Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

In this episode, we get our bearings and discover our new surroundings. We get to meet some lovely new people and scare the ever-loving poo poo out of them, we recruit a new companion and we get to have a reunion with a relative. I mentioned in the last update that there was a very involving puzzle upcoming (the chemistry set), I'm holding off on that until the next episode as I didn't think my brain can cope with it this morning (positive real-life stuff keeping me up late). I cut out several minutes of a slightly involved puzzle in this episode for reasons that will become obvious when you see it.

I was planning to start a new LP this weekend but the real-life stuff has delayed it slightly. I'll be starting an LP of Full Throttle: Remastered within the next couple of days.
It was a relief to return to actual comedy with real jokes. Too bad it only lasted, what, five minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm beginning to see why I hadn't heard of this game before this LP...

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
This whole game has just been a big long chain of unfair and annoying ever since we started the prison section. Do we ever get to go back to the starting areas of the game? I remember there were a few places we didn't visit.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

SSNeoman posted:

I cannot put into words what a letdown it was for the game to give you a robot with lasers and missiles and poo poo and then continue pestering you with silly puzzles.

We have a robot capable of genocide and we will be using it for anything other than that. I think that's meant to be one of the jokes.

Tombot posted:

This whole game has just been a big long chain of unfair and annoying ever since we started the prison section. Do we ever get to go back to the starting areas of the game? I remember there were a few places we didn't visit.

We will get back to the original area of the game and we will visit both of the locations that we missed, I should have explored those places before I advanced the plot. I've taken a couple of screenshots of the locations.

Here is the Omniclub, it's closed and the only things that we can interact with are the sign and the door:

The other place that we didn't visit was the Junk Ship. There's only one thing that we can interact with, a crashed car that Feeble is more than happy to play around with:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This is going to end with a good old switcheroo and Filbert being dragged off to Feeble's intended death, isn't it?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Merry Christmas everyone! Well, it's the 25th here in England right now. In this episode, I rant a little about the chemistry puzzle before completing it. We also make our escape from Filbert's laboratory, kill some of the local wildlife and manipulate the native population into working for us.

I hope you all have a good time doing whatever you're going to do today!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is going to end with a good old switcheroo and Filbert being dragged off to Feeble's intended death, isn't it?

Hopefully, but without the switcheroo.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I was surprised SAM didn't just melt the door since he showed he could do that to our ship's hull

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

I was surprised SAM didn't just melt the door since he showed he could do that to our ship's hull

I was more surprised that he was able to burn down the door from the outside even though we didn't even see him leave the room.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I assume he left while we foisted Filbert onto the thing.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, we finally find a way to escape the planet Filb and get back to Metro Prime.

The next video will be the utter bullshit segment, the main one amongst all the others, where the developer's released an official saved game so people could progress past it. I've already tried the debug menu which also works as a bypass, I'll show it all off and why when I record the next episode.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I seem to remember this being the point I stopped playing at.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I can't wait to see what the 'thing' is that caused so many problems.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Tombot posted:

I can't wait to see what the 'thing' is that caused so many problems.

Given the quality of the game to date, I'm looking forward to discovering just how bad this thing can possibly be.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

As much as I forgot about the chemistry puzzle, the solution is always the same so you can use a guide to get through it. I'm not going to spoil anything with this one, this one is meant to be "fun."

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

As much as I forgot about the chemistry puzzle, the solution is always the same so you can use a guide to get through it. I'm not going to spoil anything with this one, this one is meant to be "fun."

Seeing as our character is in an arcade, I'm guessing it's some form of horrible minigame(s). This is the right era for it, and it might even be one of those things where modern processor speeds make it far faster or harder than originally intended.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just finished recording the arcade segment and it was disgusting to record, I disliked it with a passion and I'm glad that it's over! I just wanted to share this before I've calmed down and have finished editing an hour's worth of recording into about five minutes of anything tangible.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Sounds good :munch:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Here it is, the part of the game that annoyed people so much the developers released a save game to circumvent it. The mini-games are randomised and are of varying degrees of difficulty and time limits. What doesn't help is that there is another mini-game where you can lose a good chunk of tokens because of horrible mechanics, you can see just how little pressure is needed in the video to actually collect two items from it. This part of the game is horrible because it's mandatory and there is no quick solution in-game, you have to do it to progress. Thankfully, ScummVM comes with a debugger and I show off just how good that it can be in the video.

In addition to the mini-games, this video was a pain to record in other ways. When I did a test run, the Goblin Bashing appeared three times in a row for the first round, but when it came to recording it took no less than a dozen attempts for it to appear again. You can't quit the mini-games either, if you are stuck then you have to wait out the timer. The coin game showed up no less than five times and it lasts for at least four minutes. I mentioned the grabber mechanics above because they are very deceiving and unfair, it's twenty tokens a pop and there are no hints on how to adjust it correctly.

Usually, I try and look at anything differently and try to take something positive from it. I'm sorry to say that the only positive that I can take from this part of the game is that it's over. The next part of the game will involve exploring some new areas.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 5, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...yeah, okay, that's some bullshit all right.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I suppose you could savescum a bit here, and if you are lucky enough to get three easily beatable games in a row you might be able to progress a lot faster, but thats a lot of if's. I've been playing the Coin Game recently and I'd definately recommend that to anyone if you want to experience a real arcade.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
God, I can hear your clenched teeth through this one. I was vaguely aware of this part of The Feeble Files, but fuuuck it's bad. It's so bad :stonklol:.

That announcer is the insufferable icing on the cake. "No way! YOU'VE LOST! :smuggo:"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tombot posted:

I suppose you could savescum a bit here, and if you are lucky enough to get three easily beatable games in a row you might be able to progress a lot faster, but thats a lot of if's. I've been playing the Coin Game recently and I'd definately recommend that to anyone if you want to experience a real arcade.

This is exactly what I did and it was still a pain in the rear end.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I remember playing, finishing and mostly enjoying this game as a child, but somehow I don't remember that at all. I think I must have blacked it out of my mind like a repressed memory

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I thought that the last episode was the worst one so far, this one wasn't much better. In this episode, we encounter an unashamedly racial stereotype that really caught me by surprise and it threw me off afterwards. We meet someone new and are immediately an rear end in a top hat to them, we also visit a couple of new locations and become even more of a dick. We do something nice for someone at the end though. I'm not going to spoil anything but this episode made me feel very uncomfortable very early on.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Hey, I noticed some new entries in the encyclopedia section. Are we going to go through them all in a later update?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Tombot posted:

Hey, I noticed some new entries in the encyclopedia section. Are we going to go through them all in a later update?

I plan to go through them all in a separate video after the game has ended. Entries are getting added often so I'm going to wait until we have a complete list.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
The Wurbles remind me of the Snerfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6HfKWRZLwo

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I was thinking about tribbles at first with regards to the quickly multiplying population, but they don't eat the corpse of their victims.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Gardum is prob the coolest and funnest character in this game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Let's be honest here; If we hadn't been the one to kill the guy at the docking bay, one of the freighter captains would've done it eventually.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Ugh that camera/porthole puzzle is so dumb. "I'll send a distraction to the port, watch out for it" and the answer isn't to go to the port, but to go to a completely random window and look out of it with a camera to cause the ship to arrive by magic

I do like the "What do you think I would do?" "Get someone else to sort it out for you" joke though, props for that

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
This is definitely a game with solid writing (aside from the racist caricature obviously), but terrible gameplay ideas. Not just the puzzles, but the greeting every time you open your inventory, which grates really quickly.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Feeble does a lot of things that I really can't explain but we do them because we have to. We go to the Omni Club and do some things that make no sense, we go to the confessional for some reason and then we do things at the airlock just because.

This episode was a lot shorter than intended even though I over-recorded, travelling around takes up a lot of time in this game.

CountryMatters posted:

Ugh that camera/porthole puzzle is so dumb. "I'll send a distraction to the port, watch out for it" and the answer isn't to go to the port, but to go to a completely random window and look out of it with a camera to cause the ship to arrive by magic

I do like the "What do you think I would do?" "Get someone else to sort it out for you" joke though, props for that

Most adventure games had progression which was plot-based or made sense logically. But unfortunately, there were many games that invoked nonsensical actions and/or had sequences which were extremely tedious to trigger. Welcome to the latter, you're going to love this video!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The blue filter turns the photo from black and white to colour.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The blue filter turns the photo from black and white to colour.

Thank you for the clarification.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
This reminds me of the infamous cat hair mustache puzzle, in that it requires actions that extend beyond what is expected or what is reasonable and could only make sense in retrospect if at all. In some cases our actions don't have expected results but are required regardless.

Tombot fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 19, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's like that one guy said, adventure games didn't die. They committed suicide.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Doubleposting but

I think the part I find the most frustrating, and only because it keeps coming up, is Feeble's loving watch. Like let's be frank, Full Throttle's item menu wasn't the greatest but it was serviceable. Monkey Island loving came out before this and its menu looked like a 4x3 grid which was easy to navigate and required minimum scrolling bullshit.
And if the encyclopedia is such a large part of its game, why didn't the company give the players more than 5 loving lines? Just have the watch pop open a hologram menu and give the text the entire screen. I cannot imagine that was harder to program than this poo poo.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Holy gently caress I've just noticed what the next segment is and I want to pull out my own brain through my ear hole! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013
The Feeble Files in a nutshell:

Holy gently caress I've just noticed what the next segment is and I want to pull out my own brain through my ear hole! :argh: