Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Sibyl Disobedience posted:

The DS3 DLC and Sekiro make this most explicit, but a big thematic angle is that immortality comes both at the cost of earlier mortality for those around them and as a rot eating away at the fundamental fabric of the world.

I'm playing through Sekiro for the first time right now (currently stuck on the Demon of Hatred), and while it's not a Souls game, I hadn't connected that thematic point with DS until now. I've been avoiding any lore dives until I beat the game and see what I missed.

I had mostly spent my playthrough going "so Miyazaki moved on to using Blade of the Immortal as inspiration, huh."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

I always found it weird when people are concerned about whether a dog will die In a movie about, say, teenagers choking to death on their own melting lungs in an ice cold trench

https://doesthedogdie.com also has warnings for other trauma triggers like needles, domestic violence, or seizure warnings. It's actually quite useful.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

RareAcumen posted:

I thought it was just a disguise in 2, where's this coming from?

Yeah, Pliskin is the codename he uses in 2 when he doesn't want to be identified as Snake, his "real" name is David iirc, but still he goes by Snake or Pliskin which is the point I was making there.

watho posted:

it’s a fantastic video and it’s fairly short considering how much ground it covers and how in depth it goes. so if you have half an hour free i highly recommend it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr4RvdREwl8

Thanks I'll watch it later.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He never goes by Snake and Pliskin at the same time. A Cline equivalent would just be called Kurt "Snake" Pliskin and speak entirely in Escape from New York quotes.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

*cough* john "die hardman" mcclane

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

well yes ok but again, cline would make it so much worse

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dr. Strangelove mother of Otacon the otaku convention

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That's still a dumb comparison because it's not Kojima going "look at famous thing famous thing is cool", it's him naming characters after famous things. You might as well give Araki poo poo for naming Stands after band names. Well, Snake is an exception but MG1 ripped off a lot of poo poo at a time that games ripped off a lot of poo poo anyway.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

there’s a pretty big difference between naming poo poo after pop culture you like and just taking that pop culture and putting it in your story. having a character be called die hardman is stupid as gently caress but cline had his main character just straight up reenacting movies

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Dumb Kojima poo poo makes me smile, Ernest Cline poo poo makes me want to die

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hel posted:

Yeah, Pliskin is the codename he uses in 2 when he doesn't want to be identified as Snake, his "real" name is David iirc, but still he goes by Snake or Pliskin which is the point I was making there.

Thanks I'll watch it later.

I mean there’s also reference in Dave and his husband best friend, with whom he raises a daughter on a helicopter, Hal.

That said they aren’t literally HAL the computer and Dave so. Point still stands.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
seven hours for a video about death stranding? lmao, please.

https://twitter.com/jph_anderson/status/1218288969282211840

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah that'll be a mess.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I did the Polygon quiz and my Kojima name is Scalpel Artilleryman. :blastu:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Calico Heart posted:

I always found it weird when people are concerned about whether a dog will die In a movie about, say, teenagers choking to death on their own melting lungs in an ice cold trench

It's because an animal is unambiguously innocent in a way an adult or teenage human is not, and the death of a pet is a much more familiar and relatable experience to most First World people compared to infant mortality.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Surely there are more economical ways of doing a project for a franchise. Maybe focus on one game and book at a time, do a video for it then move on to the next? Maybe also not get bogged down in doing everything in the game because you feel that if you don't uncover that one last "?" it may radically change your view of it?

Well, he's a grown-rear end man. If he wants to spend thousands upon thousands of hours on a project (which is just bananas to me) then so be it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Boy I hope it's really good or he might just disintegrate into a cloud of ash and disappear if it's not received well

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

YaketySass posted:

It's because an animal is unambiguously innocent in a way an adult or teenage human is not, and the death of a pet is a much more familiar and relatable experience to most First World people compared to infant mortality.

yea I mean the average person consuming your media probably has more of a personal link with 'an animal I have a connection to died' than watching a child die in front of them. Obviously both are sad but one typically has an actual emotional memory in the viewer and the other is a more abstract 'well yes obviously this is a bad thing and very sad'.

Plus yea, animals are innocent most times, a kid can do something that fucks up or whatever that leads to their death but an animal typically has death inflicted on them more random and carelessly.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

but also does the dog die lists a lot more things than just if the dog dies or not. it’s a general like trigger warning type website at this point

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hel posted:

Also Hideo Kojima named the Metal Gear main character Snake Plissken, how the gently caress is that not down at the Ernest Cline level?

because it's one relatively small reference, that's been grandfathered into the franchise for 30 plus years, in a story that is otherwise extremely doing its own thing and not made up entirely of references

referencing other works isn't inherently bad, you just can't only do that

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dias posted:

That's still a dumb comparison because it's not Kojima going "look at famous thing famous thing is cool", it's him naming characters after famous things. You might as well give Araki poo poo for naming Stands after band names. Well, Snake is an exception but MG1 ripped off a lot of poo poo at a time that games ripped off a lot of poo poo anyway.

I am of the opinion that Araki's naming schemes for Stands is extremely stupid, because it resulted in hilariously terrible localizations of the names. The Tarot naming scheme is pretty good, but I cannot take a UFO just openly called "American Idiot" seriously. Also, "he's 'GioGio' so it counts" is just so dumb lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm not an amazing wikipedia on MGS like I am with Dragon Quest 11, did everyone start talking about movies they liked in the Codecs of MGS1 or was that started in MGS3?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I view MGS2 and MGS3 were the peaks of kojimas career and writing(as batshit as it can be) 4 was a weird mess and 5 had some moments but was full of weird dumbshit(quiet, no real story) and cut content. death stranding is death stranding for better or worse.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Maybe also not get bogged down in doing everything in the game because you feel that if you don't uncover that one last "?" it may radically change your view of it?

Ohohoho,

Super Mario Odyssey - It's No Masterpiece
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYJx5xt2cB0

Breath of the Wild - Not Enough Zelda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T15-xfUr8z4

To put it simply, Joseph Anderson is obsessed with completion. He will ruin a game for himself playing games in ways which was never intended. Even though he hates it. To the bitter end.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Star Trek automatic door swished open in front of me, making the famous sound, and I walked into the room. At first I thought the bald man in front of me was Captain Picard, but when he turned around, I saw I was wrong. The lean, muscular man wearing an 80s-style wifebeater looked exactly like Bruce Willis's character from Die Hard. Die Hard was a classic action film from back in the day, where Bruce Willis's character, John McClane, climbed the Nakatomi Plaza tower to fight the evil Hans Gruber, played by Alan Rickman, who also played Snape in Harry Potter.
"Hi, Ernest," said the bald man. "I'm John McClane, but you can just call me Die Hard Man."
I gasped. My eyes shot out of my head just like Jim Carey's did in The Mask. It was really him!
"Yippie-ky-yay!" I exclaimed.
"...Motherfucker," said John McClane, finishing his famous catchphrase.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

can we lay this argument to rest now

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dabir posted:

The Star Trek automatic door swished open in front of me, making the famous sound, and I walked into the room. At first I thought the bald man in front of me was Captain Picard, but when he turned around, I saw I was wrong. The lean, muscular man wearing an 80s-style wifebeater looked exactly like Bruce Willis's character from Die Hard. Die Hard was a classic action film from back in the day, where Bruce Willis's character, John McClane, climbed the Nakatomi Plaza tower to fight the evil Hans Gruber, played by Alan Rickman, who also played Snape in Harry Potter.
"Hi, Ernest," said the bald man. "I'm John McClane, but you can just call me Die Hard Man."
I gasped. My eyes shot out of my head just like Jim Carey's did in The Mask. It was really him!

thats beautiful.

https://thewaether.itch.io/ready-player-gently caress

someone made a free/pay game parody of ready player one. its amusing as gently caress.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I thought the catchphrase was Mister Falcon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dabir posted:

Do we get a digression on how the cop was played by Reginald Veljohnson and that he was also in Ghostbusters and noting 'interesting and amusing debates' about whether he was the same character raged long into the night? I think we do.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

Ohohoho,

Super Mario Odyssey - It's No Masterpiece
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYJx5xt2cB0

Breath of the Wild - Not Enough Zelda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T15-xfUr8z4

To put it simply, Joseph Anderson is obsessed with completion. He will ruin a game for himself playing games in ways which was never intended. Even though he hates it. To the bitter end.

Yeah, I know of those. I sat through them, which made me wary of any of his stuff. I wasn't big on Breath of the Wild (I liked it plenty but I didn't think it was the a modern masterpiece of video games) but it's extremely obvious that korok seeds were just a fun little thing that you discover off the beaten path and aren't something you're supposed to actively engage in finding them, unless you really, extremely like the game. Same with the stars or galaxies or whatever you collect in Odyssey. If you really like the platforming then you go after those harder ones but if you're more casual about it then you go after those easy ones.

And, you know, korok seeds being poop is kind of a big give away that it's kind of a silly joke.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j_pdKwTuWc

i agree with joe on this though. its an interesting game but its limited as gently caress.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, I know of those. I sat through them, which made me wary of any of his stuff. I wasn't big on Breath of the Wild (I liked it plenty but I didn't think it was the a modern masterpiece of video games) but it's extremely obvious that korok seeds were just a fun little thing that you discover off the beaten path and aren't something you're supposed to actively engage in finding them, unless you really, extremely like the game. Same with the stars or galaxies or whatever you collect in Odyssey. If you really like the platforming then you go after those harder ones but if you're more casual about it then you go after those easy ones.

And, you know, korok seeds being poop is kind of a big give away that it's kind of a silly joke.

The video posted:

900 sounds like a lot. And it is. It’s actually insane that there are that many. But I am certain you’re not meant to find all of these—you’re not even meant to find MOST of them. 900 seeds isn’t there as a number so the game sounds like it has a ton of content. It’s there because by having so many, they can be crammed all over the place for people to find easily without being glaringly obvious. I found almost 300 of these seeds across the 150 hours that I played Breath of the Wild. And I am certain that I likely missed another 300 hidden in those same areas I went through. This is the equivalent of casting a really wide net for players—another person who put in the same amount of hours I did may have also found hundreds of seeds. But they’re likely to be a completely different set.

???

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Jimbot posted:

I feel like Odyssey struck a nice ballance of rewarding completionists while also giving you multiple natural stopping points for people who've had their fun already.

I'm actually surprised how there aren't more people mad about the Korok seed 100% reward, thats some Johnathan Blow level completionist trolling right there.

Sibyl Disobedience
Mar 16, 2018

A Fire Keeper's soul is a draw for humanity, and held within their bosoms, below just a thin layer of skin, are swarms of humanity that writhe and squirm.

Shinji2015 posted:

I'm playing through Sekiro for the first time right now (currently stuck on the Demon of Hatred), and while it's not a Souls game, I hadn't connected that thematic point with DS until now. I've been avoiding any lore dives until I beat the game and see what I missed.

I had mostly spent my playthrough going "so Miyazaki moved on to using Blade of the Immortal as inspiration, huh."

Sekiro definitely has thematic connections to the Souls series, and definitely has foreshadowed references (if not explicit universe linking) in the other games, most particularly Old Hunter Yamamura in Bloodborne. And having typed this out I just realized how the Sekiro endings tie into everything, so that's helpful.

Anyway, for me the most interesting thematic carryover between Souls is the parallel between Hawkeye Gough in Dark Souls 1 and the Sculptor in Sekiro. Once you figure out that one, you can start seeing the universes in a completely different shadow.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Surely there are more economical ways of doing a project for a franchise. Maybe focus on one game and book at a time, do a video for it then move on to the next? Maybe also not get bogged down in doing everything in the game because you feel that if you don't uncover that one last "?" it may radically change your view of it?

Well, he's a grown-rear end man. If he wants to spend thousands upon thousands of hours on a project (which is just bananas to me) then so be it.

Chris Davis did the first two games that way:

Witcher 1

Witcher 2

I think it’s a much more sane and approachable way to cover those games both for the video creator and the viewer.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Sibyl Disobedience posted:

Sekiro definitely has thematic connections to the Souls series, and definitely has foreshadowed references (if not explicit universe linking) in the other games, most particularly Old Hunter Yamamura in Bloodborne. And having typed this out I just realized how the Sekiro endings tie into everything, so that's helpful.

Anyway, for me the most interesting thematic carryover between Souls is the parallel between Hawkeye Gough in Dark Souls 1 and the Sculptor in Sekiro. Once you figure out that one, you can start seeing the universes in a completely different shadow.

I've been obsessed with the Souls series since they started, but I've never managed to finish Sekiro. Are you going to be publishing the result of your project anywhere? Would be deeply interesting in seeing.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Takoluka posted:

I am of the opinion that Araki's naming schemes for Stands is extremely stupid, because it resulted in hilariously terrible localizations of the names. The Tarot naming scheme is pretty good, but I cannot take a UFO just openly called "American Idiot" seriously. Also, "he's 'GioGio' so it counts" is just so dumb lol

The localization can be hit or miss but Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price is an incredible stand name.

Sibyl Disobedience
Mar 16, 2018

A Fire Keeper's soul is a draw for humanity, and held within their bosoms, below just a thin layer of skin, are swarms of humanity that writhe and squirm.

Hungry posted:

I've been obsessed with the Souls series since they started, but I've never managed to finish Sekiro. Are you going to be publishing the result of your project anywhere? Would be deeply interesting in seeing.

I want to complete my other project first (which sucks because voice recording and video editing are emotionally draining and boring compared to writing about this), but after that I do plan on publishing the Soulsborne project. I'll probably even release it uncompleted, half because I think it's too massive to figure out myself and maybe it'll inspire other people to answer the soapstone, and half because releasing something in an incomplete state is also thematically appropriate.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Takoluka posted:

I mean the proper 'JoJo' naming went out the door with 4 with Josuke (Higashikata) being one that only makes sense in a layered way only in japanese anyway, Gio(rno) Gio(vanna) has more going for it.

The stand names being mangled in localization does suck though, but I blame lame copyright poo poo for that more than anything of Araki's good choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Trojan Kaiju posted:

The localization can be hit or miss but Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price is an incredible stand name.

That's the exclusive example of a trainwreck that I absolutely adore, so I'm with you there!