Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I thought Moist was insufficiently sleazy in BBC Going Postal but I didn't hate it. Then again that's probably a consequence of not having everyone's internal monologue at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I still think the Discworld books would be adapted best as Big Finish style audio dramas.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think Discworld has Audio Dramas. I'm pretty sure I listened to one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ Guards! Guards! has definitely been adapted for radio. By the BBC, and faithfully.

Epicurius posted:

Dibbler in the books would have loved to be able to afford henchmen.

Dibbler often does have henchmen when he's at the top of one of his scams. He's in a perpetual rags to riches to rags cycle where he hits on a fifteen minute fad and always winds up back on his sausage cart.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

YggiDee posted:

Both Guards! Guards! and Night Watch had them, and they were amazing. I can't find them on the internet any more, though.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
At least the Hogfather adaption was good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

At least the Hogfather adaption was good.

YggiDee posted:

I didn't hate it.

That's about as much praise as the Hogfather adaption deserves.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Has anyone seen troll bridge yet?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I'm sad that Detritus is not in, but to be done properly he'd either be a huge hulking animatronic, or a CGI thing, both of which probably would take too much budget away from a clearly overpaid casting director.

No Nobby is -ing travesty, though.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Iacen posted:

I'm sad that Detritus is not in, but to be done properly he'd either be a huge hulking animatronic, or a CGI thing, both of which probably would take too much budget away from a clearly overpaid casting director.

The golem in Going Postal looked just fine as a suit with animatronic mouth and expressions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

hanales posted:

Has anyone seen troll bridge yet?

Parts, but not the whole. It should have been released at DWCon 2018, which I couldn't attend as a colleague was getting married and there was no cover. It looks good though.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

YggiDee posted:

Six, they're on audible. Mort, Wyrd Sisters, Guards Guards, Eric, Small Gods and Night Watch, in a bundle with Only you can save mankind.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Iacen posted:

For all we know Detritus could be in it as one of those armoured guards, since that's the direction this series seems to be taking.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Who What Now posted:

This is extremely dissapointing, and the worst part is that it didn't have to be. The BBC made a perfectly good adaptation of Going Postal that didn't take a hot steaming poo poo all over the original source.

That was probably the best one. Charles Dance as Vetinari was probably the best Vetinari we're ever getting in an adaptation.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
The only adaptations I've seen were Going Postal, which I loved, and Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic, which was fine. Though I was never hugely into Rincewind so the differences probably didn't bother me too much.

I think I'll be avoiding this though, The Watch series was always my favourite and everything about this feels off.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Point of order, the adaptations of Hogfather, Going Postal, and Colour of Magic are from Sky One, not the BBC.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Point of personal privilege: NEEERRRRDDDD

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

withak posted:

It’s like they had some generic forgettable urban fantasy series in development and decided to leaven it with some popular IP that they already had licensed.

Yeah, this is exactly what it feels like. I mean, DEATH isn't even in it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Yeah, this is exactly what it feels like. I mean, DEATH isn't even in it.

Death doesn't appear in Snuff.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Jedit posted:

Death doesn't appear in Snuff.

I thought the only Discworld book not featuring Death was The Wee Free Men? Doesn't a goblin die early on in Snuff?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I was going to complain that while I don’t mind Cruces being made into a woman the person they cast is obviously too young for the character but then I looked it up and Ingrid Oliver is 42, so, uh, never mind that.

I’m honestly not that heartened that they’re doing the greatest hits of the Watch books. Even one book is enough material for a full miniseries

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is this even going for satire/comedy like the books?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Doubtful Guest posted:

I thought the only Discworld book not featuring Death was The Wee Free Men? Doesn't a goblin die early on in Snuff?

It does but Death doesn't appear in it even as a non-speaking appearance IIRC.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Avalerion posted:

Is this even going for satire/comedy like the books?

It's being described as a "punk rock thriller"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

freelop posted:

So not actually funny, as such

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm laughing, and they haven't aired yet.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

freelop posted:

To be fair, that could be a problem with marketing, not with the show itself

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tree Bucket posted:

Not ment to be funny anyway.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I will say that the two things that consistently get me in Discworld were 'it's a pune or play on words' or Bloody Stupid Johnson. The first because it's like an idiot is explaining a pun to other idiots and the second because Pratchett seemed to keep on finding new ways to highlight how impossibly untalented BSJ was.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Untalented? That is definitely not the word to describe a man who figured out how to locally redefine a universal constant.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like how over time, Bloody Stupid Johnson went from making things with extremely dumb proportions (the ho-ho, the Ankh-Morpork landmarks) to feats of incredible engineering (the Unseen University private bathroom) to bending the fabric of reality (Empirical Crescent, The New Pie).

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Megazver posted:

That was probably the best one. Charles Dance as Vetinari was probably the best Vetinari we're ever getting in an adaptation.

Charles Dance as Vetinari?? poo poo I'm gonna have to track this down.

It seems so incredibly weird and wrong to adapt the Watch and not include Nobby and Fred. It reminds me of a story Terry told about working on an adaptation of Mort that had been going well until they had to pitch it to some Americans, who told them they loved it but to lose the Death angle.

Also while I'm here, for whatever reason my brain has always cast Porridge era Ronnie Corbett as Vimes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SirSamVimes posted:

I like how over time, Bloody Stupid Johnson went from making things with extremely dumb proportions (the ho-ho, the Ankh-Morpork landmarks) to feats of incredible engineering (the Unseen University private bathroom) to bending the fabric of reality (Empirical Crescent, The New Pie).

He truly perfected his craft, just along a different axis.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Somehow got a character arc despite not once physically appearing in the books.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Pterry was that good.*

*This could probably be posted every 10 pages without context.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Beachcomber posted:

Pterry was that good.*

*This could probably be posted every 10 words without context.

Fixed that for you.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Bruceski posted:

He truly perfected his craft, just along a different axis.

BSJ inadvertently stumbling into the eldritch dimensions is completely in character.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Shoehead posted:

Also while I'm here, for whatever reason my brain has always cast Porridge era Ronnie Corbett as Vimes.

Barker, surely?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Frazzbo posted:

Barker, surely?

Shite, wrong Ronnie, but yeah. There's something about his demeanour as Fletch that's very Vimes-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The late Paul Darrow (Avon in Blakes 7) is my go-to for Vimes, having seen him play the role in a Guards! Guards! adaptation. He didn't exactly have the look of Vimes, but he carried off the character amazingly.