Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
NXT Is the DevelopmentalThird Brand of the WWE and subsequently the one that still gets critical acclaim by most people

It airs on USA Network on 8:00 PM EST
It also airs on Hulu if you want to watch it on service that has less blood money on its hands

On the WWE Network on Thursdays there is also NXT UK

To immediately date this OP the next NXT Takeover is going to be

Takeover Portland
Matches so far booked

Grudge Match
Finn Balor vs Johnny Gargano
NXT Women's Championship
Rhea Ripley vs Toni Storm or Bianca Belair

The Champs

NXT World Title
Adam Cole (Defeated Johnny Gargano at NXT TakeOver: XXV June 1, 2019)

NXT Womens Title
Rhea Ripley (Defeated Shayna Baszler on NXT December 18, 2019)
https://twitter.com/WWENXT/status/1215077135112658949
NXT Tag Titles
The Undisputed Era (Kyle Reilly and Bobby Fish) (Defeated the Street Profits on NXT August 15, 2019*
https://twitter.com/WWENXT/status/1215091297087782912
NXT North American Title
Roddy Strong (Defeated Velveteen Dream on NXT September 18, 2019)
https://vine.co/v/ei5DvP3DHpv
Keith Lee (Defeated Roddy Strong on NXT January 22, 2020)
https://twitter.com/tde_wrestling/status/1220208085324771330
NXT Cruiserweight Title
Angel Garza (Defeated Lio Rush on NXT Dec 11, 2019)

NXT UK Title
WALTER (Defeated Pete Dunne at NXT TakeOver: New York April 5, 2019)
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1216439859763732480
NXT UK Women Title
Kay Lee Ray (Defeated Toni Storm at NXT UK TakeOver: Cardiff Aug 31,2019)
https://twitter.com/tde_wrestling/status/1198397265012019200
NXT UK Tag Titles
Gallus (Mark Coffey and Wolfgang) (Defeated Mark Andrews and Flash Morgan Webster on NXT UK Oct 4, 2019**)
https://twitter.com/Oatgan/status/1215451995890507776
Current Tourney
2020 Dusty Rhodes Classic
Finals
Broserweights (Matt Riddle and Pete Dunne)
vs
Grizzled Young Vets (James Drake and Zack Gibson)

I'll hope to keep this OP as up to date as possible

* Tape delayed until Aug 28th
**Tape delayed until Oct 16th

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Don't be a jerk my friend
Does NXT keep using the overrun as a way to bump up their ratings slightly?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Yea, I think they get 200k at least to flip over for it

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
nxt is v good, i like it

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Pete dunne is the most overrated wrestler in the business

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Low Desert Punk posted:

:agreed:

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

pete dung

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Pete Dunne looks like the lackey for the bad guy in a post-apocalypse wasteland movie that dies first.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://i.imgur.com/hWq1Y2i.mp4

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Waffleopolis posted:

Pete Dunne looks like the lackey for the bad guy in a post-apocalypse wasteland movie that dies first.
B-movie and they only bothered to like, give him half a costume since they know he's only in the first 40 minutes

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Pete is a bad lad who’s breakin his poor mother’s heart, he is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Low Desert Punk posted:

Pete Dunne is a fantastic wrestler who also apparently happens to be a bit (maybe even a lot) of an rear end in a top hat, which is unfortunate.

No Irish Need Imply posted:

nxt is v good, i like it

It is, and deserves better than being sent over the top into the line of machine gun fire like it currently is under the orders of deranged British General Vince McMahon.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Pete Dunne is a fantastic wrestler who also apparently happens to be a bit (maybe even a lot) of an rear end in a top hat, which is unfortunate.

he was way more dynamic on the indies and NXT has definitely softened the guy, but he seems to be having fun with Riddle so at least there's that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What rear end in a top hat stuff has Pete done (pun)? He was a local guy back home, and don’t recall hearing anyone saying anything bad about him. Always seemed a decent enough guy when I went to shows.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

What rear end in a top hat stuff has Pete done (pun)? He was a local guy back home, and don’t recall hearing anyone saying anything bad about him. Always seemed a decent enough guy when I went to shows.

pretty sure it's entirely about how he became a cop, openly lying about how NXT UK hasn't hurt the british independent scene a great deal or at all, and is even good for it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Low Desert Punk posted:

That's goon-voted 98th Greatest of All Time Pete Dunne to you

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Cavauro posted:

pretty sure it's entirely about how he became a cop, openly lying about how NXT UK hasn't hurt the british independent scene a great deal or at all, and is even good for it
oh yeah, i forgot good wrestler with bad opinions are automatically bad wrestlers

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Pete's always been great in my experience (and in people I know's experience). It's a shame he's toeing the company line about how badly indies have been hurt.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

oh yeah, i forgot good wrestler with bad opinions are automatically bad wrestlers

Sounds like something a cop would say :thunkher:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is a stupid derail, especially for a thread not even a single page in. Get back on topic.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Broserweights vs UE will be a total banger if it happens

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He's also become an actively worse wrestler in NXT.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Am I the only person so far who just... can't get excited for the next Takeover? A lot of the people I know are losing their minds over it (possibly added to because we're in Portland) but it doesn't seem like a must-watch for the first Takeover in, well, a while. Rhea as champion is somehow even more boring than Shayna and it's too fuckin' soon to feel that way, Bianca getting another title shot when Io is right there and over as hell is inexplicable, and feel free to tell me if I'm missing something but Gargano v Balor should by all means feel like a dream match but... doesn't. At all.

Portland seems to be excited though; floor tickets are going for $300 minimum at this point and I don't even want to look at the resale market, which bodes well for if (please, when) AEW come to town. Usually WWE ticket sales are abysmal here.

it also seems like the WWE brainworms are deeply imbedded in NXT viewers now since I'm catching poo poo from all sides for skipping it so I can fly out for SCHADENFREUDE and Friends; never gonna understand the "you don't like wrestling if you don't drop everything for NXT" take that somehow now exists. gently caress WWE for many reasons, but seriously, gently caress how annoying the fans are with their ardent "loving anything else is stupid" mindset.

jesus WEP posted:

Broserweights vs UE will be a total banger if it happens

The tag tournament I can completely get behind. Thrilled that NXT is taking time, if only briefly, to focus more on tags because drat it's fun to watch. Have they announced when the finals are happening? Is it Worlds Collide or Takeover?

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 20, 2020

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

the escape goat posted:

Am I the only person so far who just... can't get excited for the next Takeover? A lot of the people I know are losing their minds over it (possibly added to because we're in Portland) but it doesn't seem like a must-watch for the first Takeover in, well, a while. Rhea as champion is somehow even more boring than Shayna and it's too fuckin' soon to feel that way, Bianca getting another title shot when Io is right there and over as hell is inexplicable, and feel free to tell me if I'm missing something but Gargano v Balor should by all means feel like a dream match but... doesn't. At all.

I think they are giving Bianca the first shot because they want Rhea to at least get a couple of successful title defenses under her belt. Or they are stupidly high on Rhea and don't want her being eclipsed by someone who got over organically. Rhea only got over because WWE pushed the ever-living hell out of her during the build up to and during Survivor Series weekend.

It's pretty obvious they are trying to mold her into the next Becky (success story wise), when it feels like she's gonna end up as the next Charlotte, especially if she goes up against someone like Shirai. Wait until Wrestlemania weekend and see what happens then in regards to the women's division. But I agree with Rhea's reign likely being incredibly underwhelming if it stays on its current trajectory; they pushed her to the top way too quickly, and her promos are the absolute goddamn worst in the entire women's division. Which I thought was previously impossible considering Mia Yim is there. Rhea is the first person I can ever recall in NXT history who has managed to kill the Full Sail audience in terms of interest. She won the title and then...just flatlined entirely.

And if rating breakdowns are to be believed, then she's not interesting to viewers either. I think outside of her women's title match and some other segment involving a bunch of other women (this was before War Games), all of her stuff has had large viewership drops, especially compared to the other women.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 20, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cavauro posted:

Ah yes, and it's a fair criticism. I can only imagine given how much he was involved in the UK scene at a small level (I would buy my tickets for shows directly from him, as he was half owner of our local promotion) that he must've done so with gritted teeth, or at least through some naivety.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

the escape goat posted:

This is how I felt about the last TakeOver and this one too. It didn't help that they muddied up a lot of their TV with the Survivor Series rating pops too. Like I'm sure the matches will be great, but I expect a little more wine and dine from NXT. I'm one who'd complain that NXT had too many squash matches on their Network show, but now I see why. Putting on banger after banger on weekly TV to where it's basically a mini TakeOver has just desensitized me, so I want a little more depth with everything. I guess they've still got like 4 weeks or so to remedy everything, but idk. Rhea winning felt neat in the moment, but now what. If there's any solace, I think her reign is destined to be short and maybe TakeOver Mania she'll lose it to Io, hopefully? But who knows. They see something in her where they'll either keep it going or somehow find a way to put her on RAW/SD post-Mania.

I think it also doesn't help that I personally think the belt is being overshadowed by the more interesting story of Dakota Kai and Tegan Nox. Something that just seems infinitely more exciting then "Hey, beat X and X for a title shot." And that's a feud, similar to Gargano/Balor as you said, I don't feel it's on the level it should be. Even the prospect of Keith Lee vs. Adam Cole (which I guess is happening at TakeOver? Maybe?) doesn't excite me too much because every Adam Cole feud is already starting to become formulaic. Cut an in-ring promo then get jumped by TUE and maybe saved by someone. Or wrestle a match then get jumped by TUE. Or wrestle a match vs. a member of TUE then get jumped.

And oddly enough, that's a feud where I'm fine with a contender being crowned to face the champion, but then they have this thing with Ciampa watching over it that just takes away from it. I've also completely forgotten about the North American title until this because I was going to say they need a midcard belt, but the NA belt exists. Oops.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

the escape goat posted:

Am I the only person so far who just... can't get excited for the next Takeover?
We haven't had a proper Takeover with title defenses since August. Since then, the NA title has had a title change and two defenses on live TV, the tag titles have had 2 defenses, the NXT title has had 6 defenses, the Women's Championship has had two defenses and a title change. The Cruiserweight title has been defended like 5 times and changed hands twice. We've also had two ladder matches. This was all stuff that would usually happen at a Takeover, but now we're getting them on TV regularly. 2 hours of live NXT each week has also made the idea of a live Takeover feel less special. It used to be that there was like 5 times a year when you know for sure that title defenses mattered and that something big could happen. Now I am not so sure. NXT is getting more people on TV, but the Takeovers are probably going to stay the same length and not really feature any of those people.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

some body asked what he did to become an rear end in a top hat

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
World Collide is the next "Takeover" not Takeover Portland

Imperium vs Undisputed Era
Rhea Ripley (c) vs Toni Storm for the NXT US Women's title
NXT Cruiserweight title: Angel Garza vs. Swerve Strickland vs two NXT UK guys that''ll be announced on NXT UK this week probably (in matches)
Gargano & Ciampa vs. Tyler Bate & Trent Seven
Finn Balor vs Ilja Dragunov

Pre Show: Mia Yim vs. Kay Lee Ray non title

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Worlds Collide will be a better show than the Royal Rumble

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd watch Takeovers if they were still on Hulu, but that ship seems to have sailed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Midnightghoul posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Worlds Collide will be a better show than the Royal Rumble

:hmmyes:

Probably gonna be a fantastic show.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
DIY vs MM will be better than the entire rumble ppv

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

excited for more Riddle/Dunne

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Same, should be very good

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Eat My Fuc posted:

Calling them Joint Manipulation is great

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh look Toni/Io had a gently caress finish what a shocker

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Watching NXT now, I love Nigel being unashamedly biased in favor of the Grizzled Young Vets :allears:

Nigel: Listen to the crowd going crazy cheering for Liverpool's favorite sons!
Beth: Nigel, nobody is cheering them.
Nigel: I was cheering!

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
I am basking in Keith Lee's glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004