Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You can absolutely disable the minimap and most other UI elements in GTA V. There are groups that play custom game modes that depend on turning off most of the UI and the honor system, to let players blend in with NPCs.

Still mad that GTA Online exists and we didn't get the ability to create actually good game modes in GTA V. It has so much unrealized potential as a platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
FiveM exists, my dude.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.naughtydog.com/greenhouse/job/859780?gh_jid=859780

Looks like we might be getting TLOU2 on PC eventually, Naughty Dog is hiring graphics devs familiar with Nvidia GPUs and DX12/Vulkan APIs.

They might be boilerplate requirements but with more Sony stuff coming to PC now it's not outside the realm of possibility.

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 19, 2020

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

haldolium posted:

sounds good for a lot of still good looking games.

ABZU, Darksiders DE and 3, Dear Esther, Inside, Dishonored, Divinity Original Sins 2, Doom (2016), Dying Light, Everspace, FAR Lone Sails, GRIS, Shadow Warrior 1/2, Hard Reset, Hellblade, KONA, Mad Max, Metro 2033/LL redux, ORI, RIME, Risen Ruiner, STALKER CoP/SoC (+mods), Sleeping Dogs DE, Tokyo 42, Transistor, Trine 2/3, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, The Witness.

I haven't checked prices, but those should run all at 2k at least, maybe with a few options not at max. Some should run in 4k. 2D titles like GRIS or INSIDE look gorgous but are not very resource demanding.

Awesome! A lot of these are a few years old so I can grab em for cheap and they look like some pretty pictures.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
So got Warhammer Inquisitor Martyr on PS4 (Imperium Edition will all dlcs) for 16 bucks this weekend and played it quite a bit today after spending years with in on my wishlist apprehensive because of reviews and..............I like it. It's Warhammer, so it is over the top in all the weirdest ways - fake Greek words are my favorite of the bunch - but it is a fun arpg with a mission format and loot. Im happy. It isnt without it's issues, but it is quite fun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

repiv posted:

https://www.naughtydog.com/greenhouse/job/859780?gh_jid=859780

Looks like we might be getting TLOU2 on PC eventually, Naughty Dog is hiring graphics devs familiar with Nvidia GPUs and DX12/Vulkan APIs.

They might be boilerplate requirements but with more Sony stuff coming to PC now it's not outside the realm of possibility.

This is very interesting since PlayStation 5 is using AMD / ATI for its CPU and GPU, so hiring with familiarity with Nvidia does lean very heavily into PC releases.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

I said come in! posted:

This is very interesting since PlayStation 5 is using AMD / ATI for its CPU and GPU, so hiring with familiarity with Nvidia does lean very heavily into PC releases.

I mean frankly it feels like we are past the age of consoles in more ways then one.

Also what does Sony care, the people who buy a PC port are never going to buy a Ps5. But by getting them into the Playstation/Sony ecosystem they push their brand. Especially with Sony trying to get into more then just electronics. Are you tied enough into the brand to buy a Sony car?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PlayStation 5 will still be a purchase for me if the rumored extensive backwards compatibility turns out to be true.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Make it easy for me to buy old PlayStation games digitally and it's a no brainer buy for me.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Completely serious question: is Thief Simulator any good? It looks like euro-jank garbage that got churned out of the same factory that makes a million farm/lumberjack/pet store simulation games every year, but the name keeps coming up and apparently it's actually kinda-sorta fun?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Omi no Kami posted:

Completely serious question: is Thief Simulator any good? It looks like euro-jank garbage that got churned out of the same factory that makes a million farm/lumberjack/pet store simulation games every year, but the name keeps coming up and apparently it's actually kinda-sorta fun?
It is the only simulator game I would push on anyone. It has NG+ and is still getting updates. Each house is like a puzzle to speedrun and you get more options as you buy more equipment.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 20, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Also what does Sony care, the people who buy a PC port are never going to buy a Ps5.

People who have a gaming PC also having a console isn't that uncommon

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Scalding Coffee posted:

It is the only simulator game I would push on anyone. It has NG+ and is still getting updates. Each house is like a puzzle to speedrun and you get more options as you buy more equipment.

smh @ anyone who thinks stuff like Car Mechanic Sim and House Flipper are on the same level as Warehouse Logistics Simulator or whatever other super low budget German simulators.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Game Simulator Simulator 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Thief Simulator is on the better end of janky euro sim games and its pretty fun if you like stealthish games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bentacos posted:

Game Simulator Simulator 2020

https://store.steampowered.com/app/239820/Game_Dev_Tycoon/

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Stuck with the new Gemcraft and it's pretty good and addicting, especially once I got used to it. Trials are good, though Endurance can kinda gently caress off but at least I can just smash the Wizard Chests and end it. I think I had an allergic reaction because it introduced a bunch of systems and poo poo and I was getting Dungeon Warfare 2 flashbacks where they just added so much stuff and it ruined the game for me because I loved DW1 so much and man, 2 was jsut too much systems and crafting and map options.

Would recommend if someone wants a new TD

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

John Murdoch posted:

smh @ anyone who thinks stuff like Car Mechanic Sim and House Flipper are on the same level as Warehouse Logistics Simulator or whatever other super low budget German simulators.

Yeah, the Thief Sim people are good rear end sim makers. They produce a lot, and there's jank in every seam, but they make some excellent games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Andrast posted:

People who have a gaming PC also having a console isn't that uncommon

If the market is out there and you're selling consoles at a loss then in Sony's mind it might no longer matter if you're playing first-party games on PC or on their own system. Consoles are just PCs nowadays anyway so it's not like the work to port them is what it used to be.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

If the market is out there and you're selling consoles at a loss then in Sony's mind it might no longer matter if you're playing first-party games on PC or on their own system. Consoles are just PCs nowadays anyway so it's not like the work to port them is what it used to be.

Looking forward to PlaystationOS when Sony wants to avoid the valve/epic tax.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

Exclusives drive console sales.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
God knows that if it wasn't for a handful of exclusive games, I never would've even considered buying a console... and I didn't actually do it even then.

On the other hand, I already do have a gaming-capable PC and to a lot of people, going to the effort of making and maintaining one just altogether isn't worth the effort. In Japan, which is still one of the primary markets that console games are developed, PC gaming is barely even a thing last I heard.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

haldolium posted:

Most games are cross-platform. Exclusives are a tool to drive people who would purchase a different console to purchase your console. MS realized, and Sony now seems to be realizing, that as far as PC gamers go there's more revenue to be had selling them your exclusives than there is trying to sell them a console.

Things are different for Nintendo because almost everything worthwhile on Nintendo consoles is truly exclusive, and the hardware is typically cheaper, so it's easier to make the sales.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

haldolium posted:

You're either a) buying a console because PCs are intimidating/too confusing/complex/expensive, and prefer couch-potato gaming but don't/can't setup Steam link, in which case a PC version is just extra revenue; or b) you have a PC that's your primary and you're buying a console for an exclusive(s) that you play once n done and it collects dust. The former group is the big bucks, the lattergroup not so much and probably revenue neutral +/- at best.

Personally, if the PS4 didn't have Bloodborne, (and HZD + God of War was a nice cherry. It's no longer exclusive but I alsi got it when Yakuza was PS4-only) I wouldn't have bought a PS4. As it is, I haven't touched it since GoW came out and probably won't. I would have bought Death Stranding for it but they announced a PC version so I'm just waiting. Sony probably barely broke positive on me since I didn't pay for any of those PS Vue/Now/etc subs, indie licensing fees, lots of games, etc. I, and others like me, are not their target demographic because it's not much money.

Switch on the other hand is great. Nintendo really puts out some of the best and just highly polished AAA games where you can tell they refine refine refine, although their QA/QC is a bit slipping but still way better than every other Big Gaming Conglomerate out there. It's also great for portability where I've repurchased several indie games that I already had on my PC, Casual Party Gaming, Ring fit, etc; and is pretty cheap. I have no regrets getting a PC+Switch combo.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 20, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PC sales comprise such a small and non-interfering share of the console market that I think MS/Sony are starting to see the value in timed exclusives followed by ports. Or at the very least, selling the license to have another publisher do the actual hard work of porting it, like they've done with Death Stranding + probably Horizon. It's not 2007 anymore and basically every video game system runs off of x86 architecture now.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Xaris posted:

Switch on the other hand is great. Nintendo really puts out some of the best and just highly polished AAA games where you can tell they refine refine refine, although their QA/QC is a bit slipping but still way better than every other Big Gaming Conglomerate out there. It's also great for portability where I've repurchased several indie games that I already had on my PC, Casual Party Gaming, Ring fit, etc; and is pretty cheap. I have no regrets getting a PC+Switch combo.

Underpowered hardware with awful QC (Switch shipped with huge controller problems, DS had a lottery where you could pay the same for a unit with an ips or tn screen), paid online sub that requires a phone app if you want to talk to other players, they hate putting their first-party games on sale (scalpers love it tho) and their support outside the US, western EU and Japan is non existant (I live in Poland and still have to use their UK site to buy their games online). Also tons of very polished but shallow games that get great reviews because they are 'charming'.

Nintendo's as awful as all the other big corps, just in different ways.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Legacy of Kain bundle on Fanatical

For less than four bucks you can play gothic zelda and listen to some of the best voice acting ever made for video games

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

That made me go and check. Blood Omen 2 is on Steam but Square-Enix are not including it in the bundle for whatever reason. The original Blood Omen doesn't seem to be available digitally.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
God dammit!

First Cyberpunk 2077 and now Dying Light 2 :(

https://twitter.com/TechlandGames/status/1219288610211614720

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fart of Presto posted:

God dammit!

Motherfucker. I was looking forwards to playing that soon.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

ErrEff posted:

That made me go and check. Blood Omen 2 is on Steam but Square-Enix are not including it in the bundle for whatever reason. The original Blood Omen doesn't seem to be available digitally.

i dont know about blood omen 2 but the original blood omen has a lot of legal issues preventing its pc release

iirc the psx version can be bought off psn since it escaped that for whatever reason

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
It's pretty clear that all these delays are due to the new console hardware releasing later this year. No reason to release high budget titles on consoles that are going to be old in a few months.

nuanced as always, psyduckfan6969
\/\/\/\/\/

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 20, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Underpowered hardware with awful QC (Switch shipped with huge controller problems, DS had a lottery where you could pay the same for a unit with an ips or tn screen), paid online sub that requires a phone app if you want to talk to other players, they hate putting their first-party games on sale (scalpers love it tho) and their support outside the US, western EU and Japan is non existant (I live in Poland and still have to use their UK site to buy their games online). Also tons of very polished but shallow games that get great reviews because they are 'charming'.

Nintendo's as awful as all the other big corps, just in different ways.

The switch rules and so do Nintendo games

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sequence breaking is fun and rewarding.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The switch is cute. It's cute. Easily stolen, but cute

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Fart of Presto posted:

God dammit!

Least surprising news of the year.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

At least Dead Island 2 should be coming out on time

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

nuanced as always, psyduckfan6969
\/\/\/\/\/

I kind of want to change my name to psyduckfan6969

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

really if you don't have backlogs that make up for any possible delays you're not playing steam right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
If anyone is a fan of games about exploring impossible constructs such as NaissanceE and Antichamber should check out Manifold Garden. It's a trip and one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. Epic exclusive for the moment.