Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Holy hell

I'm in a pizzeria and the pizza came uncut but with a pair of scissors

Cobra was a documentary
Hey bro, wanna go bang axes together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

feedmyleg posted:

Looks like Shane Carruth is getting out of the game after his next project. Can't say I'm surprised based on his success rate in the industry, it's got to be incredibly frustrating to battle uphill agains the Hollywood franchise machine and lack of mid-budget greenlights if you're a guy who just wants to make small, interesting, and thoughtful genre flicks. It's especially a shame that A Topiary had such a low budget and still couldn't find funding (even if I found the script fairly impenetrable a few years ago), but it's always notable to see when these sorts of guys burn out of the industry.

At least he seems to have a good head on his shoulders when it comes to what he wants to do with the rest of his life

On one hand, how disappointing. On the other hand, Carruth never really made marketable films, at best ones that everyone said were clever. On the third hand, Hollywood really didn't believe in niche films.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

got any sevens posted:

Holy hell

I'm in a pizzeria and the pizza came uncut but with a pair of scissors

Cobra was a documentary

Yeah, but in Cobra he is clearly using the scissors to actually eat the pizza, like you would a fork, not cut it up iirc.

So Cobra is still weird as gently caress and also awesome.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

No, just to make it bite sized.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
drat :(

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
“This pizza is a disease.....and i’m the cure.”

Cobra is a masterpiece that only George Cosmatos could’ve made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBcCojYw3ik

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The original cut of Cobra was like three hours long but they cut it down to 85 minutes which is amazing because it means they cut so much out but everyone agreed to keep the part where Stallone walks out with a giant novelty burger and says your burger's ready.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Gonz posted:

What a weird pivot to movies about lobsters and deers

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

The original cut of Cobra was like three hours long but they cut it down to 85 minutes which is amazing because it means they cut so much out but everyone agreed to keep the part where Stallone walks out with a giant novelty burger and says your burger's ready.
Now it's not like the additional 1:15 was going to make it make more sense. But there's probably tons of stupid gold in there.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Strongly recommend people check out the unofficial Cobra remake series from Italy, Black Cobra starring Fred Williamson and its two sequels (there's a fourth one but it's composed of like test shots and alternate takes of the previous movies with like ten minutes of new footage).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1cKtmo56MQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmKKJP5OlJc

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Cobra has abhorrent politics but is an extremely entertaining movie with an amazing soudntrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4CCg4dYe0A

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

duz posted:

No, just to make it bite sized.

Only just now realized how bizarre it is that he's eating pizza with his gloves on.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Reminder:

quote:

When Sylvester Stallone was signed to play the lead in Beverly Hills Cop, he decided to rewrite the script almost completely, removing nearly all the comedic aspects and turning it into an action movie that he felt was better suited to him. The studio read his revised script, and they rejected it, citing action scenes that were far beyond what their projected budget would allow. Stallone eventually left Beverly Hills Cop, and he channeled his ideas for that movie into an original script.

The novel Fair Game by Paula Gosling was cited as source material, enough so that she received a screen credit. When Cobra came out, Sylvester Stallone allegedly wanted the novel to be reissued with himself credited as co-author. Gosling declined the offer. The 1995 movie Fair Game was also based on the same novel by Gosling.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but Blazing Saddles was a major hit, it made over 100 million on a budget of only a few million. Kinda like how The Matrix is gonna get most of the credit for the trends that became popular after it's release, even though Dark City had been out there for a year before that. The movie that connects with audiences the most gets the credit.

I'm really not convinced that Blazing Saddles was a genre landmark (tombstone). It was successful for sure, but it was satirizing a style of western that was long past it's prime at that point. If it came out in 64 instead of 74, sure that would be significant, but the continuing decline of popularity of traditional western after 74 might as well be exactly what would happen without Blazing Saddles. It kinda reminds of how Spaceballs satirized 70s sci-fi films (mostly ANH and Alien). It's far too removed from that era to hold any significance to it.

There was also a Czechoslovakian parody western called Lemonade Joe released in 1964 that spoofed the traditional western tropes. It's an interesting film that holds fairly well. I don't think it's really known internationally. I would recommend it to people who are interested in westerns or western comedies. Here's some trailer with english subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5Lg_14m-sM

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I mean, Spaceballs has a lot of other problems.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Gonz posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1218261175764430849

Oscar Isaac typecast as Ex Machina Guy.

I don't see this working as a movie. Series or bust. To say nothing about how the comic ends with Mitchell admitting he used his powers to rig the election, kills his best friend who learned about it and went on to become John McCain's VP, which would be a hell of a thing to pull off today.

Speaking of which, will they also have the still standing tower of the World Trade Center?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Captain Jesus posted:

There was also a Czechoslovakian parody western called Lemonade Joe released in 1964 that spoofed the traditional western tropes. It's an interesting film that holds fairly well. I don't think it's really known internationally. I would recommend it to people who are interested in westerns or western comedies. Here's some trailer with english subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5Lg_14m-sM

Lemonade Joe is pretty good. But you can even expand beyond that one example, Western movies were a huge genre in the Eastern Bloc in the 50s/60s/70s and they were all revisionist to some degree (either adapting the Western tropes to Russian expansion in Siberia or the Russian Civil War, or still being set in the American West but with the Native Americans as the heroes and the cowboys as the villains). That being said I'm not sure how widely seen those movies were in the US at the time. Or even now, outside of some niche audiences.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Chairman Capone posted:

Lemonade Joe is pretty good. But you can even expand beyond that one example, Western movies were a huge genre in the Eastern Bloc in the 50s/60s/70s and they were all revisionist to some degree (either adapting the Western tropes to Russian expansion in Siberia or the Russian Civil War, or still being set in the American West but with the Native Americans as the heroes and the cowboys as the villains ). That being said I'm not sure how widely seen those movies were in the US at the time. Or even now, outside of some niche audiences.

Do you know the names of any of these offhand? I'd love to check them out.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

Do you know the names of any of these offhand? I'd love to check them out.

The Sons of Great Bear is the traditional go-to. It's also interesting in that it's a pan-Eastern movie, a joint East German/Czechoslovak/Yugoslav production. Also like with Django it spawned a huge number of sequels that kept the general setting and the main character but not a lot (or any) direct plot continuity. I think the series kept going almost up until the fall of the wall.

There's also a 1970s East German biopic of Tecumseh just called "Tecumseh", which I believe also stars the main actor from Sons of Great Bear. I think it was common in East German Westerns for Yugoslav actors to play Native Americans, which is an interesting phenomenon in its own right.

I believe a number of the Italian spaghetti Westerns were also done with Yugoslavs which makes me wonder if perhaps some of those movies did draw from those Eastern Bloc Western genres.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm sorry, I was joking. I have no insight into the whats and whos of National Treasure 3. Cage is probably gonna be in it, what else would he have on his schedule?

Richard Stanley's Color Out of Space...

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gonz posted:

Dear god. I only just now, in this very moment, realized that Panos Cosmatos' dad directed Cobra.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Dear god. I only just now, in this very moment, realized that Panos Cosmatos' dad directed Cobra.

And not only that, but Panos directed his own movies with money that George earned making stuff like Cobra, Rambo 2 and Tombstone.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Chairman Capone posted:

The Sons of Great Bear is the traditional go-to. It's also interesting in that it's a pan-Eastern movie, a joint East German/Czechoslovak/Yugoslav production. Also like with Django it spawned a huge number of sequels that kept the general setting and the main character but not a lot (or any) direct plot continuity. I think the series kept going almost up until the fall of the wall.

I'm surprised I've never heard of the Sons of Great Bear. It seems to be mostly forgotten in the Czech Republic, unlike the Karel May adaptations, which are revered and air somewhat regularly on tv.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I did not expect to see that Bad Boys For Life is expected to have a pretty big weekend for a film in a franchise that will now span 4 decades

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Gonz posted:

And not only that, but Panos directed his own movies with money that George earned making stuff like Cobra, Rambo 2 and Tombstone.

Are you telling me that the existence of Cobra and Rambo 2 contributed to the existence of Mandy? :aaa:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Are you telling me that the existence of Cobra and Rambo 2 contributed to the existence of Mandy? :aaa:

That is indeed what I am saying.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I finally got to watch Parasite on video after dodging spoilers for half a year (new baby, no theatre time) and HOOOOOLY poo poo.

This movie is just a masterclass in film.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

I finally got to watch Parasite on video after dodging spoilers for half a year (new baby, no theatre time) and HOOOOOLY

This movie is just a masterclass in film.

This ain’t good movie chat

If you have A list though y’all need to watch Dolittle. It’s pretty “awful by committee” though not without a certain poochy charm.

It’s got RDJ who I swear to god has his dialogue ADR’d the entire movie.

It’s got Michael sheen mugging it up as the villain doing just about everything but twirl his mustache

It’s got animals being friends

It’s got Antonio Banderas coming in for one last ham caricature in an adventure travelogue

It’s got assplay

Go watch dolittle. If you don’t have A list and can’t I’m good conscience spend money on it buy a ticket to something good and go watch it. Even if there’s assigned seating you probably won’t take it from someone

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
But does he make out with a seal?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

is "throw seal into the ocean" doolittle better than "plugging a dragon's rear end in a top hat" doolittle

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I...haven’t seen Seal dolittle

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm pretty sure that's a sea lion anyway, so he must not be an awesome vet.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Also Bad Boys literally references 4chan so there’s that

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So that explains why it's doing so well, the theaters are being flooded by all the QAnon Digital Soldiers.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Bad Boys for Life is making enough money that we might get Bad Boys 4ever.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They announced it was in production as soon as Thusday preview sales broke records.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The new doolittle has an ant quoting The Godfather
Its real bad, like zootopia

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The chatter a year or so back was that Bad Boys was being viewed as a way to launch a multicultural Bad Girls spinoff. Haven't seen the film so how much of that got to the final draft?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m glad Martin Lawrence is getting a late career renaissance with this and the Beach Bum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Black Knight 2 when