Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Not Satan, but if we're talking about charismatic demons then we have to include Billy Zane in Demon Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Saw Underwater this afternoon, it was pretty decent. I did not expect it to be a stealth Cthulhu movie :stare::cthulhu:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Gay Horney posted:

Favorite movies with a creepy and charismatic devil/Satan figure? Along the lines of the Prophecy or Constantine or even Dogma?

David Warner in Time Bandits. I love that he's a sub-Giger, middle management version of Satan, whose idea of supreme evil is digital watches and microwave ovens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEenKy1S4S0

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

David Warner in Time Bandits. I love that he's a sub-Giger, middle management version of Satan, whose idea of supreme evil is digital watches and microwave ovens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEenKy1S4S0

Watched this so many times as a kid! "That's a good question..."

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

gey muckle mowser posted:

Saw Underwater this afternoon, it was pretty decent. I did not expect it to be a stealth Cthulhu movie :stare::cthulhu:

I've heard this and makes me really excited to check it out. Tho I still giggle when i think about it being shelved very quietly two years ago because of TJ Miller and it suddenly showing up for a January release and turning out to be decent. What a turn of fortune I guess.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/theGARFofficial/status/1218569282231115777
Didn't realize there was a lost Romero film being released

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
My fiancee has never seen The Exorcist, so we're fixing that tonight. gently caress what a great movie

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

achillesforever6 posted:

Whaaaaat

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Sarchasm posted:

Not Satan, but if we're talking about charismatic demons then we have to include Billy Zane in Demon Knight.

"gently caress this cowboy poo poo! You loving hoedown, podunk, well them there motherfuckers! All you had to do was give me the goddamn key! Then we could get on with our lives. "

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Yeah apparently a church reached out to George to make a movie on elder abuse and well they didn't like what they got lol

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

I remember hearing about this maybe a year ago and straight up forgot about it.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Gave The Lighthouse a watch and didn't expect to be just quite that profoundly bored with the film.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

AKZ posted:

Gave The Lighthouse a watch and didn't expect to be just quite that profoundly bored with the film.

I wasn't bored, myself, I actually really liked it but I just didn't find it that scary. I'd been hearing it described as "atmospheric" or that it was a "slow burn", and it was a good-looking film and the sound design was excellent, not to mention the fantastic performances from Dafoe and Pattinson, but I never really felt any major sense of dread. The only parts that kind of got to me were that close-up rant by Dafoe when Pattinson tells him he doesn't like his lobster, and that one shot with light beams coming out of Dafoe as he stands naked towering over Pattinson.

Maybe I'm only comparing the two because I saw the other recently, but it shares some similarities with Robert Altman's Images. Both are from the perspective of a protagonist slowly losing their grip on reality, and we're shown their delusions and off-kilter sense of time and place. I thought Images did a better job of putting the viewer in the head space of a mentally ill person having a breakdown. Both are really good movies though.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

its not supposed to be scary its a black comedy not a horror movie :colbert:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, I'll have to give a rewatch sometime because I kept feeling compelled to laugh despite everybody saying "oh it's a great horror movie, it's so spooky you guys!". The entire movie felt tonally like that final sequence of There Will Be Blood, but stretched out over an entire feature.

vv I think if I were trying to sell it to somebody who hadn't seen it, I'd describe it like "what if Edgar Allen Poe wrote the script for a Coen brothers movie?".

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 19, 2020

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
It had some horror elements but yeah, it's really a weirdo black comedy and I think most posts in this thread recognize that. Dafoe's "HARK!" rant is amazing and then Pattinson's response to it is absolutely hilarious. Great flick.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I really enjoyed Underwater. For those that have played it, the aesthetic is very much SOMA: The Movie.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I'm going to have a Scorsese moment and go on to say that if you don't "get" The Lighthouse, you don't get cinema.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

COOL CORN posted:

My favorite devil-adjacent-type-character is Clancy Brown as the preacher in Carnivàle

gently caress what a great show, everybody go watch it

This is an HBO show but it's on Prime if anyone here hasn't seen it, it's great.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

that one shot with light beams coming out of Dafoe as he stands naked towering over Pattinson.

this shot is incredibly powerful and also a really, really good mimic of the sascha schneider painting "hypnose".

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 19, 2020

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Lighthouse is good, but I can see someone not getting engaged in it. It's a lot like Eraserhead.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I just finished watching The Lighthouse and I loved it. From first glance I'd definitely say it's horror, it's just more of a classic Gothic Horror than anything else. You could do Goth bingo with the imagery and themes. An ominous, and desolate location. Jagged rocks. Spiral staircases that descend from light to darkness. Burials. Storms. Curses, and bad luck. Descents into madness, emotional distress, and nightmares. Supernatural creatures. The protagonist is even an anti-hero with a mysterious past. As a result it probably isn't scary, but I don't think that was the point. It's supposed to be rich, and atmospheric. It's supposed to ooze around you like a thick mist, envelope you, and give your nerve endings a tingle. It's all about feeeeeeelings

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

The Lighthouse is good, but I can see someone not getting engaged in it. It's a lot like Eraserhead.

What sort of hosed up monster wouldn't be engaged with Eraserhead?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Irony.or.Death posted:

What sort of hosed up monster wouldn't be engaged with Eraserhead?

A lot of people. I ruined a good chance at getting to third base one night because I was excited to show off my taste in movies and didn’t really think that one through. Younger me was an idiot.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
As a self-respecting cultured man I personally wouldn't put my dick in anyone who doesn't appreciate Eraserhead on at least a film-making level.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Speaking of dicks, I just finished watching The Greasy Strangler.

I uh...

Hm.

It's somehow the pinnacle of film and the pit of it, at the same time.

It's beautiful

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Speaking of dicks, I just finished watching The Greasy Strangler.

I uh...

Hm.

It's somehow the pinnacle of film and the pit of it, at the same time.

It's beautiful

this is the perfect description of it tbh i loving love that movie

IS THAT YOU BIG RONNIE

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

this is the perfect description of it tbh i loving love that movie

IS THAT YOU BIG RONNIE

BULLSHIT ARTIST

like I just want to SMG out and write a treatise on how Big Ronnie and Big Brayden are actually two halves of the same person's personality

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

do it, always write the greasy strangler effortpost

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

dorium posted:

A lot of people. I ruined a good chance at getting to third base one night because I was excited to show off my taste in movies and didn’t really think that one through. Younger me was an idiot.

Eraserhead is a movie I can totally appreciate but also never want to watch again because it wasn't any fun.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

Eraserhead is a movie I can totally appreciate but also never want to watch again because it wasn't any fun.

You say that, but it easily has the most entertaining scene of a grandma mixing salad that has ever been committed to film

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

I just rewatched Rosemary's Baby for the first time in many years and holy poo poo I forgot how unsettling it is. It's easily one of the scariest films I've ever seen and there isn't a single jump scare or special effects shot.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

I just rewatched Rosemary's Baby for the first time in many years and holy poo poo I forgot how unsettling it is. It's easily one of the scariest films I've ever seen and there isn't a single jump scare or special effects shot.

her panicked "this is no dream, this is really happening" gives me the deep shudders every single time

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Watched Butterfly Kisses, will go into it tomorrow but

They really should have worked the actual supernatural stuff into the main plot

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

AKZ posted:

I was exactly the same. I've seen other adpations of the same story so that didn't help, and I struggled with a lot of the dialogue. I'm not a fan of arty visuals and wasn't exactly taken in by it. But I found myself getting bored with the madness. Like, it just went on and on. It wasn't that it was too slow moving or a gradual slow build. It was just fundamentally boring.

My wife is a huge fan of black and white horror, loves anything gothic and ANYTHING to do with lighthouses. We've watched two other adaptions of the same story, but even she was fidgeting with boredom through it.

King Vidiot posted:

he entire movie felt tonally like that final sequence of There Will Be Blood, but stretched out over an entire feature.

Actually... this is a perfect description of the issue I had with it.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

AKZ posted:

Same. The Horror thread rarely steers me wrong, but I didn't care for The Witch either so I was kind of expecting what I got.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Just finished watching Midsommar, was I the only one expecting a monster to appear the whole time?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The Lighthouse unsettled me greatly. I found it bleakly funny but at the same time I could straight up feel the frustration of Pattinson pushing that wheelbarrow. I had a weird panicky moment during the scene at the end where he touches the light and it's just that long, drawn out distorted screaming and my home theater is so good so the screaming was everywhere and hyper loud and my brain was like, "you gotta get out of here!" and then it was over and I realized that the movie is really about two guys who don't want to admit they're gay so they live in seclusion and pretend that a boat will one day come for them. The boat is a metaphor for the acceptance of their feelings. Then the movie ended.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Untrustable posted:

The Lighthouse unsettled me greatly. I found it bleakly funny but at the same time I could straight up feel the frustration of Pattinson pushing that wheelbarrow. I had a weird panicky moment during the scene at the end where he touches the light and it's just that long, drawn out distorted screaming and my home theater is so good so the screaming was everywhere and hyper loud and my brain was like, "you gotta get out of here!" and then it was over and I realized that the movie is really about two guys who don't want to admit they're gay so they live in seclusion and pretend that a boat will one day come for them. The boat is a metaphor for the acceptance of their feelings. Then the movie ended.

I think that's a pretty accurate reading, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I enjoyed The Witch, but in retrospect after watching The Lighthouse I think I understand why; there were more than two characters and it has better defined acts. The Witch is also successful in that I'm intriuged with what is going on, The Lighthouse failed to ever set that hook for me.

As far as "getting" The Lighthouse I'm not looking for affirmation by the Scorcese-movie-opinion-approval metric.

Some people liked the movie and others didn't.