Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

GoGoGadget posted:

Nah, I have the brown and blue card. I have full access. I was more asking about the VA card, since I imagine I will need that when we go back stateside.

Nah. You’re retired. You don’t need the VA card unless you’re using VA healthcare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

who is going to be the first to roll around the PX intentionally drawing the ire of a CSM?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I used to use the shooting range at Benning when I was med retired, and my beard and hair drove every motherfucker up the wall if I stopped to get gas or something to eat.

It was pretty funny, as I'm also older so no one was game to test their rank might.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Does anyone have any experience with the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers? Anyone used it? How did it go for you?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

not caring here posted:

I used to use the shooting range at Benning when I was med retired, and my beard and hair drove every motherfucker up the wall if I stopped to get gas or something to eat.

It was pretty funny, as I'm also older so no one was game to test their rank might.

That's weird, because I always assumed that anyone with non-reg hair or facial hair was either retired, separated, or a civilian. The one time I questioned any of that was a dude in the mess hall who had an earring and a couple of day's growth on his face, but I (a Marine) was told that soldiers can get away with that on leave (may or may not have been the case, but it wasn't my place to question it.)

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I grew beards every time I took leave. USAF.

You crayon eating fucks are just weird.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

haha I’d love for someone to run up to me while pumping gas about my shave

I mean to be fair I didn’t think it was something people got mad about unless they personally knew you

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Unless I'm in uniform, uniform standards can suck a dick.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'm frequently disappointed when I walk around an army post without a shave and nobody gets on my case about it.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
There was a Canadian Forces major attached to my BDE at one point who had a full beard, and I'm sure it drove everywhere single NCO up a wall.

Later learned from an officer that I know in the CF that the guy was almost certainly lying about being allowed to have a beard like that. Godspeed to that hairy devil.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

berzerkmonkey posted:

That's weird, because I always assumed that anyone with non-reg hair or facial hair was either retired, separated, or a civilian. The one time I questioned any of that was a dude in the mess hall who had an earring and a couple of day's growth on his face, but I (a Marine) was told that soldiers can get away with that on leave (may or may not have been the case, but it wasn't my place to question it.)

About the time I got out they were starting this "must shave every day even on leave " bullshit that I'm not sure even took off completely. And there's also how close you stray to the poop. At Benning if you were over on main post near the army marksmanship unit, zero fucks. If you kept going and went near batt, turbo fucks.

Up near the big center building that was started with not much besides sncos and big brass, that was the funniest spot to see brains internally snap over such ferociously important things as facial hair, but not having the balls to do anything about it because of who the person might be or might know.

I thought of it as a little bonus when getting gas.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

Unless I'm in uniform, uniform standards can suck a dick.

If I actually lived near a navy base I'd travel to the exchange in nothing but blue coveralls, black belt, and black boots just to see how many shipmates I could get since I shave my head anyways.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Ok that'd be loving funny.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

oh my god people would absolutely lose it. You wouldn’t make it from the parking spots

I’d be the one in a flight suit yelling at you for wearing pajamas

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Walk around during retreat

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Flying_Crab posted:

Walk around during retreat

That don't fly, even if you are a civilian. Everyone will yell at you.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

berzerkmonkey posted:

That don't fly, even if you are a civilian. Everyone will yell at you.

Is there any basis in law for this? Pretty sure there isn't. But anyway:

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/trump-continued-to-talk-while-retreat-bugle-call-played-1.492297

Gwamp
Apr 18, 2003

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo,
So I want to get a fresh copy of my dd214 as mine as disappeared due to moving around. Should i search out a local vet rep or is there a decent way to get one online? I have never tried to get anything from the VA, but i know it is a mess. Google just brought up a bunch of paid ads to get one. Not even sure where to start.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I left the army in 2011. No disability rating, but I have a Purple Heart which someone told me once meant I got medical care, maybe. Anyway I’m at an urgent care in the VA network right now and I’m wondering if the VA is going to send me a heinous bill because I gave them my Va Id for insurance

Time fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 19, 2020

Gwamp
Apr 18, 2003

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo,

Thanks!

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Time posted:

I left the army in 2011. No disability rating, but I have a Purple Heart which someone told me once meant I got medical care, maybe. Anyway I’m at an urgent care in the VA network right now and I’m wondering if the VA is going to send me a heinous bill because I gave them my Va Id for insurance

Your good. It’s extremely unlikely that they send you a bill. Just get better, brother.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Also, get rated. Don't wait 18 years like I did.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Time posted:

With the Mission Act, you do not need to notify them you are going to urgent care, but you must first be enrolled into VA healthcare. A VA ID does not mean that you are enrolled into VA healthcare. If you're not enrolled into VA healthcare, then it's extremely likely you are going to be billed, as you are not a VA patient.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Sarah posted:

With the Mission Act, you do not need to notify them you are going to urgent care, but you must first be enrolled into VA healthcare. A VA ID does not mean that you are enrolled into VA healthcare. If you're not enrolled into VA healthcare, then it's extremely likely you are going to be billed, as you are not a VA patient.

I ended up paying the bill in cash because the guy told me it was 200 if I did that or either $0 or $2500, based on whether or not I was enrolled in VA healthcare.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Also, get rated. Don't wait 18 years like I did.

I waited 14 years and I'm talking to a Veteran Service Officer next week about getting that process started. How hosed am I?

(I've finally started getting a lot of poo poo done after years of wallowing in untreated depression and PTSD. Some good friends gave me the swift kick in the rear end I needed to get some help)

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

DantetheK9 posted:

I waited 14 years and I'm talking to a Veteran Service Officer next week about getting that process started. How hosed am I?

(I've finally started getting a lot of poo poo done after years of wallowing in untreated depression and PTSD. Some good friends gave me the swift kick in the rear end I needed to get some help)

Not hosed. Service connected is service connected. The VA is a big lumbering pile of poo poo but don't get discouraged. Your VSO is the expert and should guide you.

Submit everything. I was once advised to withhold my non VA medical treatments because it would drastically lengthen the process. Do not do this!

The main point is, your service caused things. Communicate everything about these things, as well as anything that could be secondary or tertiary to things.

I have a Vietnam era friend who was recently rated, so time is not relevant.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

Booger Presley posted:

Not hosed. Service connected is service connected. The VA is a big lumbering pile of poo poo but don't get discouraged. Your VSO is the expert and should guide you.

Submit everything. I was once advised to withhold my non VA medical treatments because it would drastically lengthen the process. Do not do this!

The main point is, your service caused things. Communicate everything about these things, as well as anything that could be secondary or tertiary to things.

I have a Vietnam era friend who was recently rated, so time is not relevant.

Okay, that has me a little less freaked out. I've already got my current medical records from my doc and my therapist (Including my recent "Holy poo poo, that's hosed" hearing test. The odds of that being connected to me spending most of my enlistment on fighter bases are pretty drat good, I think)

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Yeah, I'm all about telling people to start their retirement savings as soon as they turn 18.

Guess I need to combine it with make copies of all medical records, get every single ache documented before you get out and make an appointment with a VSO for the week you're discharged. I left $150k-ish on the table because "I'll get to it one day."

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
Guys, im going through a lot of tough poo poo and just needed to know as I am not going to drop this voc rehab class (I am 12 credits from finishing my BAS degree finally) what happens if I fail a class in Voc Rehab even with a 3.8 GPA and no prior issues. Will I lose the help ill need to finish this degree?

I am in Calc and literally going in to class tomorrow for a test that I may not be able to answer one question but I do not want to drop out. I am going through a divorce and child separation that started about two weeks ago and I just shut off in class.

But I do not want to withdraw or anything. I just want to know if I cant come back from this will I get another shot at it? I was also going to touch base with my VRnE counselor so he knows whats going on and I guess to get his advice too.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, bro, you're good. I know a guy getting a 4th try at it because he's deep into his degree.

Just keep your counselor up to date.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
just sitting here crying man ive never failed a test i cant withdrawl and refuse to im going through this evil bitch taking kids man i get why people just be like gently caress it

and its my fault i didnt pay attention. if i keep worrying about this test im going to have a panic attack im just going to try to ignore it and eat poo poo tomorrow turn in the mostly blank calc 2 test and walk away

one semester away and a crazy bitch no matter where who when or how can parachute right in and gently caress it up

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well if it's any consolation, from what I hear about calc 2 you won't be the only one turning in a nearly blank test.

If you know you are boned, just finish out the semester picking up what little bits you can, concentrate on your other subjects. Use your calc time to sort out your home life. Skip some classes if need be.

Voc rehab is there to help (for the most part), they have poo poo like this happen to their clients all the time, they understand.

So there's no need to stress about tomorrow. Yeah, okay, you'll maybe finish a semester late, but big deal. I'm sure most of us in here bombed a class, or had to take a semester off for whatever reason. I took one off last semester because of medical issues.

Just take care of what you can now, salvage what you can for a good start next semester.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

DantetheK9 posted:

My dad waited 50 years and got his rating two years ago. Life changing poo poo. You've got one up on him by being proactive about this before you're an old man.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

calc 2 is a motherfucker. lots of people struggle with it. just put down something. if you can't remember a step, wing it and hope for partial credit via error carried forward.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I failed pre calculus and took this class three times. It got me kicked out of College after my first year because it was a 6 credit F, wrote a letter to the Dean to get back in, got a D in Calculus One AFTER failing it the first time, then managed a C in Calc two after therapy and getting my poo poo together. I now have a Master's in a STEM degree and was highly praised during my graduate degree and at my current position post college. It ain't loving over. Don't give up

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Does anybody know if there's a way to get a dependent healthcare coverage if I don't qualify for the CHAMPVA program? I'm 60%

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.
SO

I've hit 5 years of disability and a review has come up. I was expecting it back in March, but then covid hit, and I forgot all about it. Now they've scheduled me for the middle of April.

Of course, actually going in for the review is going to be a problem. WHY are they still doing these reviews during a pandemic? It exposes everyone, the disabled and the contracted employees unnecessarily, and at any rate, there's six million people applying for unemployment and the economy isn't moving. Why are you trying to kick people off disability now? Just wait a few months. Of course, this is not surprising in any way, but there has to be a lawsuit somewhere there.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
A few days ago I got an email about a review coming up with contractor QTC (I’m just about to hit my five years too). Just today I got a text saying all reviews conducted by QTC are on hold. So, might want to call the reviewer and find out if it’s still happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Bellum posted:

SO

I've hit 5 years of disability and a review has come up. I was expecting it back in March, but then covid hit, and I forgot all about it. Now they've scheduled me for the middle of April.

Of course, actually going in for the review is going to be a problem. WHY are they still doing these reviews during a pandemic? It exposes everyone, the disabled and the contracted employees unnecessarily, and at any rate, there's six million people applying for unemployment and the economy isn't moving. Why are you trying to kick people off disability now? Just wait a few months. Of course, this is not surprising in any way, but there has to be a lawsuit somewhere there.

They scheduled you an in person appointment instead of telehealth...? Weird. My VA is pretty much completely shut down, urgent appointments only. Everything else is Telehealth.