English speakers from western vfx studios and are sharing their techniques (within reason of their NDAs) with the rest of the community.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The_Doctor posted:

If they had creative freedom in a similar vein, I’d love to see DC do something wild with the Super-Sons, Jon Kent and Damian Wayne.

Didn't they age Connor to adult/young adult or something to make him part of the Legion of Superhero's or some such nonsense?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ccs posted:

NPR (non photorealistic rendering) is the big new thing for studio rnd teams now that we’ve basically broken through the uncanny valley. Mikros, Reel FX, and DNEGs feature division are all trying various styles and tv studios are trying to ape more budget-friendly versions of those styles. Orange and Marza in Japan have been the most successful but many of the technical directors at those studios are English speakers from western vfx studios and are sharing their techniques (within reason of their NDAs) with the rest of the community.

I know Orange is responsible for Land of the Lustrous, but are there any other examples of NPR particularly western ones?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pick posted:

Remember in Toy Story 3 where he's been "re-set" most of the film for lazy Hispanic jokes? And then you're like "oh yeah" because that wasn't memorable really at all, and it just... consumed runtime on purpose... while shelving Buzz because they didn't know what to do with him? And you're like, wow, that's definitely the peak of not knowing what to do with Buzz Lightyear. ... cue Toy Story 4!

Buzz getting reset into thinking he's an action hero toy is a running gag now, also last I checked Hispanic audiences thought it was hilarious. It's basically him going from one culture's action hero stereotype to another.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

doomrider7 posted:

Didn't they age Connor to adult/young adult or something to make him part of the Legion of Superhero's or some such nonsense?
Jor El returned and was a dick and took Jon on a cosmic ride and he came back older and... ugh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

tim allen got to show up to have nothing for his character to do again

Id prefer he just not be allowed to show up, given the whole you know "is tim allen" thing

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I think people hate Toy Story 4 because it simply does not need to exist. Toy Story 3 closed the arc. Toy Story 4 is Disney trying to reignite the spark and causing a wildfire of terrible.

doomrider7 posted:

FilthyImp posted:

Jor El returned and was a dick and took Jon on a cosmic ride and he came back older and... ugh

Thank Brian Michael Bendis for this. As a Marvel fan, I am very sorry that DC fans have to deal with him now. He's ruining Superman like he did Miles Morales, a character he created and people loved, with "Uh oh! He can't beat this villain, let's just Venom Strike him! End battle." over and over in his solo book until he left Marvel for DC.

Also with Ultimatum. That was a trashpile.

This isn't a comics thread though so I'll stop bitching. :v:

Barudak posted:

Id prefer he just not be allowed to show up, given the whole you know "is tim allen" thing

Did he do something again?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think people hate Toy Story 4 because it simply does not need to exist. Toy Story 3 closed the arc. Toy Story 4 is Disney trying to reignite the spark and causing a wildfire of terrible.
Yeah, the movie is completely redundant. Its basically just combining different plot elements from the first 3 movies. Forky's character arc is just Buzz Lightyear's arc from the first movie. Most of the characters don't even do anything for most of the film. There isn't really a reason for them to be there, and the movie even set-up a good plot reason for them to not be present.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 19, 2020

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Ccs posted:

cool, it's harkening a bit back to Good Dinosaur discussion in that I'm way more interested in watching Spiderverse or The Book Of Kells than something angling for photorealism. I want my animation to use every aspect of the medium it can to do things that are gonzo and amazing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nah Tim Allen is still just Tim Allen so I hate him.

And yes, Toy Story 4 is absurdly bloated cast so like Jessie getting the Sheriff badge is a subplot introduced and resolved in about 3 lines of dialog and one action

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I actually really enjoyed Toy Story 4. Like the main arc was done in 3 but I like the concepts they explored.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Toy Story 4 is not really a continuation of its predecessors. Rather, it takes their established concept of living toys whose lives revolve around being playthings, and tells a new story about faith and community using their same vocabulary.

Necessary? Certainly not. Each of the previous ones was already a complete story requiring no further elaboration. But that's not the right metric to judge it by. No movie really needs to exist, y'know?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Bongo Bill posted:

Toy Story 4 is not really a continuation of its predecessors. Rather, it takes their established concept of living toys whose lives revolve around being playthings, and tells a new story about faith and community using their same vocabulary.

Necessary? Certainly not. Each of the previous ones was already a complete story requiring no further elaboration. But that's not the right metric to judge it by. No movie really needs to exist, y'know?

They should do a movie called Toy Story Movie Story where all the Toy Story movies explore the question of whether they really need to exist.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

doomrider7 posted:

I think so, yeah. Because why have your fun kid character when you can have another dour teenage character?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

I think so, yeah. Because why have your fun kid character when you can have another dour teenage character?

That sounds more like they're trying to make the character more like their Young Justice incarnation, which was pretty popular. (And thus an order of magnitude more popular than anything modern comics do)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That sounds more like they're trying to make the character more like their Young Justice incarnation, which was pretty popular. (And thus an order of magnitude more popular than anything modern comics do)

Does Connor not exist anymore?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Does Connor not exist anymore?

In comics, who loving knows, and if you don't like the answer check back in six months because DC has a hardon for reboots.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The funniest, most interesting thing about Toy Story 4 is the laser precision on how ethnic Pixar thought they could or should make Bonnie and her parents.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I liked Woodys identity crisis now that hes not #1. Deciding to gently caress off is a real "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" approach but the target audience for TS4 is like mid-late 20s now so that's pretty age appropriate.

Spanish Buzz is one of those things like Speedy Gonzales. I think part of it is that Latin media is so over-the-top that it is beyond parody. It's like Poes law.

You can have a side discussion about model minorities and the damage that portrayal can do but "sexy, suave, good dancer, romantic, hard-working and hyper-masculine" is a stereotype that a lot of people will briar rabbit. "Oh no, please dont make people think that about me!".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's not about how stupid that was per se, it was that "Buzz Lightyear" didn't even exist most of the film. They've never known what to do with him besides sideline him. He never develops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Not to mention the Spanish stereotype isn’t racially charged the way a stereotype of a Latin American culture specifically would be. It’s no worse than him suddenly acting “French”