Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The_Doctor posted:

The one thing that annoyed me as a kid, was getting a children’s storybook version of the movie and it had a line in it of them hiring Winston as ‘an assistant’. :argh:

I have the Golden Books version of it, and thankfully, they don't do that. At least I don't think they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm one of those weirdos that saw 2 first, as a kid, so it was always my preferred movie. I wore that VHS (taped off of PPV) to the bone and didn't see 1 until years later. It always felt to me like Winston was just kinda there and not really an important part of the team.

That's partially 2's fault and also mine being a kid, I need to watch them again.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

They did Winston so dirty in 2, and it basically seemed like it was just so they could follow the loose formula of the first movie. Winston should have been part of all the hijinks from the beginning, at the very least during the courtroom fight (I can forgive him not going to Dana's apt to inspect Oscar)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

They did Winston so dirty in 2, and it basically seemed like it was just so they could follow the loose formula of the first movie. Winston should have been part of all the hijinks from the beginning, at the very least during the courtroom fight (I can forgive him not going to Dana's apt to inspect Oscar)

Yeah, he's with Ray for the birthday party, literally the second scene of the movie, but not involved whatsoever for the street dig? Ugh.

Egon: "I'd like to bring Ray in on this one."
Dana: "Sure, that's fine... But not Peter."
Egon: "Oh, no... No. I think Winston might be busy, too."
Dana: "Who?"

I get that he's not a scientist, so obviously they wouldn't bring him into Dana's apt, as previously mentioned, but he should've been there for the dig.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Winston was smart enough not to hire Louis.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

How much dialogue does Peter have with Winston? It's a very low amount, I think.

I don't think Dana ever talks to him.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Nv4UEsxg4

it is me or they use a remix of this theme in the trailer?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Winston does get the hero shot in 2 though, where he busts in the door with the fire extinguisher to save Ray and Egon. As a kid that was all I needed to see, he was my favorite Ghostbuster after that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DoctorGonzo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Nv4UEsxg4

it is me or they use a remix of this theme in the trailer?

I ... I don't know what you're talking about. There's a brief hit of Bernstein's theme, then he moves into a very brief hit of the Gozer theme, then it moves to Dana's theme.

Maybe you aren't familiar with this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVYnUE04ZsA

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

text me a vag pic posted:

Winston was smart enough not to hire Louis.

Five years later, still getting his own lawyer

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Timby posted:

I ... I don't know what you're talking about. There's a brief hit of Bernstein's theme, then he moves into a very brief hit of the Gozer theme, then it moves to Dana's theme.

Maybe you aren't familiar with this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVYnUE04ZsA

brain fart, thats the theme

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CPss95p3Ck

Venkman's face when he hears the price. It's so subtle that I've only just now noticed it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Venkman's face when he hears the price. It's so subtle that I've only just now noticed it.

There's a ton of subtle humor in Ghostbusters, and it's all really loving good.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

For years the best way to watch Ghostbusters was a VHS tape hooked to a 27 inch tv with RCA cables. I wonder if that little shocked sigh would even be noticeable. He barely even moves. It’s obvious now on my phone but I’m guessing in the late 80s when we will were all watching it analog he would look like he was just staring at the car the whole time.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
Its me. Im the kid who wanted egons haircut from RGB and ended up with a rat tail.

More in line, i went to one of the anniversary screenings and it was amazing. So many dads with their kids seeing it for the first time. And some dudes in homemade jumpsuits fashioned from their air force ones. One of the best packed theater experiences I've ever had.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Its me. Im the kid who wanted egons haircut from RGB and ended up with a rat tail.

More in line, i went to one of the anniversary screenings and it was amazing. So many dads with their kids seeing it for the first time. And some dudes in homemade jumpsuits fashioned from their air force ones. One of the best packed theater experiences I've ever had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLhmy8mTLaQ

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Basebf555 posted:

Winston does get the hero shot in 2 though, where he busts in the door with the fire extinguisher to save Ray and Egon. As a kid that was all I needed to see, he was my favorite Ghostbuster after that.

I had forgotten this part even existed since I haven't seen GB2 in like, 20 years, but the instant you mentioned it I saw the shot in my head, and yeah I remember thinking how badass Winston was when I was a kid (like every kid thought that it seemed like) and I'm pretty it was that hero shot that was the reason.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

For years the best way to watch Ghostbusters was a VHS tape hooked to a 27 inch tv with RCA cables. I wonder if that little shocked sigh would even be noticeable. He barely even moves. It’s obvious now on my phone but I’m guessing in the late 80s when we will were all watching it analog he would look like he was just staring at the car the whole time.

Nah, I noticed it when I saw it theaters (And originally at a drive-in!), in 84.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah it's subtle but I always noticed it. I was born like the year Ghostbusters came out so I never saw it in theaters, and only watched it on VHS or cable and it was noticeable even in the old standard def.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah it's subtle but I always noticed it. I was born like the year Ghostbusters came out so I never saw it in theaters, and only watched it on VHS or cable and it was noticeable even in the old standard def.
My first memory is seeing Ghostbusters. Pretty sure I was still deaf at the time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I grew up with a version of GB tapes off of TV, commercials and bad tracking included, and his look, while definitely subtle, was noticeable back then.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I was too young to know anything about cars or money so I didn’t know that was a lot of stuff to fix or a high price to pay but I remember thinking it was funny that Ray said “rear end”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The ‘you can keep the 5 bucks!’ gets funnier the further away from 1984 we come.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gnome de plume posted:

The premise has me thinking about Extreme Ghostbuster, but a bit younger and a few more decades added on.

God, I wish.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Merry Christmas!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ernie Hudson is somehow 74 today.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The_Doctor posted:

Ernie Hudson is somehow 74 today.

Here he is 2 years ago, so 72...

there is a reason "black don't crack" became a thing

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
He's started to show the age a bit more in some recent photos I've seen, but like, still I'd have guessed he was about 60.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ehud posted:

Here he is 2 years ago, so 72...

there is a reason "black don't crack" became a thing

I, uh, would absolutely hit that still.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Being an ex marine could mean like he did a four year stint, it doesn't invalidate his everyman status.

For an ex-marine he didn't seem douchebag-ish enough, though

l33tfuzzbox posted:

I did that too when I was a kid. Cut it off after everyone at school would tug on it because pulling people's hair is funny in jr high

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 22, 2019

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98auPJm9420

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/billbria/status/1215419205002190848?s=20

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

that's awesome and now i want to watch it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dorium posted:

that's awesome and now i want to watch it.

Here ya go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzQkQQEBt8o&t=62s

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Apparently, they held back quite a bit from the trailer.

Also, Jason Reitman is a huge fan of practical special effects, and used them as much as possible in the film.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Can anyone recommend good toys for kids to bust ghosts with? My nephew is turning 4 and loves ghostbusters. I got him hooked on the moves and the cartoon... He said he wants a pack for his birthday, but they all seem like pretty serious replicas, or inflatable garbage. When I was a kid we had the Real ghostbusters stuff, but I can't find any now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Get the 60 dollar spirit one. Heck any of those props would be great for playing with.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If any of my aunts/uncles had bought me anything even half as good as the $60 Spirit pack when I was 4 they would have been my favourite relative for life, it's absolutely worth it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The 2020 film toys will be announced very soon at the NY Toy Fair, and I feel like there’s almost certainly going to be a proton pack in there. But that would probably mean waiting a few months for release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

A proton pack is not a toy.