Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Did Imperial Japan recognize the Geneva conventions? A lot of their policies and practices re: POWs were pretty flagrantly in breach of it.

I don't think the Nazis ever issued a statement tossing it overboard, but their official policies re: Soviet POWs were also just way beyond anything that was considered remotely acceptable.

I mean, tons of nations have breached them at one time or another, but there are a few that stand head and shoulders above the others for having policies that just completely ignored it, even if they never officially issued a press release saying that they weren't abiding by it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Japan did not ratify the geneva conventions until the 1950s.

Maybe Friedman is still stuck in the 1940s?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

The Wu-Tang Killer Bees.

This is true.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Not a fan of their “sewing buttholes shut” policy

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
One of the provisions of the Hague Accords was that it only applied to signatories. So France and England agreed not to use certain weapons on each other, but could use those weapons natives of their colonies.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

With Trump straight up pardoning murderers the US's de facto adherence to not doing warcrimes seems to be kinda hanging by a thread rn

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mlmp08 posted:

Japan did not ratify the geneva conventions until the 1950s.

Maybe Friedman is still stuck in the 1940s?

Friedman is stuck up something, not stuck on

He's the guy who last thread wanted to end all these wasteful subsidies to USAF bases. A few weeks later, the same time of the Houthi refinery attack and TUMP betaying the Kurds, he wrote a op-ed on how quiet the mideast was

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't think the Nazis ever issued a statement tossing it overboard, but their official policies re: Soviet POWs were also just way beyond anything that was considered remotely acceptable.

I'm at a Jiffy Lube and having trouble finding reputable sources supposedly the Soviet Union did not sign the Geneva Convention by WW2 [1] and Nazi policy during the war was, "they didnt sign gently caress 'em". Theres a claim that 5% of Eastern Front POWs survived whereas 95% of Western Front POWs survived.[2] I bet the math isnt so clean, but German commitment or lack of to the various war laws is fairly fascinating.

[1] https://honorflightaz.org/2014/08/signing-the-geneva-convention/

[2] http://ww2f.com/threads/eastern-front-vs-western-front-a-comparison.23068/

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing
Have a little Demon action for a snowy/sleety/rainy day:

Pour one out for another of the Westinghouse J40's victims.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

mlmp08 posted:

The Wu-Tang Killer Bees.

Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin' to gently caress with.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Kesper North posted:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kesper North posted:

:hmmyes:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Friedman was a joke 15 years ago.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Arglebargle III posted:

The only good thing about Friedman is that Matt Taibbi reviews his books.

https://delong.typepad.com/egregious_moderation/2009/01/matt-taibbi-flathead-the-peculiar-genius-of-thomas-l-friedman.html

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/late-is-enough-on-thomas-friedmans-new-book-109962/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arglebargle III posted:

Friedman was a joke twenty years ago.

some of his greatest hits

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

I don’t know if you’ve read Matt Taibbi in recent years, but he’s a full-blown Trump apologist.

It’s like being a Hugo Chavez fan because he was rude about GWB.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I love how all declassified WARPAC plans always start with “NATO totally surprise attacks us first”

Speaking of, anyone got more declassified Soviet plans like 7 Days to the River Rhine?

I don't remember what the plan was called, but I once got to peek at the attack plans for my country, Denmark. Turns out they wanted to nuke Roskilde and Frederecia, two cities I personally don't give a poo poo about, for morale reasons. They figured we really loved Frederecia because of it's commercial port, and Roskilde for it's cathedral, where 21 of our kings are buried. It makes a twisted kind of sense, but they really don't know Danish people if they thought losing a port and 21 former kings would be somehow worse for us than sitting in a tiny countryside between two nuclear bombs :confused:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

drgitlin posted:

I don’t know if you’ve read Matt Taibbi in recent years, but he’s a full-blown Trump apologist.

It’s like being a Hugo Chavez fan because he was rude about GWB.

???

?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

drgitlin posted:

That’s utterly ridiculous.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/taibbi-trump-2020-be-very-afraid-872299/

“Ten years ago, an African American won the White House in a landslide; today, the president is somewhere between a Klansman and Jimmy the Greek. The media legend is that Trump succeeds because he’s a racist, but this undersells it. Trump is 50 years behind the worst elements of the Republican Party, which spent decades carefully stuffing race under bromides like “states’ rights” and “free stuff.” The GOP now is in an all-out bucket brigade to rescue the dog whistle.”

If you think that’s apologia, I don’t know what to tell you. Taibbi, like Greenwald, has criticized the media for lousy reporting and failing to understand why Trump won. That’s not at all the same thing as being a fan of Trump.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's a hell of a tangled metaphor.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Phanatic posted:

That’s utterly ridiculous.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/taibbi-trump-2020-be-very-afraid-872299/

“Ten years ago, an African American won the White House in a landslide; today, the president is somewhere between a Klansman and Jimmy the Greek. The media legend is that Trump succeeds because he’s a racist, but this undersells it. Trump is 50 years behind the worst elements of the Republican Party, which spent decades carefully stuffing race under bromides like “states’ rights” and “free stuff.” The GOP now is in an all-out bucket brigade to rescue the dog whistle.”

If you think that’s apologia, I don’t know what to tell you. Taibbi, like Greenwald, has criticized the media for lousy reporting and failing to understand why Trump won. That’s not at all the same thing as being a fan of Trump.

If you’re stanning for Greenwald too there’s absolutely no point in us continuing with this.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PURITY TEST ROUND ONE

DRGITLIN

vs

PHANATIC

FIGHT!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://news.usni.org/2020/01/18/next-ford-class-carrier-to-be-named-after-pearl-harbor-hero-doris-miller

the Navy did something awesome

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Just the fact that it's not named for a politician alone is a blessing.

Frankly I think the rule should be no naming ships after people at all. While this gentleman deserves it, many people who don't will inevitably get on the list.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
This is a good thing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gently caress yes.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It's a little strange as that kind of thing was always for new destroyers, but it's a hell of a lot better than another president. There's not much rhyme or reason to the naming conventions at this point either way.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

CVN-82 Floaty McPlanewagon

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Carrier names should be limited to battles, dead admirals and generals, and words like enterprise. Ships should never be named after politicians unless that person is also a dead admiral or general.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

On the other hand, Trump will probably have it changed to the CSS Franklin Buchanan.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

FuturePastNow posted:

Carrier names should be limited to battles, dead admirals and generals, and words like enterprise. Ships should never be named after politicians unless that person is also a dead admiral or general.

Traditionally dead admirals get destroyers too.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Traditionally dead admirals get destroyers too.

What about non-traditionally dead Admirals?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

A.o.D. posted:

What about non-traditionally dead Admirals?

Glorious death in battle - destroyer.
Autoerotic asphyxiation - no destroyer

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

We're saving the names of the auto-erotic asphyxiatiors for when we start building diesel-electric subs again.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

FuturePastNow posted:

Disagree, they should be states.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So what should the USN name after Nixon?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Nothing

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If they ever name a ship after Trump Iran and China have my personal permission to shoot it with an ASM.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

So what should the USN name after Nixon?

Naval Special Warfare Command comes to mind, you want to really capture the essence of Nixon in today’s navy your gonna need the Eddie Gallagher’s and Chris Kyle types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've always thought the Royal Navy had way cooler names. Dreadnought, Victory, Indomitable, Nemesis, Inflexible, Indefatigable, Warspite, Iron Duke, Black Prince, Conqueror, Thunderer gently caress yeah.

George H.W. Bush? not quite as terrifying