Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Soon, the End or Anime

Keep up the great work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The next update should be out either tonight or tomorrow. I'll tell you now, about halfway through the update, I go "gently caress it" and start really abridging the meaningless stuff, which is something I think will continue throughout the LP because I wanna get this loving thing DONE.

I've already started preliminary work on the next LP and this is somethin' I'm really excited about and wanna put a lot more effort in than this game deserves.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We're all gross and muddy, yeesh. We gotta get cleaned up before we do any sort of subterfuge.

So not only is the mask not cursed and carries no secret, it's not even THE, it's A. What a crock.

So we're just Utsugi now.

Weird crystal. Whatever.

Well well well!

What happened? Why isn't he answering me? He looks stunned. Something's strange.

Okay then.

Ah, the villain appears for a second time approximately two thirds into the game.

Utsugi, Kagura told me what happened in the woods with the Wolf-Demon. I can't believe you had such a hard time with Inuyasha.

What should I do? Naraku thinks I'm Utsugi too.

What's wrong with you, Utsugi?

I can't run away. I have to keep pretending I'm Utsugi.

Anyway, next you need to find a girl named Rin. Kagura.

Help Utsugi.

You say it like it's so easy. But whatever. I'll go. Okay, I'll take you. Come with me.

Welcome to what's called The Field of Ignorance for some reason.

Anyway, the girl, Rin should be around here. Let's get her!

Sure.

This is where we are, for reference. Also we took the mask off. It's dumb.

Oh hey it's a girl. What are the odds that this is Rin?

Excuse me, are you Rin?

Really? What are you doing?

I'm picking flowers. I'm going to make a bouquet.

She's so cute. I wonder what Naraku is going to do with her?

So to make a long story short, Anime offers to help Rin pick flowers. We have to pick six flowers of different colors around the field.

Imagine this but five more times and other colors. It's not interesting, this update's been percolating since November, and I REALLY need to get something out before I go to Disney World next week, okay?

We give the flowers to Rin and ask what she's going to do with them.

Oh wow, Sesshomaru's here? Well, I guess that explains what Naraku wants.

So Rin asks us to join her, and we get a choice. I decide to go with her because hey, haven't seen Sesshy in a while.

You're late, Rin. Huh? Who's that girl?

He doesn't recognize us, huh?

Rin wants to put her flowers around and Jaken's a buzzkill like usual.

Hey buddy.

So Rin asks if I can play with her for a while and Sesshomaru is fine with it.

Then we talk to the three and imply that we have more contact with Sesshomaru than we usually do, but I guess that might be part of the....secret ending we're not gonna get. This whole diversion is kinda pointless outside of getting Rin in the game.

A bit.

Well, let's go get some food.

Sweet, Five Guys?

Today, you're here too, so let's eat something really yummy.

Sounds good. But where's all the delicious food?

I know! I remember that I once ate the meat of a big wild boar! It was so delicious.

Was it caught around here?

I think so.

WHAT

I guess so. It's this way to the mountain.

Hey wait!

It's dangerous, so we offer to get the pig.

And get the pig we will next time.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Waffleman_ posted:

Welcome to what's called The Field of Ignorance for some reason.

I mean, it's definitely fitting. Anime doesn't know why she's supposed to find Rin, Kagura doesn't know that Utsugi is actually Anime, Inuyasha and the gang probably don't know that Anime is actually real Utsugi, and Naraku probably doesn't know what Utsugi is even doing. Hell, I'm not even confident that Naraku knows what Naraku is doing.

Honestly, "Inuyasha: The Field of Ignorance" would be a much more appropriate title.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Okay. Language Lesson!

"They called wild boars so they must live in the mountains" sounds like complete nonsense in English.

but in Japanese, they were once called "Yamakujira" which literally translates to "Mountain Whale".

So in this case, this is a line that was literally translated without any thought of it making sense in the language it's translated to.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I very much assumed it was something like that.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

not to mention Anime is ballsy as gently caress going after a boar by herself, or a complete idiot. Honestly, both are equal options.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean she has magic. We'be killed how many demons?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe she'll be lucky and find a boar with tusks made of serpentine rock.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Psycho Knight posted:

I mean, it's definitely fitting. Anime doesn't know why she's supposed to find Rin, Kagura doesn't know that Utsugi is actually Anime, Inuyasha and the gang probably don't know that Anime is actually real Utsugi, and Naraku probably doesn't know what Utsugi is even doing. Hell, I'm not even confident that Naraku knows what Naraku is doing.

Honestly, "Inuyasha: The Field of Ignorance" would be a much more appropriate title.
I was thinking something like "Maybe the 'Fields of Ignorance' extend to Naraku's castle and they're literally down the block or whatever" but this makes sense too.

Robindaybird posted:

not to mention Anime is ballsy as gently caress going after a boar by herself, or a complete idiot. Honestly, both are equal options.
I figure she thinks Rin is some five-year-old boar-hunting prodigy because somebody in this goddamn game has to be competent. Little does she know that Rin is (IIRC) some perfectly normal peasant girl Sesshomaru rescued by literally killing the Grim Reapers who were collecting her soul with his magic sword that can't kill anything living or whatever.

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

Also she was killed by Koga the good guy

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dovi posted:

Also she was killed by Koga the good guy

Yeah, the fact that Koga and his gang have literally killed people is never really brought up again after his debut arc.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Larryb posted:

Yeah, the fact that Koga and his gang have literally killed people is never really brought up again after his debut arc.

It's like a Vegeta situation. He's sort of done some things that could be construed as heroic, as in he doesn't like the same guy that the heroes don't like, so therefore the audience should cut him some slack and sweep a few things under the rug. You know, like slaughtering innocents.

Commander Keene posted:

I was thinking something like "Maybe the 'Fields of Ignorance' extend to Naraku's castle and they're literally down the block or whatever" but this makes sense too.

Whatever the case, it's clear that nobody in this game knows anything about what they are doing right now. Maybe the Shikon Jewel is actually the Orb of Confusion and the shards have just enough power to make everyone nearby slightly dumber.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and Koga being basically the Ryoga stand in because we apparently need another love triangle, nevermind Ryoga's worst crimes is property destruction and letting the big lie of P-chan go on to a point of no return, while Koga as said outright killed people.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I guess it's easier to forgive mass genocide in DB when you can just wish everyone back. Though I don't know/remember if they wished to bring back everyone murdered by Vegeta (maybe as a side-effect of a 'bring back everyone who died because of Frieza'?).

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I guess it's easier to forgive mass genocide in DB when you can just wish everyone back. Though I don't know/remember if they wished to bring back everyone murdered by Vegeta (maybe as a side-effect of a 'bring back everyone who died because of Frieza'?).

who knows, given Akira Toriyama is notoriously forgetful including completely forgetting about characters.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's all quite a mess. Even dead people are still around, even if they don't use one of the billion ways to undo their death.

And the whole forgetting characters existed thing, as you said.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

This is specifically addressed. When all the Namekians revived due to the wish to bring back everyone killed by Freeza and his goons are celebrating, they wonder why one tribe isn't there. Vegeta then laughs about how he was the one who murdered all of them and at the time he wasn't working for Freeza so they're just dead forever.

Also the villagers Koga killed were presented as awful pieces of poo poo who I think even beat Rin. Random nobodies who beat children rarely survive horror series which Inuyasha still ostensibly was at the time.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Whoops. And that also ignores all the people killed by either of them before Namek.

e: as I'm guessing you were trying to do less conspicuously, I'll also drop it since it's got nothing to do with this specific Anime

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 20, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the painted backgrounds are very pretty in this game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, they're actually real nice, I've always thought that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So I was kinda on a loving roll today and I managed to finish up a pretty long update which should be out the next couple days. I'll be finishing off the recording I've been plinking at since like October.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Oh boy, the adventures of Anime Kururugi Continue!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shopping list:

Wild boar that lives in the mountains

So you'd fuckin' think that this plot important encounter would just be here but noooooooooooo, we gotta wait for it to randomly happen like some SHMUCK.

And our battle model is still the same as always, whether they couldn't change it within the confines of the engine or they didn't feel like doing it for one fight.

It's a fuckin' pig, how do you think the fight goes?

I see, so this is wild boar meat.

Of course it is. We're in the mountains.

I should get back. Rin is waiting for me.

Where did she go?

Good job, Utsugi!

So they got Rin already. That sucks. Oh well, it's time to go back to the castle. Nothing much else to say except at one point Kagura refers to the castle as Naraku's house which tickles me.

Wait here until Naraku calls you.

Nah.

I wanna see what Naraku's got in his room.

Yikes.

Hey egg sac, could ya cut it out, there's kids present.

Who are you?

Kanna.

So yeah, here's Kanna, one of Naraku's incarnations. She's really only here because she was around in the dub of the anime at this time. She'll have a couple appearances shortly after this and just gently caress off forever.

She's got a mirror, and she uses it to steal souls, and Anime's getting some bad vibes from it.

It will be born soon?

Be born? The thing inside the cocoon?

Nobody can stop it.

We will stop it with ease.

I don't understand what's going on, but I'm scared of the cocoon and that girl.

OH NO OUR COVER

What are you talking about? Why is your face the same as mine?

An artist really only has so many character designs in them, yo. Rumiko's served her nickel, give her a break.

There's no value in our faces looking the same.

Anime asks Utsugi if she knows how to get her home and Utsugi...

...challenges us!

Doesn't go well.

Great, now the gig's REALLY up.

Is this the girl you were talking about?

Yes.

I see. Definitely a descendent[sp] of yours.

Descendant?

Buh?

They seem to suggest that Naraku brought us here for Utsugi, but to what end?

They also put us in jail. And somehow have our old clothes for us.

Utsugi also tells us that there's a barrier keeping us in and that we need to wreck that big rock in the courtyard to get out so thanks for the tip.

Anyway, Mayor Pete here is hungry. Might be useful info.

Good thing I still have this wild boar meat. Mountain to plate.

I smell something good! That meat smells pretty tasty!

No! It's mine!

What did you say? Give it to me! Aaah!

How's that working for you?

Rin!

We tell Rin she's gotta get outta here and she follows us.

Worth a shot. We leave Rin behind for some reason and head off.

Ba-boom, gently caress you. We're about to head back, when...

Don't move, they can't see anything standing still.

They talk about how both Sesshomaru AND Inuyasha are heading to the castle and I'm still not entirely sure what their endgame with Sesshomaru is. I guess....to kill him? I don't think Sesshomaru was ever that interested in Naraku, at least not at this point.

Inuyasha and Sesshomaru are here? What should I do? Inuyasha must be looking for me. But what about Rin? And I'm concerned about Sesshomaru too.

At this point, we're given the choice to go to Inuyasha or Sesshomaru. This is a big turning point for the secret Sesshomaru route and I honestly don't know what happens when you go for him. It's honestly a surprisingly big blind spot I have with this game.

There's no barrier here. Maybe I can get out.

Unfortunately, I can't allow you to go any further.

I know Naraku is just ahead. If you get in my way, you'll be sorry!

The boy!

Where have you been?

You're supposed to be in your cell.

You're supposed to be....dumb.

Little trash talk happens and Kagura just bolts. Oh well, we're back with the fam!

And Miroku.

We were so worried cuz you disappeared so suddenly, but I'm glad you're safe.

I'm sorry. A lot has happened since then.

Well, that doesn't matter now. That barrier sure was strong, though.

Barrier?

Yes. When we entered the barrier, you disappeared. We were really worried.

Wait, we've been gone for like 4 months.

Wait! But I got separated from you in the Wolf-Demon forest.

After we fought with Utsugi, you brought us here.

I know she looks like me, but didn't you get sus when our voices were different?

Come to think of it, ever since we left the Wolf-Demon forest, you've been acting really strange.

It's Utsugi, y'all.

Come to think of it, you and Utsugi look very similar.

Yes, Utsugi is my ancestor.

Your ancestor?!!

We hem and haw a bit about that, and get right back to business.

Sesshomaru! I'm sorry, but I don't have time to talk with you.

THEN WHY DID YOU KIDNAP HIS KID

They both do cool guy poo poo before we come along

There's some boring back and forth and Naraku farts at us.

After this, he and Sesshomaru get the heck out. Cool.

Oh hey Rin's safe that's nice.

The party is all finally back together, and we'll bust outta here next time.

I'm also basically done with this one fuckin' recording it's been 4 months aaaaaa

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

I think Naraku fucks with Sesshomaru because he's just a general powerful dude and sort of does whatever he feels like. Naraku probably doesn't want someone like that roaming the area and interfering with his various plans at complete random. Inuyasha is predictable in that him and his group will always be trying to disrupt Naraku's dealings, so they can be easily strung along and tracked. Sesshomaru, though? He just randomly turns up from time to time and obliterates whatever is interfering with his current goal.

Obviously you would think "Let sleeping dogs lie" or "Don't poke the beehive", but Naraku was never one to avoid trying to manipulate someone. He might have just been hoping that by pestering Sesshomaru he'd force confrontations with Inuyasha and the two would kill one another.

As for why he kidnaps Rin in this particular case only to immediately bail, who the gently caress knows. My only possible guess is that Naraku did that to lure in Sesshomaru to try and take him out, but he wasn't aware that real Utsugi was leading Inuyasha and the gang to the castle at the same time. So when both Inuyasha and Sesshomaru turn up at the same time and their attentions are focused squarely on him, Naraku says "Nope, gently caress that. I'm out."

As for why they didn't change Anime's character model when her clothes were different, I think that's because of the animated special attack cutscenes. Anime is still wearing her usual clothes in those and it would have required them to redraw the cutscene with a different outfit for the sake of a single minor segment. Sort of a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation in that she's going to be wearing the wrong clothes one way or another.

That being said, it's still funny that they didn't change the model despite the fact that Anime is wearing something similar to Utsugi's outfit and they are stated in-universe to look nearly identical (close enough that both Inuyasha's group and Naraku's group were fooled).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, that's the thing, the animated attack cutscenes are only for co-op attacks and Anime is alone in both fights where she's wearing the kimono, so that's not a factor.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, that's the thing, the animated attack cutscenes are only for co-op attacks and Anime is alone in both fights where she's wearing the kimono, so that's not a factor.

Huh... I could have sworn I remembered the avatar character having a solo special with their magic fire dragon thing. Maybe I'm just remembering the first half of a co-op attack.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Psycho Knight posted:

Huh... I could have sworn I remembered the avatar character having a solo special with their magic fire dragon thing. Maybe I'm just remembering the first half of a co-op attack.

I'm not about to double check but I'm pretty sure the Shippo combos barely have him in them so I can see why you might misremember that.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I am totally convinced that Kururugi wasn't actually planning an escape when roasting that boar meat. She's not nearly smart enough for that. She just got hungry and decided to have lunch. I also like to think that after the battle with the guard she stops to take a big bite out of the roast, juices dribbling down her chin, as she watches his body smoulder in the flames reflecting in her eyes. Nobody touches Kururugi's meat.

Nobody.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

TwoPair posted:

I'm not about to double check but I'm pretty sure the Shippo combos barely have him in them so I can see why you might misremember that.

Yeah, I watched through the anime attacks and that's what I was mistaking it for. Avatar Character summons a big spectral fire dragon that engulfs Shippo, who just sort of flies at the enemy and contributes nothing.

I think I also may have remembered it wrong because the Avatar's contributions to co-op attacks is always a separate clip that gets stapled on to whatever character they are with (I don't think the Avatar ever shows up with the co-op partner, like Miroku+Inuyasha or Miroku+Sango or Miroku+Kagome... Miroku shares co-op attack screen space with a lot of people).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hey guess what I oughta have another hot steamy update out of the oven for you by tomorrow.

Two updates in one week? What am I, someone responsible?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alright, let's get the hell out of here.

Ah beans.

It's you, Utsugi!

I can't believe this is your ancestor.

But, this one's working with Naraku, so we can't just ignore the situation.

Alright, let's fight her!

Wait, Inuyasha.

We're just about to fight her when Kagome brings up a...pretty salient point:

If we kill Utsugi, you will disappear too.

The Back to the Future problem, yeah.

Utsugi thankfully doesn't really wanna fight us today. Hey lady, you had a kid yet?

Inuyasha still wants to fight, but Kagome has to actually explain how lineage works to us. I mean, we're not sure that's EXACTLY how it'll work, but we do not want to risk it.

Well, Naraku should have the answers.

Oh no the cocoon!

Hahaha...you fools! Did you come to die? You're just in time to see my new incarnation come to life!

Oh man, a new incarnation of Naraku is a big deal. This game could make its mark on the canon with a character joining the likes of Kagura, Kanna, let's see...Goshinki? K-Kageromaru? I remember the baby....the gently caress's a Byakuya?

Whatever, I'm sure this is gonna be a cool and compelling character.

Or it could just be a skellyman.

JESUS.

His neck!

Hahahahaha....

Oh, it's a puppet! Now it's REALLY Inuyasha.

Now it's time for a fight!

gently caress off.

I think Naraku planned to get rid of us and Sesshomaru all at once.

Still don't know WHY.

But I guess we'll get Naraku next time.

But, I wonder where Naraku has escaped to.

Let's just go home to Kaede. I feel like it's been half a year since we've been there.

I dunno, let's just go to bed.

Ah, it's time to spend some time with our best friend Sango. Yep, just gals being pals.

This is actually the final interval event of the game! We've basically locked in our relationship with Sango and we'll be seeing more of what that means later in this very update.

Yes. It's been a while since I've stared at the sky for so long.

Come with me for a little while. You too, Kirara.

We're always going after demons, so it's good to relax sometimes.

Yes, this is great! Thank you, Sango! But, we're not too heavy for Kirara?

It's fine. Kirara says she's happy to fly freely again. It's been a long time. Right, Kirara?

I didn't realize Sango could smile so much! But I guess, she's about my age.

Gears are turning in this poor girl's head.

Sango, even if I get to go back to my world, I will never forget this day.

What? I can't hear you that well because of the wind.

I won't forget about you, Sango! I promise!

What are you saying? That's a given.

Aaah this poor mess of a girl.

The next day...

Perhaps the traveller knows something.

Kakuju! Let's go find grampa!

Inappropriate.

Where is Naraku? I haven't heard anything. The last time I was in Minamo village, I heard that many of the villagers had been spirited away. The villagers didn't know what to do.

Welp, a lead's a lead, I guess. To Minamo Village.

Looks like we'll be able to sleep in a bed for the first time in ages.

Don't....don't acknowledge the in-universe time that passes when traveling through the world map. It makes things weird.

In fact, we're hemming and hawing about being out for so long a lot for having done it several times.

It's still up in the air whether or not we'll stay the night. But I like the thought of having a bath.

Anime laments the lack of shampoo, which yeah, poo poo, we've probably been using soap for our hair if that, huh?

Shampoo? You mean that odd-smelling lotion? I'd rather stay away from it. Soap's good enough for my hair.

Oh baby baby you're lucky Anime is so in love.

Your hair's so gorgeous, Sango, it's hard to believe you wash it with soap.

See?

gently caress off

It's nice having friends like this. Come to think of it, I haven't had friends that I could talk to like this, until now.

Is this a dril tweet.

Well, either way, the rest of the gang does their gimmicks and seem to be having a good time.

Huh? What is this feeling?

This dialogue is accompanied by a small chime.

Well, whatever. Let's go check things out.

INAPPROPRIATE

He just....talks about women getting spirited away. Let's not humor this man.

gently caress off

I don't think you'd have to stay at an inn to know if there's one in your very small town but.

Well, I guess this was a dead end. On to the next village.

Wait? Doesn't that house over there look like an inn?

Everyone says that it is and we should check it out.

Especially before Inuyasha raises a fuss.

Another chime.

Everyone's getting along so well, just like always. So, why do I feel so upset?

This is where the relationship aspect comes to a head. If we were on a romantic line, we'd be getting jealous at one of the two Designated Couples in the party.

But also we have to go all the way to the other side of the village because we haven't flagged the inn to open JUST YET.

Phew! Finally, we can take a bath.

Sango!

What?

You don't feel well, do you?

Why'd you ask that all of a sudden? I'm totally fine.

Kagome detects a fever and we get another chime.

I didn't even notice. And I was right next to Sango.

Well now back to the inn.

We get a big room for all of us and Sango gotta lay down.

It's not the perfect 3.5 tatami room, though. Trash, not a rose-colored campus life.

I'm sorry everyone. I hope you don't get my cold.

Kagome offers to take care of her, but Anime wants to do it, of course. We offer to get some water so we can at least put a cold cloth on her head.

Once we're out of the room, the rest of the party's broiled in conversation, but the important thing is...

Yeah, when we're camping someone always needs to stay on watch.

Why don't we tell stories?

And general good times.

A chime.

I don't fit in. They don't need me to have fun.

Remember when our friend was telling us about all our classmates who had boyfriends? They didn't tell us they had boyfriends! What do you mean there was a more obvious reading of that scene? Nah.

Even if I wasn't here...

Am I the only one that thought we were friends?

This feels a bit contrived, to be honest.

I've got a lump in my throat and it won't go away.

Sango offers a bath and we offer to go get some herbs for it. There's some at the edge of the village, so let's go!

"But you're such a tomboy!"

"Don't laugh at me! You're the only one that I can talk to about these kind of things."

"I'm not laughing! We're best friends, aren't we?"

Wow it's weird that all these friendship things also involve romance of a sort. Not relevant to us, though, we're not in love with anyone.

"I'm so happy! Because I have a friend who I can talk with about anything."

gently caress you too.

Like, seriously. Am I the only one who thinks this is suddenly way out of what little character Anime has? We seemed to get along pretty drat well with everyone.

On some level, I understand the need for a platonic option, there being Shippo and it being 2004. But it's so clumsily implemented.

So here, we get confronted by our relationship character. If we were in love, they'd straight come on to us, with a couple special pictures.

Tell me. Aren't we friends?

But we're not in love, so we get the same "ARE WE FRIENDS" stuff.

Get serious. Of course we're friends.

Sango...

Ha ha ha! You fell for it! Honestly, women are such pathetic fools!

OH NO.

Dangit, it's all a setup by a demon. This is why people have been Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi! And now he's going to eat me! Oh my gooooooooooooooo

Yay, it's the real Sango!

You think I could just sit around doing nothing when there's nothing wrong with me?

I won't forgive you for this! Ever!

Boy, if you come into this fight with Shippo as your partner, I bet that'd be a rough time.

Sango's not sick anymore and we didn't win Best Animated Feature at the 75th Academy Awards, so everyone's fine.

Aw crap, now everyone else is here in this very vulnerable moment.

Well, at least they were worried about us.

I didn't think about anyone but myself. Yet everyone's been worried about me so much. I'm sorry everyone!

Wait, were you goin'?! We need a protagonist!

You said it, not me. I guess we'll have to follow her next time.

Happy Valentine's Day.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 25, 2020

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

If we were playing Boy Anime (or there was a F/F romance route) this would be the exact moment where Miroku realizes he's being cucked by Copy-Kagome.

It's not just you, but the way. This moment comes out of nowhere and it's a mess. Anime basically gets upset at the realization that "Hey, these people are a close group of friends that have known each other for some time now, while I just showed up a few weeks ago."

She has a complete emotional breakdown because these people she's been getting closer to are not devoting 100% of their love and attention on her as if she had been here since day 1. Creating a close relationship takes time, Anime.

The only reason for this scene is that the story hit a dead end and the developers needed someway of kickstarting the drama again.

I can relate to the feelings that are on display here. The feelings of isolation and "otherness", the constant feeling that you're a third wheel that everyone would prefer would leave. But all of this just drops in the span of a minute without any buildup. Anime has friends in present day, she made quick friends with Inuyasha and the gang, they've essentially suspended their own journey to help her get back to her own time, and they clearly worry about her. There's no moment where the game tries to set up these feelings of doubt.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The romance angle is a lot more believable to be just coming up and is even established by the interval events. Not to mention the reason her friends didn't tell her they had boyfriends was actually said to be because they didn't want to make her feel bad for being single hey there's the romance angle again.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

The romance angle is a lot more believable to be just coming up and is even established by the interval events. Not to mention the reason her friends didn't tell her they had boyfriends was actually said to be because they didn't want to make her feel bad for being single hey there's the romance angle again.

Oh, definitely. Like you said, it's understandable that they would have a platonic option, because Shippo, but the friendship routes of these pairings do not create the sexual tension of the romance routes.

There's a lot of buildup from a romance angle, because no matter what you do (outside of going with Shippo) you are interfering with the established couples. They don't really tackle that aspect, but it's clearly there in the background. It's way more understandable for MC to be having an emotional crisis when faced with the idea that they've been falling for Kagome/Inuyasha/Sango/Miroku, but it may just be a one-sided crush and not the reciprocal thing the MC thought it was.

The closest you get to buildup in the friendship route is "Remember that time that your present day friends didn't tell you about other friends having boyfriends? You know, because they were worried about you getting depressed? Yeah, now these friends are telling stories and stuff when you leave, it's totally the same thing and means they don't want you around."

One of the props I do give this game is the willingness to mess with established couples, though. Usually with these adaption games your MC isn't allowed to interfere with existing couples. It's something I've never understood. Sword Art Online games apparently do that (in addition to only allowing you to play as Kirito) and I've always felt it weird because self-insertness is exactly what your audience wants (right? I'll admit that I don't know for sure what the SAO fanbase wants in that respect).

There's another game on Vita that did this too which I thought was hilarious. I don't recall the name, but it's based on an anime and there's two routes: The actual anime character route, and an Avatar route. In the Avatar route, you can't hook up with any girls. They completely bar the Avatar character from romance options, which is just funny. You get an avatar character and your made "the main character", but you don't get to do anything important and you don't form any kind of relationships with the actual cast of the show. It's like going to a Disney World experience where they make you feel like a major character, but you can't touch anything or talk to anyone, you just get dragged around until it's time to go home.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 14, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Waffleman_ posted:

Sango, even if I get to go back to my world, I will never forget this day.
Pretty sure this is a misplaced character portrait. Unless Sango talks to herself.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

From now on I have to look for a way to get back to my world on my own. First, I need to look for a place to stay tonight.

Well, we wanged everything up.

Ah beans.

I was waiting for you.

Utsugi wants our soul and

we kinda need that.

AAH NO

What?! That arrow?!

Kagome?!

....Kagome?

Huh? A priestess?

Nah, I don't think Anime's THAT dumb. She knows this is a different people.

So yes, it's Kikyo! Priestess, Kaede's sister, former lover to Inuyasha, preincarnation of Kagome, and now she's just kinda a walking corpse.

She's also enough to get these two assholes to gently caress off.

And she took us to her house.

Pretty.

Beautiful? That's a weird thing to say.

Take the compliment.

There are villagers here?

Oh no this is some Kanna bullshit.

Let's get outta here!

Well, we're safe now, I guess.

That light that you thought was beautiful. It is the souls of people who have died. I am collecting souls. Something that normal people wouldn't find a use for.

Just a note, at this moment while I'm writing this update, they announced Inuyasha Funko Pops and I'm upset okay back to the game.

Kikyo tells us to get outta here but nah, she's cool.

You can't blame me. You're a nice person. A nice person...

Maybe we can be a nice person even though we weren't doing anything wrong...

Hmmm. They've caught up to us already!

Did we?

Anime takes the opportunity to explain what her deal is and hey we both wanna kill Naraku.

Kikyo also reinforces how dumb we were being by running away. But we still like our friends, so..

Then you have nothing to worry about. Stop feeling remorseful, and be true to your own feelings. When you find the answer in your hear, no one will be able to blame you for anything.

Ah gently caress they caught up.

They're about to end it when...

Someone's coming.

They gently caress off, but why?

The thing that got in their way is the same thing that you are troubled about.

Heeey!

Kikyo and Inuyasha past relationship at each other, she leaves, and we head back to the inn.

No reason, get off my back, gosh.

Kagome gets jealous and goes for a walk, with Inuyasha going after.

We get the chance to talk to the others about Kikyo and they say what I did up there, they liked each other, Naraku did poo poo, Kagome reincarnation.

Yeah, sucks man. Torn between two girls.

Kagome talks to us about her feelings for Inuyasha and Kikyo and all that and it's very weird that we never really resolved our own plotline we started, huh? Anyway, none of this is relevant to the game as is and she goes off.

Anime please stop pretending this is still about you.

Shippo's all afuss because Utsugi is going to kill Kikyo for some reason. Which he knows somehow. Ah well, back to the lovely ghost village.

Kikyo! Aw beans, they still want my soul.

A saimyosho comes in and it's time for Utsugi to bounce.

Do you know how to say anything else?

Oh hey guys, you wanna beat up a little girl?

Another boss battle. Kanna is one of like maybe two fights in the entire game that requires a modicum of strategy.

Every so often, Kanna will raise her mirror and you don't wanna hit her or else she'll turn it back on you and hurt you bad.

That's it, it's really not that hard.

Hooray, we beat up a child. Kanna's not in the game anymore, good character.

Also we make a halfhearted attempt to tie up Anime's issues whatever.

Kikyo and Inuyasha also do their thing which doesn't matter because this is the last time in the game these two are onscreen together.

This is the important poo poo. We have our next lead!

Oh also I forgot.

Better.

As we exit the village, we talk about how we have to go to Shiyosai Village and get a boat to Asagiri and some useless loving dialogue happens about

Fuckin'....shut up.

We're just gonna ignore all the question marks now. None of it matters. Next time, we go on an Animal Crossing New Horizons.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I loved this game, thank you for convincing me to not replay it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My job here is done.

By the way, I think I'm comfortable in saying that there are only three updates left in the LP unless I run out of steam during Asagiri Island and have to split it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

So Anime ran off in a big emotional huff, then the writers forgot about that and just focused on why they did it (they needed some kind of excuse for Anime to run into Kikyo/Utsugi/Kanna).

Everything is cool with Anime now because Inuyasha and the gang showed up just in time to save her. Something they've done previously. Friendship crisis averted. Although nothing was actually resolved with Sango, who is the real reason for Anime's little meltdown.

MythosDragon posted:

I loved this game, thank you for convincing me to not replay it.

It's not hard to find reasons to convince yourself not to replay the game. Just starting it up and noticing how agonizingly slow everything moves is enough to do that. I remember the battle menus especially moving at glacial paces.