Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

I really really hope they're the dudes in the armor

BBC already announced everyone they've cast, including some obscure motherfuckers. They haven't cast Nobby/Colon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Megazver posted:

BBC already announced everyone they've cast, including some obscure motherfuckers. They haven't cast Nobby/Colon.

The IMDB has a bunch of villains from the Watch novels listed so I'm guessing they're going for them as villains of the week maybe? They've got Carcer on there, but also Wonse and Cruces (both gender swapped) and also Captain Keel from Night Watch so who knows what they're pulling from. Gender swapped Cut-Me-Own-Throat too. Who even knows.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I was trying to think what those stills reminded me of.

It's Neverwhere.

Ugh

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

I think Sybil is the deal breaker for me. The sexy vigilante bit is so played out at this point and Sybil was such a unique, real character

She's a stereotype. Read Other Books. :smugbert:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Is the tall red headed guy with the beard supposed to be Sam? Terry Pratchett always said that he pictured Sam as being played by Pete Postlethwaite, and that's honestly how I always saw him too. A giant buff Sam Vimes just seems off to me

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Epicurius posted:

Is the tall red headed guy with the beard supposed to be Sam? Terry Pratchett always said that he pictured Sam as being played by Pete Postlethwaite, and that's honestly how I always saw him too. A giant buff Sam Vimes just seems off to me

Yeah, but he's not that tall (5'8"), the chick they picked for Angua is five foot nothing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I can absolutely see him as Vimes. She's not what I expected for Angua, but she'll do. Carrot, in the other picture, looks perfect.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Richard Dormer does look like Vimes in the Paul Kidby illustrations, at least in that one shot.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

angerbeet posted:

I was trying to think what those stills reminded me of.

It's Neverwhere.

Ugh

Aaaaaaaaaaaa

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

What character is that supposed to be on the right? He looks a little bit elfish.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Beachcomber posted:

What character is that supposed to be on the right? He looks a little bit elfish.

the patrician, lord vetinari. they've changed the name to lord veriscari, though

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I thought it was Cheery on the right?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

papa horny michael posted:

the patrician, lord vetinari. they've changed the name to lord veriscari, though

Wow. It seems this is about as faithful a translation as The Rook. The BBC should feel incredibly ashamed.

Actually, is Terry Pratchett a big deal in the UK? I know he was knighted, but would he be someone that normal readers would have read? I keep preaching the gospel in the US, but honestly a lot of people haven't heard of him and are hesitant to try.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Bruceski posted:

I thought it was Cheery on the right?

Yes, it is. I think she's not a dwarf now.

Beachcomber posted:

Actually, is Terry Pratchett a big deal in the UK? I know he was knighted, but would he be someone that normal readers would have read? I keep preaching the gospel in the US, but honestly a lot of people haven't heard of him and are hesitant to try.

He's pretty high on 'most read authors' lists in UK.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He was the most shoplifted author for a long time, which is pretty good honestly.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
He's sold 90 million books globally, which puts him somewhere between George R R Martin and Anne Rice.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

I'm still optimistic about The Watch, since you can grab all sorts of stills and make a show look like whatever you want. I'm a little nervous about the direction they're taking Cheery, but I think the rest of the cast looks pretty great.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Cheery now seems to be that Gothabilly hacker girl from NCIS or whatever.

This seems a significant deviation w/r/t character.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

papa horny michael posted:

Yeah, don’t do this. It smacks very heavily of transphobia.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

While I don't have high expectations for this, I also had very low expectations for the Witcher so I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

angerbeet posted:

Cheery now seems to be that Gothabilly hacker girl from NCIS or whatever.

This seems a significant deviation w/r/t character.

Until proven otherwise, I'm just assuming that all of the characters are going to be pretty substantially removed from their book counterparts. Carrot will probably make his entrance dropping f-bombs.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why not just rename all the characters to be 'new' then, set in the Discworld with all the usual side characters.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

And for reasons I’m sure are completely unrelated, a slightly later tweet:
https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/1218087166611525637?s=20

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

There was this joke that no train was allowed to leave it's station before at least one passenger was reading a book by Pratchett.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Stroth posted:

And for reasons I’m sure are completely unrelated, a slightly later tweet:
https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/1218087166611525637?s=20
I get the implication, but I don't think "they changed all the characters explicitly of color" is gonna be the issue with The Watch.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
[quote="My Lovely Horse" post=" 501759381"]
I get the implication, but I don't think "they changed all the characters explicitly of color" is gonna be the issue with The Watch.
[/quote]

I'm not sure you did get the implication there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The broad point about TV producers changing central elements of the original work is certainly relevant, but the fact that the article is specifically about minority representation kind of undermines its applicability to The Watch, and you'd think there were plenty of articles from writers criticising adaptations of their work to make the same point with that don't have that issue.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I'm still confused that people are saying the slender lady with red hair is Sybil, when we all know Sybil is being played by Dawn French.

Please people. I need to keep believing this, just for a little while.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Maybe this is young Sybil, from the past. She's a flashback and in our time Sybil is played by Marianne Jean Baptiste

Or the therapist from crazy ex girlfriend Michael Hyatt. I did not know she was born in Britain

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 18, 2020

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sybil was just a teen in the Night Watch past when Vimes first runs 'home' after arriving in the past.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

BurgerQuest posted:

Sybil was just a teen in the Night Watch past when Vimes first runs 'home' after arriving in the past.

Which is very much not when this TV show appears to be set.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Space Butler posted:

Which is very much not when this TV show appears to be set.

It has carcer 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

And Keel

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Very excited by the news of Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley as Aunt Sadie and Aunt Dotsie.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
You see poo poo like this is why I don't pay for the TV licence

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
https://twitter.com/BBCAMERICA/status/1196807444997038080

quote:

Ruth Madeley will play the wiry Throat, the city’s best snitch, with a gang of freelance henchmen at her beck and call. #TheWatch

My Lovely Horse posted:

“I don’t know what the film is about. It’s full of scenes from the story, arranged differently, in an entirely different plot, so that they make no sense,” wrote LeGuin. “When I looked over the script, I realised the producers had no understanding of what the books are about and no interest in finding out. All they intended was to use the name Earthsea, and some of the scenes from the books, in a generic McMagic movie with a meaningless plot based on sex and violence.”

e X fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 19, 2020

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s like they had some generic forgettable urban fantasy series in development and decided to leaven it with some popular IP that they already had licensed.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Dibbler in the books would have loved to be able to afford henchmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
This is extremely dissapointing, and the worst part is that it didn't have to be. The BBC made a perfectly good adaptation of Going Postal that didn't take a hot steaming poo poo all over the original source.